View Full Version : super decathlons

checkpointcharlie
12th Dec 2004, 18:07
I want to do a tailwheel checkout & some aeros. Heard the Super Decathlons a good aeroplane ! Any comments and any ideas where I can rent one in the south of the UK ?

Pitts2112
12th Dec 2004, 20:38
Can't help you on the location issue but I can vouch that the Super D is a great airplane to get your tailwheel conversion on. It's what I got mine on when Sherwood Flying Club had one up at Tollerton/Nottingham. It was a nice gentle airplane, has a wobbly prop so that was a new thing for me, and flew at airspeeds I could cope with. I really enjoyed my time in that airplane. My only prior flying was my PPL in 152s.

Good luck, anyway!
Pitts2112

max roll rate
12th Dec 2004, 21:35
Try Goodwood , a good friend of mine lets the club there use his new one , i used to fly his citabria before and loved that so i would think the Super Decathlon would be even more fun .
regards max

Miserlou
12th Dec 2004, 22:36
It's a bit of a dog if it doesn't have spades on the ailerons but OK otherwise.

I believe there is one available at Shoreham.

Jucky
13th Dec 2004, 22:47
Tatenhill have a 150 HP Decathlon CS.

spitfire
13th Dec 2004, 23:19
Stick with the Super Decathlon and avoid the 150hp CS Decathlon - you'd be better off with a 150hp fixed pitch Citabria.

Scion
14th Dec 2004, 08:19
I did a c/speed and tailwheel in a decathalon and would not advise you to do both together. There is just too much going on for a simple mind such as my own. Remember the Kiss principle!

From that time I have really enjoyed tailwheel aeroplanes and would encourage you to get that endorsement.

Gulf Julliet Papa
14th Dec 2004, 12:27
Southern Flight Centre at Shoreham have G-ZZAP a super decathlon

Flik Roll
14th Dec 2004, 12:42
Couple of the Goodwood instructors are checked out on the Super Decathlon now as well

shortstripper
14th Dec 2004, 20:18
I'd recommend Ian at Southern flight centre if you want to learn about strip flying as well as a tailwheel checkout.

SS

DB6
14th Dec 2004, 21:22
Jucky, I thought G-BTXX was a 180 hp Super Decathlon with full inverted fuel and oil systems (I used to fly it but it was a while ago and I could be wrong) but at less than 100 quid per hour solo it is a very good deal anyway. Website here (http://www.tatenhill-aviation.co.uk) :ok: .

squawking 7700
15th Dec 2004, 21:07
The Decathlon at Sherwood was G-BTXX, it's now at Tatenhill
and it's a Decathlon CS (150HP CS prop, inverted fuel/oil with
spades on the ailerons).
What's so bad about the CS version? seems OK to me and yes it's
less than a 100 quid an hour solo, bargain.

If you can spare the time, it'd be worth a weekend at Tatenhill
(did my tailwheel conversion there in less than 4 hours).

BlueRobin
16th Dec 2004, 13:36
Try Denham.

If type is less restrictive, Old Sarum, Comton Abbas or Tiger Club@Headcorn for S/SE. If by "south" you are nearer to Midlands, I know a man at Sywell.