PDA

View Full Version : Proof that Ryanair lies about on time performance

jettesen
16th Dec 2004, 21:47
has anyone looked on the ryanair website? How can they have 93% of flights arriving within 15 mins, but only 84% of flights arriving within the hour? Doesn't make sense. Does this mean that they are fixing their OTP? me thinks so

Results have been lie this all week, surely someone would have nitoced if this was a mistake,( as they are so 'proud' of their so called number 1 airline for ontime flights!)

Bomber Harris
16th Dec 2004, 22:46
Jettesen.....You have mixed up the facts here. 100% of all Ryanair flights which are on time arrive within 15 minutes of scheduled on blocks time. This was all worked out by the company accountant.

eng123
16th Dec 2004, 22:48
Why are you so quick to knock Ryanair? Honestly, I really dont get it. I have flown with them many times and have never had a major delay. In fact,come to think of it,never had a delay at all.
Like all airlines, there will always be the odd nightmare but if you want the full support of hotels etc then fly BA.
This is obviously a typo error as the two figures clearly don't match. The fact remains that Ryanair are one of the most punctual airlines that I have come across.

Localiser Green
16th Dec 2004, 23:32
Don't believe what easyJet and Ryanair tell you on their websites about on-time performance, they are very selective about what they choose to analyse.

Check out the official CAA stats at flightontime.info (http://www.flightontime.info) for a more accurate, comparable picture.

Ryanair are in fact very punctual compared with most to date this year, but they are not the best.

Funny to see BA and bmi performing worse than the low costs though!

dicksynormous
16th Dec 2004, 23:33
Who cares.........

ATC Watcher
17th Dec 2004, 06:17
It is not difficult to be more on time than others if most of your ops are with small regional airports.

Not like waiting 45 min past boarding time in a lounge with no info whatsover , and no-one to ask , take off one hour late, upon arriving be told to enter the hold for 20 min , then arrive at said airport to find gate occupied , parked remote stand, wait for bus, result arrival nearly 2 hours past published times. Connection lost, and if not with same airline,money lost.
This is not RYR , but a flight with one of Europe´s main carrier, 2 days ago.

jettesen
17th Dec 2004, 06:28
what i'm trying to say os how can they have 93% ontime within 15 mins, and only 84% arrive within the hour???? Does not add up. surely if ontimw within 15 mins is 93% then on time withing the hour should be higher. now lower. Someones teling porkies. Yet another lie from the airline we all love

DOVES
17th Dec 2004, 07:23
And above all: Which is the lie?
93% ontime within 15 mins; or only 84% arrive within the hour????

befree
17th Dec 2004, 07:36
If you look at the average delay and the flying times you see how ryanair cheat.
The stats say ryan air is 8 min late and easyjet ius 13 min late on average.

Both ryanair and easyjet do eastmidlands to rome
Ryanair timetabled to takes 2hr 45 min
easjet is timetabled to take 2hr 40min

So Ryanair is no faster it just has more buffer in the time table.:8

batty
17th Dec 2004, 08:11
What rubbish...if the passengers expect the flight to last 2.45 and it takes 2.45 or less then the passengers are happy, they know what they are getting. So what if they say it takes 5 mins more than Easy the important fact is that the passengers KNOW what they are getting.

Save the Ryan bashing this is just mud slinging for mud slingings sake.

gibney85
17th Dec 2004, 10:18
jettesen, you've confused those figures from ryanairs site

Surely Ryanair would have noticed a mistake something like that before it went on the net

If you read the sentence correctly, you will understand the context.

When your done with that, try to dig out some more Ryanair bashing. Alot of people seem to get off on that.

Facts dont lie - they're the cheapest and up there/ if not thee most punctual airline in europe. OK. they're punctuality cannot really be judged against Heathrow but thats because they dont fly to Heathrow, If they did, they'd still be in and out quicker than everyone else knowing Ryanair

Out of complete curiousity, just as i was typing the last paragrapgh above, i did a search in Google for 'Hate + Ryanair', and guess what came up - yep - www.ihateryanair.com. It seems to be under contruction at the moment.

