View Full Version : Useless messages from Belgrano

englishal
13th Dec 2004, 17:20
So, I sent my Logbook / License to the CAA for a new IMC rating, and I added in my covering letter:

"blah..when the examiner last signed SEP revalidation by experience, he forgot to sign and send the associated form. While you have my logbook and license I would be grateful if you could update your records to refect this valid certificate of experience"

With my license and logbook which I got back today was a compliments slip, which had written on it:

"We don't appear to have received any paperwork from the examiner for your SEP (Land) revalidation. Please remind him to submit it"

surely it'd be easier if they just updated their records to show it was indeed valid, and what date it was done on. It was all in my license anyway.....

rustle
13th Dec 2004, 18:08
Which part of the requirement to send the form in are you struggling with, englishal?

Were it up to me, your failure to follow simple instructions would make it impossible for you to legally fly any aircraft, ever again ;)

PS Merry Christmas :8

englishal
13th Dec 2004, 18:59
Yea but luckily its not up to you ;)

Ok, the form wasn't sent....my fault. But my arguement is that they HAD my license and HAD my logbook and HAD the signed certificate of revalidation, so WHY couldn't they just update their records, without me driving 40 miles, finding the examiner if I can, filling out a form and posting it off....get my point.

Sorry its not quite by the book, and apologies if it offends the guardian of all things JAR-FCL. I know you struggle to apply any sort of lateral thinking in your procedural like world :8

Still, got a "free" IMC rating due to my unholy FAA IR.

Happy Holidays;)

rustle
13th Dec 2004, 19:13
Sorry its not quite by the book, and apologies if it offends the guardian of all things JAR-FCL. I know you struggle to apply any sort of lateral thinking in your procedural like world

Next time you're going Stateside, accidentally "forget" your visa or your passport.

With their renowned lateral thinking they'll be bound to let you in.

They'll probably let you do some further training as well...

Or maybe not :E

PS Happy New Year :}

englishal
13th Dec 2004, 19:26
You should come over sometime Rustle, I'll be there in Feb, and then I can show you how real flying is done ;)

Anyway, I've decided I can't be bothered to track down the examiner and get the form sent off, so I'll risk it. If my blessed license gets lost I can always use my Evil FAA one....:E

ta ta

DFC
13th Dec 2004, 20:11
Englishal,

You have tried to open up a can of worms.

The CAA are being kind to you by ignoring the statement in your letter regarding the failure to complete the requirements for revalidation.

If they were the suspicious types they may ask questions like;

Has this person forged the revalidation?

Has this guy and the examminer revalidated the rating outside the required time period and tried to cover it up by loosing the form?

Why has this guy not had the sense to get the form and include it with this letter?

Who is the examminer and what are we going to do with them?

:E :E :E

Regards,

DFC

dublinpilot
13th Dec 2004, 20:20
EA,

I presume it's incase you have signed your own licence.....but then again, I suspose you could also sign the other form yourself.

I suppose they should really chase the examiner. He's the one with the obligation to send it off, not you. Are you really supposed to follow him to the post box, to make sure he's actually posted it?

dp

BEagle
13th Dec 2004, 20:48
It is the applicant's responsibility to forward the completed form, not the Examiner's!

The signature in your licence on the Ratings - Certificate of Revalidation page is the one which matters - the form sent to the flunkies at the Belgrano is merely for them to keep their records up to date if they can find the time...

But any reputable Examiner should explain to you precisely what's required and what has to be signed etc. Why didn't yours?

englishal
13th Dec 2004, 21:23
The CAA are being kind to you by ignoring the statement in your letter regarding the failure to complete the requirements for revalidation.
I don't think so. I knew I was legal as I had the signature on the CoR page. I admit I was partly to blame, but in the two times I have got my license revalidated by experience, twice it has been messed up. At least the examiner might have mentioned that the form was required, in which case I would have gladly supplied one.

I used an examiner I didn't know, I popped into a well known school on the South coast and asked to speak to one of their examiners and asked him if he could revalidate me. So he checked my logbook, and duly signed. It was only later I realised.

As far as forging goes, the point was that the CAA had my logbook and my license and were perfectly at libity to checkup if they wanted to, which is why I asked them to update their records. Even a brief look at my logged times would have confirmed to them (as it did the examiner) that I had ample time and all the requirements logged in the correct time scale.

I was also legal by virtue of my FAA ratings, so sometimes I wonder why I bother keeping the JAA ticket running......

Cheers;)

dublinpilot
13th Dec 2004, 21:43
It is the applicant's responsibility to forward the completed form, not the Examiner's!

Happy to be corrected. When I got mine revalidated, I asked the examiner for the form to post. (I just wanted to be sure it was sent on time, after reading some stuff here). The examiner told me it was his job to sent that off, and he'd do it that day.

Happy to be corrected though.

Hairyplane
14th Dec 2004, 02:08
I dont know if speak for the majority of subscribers to this forum but it really is boring to read petty whinges about the CAA. They have a job to do, a job that people rarely thank them for. They certainly can't defend themselves on this forum.

Try convincing the Post Office that they should retax your car on the promise that you do have an MOT but left it at home....

