PDA

View Full Version : Night shifts in the rest of the world

cvuser01id
10th May 2001, 01:32
Now my company has a new owner I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be asked to work more hours. And I suspect that the norm as I know it may be up for challenge.

As a spinoff from this I wondered how non-UK ATC units staff night shifts. We're subject to SRATCOH rules which mean more or less 90-120min max in position although it's dead quiet.

I'm wondering what FAA, Eurocontrol do..... i.e. do you have the same staff (qualifications) in the dead of night as you do during peak daytime ops? Or is there a 'night shift' validation?

Yes I know Dubai etc is busy at night...I'm thinking of quiet places.

LoLevel
10th May 2001, 13:24
2200-0600 local. One person in ACC (Radar).Movements probably only 30 on average, but no breaks - other duties also.

PMS
10th May 2001, 14:12
guys,
In Oz I know that they only staff one on mids and in Canada a mate of mine says they staff 2 on mids. On the safety issue side of things there should be 2 or more at any time to make sure that there is a min time to work (eg 2 to 3 hrs) irrespective of how DEAD it may be. It is a safety issue simple as that and all ANS providors should accept they have a responsibility to the travelling even on mids.

Scarface Claw
13th May 2001, 10:08
In NZ we have 1 person per TMA/APP (civil) sector over night if they are able to self break every 2 hours(max) otherwise it is 2. Busy times are Christmas and Public holidays it is during these times that we may have 2 on deck.
On the Area sectors (x5) they are all combined and we have 2 persons. That way relief is immediately available and assistance can be called if required. NZALPA (the Union) have been rather forceful in maintaining the same rules for day and night ops.

[This message has been edited by Scarface Claw (edited 13 May 2001).]

atc_ring
14th May 2001, 12:34
Here's what things are like in Athens' ACC:

A 6day cycle consists of
a late afternoon shift (18:00-23:30), afternoon shift (13:00-19:00),
a morning shift (07:00-14:00)
and a Night shift (23:00-08:00, usually this is split in two parts 23:00-04:00 and 04:00-08:00), followed by a 2day off...

Sector configuration:
1. summer period: sectors are collapsed to 4 or 5 (day-time: 8 or 10)and staffed by three controllers (1 executive-radar, 1 planner and 1 assistant)
2. winter period (approx. Oct. to May)
sectors collapse to 3 (from 5) and staffed by 2 or 3 according to ad hoc needs.

Each controller does 5 night shifts in the 36day shift cycle (6x6)
Night shift radar (executive) controllers are usually selected on a at least 3year previous experience.

note: ATC in Greece is administered by HCAA - a state owned body.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by atc_ring (edited 14 May 2001).]

caba
16th May 2001, 00:01
Hi folks!

I work in Germany and we have nightshifts with high workloads in our sectors. During the inbound rush we have three sectors open, each with one controller. During the outbound phase we usually work all sectors combined with a single person plus one assistant.

In my view thatīs not really the best way to provide safety, and now it slowly changes as more and more colleagues are of the same opnion.

The general problem in our company (DFS) is the vast shortage of personnel.

I would like to know how it is in other countries??

millerman
16th May 2001, 22:10
In Maastricht,we collapse into 3 main sector groups.
Depending on the sector between 2 and 5 atco's start at 22:00 until 07:30 with breaks arranged per sector group and according to the traffic.
1 atco per sector group works 00:00 until 05:00.
Then 2 from the morning shift start work from 06:30.The rest start at 07:30

------------------
Turn llleft,No rrright,Disregard!