Why do people expect first class for 99p + taxes flights - If you want better service choose BA, if you want a cheap no frills flight - Ryanair, simple, no need to bash them. Remember, they are forcing airlines to reduce fares all over Europe - about time too:ok:

MarkD
17th Dec 2004, 10:24
befree

if timetable arrangements are padding, train companies have been at it for a lot longer than MOL. It was quicker to get to many places in Victorian times than the 21st century!

jettesen
17th Dec 2004, 18:36
seems that they have since changed their statistics! something fishy here

LTNman
18th Dec 2004, 06:11
Low-cost airline Ryanair has been criticised by advertising watchdogs for
making misleading claims.
Ryanair ran newspaper adverts, which claimed it had "better punctuality"
than Easyjet, citing the Association of European Airlines (AEA) in the
advert.

Neither carrier is a member of the AEA and, Ryanair, whose main UK operation
is based at Stansted, was told "not to misattribute statistics".

Ryanair apologised for the advert but noted the sole complainant was
Easyjet.

The advert, with a headline "Why Pay More... To Arrive Later", contained a
table of statistics but the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said
Ryanair had "misleadingly implied" these were from an independent source.

Question of distance

In a separate ruling, the ASA has upheld complaints from two members of the
public over a Ryanair advert about new routes from Luton airport.

The airline had said Spanish destinations Girona and Reus served Barcelona.

The travellers, however, believed the two destinations were considerable
distances from the city, the ASA said.

The body said airlines should not claim airports served specific cities
unless those airports were listed by the International Air Transport
Association (IATA) as doing so.

Dublin-based Ryanair said the references had been published in error.

Complaints from the same two people over claims in the advert that Orio al
Serio, Ciampino, Treviso and Vasteras, respectively served Milan, Rome,
Venice and Stockholm, were rejected because they were included in IATA
listings.

DC10FAN
18th Dec 2004, 12:23
Batty,

Your quote"What rubbish...if the passengers expect the flight to last 2.45 and it takes 2.45 or less then the passengers are happy, they know what they are getting. So what if they say it takes 5 mins more than Easy the important fact is that the passengers KNOW what they are getting"

The passenger's expectation is not relevant in this case; on-time performance measures exactly that; the actual on-time performance. I agree entirely with the post by Befree; if an airline pads it's schedules by a greater amount then it's more likely to operate flights on-time(or within 15mins). That's simple maths.

Ziggy
18th Dec 2004, 13:22
DC10FAN,

I think you're missing the point of what Batty is trying to say. Befree suggests Ryanair is "cheating" by extending the schedule by 5 minutes. That's total nonsense. If Befree is right with the 8 and 13 minutes average delay times, then he's only proving the opposite.....Easyjet is cheating by trying to compete with Ryanair through advertising 5 minutes shorter flight times....and as a result not being able to make their scheduled flight time by averagely 5 minutes more than Ryanair.

I'll repeat what Batty was trying to say:

Save the Ryan bashing this is just mud slinging for mud slingings sake.

jabird
18th Dec 2004, 14:55
"Complaints from the same two people over claims in the advert that Orio al Serio, Ciampino, Treviso and Vasteras, respectively served Milan, Rome, Venice and Stockholm, were rejected because they were included in IATA listings."

And it looks like these two individuals were also Ryanair bashing for the sake of it. Granted, Vasteras is one of the most distant Ryanairports going, but I presume that the ASA also smoked them out over CIA, which is just 9.5 miles from Rome, compared to FCO, which is 23? And there's very little between BGY and MXP.

Whatever happened to Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)? The Ryanair website is very clear about the names and codes of each airport when booking is made. Is it really their fault if people don't check a map first?

ATNotts
18th Dec 2004, 15:09
I wonder if, per chance, the "two members of the public" who had little better to do than try to rubbish Ryanair, are also to be found amongst the various Ryanair Bashing threads that we see from time to time on these forums?

I don't know whether or not FR fiddles their on time statistics by one or more devious means. What I do know from annecdotal experience is that whilst waiting for flights at Stansted there seem to be many more tannoy apologies for delays to EZY flights, than there are Ryanair. Whats more, when you scan the arrivals screens FR flights do seem quite punctual.