Like it or lump it (in your case the latter applies) us fliers are highly regulated and for perfectly good reasons.

In nearly 30 years of flying the CAA have provided an excellent service to me.

So, instead of venting your frustration at having screwed up yourself and vainly expecting a 'never mind, we'll sort it out for you' attitude - get the paperwork right, job done.

Finally, the 'Belgrano' reference is about as funny as 'Campaign Against Aviation', to name but two derisory labels that I have seen applied to the CAA. Ugh!

Happy landings

HP

englishal
14th Dec 2004, 07:51
it really is boring to read petty whinges about the CAA

Don't read it then. You have the option.

So, instead of venting your frustration at having screwed up yourself and vainly expecting a 'never mind, we'll sort it out for you' attitude - get the paperwork right, job done.
Hairy,

I do not dispute that it was my responsibility to send the form it. However, you obviously seem to be missing the point. The point was that they already had my logbook and license and it would have been a fairly straight forward issue to correct the mistakes which had been made (i.e. quick check of logbook - which they were doing anyway, and a photocopy / whatever in the file). I'm sure there is someone within the CAA who has the authority of a FE, in fact anyone in FCL who's job it is to scrutinise logbooks / licenses could have done it.

In general the CAA do generally provide an ok service, though nothing more than I would expect from the fee's they charge. Maybe I was foolish to expect that tiny bit of extra customer service......

Try convincing the Post Office that they should retax your car on the promise that you do have an MOT but left it at home....
Its is absolutely nothing like this.... It'd be like providing the MOT and insurance, but forgetting the form. Most of the time the nice lady behind the PO counter would get a blank form, check your details and fill it out, and issue the tax disc.

Ok so how do I get the job done? If I can't find the examiner again, what do I do, go and find another and ask him to "retrospectively" fill out a form? I'm sure he won't do this, I wouldn't if I were a FE for reasons of forgery someone else pointed out. The only people who can correct this mistake in my view are the CAA, and as they had my paperwork for 10 days they had ample chance to check my details and as long as they were happy with it, could have cleared this whole mistake up with no further ado. Which is why I asked them in my covering letter to update their records.

Sorry that the Belgrano reference offends you, I picked it up from these Forums. Seems there are a lot of over sensitive people reading Pprune these days who don't accept that people are entitled to their own view. I'm sure my posts enrage many people (1 for sure), but thats their problem. I don't let their views enrage me....;)

I'm sure if someone posted a thread on "how to boil and egg" it'd end up 10 pages long, with people slagging each other off by the end of it.

Happy flying
;)

slim_slag
14th Dec 2004, 14:24
Oh rustle, you are such a card, you know I couldn't let that one pass, been annoying me all morning.....

'Fraid US immigration has nothing to do with Airmen Certification, but I would agree with you that the US has gone a bit too far now with it's immigration rules. UK immigration are also quite tough if you don't have the correct papers, contrary to what the Daily Mail would have you believe.

And the FAA are equally anal in their application of their rules and regulations. I had a FAA person the other day refuse point blank to accept a US passport as proof of US citizenship. Nothing would convince her otherwise. It took the head inspector at the FSDO 30 minutes finding the correct TSA piece of paper which said they could accept a US passport as proof of US citizenship until they would process the papers. After that the process was smooth and efficient.

So the FAA pen-pushers are no better; it's just that FAA rules and regs are superior in every way to CAA rules and regs, so it not as much of a problem to FAA regulated pilots ;) :ok:

Happy holidays :cool:

Fuji Abound
14th Dec 2004, 14:36

I dont doubt this is what the regulations say (and I havent checked) - but logically it seems odd.

I cant think of many examinations where the applicant reports to the regulatory body that they have "passed". Of course everyone is honest but if the "examiner" sends the form in there is one less possibility of anyone doing something they shouldnt!

rustle
14th Dec 2004, 15:34
...it's just that FAA rules and regs are superior in every way to CAA rules and regs...

Goodonya, slim. Nothing like a touch of generalisation/exaggeration to steer the thread back on course;)

skydriller
14th Dec 2004, 17:25
Slim Slag,

I had a FAA person the other day refuse point blank to accept a US passport as proof of US citizenship. Nothing would convince her otherwise.

So pray do tell what she would accept as proof of US citizenship??:hmm:

I mean what the hell else is supposed to prove citizenship apart from your passport.....Thats what the bl@**y thing is for, right???!!!:mad: :mad:

Sorry, but that just takes the biscuit!!!

Regards, SD..

S-Works
14th Dec 2004, 17:27
I have always wondered why the CAA is often referred to as the Belgrano, anyone care to shed some light?

rustle
14th Dec 2004, 18:33
Careful, bose-x... Prepare for a barrage of witty riposte about why the CAA building at Gatwick is called that.

You may split your sides laughing,
or,
you might think what a sad bunch of wazzocks people who call it that really are.

Your call ;)

slim_slag
14th Dec 2004, 20:07
Well rustle, perhaps it's an anagram. First word 'LARGE'? Or would that be applicable to the folk who blindly defend it? ;)

rustle
14th Dec 2004, 20:32
:confused: :eek: :D :O :rolleyes: