PDA

View Full Version : LVP's

fuzzy15
12th May 2001, 01:06
Please can someone in this forum answer a simple question from me - what (if any) is the minimum distance allowed between an aircraft on the runway waiting to take off and an aircraft on the approach to land in LVP's ?

Thanks

Push Approved
12th May 2001, 02:01
By the time an inbound aircraft reaches 2nm from touchdown, the departing a/c must be airborne and overhead the localiser ariel, to provide a protected LSA, & a CATIII landing. (This generally requires the departure to be rolling by the time the inbound is at 4/6nm.)
If its inside 2nm and the departures not yet airborne, then the books say "Smoke on! Go!" and you've got a go around inside 2dme, and a departure just away!!
In LVPS, its not fun!
If its simply an arrival runway, and not mixed mode, then the inbound can run to 1nm from touchdown, waiting for the one ahead to vacate the LSA.
Hope this helps.
Just wondering if you've had a bad experience of LVPS lately?

Lew Ton
12th May 2001, 21:39
We aim to give landing clearing by 4nm, or 2nm at the absolute latest, to ensure the Localiser Sensitive Area is clear of the departure.

Pushed Approved: I'm not sure I agree with your 1nm with successive arrivals for the same reason, the previous landing needs to be outside the LSA and 1nm is leaving it a bit tight when the LLZ signal may be interfered with. We still use 4 and 2. Is this somewhere 'a bit busier'? :)

[typo]

[This message has been edited by Lew Ton (edited 12 May 2001).]

Push Approved
12th May 2001, 22:05
Lew Ton,

I totally agree, it can be quite tight!! However, these are the rules in our MATS2, and we play them to the full. We tend to do it this tight to keep the delays to a minimum. Heathrow and Gatwick use the same criteria so its been used often enough to know it works. We don't do it gung ho, we still operate totally safely, and if it gets too hairy, we increase the spacing (Normally 6nm for a pack, and 8/10nm for a gap) As for knowing when the LSA is clear, thats what an SMR is for. Spacing at units will differ depending on RET's and equipment available, but we get paid to shift traffic safely and keep the delays down, and thats what we try to do. And yes, its just a little bit busier, but you'll be doing it too in the near future when the GS is screaming about en-route holding and inbound delays!!

[This message has been edited by Push Approved (edited 12 May 2001).]

fuzzy15
13th May 2001, 01:13
Operating in to EDI recently at 2.6nm final for 06 - aircraft ahead given T/O clearance - followed shortly by the LOC signal 'kicking' as the aircraft overflew the aerial after take off - just a bit unusual thats all and I wanted to find out what the limits were - thanks for the replies