Fofioo
18th Dec 2004, 16:41
Ryanair has many faults, but our punctuality perfomance is not one of them. The punctuality statistics for the last week as shown the website show 93% of flights on time (within 15 minutes) and 99 % within one hour.

This is also one of the unsung benefits of working for Ryanair. In my previous company, it was a fairly regular occurance for domestic plans to be thrown into disarray by disruption and delays at work. With Ryanair, the entire operation runs like clockwork, and if my roster says I will be home at say 3pm, I can fairly confidently predict that I will be.

Taking last weeks figures as an example, only 1% of Ryanair crews were over an hour late getting home.

nickmanl
18th Dec 2004, 18:55
Ryanair do not fiddle their puntuality times. There is a reason they are more punctual - the airports they serve!

Your much more likely to get held up at busy airports (eg U2 at Barcelona, Madrid etc) compared to FR at Girona, Reus or Vallodalid. Thats just common knowledge and its very clever advertising on behalf of Ryanair to exploit this fact.

My opinion of Ryanair is they need to do this advertising (continously slagging of Easy, BA etc) to pull the wool over the passengers eyes over the distance of their destinations from where you actually want to go. Easy don't have to this as they will attract passengers from wherever as they fly to the major airports in cities.

(PS before I get attacked for this, I would like to point out I have no preference over Ryanair or EasyJet!! I use whichever is cheapest or who flies the closest to where I need to go!)

VIKING9
19th Dec 2004, 08:29
So does it really take 1hr 10min to fly STN-NQY with FR :confused: More like 45min so no wonder they arrive on time or early !

Runway 31
19th Dec 2004, 09:24
All airlines add in a wee bit extra timing to their scheduled times. It makes sence as there are always the inevitable delays, i.e. ATC slots, traffic sequencing etc.

Just have a look at any of their scheduled flight times. Try BA, BMI etc on the GLA or EDI to London and you will see what I mean. Baby for example schedule 1 hour for Edinburgh- East Midlands.

Am I also correct in stating that the punctuality figures are published by the CAA ?.

Stu Bigzorst
21st Dec 2004, 23:20
OTP analysis for easyJet and Ryanair (http://www.flightontime.info/loco/loco.html)

antonovman
22nd Dec 2004, 00:58
ryanair always announce they have landed 15 or whatever minutes ahead of schedule just as soon as the a/c lands
they manipulte the bock time as oppsed to the flight time
on a recent flight they announced we had "arrived" not landed, 15 minutes ahead of schedule then we spent 20 minutes taxi-ing and waiting for a gate
that accounts to being 5 minutes late, but not in ryanairs book
they are just very sligh like all their dealings
on ontime departure in offlox on time and arrive at the gatge ontime, not when the a/c actually takes off or lands

befree
22nd Dec 2004, 07:54
I did not say Ryanair is "cheating". What I did was explain 1 way they achive better on time performance.

I have background in maths and hate firms using stats without providing the details of what they are counting. Until jan 10th all there Altenburg - Nobitz are off and passangers sent to Erfurt Airport by coach. There are often diversions to other airports due to fog. How are all these counted it the stats.

When they say 99% of flights arrive with in 1 hour in a certin week what do they keep out of the 1%.

Ryanair gets knockers because of the brash claims it makes every week. There is a lot of truth behind the claims. They are the cheapest airline and probabaly have the best performance. They then add lots of spin. They compare prices overall but not on like for like routes. There 50% cheaper than easyjet is just plain wrong. There aveagre fare is about 33% less than easyjets. On an idetical route the prices are about the same.

When they do there how many people we fly graphs are they always miss out easyjet. They advertising standards uphold many complints against ryanair every year.

batty
22nd Dec 2004, 14:37
There aveagre fare is about 33% less than easyjets. On an idetical route the prices are about the same.

uphold many complints

(not corrected for spooling ;) )

The term ABOUT isnt exactly statisticaly based is it? And many is that more than 1 or less than 50? Especialy since you
hate firms using stats without providing the details of what they are counting What details are you refering too?
Statistics can be made to show anything, you as a lucid inteligent individual have to realise this especialy being from a mathmatical background:ok:

Happy Christmas ...

befree
22nd Dec 2004, 14:59
To compare prices look at legs like
From ASA web site 5 complaints have been upheld against ryanair in the last 12 months.

