View Full Version : HUMBERSIDE

Pages : 1 [2] 3

MrDearne
9th Jun 2005, 20:45
I don't think Thompson had any intent on pulling out of HUY.
I feel Thompson are maybe playing the 'foothold' self-preservation game at HUY. If a low cost showed an interest in HUY, then I think you might see Thompson or a Thompson subsidiary increase the activity there.
As it stands now I think you'll find Thompson are playing the waiting game at HUY. If it doesn't feel threatened then it has no need to increase destinations, particularly as DSA is seemingly their pet project and most new routes are going from there. Which works well for me since I am a DSA supporter.

At the moment Thompson is a bit like Scunthorpe........both sitting very pretty, and in a win win situation.
However, one thing I have learnt since taking an interest in this kind of subject, is that it's certainly a 'cut-throat' and 'dog-eat-dog' business.
When (I think it's only a matter of time until it does) a second lo co operates from DSA, it might just might have a positive knock on affect at HUY.

AndyHUY
10th Jun 2005, 09:02
Do you mean that all the work DSA is doing to grow the market could also make room for HUY to expand? Thompsons have got pretty much a monopoly over that airport at the moment and i believe that if another lo-co does go in then Thompsons will probably begin more expansion at HUY so not to 'put all its eggs in one (DSA) basket'

I do think though that DSA has had all the hype and i dont believe that it will live up to all of its expectations, i had people asking me when the A380s would be operating from there because it was apparently on the news! I just cant see it, maybe a few scheduled long haul routes as Peel seem to be able to 'sell ice to an eskimo' so if anyone is going to convince the likes of Continental and Emarites that the region is viable for long-haul then DSA is the one to do it!

By the way circseam i am 25 years old, sorry i dont know how to send a private message on the AirHumberside website but i do agree with you. I dont take offence to your comments but i got the impression you were one of those die hard DSA fans that have become very ignorant of the needs of our region now that theyve got what they wanted (And thats only a very small number of DSA supporters may i add)

gary4444
10th Jun 2005, 10:12
I heard that Thompson were pulling loads from HUY but the HUY pax were not to be bullied to the pax.

7006 Fan, I can't believe some of the drivel you come out with on this forum :ugh:

LBA
10th Jun 2005, 10:23
I hate to sound really picky, but its 'Thomson' not 'Thompson'.

That really annoys me for some reason, dont know where people get the P from!

isa kite
10th Jun 2005, 11:01
I guess it shows some people can take the "p" and some can't :O

MrDearne
10th Jun 2005, 13:20
'That really annoys me for some reason, dont know where people get the P from'

I think it's because used in the surname it's usually spelt with a 'p'...but point taken.

AndyHUY

A couple of points.
Firstly going back, the reason I questioned the 1% South Yorks pax, was because South Yorks (most certainly the Doncaster Area) were included in what was called the 'primary target catchment grid'. The area in and around the airport was to be a hot bed for internal and external investment. The project was on-going when I left and I basically lost interest.
I was privy, however, to plans that foresaw the airport operating on a much higher level than it is now, and if these plans came to fruition DSA would not have been considered.

I think if Thomson's are challenged head to head on routes at DSA by other lo-cos, rather than lose out completely they would sooner offer the same destinations from HUY.

I am no aviation expert, infact I wouldn't know a jumbo jet from an airbus (for all I know they could be one and the same), but I do take a keen interest in major developments in the South Yorks area, and DSA seems to be the focal point of upper-epsilon conversation. I don't think the 'hype' as you put it is without foundation. From various feedback I have been getting, I personally think it will well exceed all expectation and beyond. I believe also that if HUY can hold out for a couple of years, it too will begin to expand, but the interim period I believe is going to be a major telling factor for the airport.

airhumberside
10th Jun 2005, 17:54
I don't think Thompson had any intent on pulling out of HUY.
I feel Thompson are maybe playing the 'foothold' self-preservation game at HUY. If a low cost showed an interest in HUY, then I think you might see Thompson or a Thompson subsidiary increase the activity there.
As it stands now I think you'll find Thompson are playing the waiting game at HUY. If it doesn't feel threatened then it has no need to increase destinations, particularly as DSA is seemingly their pet project and most new routes are going from there.
I have to agree with you. No doubt if a low cost airline came to HUY or one of the other big tour operators expanded at HUY they would increase services.

Thomson will want to keep a large presence in the area. If there was expansion out of HUY by airlines/tour operators to destinations they serve from DSA and they did not have HUY operations anymore they couldnt compete as well out of DSA than they could if they still had a HUY operation. It makes sense for them to keep operations out of HUY

In my opinion HUY would never see Thomson Fly in its scheduled form.

