PDA

View Full Version : Squawk Ident?

Nick Mahon
22nd Apr 2001, 05:58
Hi all, I'm doing an English A level project on airspeak and was wondering what 'squawk ident' meant.

Cheers guys NM

2Donkeys
22nd Apr 2001, 10:49
A Squawk is a 4 digit code allocated to an aircraft by an Air Traffic Controller. The number is dialled into a box on the flightdeck called a Transponder. Thereafter, every time the aircraft is hit by a radar interrogation, the transponder responds by broadcasting its 4 digit code back.

In this way, the Air Traffic controller can positively identify any particular aircraft.

For various reasons, at different stages in flight, an Air Traffic Controller may need additional confirmation that the flight he sees on the radar is the same flight he is talking to. To achieve this, the pilot can be instructed to "Squawk Ident". In respose, the pilot pushes a button marked Ident on the transponder. Meanwhile, back at the ATCO's radar screen, a little circle appears round the appropriate blip on the radar for a few seconds.

-2Donkeys

information_alpha
23rd Apr 2001, 01:53
Hi nick, it would be a good idea if you could go and visit a unit in your area and plug in to listen (you could then ask questions as the situations arose) - unfortunately i am in scotland but i am sure if you telephoned any of your local airports they would let you come for a visit

Warped Factor
23rd Apr 2001, 02:05
Glad to see you've been paying attention Mr Donkeys :)

WF.

2Donkeys
23rd Apr 2001, 02:46
Ah... Mr Factor. With both of the Donkeys enjoying a well-earned break down at the Sanctuary, I was able to offer my undivided attention during the briefing. :)

-2Donkeys

Intel
23rd Apr 2001, 19:37
Nick

Give me a ring if you want any information. You can get my number from Jago or Kember

Regards

Rock Ape at 1924

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
24th Apr 2001, 01:26
For what it's worth, the reason behind the term "squawk"is that the original top secret transponder (World War II I think) was code named "Parrot".