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Adjudication+Details.htm?Adjudication_id=39073

Non-broadcast Adjudication

Ryanair Ltd
Ryanair Corporate Headquarters
Dublin Airport
Dublin
Ireland
Complaints upheld in last 12 months: 5

Date: 15th December 2004
Media: National press

Sector: Holidays and travel

Industry Complaints From: Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Warwickshire

Complaint:

easyJet Airline Company Ltd and two members of the public objected to two national press advertisements for an airline.

a. One advertisement was headlined "NEW ROUTES AT LUTON" and included a table that showed destinations and prices. The destinations were "DINARD", "DUBLIN", "ESBJERG", "MILAN (Orio al Serio)", "BARCELONA (Girona)", "BARCELONA (Reus)", "NIMES", "ROME (Ciampino)", "STOCKHOLM (Vasteras)", "VENICE (Treviso)" and "MURCIA".

b. A second advertisement was headlined "WHY PAY MORE ... TO ARRIVE LATER?" Text stated "Ryanair beats easyJet every week for on-time flights". A table contained punctuality statistics for the two airlines; it claimed that during the weeks ending 13 June, 20 June and 27 June 2004 Ryanair had been more punctual than easyJet. Text under the table stated "RYANAIR BEATS EASYJET EVERY WEEK FOR: MORE PASSENGERS, CHEAPER PRICES & BETTER PUNCTUALITY". A footnote at the base of the advertisement stated "Source: AEA Punctuality Statistics June 2004".

1. Two members of the public objected that advertisement (a) was misleading, because they believed that Orio al Serio, Girona, Reus, Ciampino, Vasteras and Treviso airports were considerable distances from the cities Ryanair claimed they served.

easyJet challenged:

2. whether the claim "BARCELONA (Girona)" in advertisement (a) was misleading, because they believed Girona was not classified as an airport that served Barcelona by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) ;

3. the performance claims in advertisement (b), because they believed the Association of European Airlines (AEA) did not publish on-time performance statistics for easyJet.

Codes Section: 3.1, 7.1, 18.1, 18.3 (Ed 11)

Adjudication:

1. & 2. Complaints upheld
The advertisers said the claims "BARCELONA (Reus)" and "BARCELONA (Girona)" had been published in error and apologised for their mistake. The advertisers pointed out that Orio al Serio, Ciampino, Vasteras and Treviso were listed by the International Air Travel Association (IATA) as airports that served Milan, Rome, Stockholm and Venice respectively. They argued that Orio al Serio was equidistant from Milan compared with Malpensa and that Ciampino was half the distance from Rome compared with Fiumicino.

The Authority considered that airports should not be advertised as serving specified cities unless the International Air Transport Association (IATA) listed them as serving those cities; it considered the distance from the airport to the city in question to be of secondary importance. It concluded that, because Orio al Serio, Ciampino, Vasteras and Treviso were all listed by IATA as airports that served the cities the advertisers had claimed, those claims were acceptable. The Authority noted, however, the advertisers had claimed in error that Reus and Girona airports served Barcelona. Because those airports were not listed by IATA as serving Barcelona, it concluded that those claims were misleading. It told the advertisers not to claim airports served specified cities unless those airports were listed by IATA as doing so.

3. Complaint upheld
The advertisers said it seemed that easyJet were questioning whether statistics compiled by airlines themselves could be accurate at all; they pointed out that both Ryanair and easyJet published such statistics on their own websites and argued that easyJet might be accused of having misled consumers as well. The advertisers said they were happy for the Authority or any other organisation to scrutinise their punctuality figures and the methods used to compile them.

The Association of European Airlines (AEA) said they had published a monthly Consumer Report since January 2003 and sent a copy of the most recent one, for July 2004. The AEA said the statistics quoted in advertisement (b) were misattributed and could not possibly have been compiled by the AEA; neither Ryanair nor easyJet were members of the AEA, which meant the AEA did not compile statistics on either airline''s performance.

