View Full Version : ATCO Flight Deck Awareness

PPRuNe Radar
23rd Feb 1999, 22:57
A recent UK report from the AAIB raised the issue that ATC often did not appreciate the performance of aircraft under their control and that more liasion should take place.

Some companies have formal schemes for getting ATCO's on flight decks but quite often the conditions (both from the ATCO's employer and the airline involved) are not exactly enticing and you're treated a bit like a third class citizen. Others have informal local schemes which generally are very good. And of course many of us have pilot associates who can make arrangements for us to take a trip.

But having recognised that there is a problem what should industry do to resolve it ? Make trips mandatory (but without the stigma of sub load tickets, no expenses, etc.) perhaps. I know that aircrew also generally appreciate these trips (you can keep them right on the RT and make sure they don't bust their clerance !!) and can learn something too so why is it not given a high profile ?

U B Nadd
25th Feb 1999, 00:10
And wouldn't it be nice to see a pilot or few in the Ops room.
We hear so much about CDAs, ideal profiles, SWORD fuel loads etc etc etc - an educated appreciation of what those impossible requests mean to ATC might help to smooth some of the ripples.

U B Nadd
25th Feb 1999, 00:10
And wouldn't it be nice - oops sorry! double clicked.

[This message has been edited by U B Nadd (edited 24 February 1999).]

10W
25th Feb 1999, 01:11
U B Nadd has a point, but it should be a two way street with programmes set up for both sides of the mike. I suppose the problem is that time costs money to companies these days (ATC & airlines)and maybe the ATCO trips are seen as jollies by the bean counters ?

Genghis the Engineer
26th Feb 1999, 15:48
Let's face it between the key trades of ATC, Pilot and Engineer it would be very useful if we all understood each others problems a bit better - maybe even the commercial chappies should be included in this too.

Then again, with the enormous time it take any aviation professional to do their job and remain current it seems a bit of an uphill struggle.

I'm not sure if I can offer a solution, other than to suggest that as professionals we all aught to make an effort ourselves, and managers aught to understand these needs; lets face it, in aviation there are often enough periods when any of us are sat idle (between the chaotic bits) that grabbing occasional opportunities shouldn't be too hard, it just takes a bit of will.

[This message has been edited by Genghis the Engineer (edited 26 February 1999).]