PDA

View Full Version : Gash or by the book?

Bus429
14th Dec 2004, 22:09
Would you rather have a reputation as a gash, "pen-it-off" and ignore the regulations certifier; or could you live with being a (for the most part!) a "by-the-book" certifying aircraft maintenance engineer?

lucky7
15th Dec 2004, 02:18
Depends on the nature of the defect. When faced with a lot transits one can get a little flexible. Experience does come into play here but we are here because we know when to say NO! An analogy I have heard many a times...don't cut into my drinking time...but then these words are spoken by people who are are there for a long time. I would say that I am more of a by the book type. Cheers:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
15th Dec 2004, 06:09
By the book.

If I can't do it by the book, the book needs re-writing.

G

sprocket
15th Dec 2004, 07:06
When you are young and "invincible" it is very easy to feel like you can pen things off (the nature of your company can instill those thoughts in ones brain for comercial reasons).
But dont ever compromise saftey...... How? .... Use 'the book' and throw its contents at those who try to influence you to do otherwise. It sure beats the hell out of 'the book' being thrown at you in a court of law.

By the book for me. You're covered.

Bus429
15th Dec 2004, 07:21
I'm glad there are a few who think like me! In the past, I've been criticised for not being "flexible" enough. However, during spells in QA, I've investigated incidents involving excessive flexibility and realise the effects.

I'm not suggesting one should blindly follow an incorrect procedure; highlight the problem and pass it up the chain of support to get it changed.

Blacksheep
15th Dec 2004, 10:08
In these days of EASA Part 145 organizations there is nearly always a department whose job is to draft an EO, or similar document, to cover deviations from the book. Unfortunately, the pressure that used to be applied to the certifiers is moving to those who draft EOs. For the most part these guys are professional enough to refuse to cooperate in penning-off defects, but one day someone is bound to slip up...

Tempsford
15th Dec 2004, 18:24
Nice to see the responses from Licensed Aircraft Engineers who think and feel the same way as I do. As a manager I have always told staff that if they delay an aircraft because they are not satisfied with its serviceabilty and they can justify their actions I will back them every time. This is not a glib statement, it is a fact.
Once you start down the slippery slope of 'pen it off; or 'it'll do a trip' you have crossed the line and your personal standards drop. I always remember, it is my Licence that I worked damned hard and long to get and it is up to me to safeguard my Licence.
Once you get a reputation as a 'pen off' merchant the name sticks and we should avoid employing such people. There will be precious few Licensed Aircraft Engineers to go around in the future as it is so we had better make sure that those that do exist are up for the job and maintain the required high standards.

Temps the Technician

Bus429
15th Dec 2004, 19:59
Temps,

Unfortunately, some managers prefer pen-off gashos.

Tempsford
15th Dec 2004, 22:56
Bus,
You may well be right, but not this one!
Temps

Genghis the Engineer
16th Dec 2004, 05:42
This one "eases out" such dangerous renegades as fast as possible once it's been established that they won't change.

G

Golden Rivet
16th Dec 2004, 20:30
..........and who's going to come on here and admit to being a gash roller stamp merchant :rolleyes:

Bus429
16th Dec 2004, 21:36
Golden Rivet,

Good point but you might get someone defending excessive flexibility and the use of "experience" to justify a pen-off!;)

DoctorA300
18th Dec 2004, 22:56
So what happens when the book is wrong, and don't tell me they never are I have worked with a few.
Do you 1) Ignore it and do according your own experience 2) Refuse to do the job, due missing/incorrect documentation.
Books are a wonderful tool, in the right hands, in the inexperienced hands they are bloody misleading and dangerous.
Brgds
Doc

Genghis the Engineer
20th Dec 2004, 06:52
You get authorisation to change the book, any organisation worth it's salt should have some mechanism to do this.

After all, "the book" is there to record best practice, and that's not necessarily a fixed quantity.

G

Tempsford
20th Dec 2004, 23:28
Genghis,
I agree with your statement. If the book isn't right, tell the OEM and get it changed. The book is the bench mark. Deviate from written and accepted practices at your peril.

Temps

As I See It
21st Dec 2004, 22:16
By the book for the most part, there were times when a little deviation was tolerated, but not anymore. By the book is our protection, management may ask you to bend the rules, but would stand a long way back when you are being hauled over the coals.
On the subject of changing the book when we know it to be wrong, yes, we have done where I work.

smudgethecat
22nd Dec 2004, 11:37
nice sentiments "temps the technician" im with you 100 per cent, however it must be a good few years since you actually "teched" anything!

Tempsford
22nd Dec 2004, 19:58
Thanks smudge,
Shame you had to spoil the response with a 'dig'. I have already admitted in this thread that I was a manager (which you knew already, but you have the advantage of hiding behind a nickname) and by nature of this fact I don't certify anymore. I was in fact relating to Genghis who signs himself as Genghis the Engineer and in a jocular fashion I signed myself as Tempsford the Technician.

Temps

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Dec 2004, 20:22
I sympathise, I'm largely Genghis the paperpusher at the moment, although I keep trying to rebel.

G

Tempsford
22nd Dec 2004, 20:27
Thanks Genghis
Temps

Peking Peeker
22nd Dec 2004, 22:09
What would you suggest if the whole company culture is one of "pen it off" - there are some around. Go to the QA dept and they back the manager - then what? the good guy who digs his heels in is sacked. Do not get me wrong here, I am not a pen off merchant, but have seen guys who are not turn the corner through fear of losing thier job!!

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Dec 2004, 22:30
If you are in charge, sack the main cuprits and start again.

If you aren't, leave.

G

Golden Rivet
23rd Dec 2004, 07:44
Whilst our masters pay our wages, there will always be an element "commercial awareness" to be considered.

Bus429
23rd Dec 2004, 16:31
Dr A300,

I'm with Genghis and Tempsford - pass the problem on. I've had several people - remote from the problem-say "I'd sign it". All very well, because they know they are not in a position to sign "it".

Managers inclined to encourage pen-off merchants will, most likely, hide behind stipulations in the MOE if the brown stuff hits the fan!