The Authority considered that comparisons between two sets of punctuality statistics were misleading unless it could be shown that both sets of data were compiled with identical methodologies. The Authority considered that advertisement (b) misleadingly implied the quoted statistics were from an independent source. It told the advertisers not to misattribute statistics in future advertisements and to ensure that future advertisements featuring punctuality comparisons made those comparisons using statistics that were compiled using the same methodologies. Because it considered the punctuality comparison in advertisement (b) to be misleading, the Authority told the advertisers to consult the CAP Copy Advice team before making such comparisons in future.

batty
22nd Dec 2004, 17:51
Ahhh some more statistics

Number of passengers travelling on Ryanair rolling 12 months to Nov 2004 - 26,392,361

Number of complaints about the destinations distances from the declared city - 5

or 0.0000189% or 1.89 x10-5
or 1 : 5,278,472

Odds of matching 5 of 6 numbers plus the bonus number in the National Lottery- 1 : 2,330,636

So more than twice the chance of winning the National Lottery with 6 numbers than you have of complaining about Ryanairs route.

Sounds like a great advert to me !
:E

befree
22nd Dec 2004, 18:16
Your statistics are as wrong as ryanairs.
The chance of 5+bonus is 1 in 13,983,816

its 49*48*47*46*45*44/(6*5*4*3*2*1):8 :8

The 5 adverts not just 5 people.
I assume ryanairs 26,392,361 is for one way so most passangers make 2.
they also count people who do not fly, on many of the cheap crack of dawn flights they must get a lot of no shows.

The ASA is just one place ryanair passagers will make a complaint.

There own stats show 0.44 per 1000 passagers so that 11612 a year.

That is still very low.
But you are 6152 times more likely to send a complaint to ryanair than get the 6 balls. And only 1 in X will or can write.

Ryanair do a good job at moving vast numbers of people at low cost. The point is that they are cunning with the use of statistics.

Runway 31
22nd Dec 2004, 18:22
Quote 1. Two members of the public objected that advertisement (a) was misleading, because they believed that Orio al Serio, Girona, Reus, Ciampino, Vasteras and Treviso airports were considerable distances from the cities Ryanair claimed they served.

Two members of the public complained about services to 6 airports. What are the chances that they would be employees of competing airlines.

From what I read on the forum, it seems to me that whether you like Ryanair or not depends on whether you work for a competitor.

batty
22nd Dec 2004, 21:03
Check your odds, these are produced by the National Lottery themselves, remember its not the jackpot as you quote for ...it is 5 and the bonus.....

As for the five complaints , I was using your statistics and just the selective complaints directed towards the route structure...

See how stats can prove anything...;)

You proved my point yourself...statistics can be used to prove anything, even if used with a little misdirection. It doesnt make them incorrect, just selective.

Oh and copied direct from Nat Lottery Site for those interested
Match 6 of 6 main numbers - 1 : 13,983,816

Match 5 of 6 numbers plus the bonus number - 1 : 2,330,636

Match 5 of 6 main numbers - 1 : 55,492

Match 4 of 6 main numbers - 1 : 1,033

Match 3 of 6 main numbers - 1 : 57

Any prize - 1 : 54

Groundloop
23rd Dec 2004, 08:31
"The advertisers said the claims "BARCELONA (Reus)" and "BARCELONA (Girona)" had been published in error "

Yeah, believe that you'll believe anything!

scobie
26th Dec 2004, 01:37
antonovman,

With regards to the '15 minutes early' (or whatever) style of PA when the wheels hit the runway; as an FR CSS who makes these anouncements, I always state we have landed x minutes early (which in my book is true! :)!) Whether it takes another 30 minutes to taxi to the gate is totaly out of FR's control... it's not our fault other a/c get in the way! :)

On that note... a recent flight from LHR - GLA took me 1 hour... almost as much time as it took to to taxi from the gate to the runway in LHR! Oh... that was after I sat from 2pm till 10pm waiting for my delayed flight (take of 11pm), because this airline has a policy of overbooking every flight and of not really helping pax who travel on so called 'e-tickets' (hey, I work for FR... if you beleive what you read it's a miracle I could afford to fly B... oops... almost let it slip out!). Sorry, I'm ranting! The point; My lasting memory of that flight will be the delay! However, the approving nods and glances at watches I see from many passengers when I say 'x minutes early', if that stays their lasting memory, then I'm sure that (as a good thing) would be a memory any airline would like its customers to have as they get off... even if unaware we should have been at the gate 10 minutes ago! Like all things FR; it works! And it's our way of working!

