PDA

View Full Version : Aussie ATC testing???????

jimbo james
2nd May 2001, 08:20
For those of you that have been contacted via email about the training day on May 14th.........

Has anyone received any further announcements or instructions about the testing day????

Ignore this post......I spoke to soon!

[This message has been edited by jimbo james (edited 03 May 2001).]

Fire Starter
6th May 2001, 06:41
G'day Jimbo,

Just wondering in which city the testing day on the 14th will be held?

I've already done my testing and am waiting on a result. They said 1 - 2 weeks, but I believe they have to finish testing the rest of Oz before they decide.

Anyway, good luck.

------------------
If you can't see through the smoke - you're not low enough!

TinCanController
6th May 2001, 11:15
Fire Starter,

I've got the testing next week in Sydney too. What and how exactly do they test us ? Is it all computer-based assessment ? Interviews ? I understand there is an interview the next day. What was that like ?

Good luck to all !

Fire Starter
7th May 2001, 10:00
T.C.C,

For the best description of what to expect on testing day, go back to November last year in this forum. A few guys have "spilled the beans" on what to expect.

If you pass the testing day, then you have an interview the day after. I found the testing easy compared to the interview, but hey, that's just me. VERY curly questions ........ yeeeccchh! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Good luck!

------------------

TinCanController
7th May 2001, 16:14
Fire Starter,
Your help has been invaluable ! Thankyou kindly :)
When you say your interview was harder than your testing, what type of things did they grill you on ? Are they out to make you feel like crap, and then see how you can handle things ? Do they throw random math questions at you ? How much did they ask to test your knowledge of the job in general /motivation /ASA organisation /politics ???

TCC

tooradinflyer
8th May 2001, 16:33
hey guys,

i did the testing and interview in november... the testing, well for an idea of that look back thru posts from November / December last year... there's nothing like the test on the selectnet website... remember above all they are looking for accuracy!!! very few people complete the first test (maths with interrupt test) but you must get a certain amout correct!

the interview, wasn't all that hard. I was in melbourne, and it was with 3 guys: a HR person, an FIR manager, and a training manager. All very friendly and approachable. Most of the interviews in Melbourne lasted 30-45 mins, those in Brissy a little longer. No real correlation between success and length of interview.

They ask what skills you have, how they are applied in ATC, how a particular trait you have may be a downfall to being an ATC and whether you think you can get around it. How you will handle the change in lifestyle that comes with moving to melbourne for the course. All very friendly, and with the aim of just getting to know you, how you would fit into their organisation.

No one i asked copped any maths questions, or "case studies (ie what would u do if...)"... you may be asked about your history / interest in aviation... why you think ATC would be a good job.. how you would handle the stress (i said in Aust i didn't think it was as stressful as movies / media make it out to be, they seemed happy with that)

Just enjoy the interview (believe me it is possible) and remember at least a couple of the panel were in your shoes years ago, and understand EXACTLY what you are going through!

All the best!
rob

Fire Starter
8th May 2001, 16:36
TinCan,

In the interview they say they're trying to get to KNOW you - personality, etc. You don't need to bring anything to the interview.

Without giving too much away, they ask questions to test your integrity, and sometimes challenge your answers. Just stick to your principles and don't change them to please the panel - they may like your original answer.

No, they don't ask maths questions - that's done in the testing.

Yes, they do ask the obvious question "why do you want to be an ATC." ASA structure and politics was touched on, but in a general discussion kind of way.

Hope this helps - but only a bit! :)

Good luck.

------------------