View Full Version : Radio Failure Procedure

FL245
17th Jan 2000, 20:47
Scenario

Climbing out of a small unlicensed airfield with parachutists on board for FL100. Contact London prior to entering controlled airspace, given clearance by London to climb to FL100 and call when ready for drop.

Passing FL80, now inside controlled airspace, radio failure on both sets.

What Next ?

1. Transponder to 7600.

2. Since I was cleared to FL100, am I correct in understanding that I should continue the climb for FL100?

3. Unable to drop parachutes, as we do not have a clearance to do so.

4. Do I simply descend through controlled airspace and land at my unlicensed airfield and telephone LATCC.

Comments …….

(Also posted this in R & N)

jjj
18th Jan 2000, 15:16
Yes. Sounds good. Radio fail procedures can't cover every situation. A degree of common sense is required. I would suggest maintaining F100 for a coupla minutes so that the controller has a chance to start moving traffic if need be. Squawk ident before your commence descent (attract attention to your paint, "hey I am about to do something watch me please and move anything out of my road"). The only drawback to squawking ident is that the controller is going to be saying :- "XXX123 if you can read this transmission squawk ident" and he may think your are reading him when you aren't

FL245
18th Jan 2000, 17:49
JJJ, Do you think that since being last cleared to FL100 or in some cases FL120 should I continue to struggle up there or sinply stop the climb when problem develops ?

The a/c is a single and takes its time to climb.

I understand your comment about use of ident ... but if I am on 7600, this will flash on the radar screen for the controller, so attention should be drawn.

Any LATCC controllers from TC freq 133.07 care to comment ?

10W
18th Jan 2000, 23:32
We have the following agreement with a parachute operator in our neck of the woods. It may not be practicable in the airspace you are talking about of course.

1. If clearance to climb in CAS is given and the aircraft then radio fails before clearance to commence the drop is given, the pilot shall leave CAS at the cleared level and then remain clear of CAS.

2. If clearance to drop has been given, then the drop should be completed and the aircraft descended as normal to leave CAS.

This is covered in a written agreement between ATC and the club so both are fully aware of what will happen. I suggest that if there is any doubt then your club agrees with LATCC in writing what actions should be taken.

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]
ICQ 18043595

FL245
19th Jan 2000, 21:14
10 West

Good idea... Will get in touch with LATCC.

Cheers

FL245