So look guys, will you all please grow up and stop moaning about FR! I (and I'm sure sooooo many others!) get sick to the back teeth of listening to non FR people bitching and moaning about the airline which if they choose can play absolutely NO part in their lives!

This is my first visit to this website and so far all I have seen is FR bashing from people who don't even work for FR! To them I say: Get a life! There are more important things to deal with! Or come work for O'leary!? THEN you will have something to moan about! :)

Anyway, a blasting rant for a first time post!

Happy flying (to those of us with a wing or two!)

S.

Runway 31
26th Dec 2004, 10:55
All I know is that over a couple of dozen flights with RYR I have never arrived later than the scheduled time.

On my last journey with them 4/12 to Hahn we arrived 20 minutes early. Coming back 7/12 we again arrived 20 minutes before schedule at Pik. I got our bags from the belt and was on the way out of the terminal by our scheduled arrival time. Thats good enough for me.

jabird
26th Dec 2004, 13:02
I like the Lottery comparisons, but maybe if I won £1m for complaining about Ryanair, I'd try and do it a little bit more often! Still though, have never flown a sector with them where I'd have reason to complain, whereas I have had several late Easyjet flights.

Companies across the transport industry play timetable fudging, but there is a very important reason why I'm a lot more tolerant of Ryanair doing it than, say, Virgin Trains. If Ryanair add 30 minutes block time, encounter a 15 minute delay, and arrive 15 minutes "early", I am still out of the airport 15 minutes earlier than I expected. However, when Virgin Trains add 15 minutes to get from London to Milton Keynes, that then means a 15 minute wait at Milton Keynes before I can proceed to where I want to go, and quite often another delay further up the line - I remember being held 4 or 5 times once going up to Scotland, and then having some sheep on the line above Carlisle, so we STILL arrived late! Now if Ryanair offered Southwest style "bus" flights, it might be a different ball game...

Scobie, I am still curious as to why Ryanair DON'T overbook, especially when with so many flights being "given" away for £1, they must have a higher portion of no-shows than anyone else?

scobie
28th Dec 2004, 18:56
Jabird,

I have to think back to when I was in DUB many moons ago and each day we would get the pax loads and it was (if the flights were full); 135, 135, 135... and so on for 6 sectors! (Reminisce; ...the good old days on the 737-200 "Rocketship"... oh, point: it only has 130 seats!) Then, for some reason... probrably a marketing thing, it all stoped!

I now fly on the 800 and with the odd exception, have never in two years seen flights over booked! (And this is a promiss... we get the EXACT pax loads from operations each day... the same as the flight deck (weights and balance... must be true!)) Most days we are 189, however many people don't turn up for one reason... the £1.50 / €2.00 ticket was booked on a whim! If you can go for your weekend break... excellent and if not, what's a couple of quid?

Now... here is the moneymaker: Unlike another low cost carrier who do not operate this sytem, FR allow standby pax! I recently forgot to sort out my staff travel and had to shell out €200 for a flight to STN at 5.30am when the check in closed!:sad: :{ So, all the £1.50 / €2.00 pax who don't show, forfeit their seats when check in closes... along come a few mugs like me who 'have to get to xyz now!!!' and pay a hell of a price for it! MOL is laughing all the way to the bank because he has managed to sell maybe 200 tickets for a 189 seat a/c without over booking!

Might not sound like a big money maker... but you only have to see the reactions from some pax in STN who 'missed the train' or got 'stuck in traffic'! Just bing out the Visa/Mastercard and FR will give you a synpathetic replacement ticket... if your credit card can handle that amount! :)

Hope that helps (all be it a loooong winded answer! Sorry! :) )

S.

i_need_cider
10th Jan 2005, 00:21
Noticed something tonight.... the following flights into dub... FR119,FR293,FR509,FR297 were diverted to shannon and the 777 was sent to belfast because of bad weather. Just being curious to know if they were going to be coming back to dub later i checked the ryanair website and all said flights and their outbounds (298,288,778) were all on time!!!!!!!!!!!

jabird
10th Jan 2005, 01:20
Scobie,

Thanks for that - explains why they don't overbook.

Are you saying that if, for arguments sake, you turn up for a flight due out at 12:00, for which the STN check in closes at 11:10, at 11:11, then they say "sorry, we can't let you on with your original booking, but we will re-sell you the same ticket for the same seat you would have occupied for €200? If so, how long is the standby option open until before it closes? Or, is the standby for the next flight?

What if you are in the queue, and flight closing time approaches - do they call people forward? I've had close shaves with check in for other airlines, but have never cut it fine with Ryanair.

On that note, there seems to be quite a lot of conflicting advice about latest check in times. I always thought EZ's was 40 minutes (got to EDI earlier this year 41 minutes before the flight, and the screen said the desk was closed, but they were calling people forward when I reached it). There is a big sign behind their EDI customer services desk saying "check in closes 30 minutes before the flight". Thought FR was 45 mins at GRZ, but sign on check in also said it was 30.

AFAIK, none of the no-frills airlines distinguish between hand baggage only or luggage checked pax when it comes to their minimum check in times - or have I missed anything?

Ziggy
10th Jan 2005, 10:10
Befree

From your second post:

I did not say Ryanair is "CHEATING"

From your first post:

If you look at the average delay and the flying times you see how ryanair CHEAT.

Sconie

In three years I have never actually seen overbooked flights, then again, if the problem arises, I will probably not have known about it anyway because it's solved well before I even get on stand from the previous flight.
I do, on a regular basis, see booked pax figures up to 196 (on an 189 seat plane) so that looks like a bit of overbooking to me.

Jabird

Check www.ryanair.com in the Travel Questions section for check in times. Check-in closes at STD-40 at every Ryanair airport.

Another moneymaker, if I'm not mistaken:

Every passenger pays the fare price and the airport taxes to Ryanair. Ryanair then pays the airport taxes to the airport based on ACTUAL pax figures. For every no show Ryanair puts the taxes into its own pocket.

Z.

jabird
10th Jan 2005, 11:10
Ziggy,

Looks like EZ have reduced check in to 30 mins, but not sure when? They didn't seem to make a big deal of this:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Flying/index.html

"Our check-in desks close exactly 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the flight. "

Can't find any reference to FR 50 mins at STN on site - could any FR / STN employees confirm or deny this?

AFAIK, the no show but we keep the tax & airport charges "scam" applies to all no frills airlines, and is part of the reason why they can offer such low fares.

Runway 31
10th Jan 2005, 13:31
It applies to all airlines not just low cost.

WindSheer
10th Jan 2005, 14:50
Ryanair will never have delays due to their taxi speeds. Bloody hell!!

Just seen one come past my office, looked like he was on his takeoff roll - ON THE TAXIWAY.

Its quite funny to watch though!:ok:

runawayedge
10th Jan 2005, 18:06
ye ye ye ye.....moe ryan bashing and why not! However, I am happy to see an airline putting some padding around their block times. Reality is without it utilisation could be higher, so it does cost them. I do however think they really take punctuality seriously, others should take note. On a different matter it is going to be very interesting to see how MOL is going to interpret the new EU regs on passenger disruption. How long will it be before he's in front of the man with the hammer? Maybe other airlines with poor on time performance have more to worry about.

jabird
10th Jan 2005, 20:12
it is going to be very interesting to see how MOL is going to interpret the new EU regs on passenger disruption

Surely, they'll pass it on to the consumer like everything else as another extra charge on top of the flight. At least they've stayed away from fuel surcharging, which has to be a Ryanair first?