1DC
10th Jun 2005, 19:32
Well I have just spent the last hour reading this thread from start to finish, and found it very interesting. HUY is my local airport and when I use it i like it, but, as I pay for all my own travel now in general it is an expensive place to fly from. I used the Air UK flight to LHR on a regular basis and it had good load factors with most passengers travelling onwards, naturally when KLM bought Air UK they didn't want to support LHR. I wrote to BMI and suggested they extend either the LHR/LBA or LHR/EMA flight on to HUY twice a day, they had the decency to write back and whilst they thought their was some merit in my suggestion because of the extended time the aircraft would need to come to HUY by the time it got back to LHR it would have lost it's time slot. I still believe the business community would love to have a London connection, probably LGW rather LHR.
Getting back to cost, apart from good deals into Europe with KLM in the summer other destinations are usually more expensive. Long haul through Schipol is generally more expensive than LON or MAN, charter to Spain is almost always cheaper from LBA,MAN, Stansted etc. This includes taking car hire to the distant airports into account. So far Donny hasn't been cheaper than HUY on common destinations, so I ain't going there..
Surprised about the one percent usage by South Yorkshire, on the odd occasion I have used HUY to Spain I seem to have been surrounded by Barnsley lads on every flight...
My gut feeling is that HUY will continue in it's niche with slow expansion, but, you know the old saying... When change is made it will usually be a surprise and little to do with what the pundits are suggesting!!!!!
So much for my two penneth.....

7006 fan
10th Jun 2005, 20:46
What do we reckon to these:
1/ HUY-SOU-HUY
2/ HUY-Marsaillies-HUY (sorry at home and don't know the code!)
3/ HUY-CDG-HUY
4/ HUY-BFS-HUY
5/ HUY-DUS-HUY

marks out of 10?

airhumberside
10th Jun 2005, 21:39
I still believe the business community would love to have a London connection, probably LGW rather LHR.
Or LCY for London itself maybe?

1/ HUY-SOU-HUY
7/10 - some potential

2/ HUY-Marsaillies-HUY (sorry at home and don't know the code!)
Code is MRS. 1/10. Only served from London, no business links so no chance from HUY

3/ HUY-CDG-HUY
10/10 The market is there. Someone needs to come and get it

4/ HUY-BFS-HUY
8/10. BHD would be better

5/ HUY-DUS-HUY
6/10. Not sure on this one

AndyHUY
10th Jun 2005, 23:22
I think CDG would definately work! A london airport would but it depends, you could say LCY but would the trains compete too much with that? LHR is unlikely now due to a lack of slots:( LGW is possible so i would say a toss up between LGW and LCY!

I couldnt see Thomsonfly in its low cost form at HUY i think that it will stitch up DSA and dont know if any other lo-co will go to DSA apart from Ryanair possibly basing a few aircraft there!

SOU would work with Eastern or FLYBe because of the connection of both areas due to the shipping industry. Remember both of these airlines have low operating costs so they can fly the routes without having huge loads!

Copenhagen, in my opinion, would work as every time i go from HUY via AMS there are always a number of people ending up in Copenhagen that origionated from HUY!

MRS i think is a none starter for the reasons AirHumberside stated.

Would BFS or BHD realy work? Ive never realy thaught about that. Would DUB not be better? Maybe Eastern or FLYbe would be suited to this route.

I understand DUS was, at one point, operated from HUY but i dont know how well it did, or how long it lasted. Wouldnt any german destination be better served from DSA? Something like HLX to Cologne?

At the end of the day, the region as a whole has never had more choice and i hope the emergance of DSA will only bring good things for all concerned and that both HUY and DSA grow to be succesful, first class regional airports!!!!

P.s. sorry about the 'P' in Thomson, i was thinking of the surname Thompson!

1DC
11th Jun 2005, 10:27
When I was a business flyer to LHR and LGW (change at Norwich) the loads were always high with a large majority going longhaul.
I think LGW is set up better to serve the local business community, i.e. oil, petro chemical, good european and shipping destinations etc. An easier transit airport than LHR.
LCY would fail in my opinion because of no advantage in connections and the fact that a visitor to London can drive to Doncaster or Newark and catch a train every 30 minutes or so to London and return by turning up at the station and catching the next train within 30 minutes. A big plus if your meeting finishes early, say 1400 and not 1700. the train is available but you would still be on the evening flight home, if you had flown down on a day return..

AndyHUY
11th Jun 2005, 11:05
Hi 1DC

I believe the LHR service was abandoned because of increasingly high landing fees at the airport (LHR) Although loads were excellent it cost way too much to operate the SD330/360 on the route and the authorities priced all users of small aircraft out of LHR.

Do BD do a LHR to Copenhagen? Could maybe do a stop on that! What type of airline would you like to see operating to LGW? Low cost would be good but wouldnt offer connections, although i suppose everything is close together there so connecting to any flight would be simple!

I think the flight only deals from HUY should be advertised more, more and more people are going on villa holidays now so that could increase the number of flights we have every week!

circseam
11th Jun 2005, 12:31
Again all these people quoting their route wish lists, these lists of desirable places cant happen without an operator, how would you attract the operator and how could you ensure that the a/c will have anough bums on seats.

We can allmake a list of routes but lets stick to the here and now, we have two operators, operating from HUY, are Eastern going to suddenly start flying these "wish" routes or is KLM going to start to fly point to point routes rather than a taxi service to its hub at AMS.......the answer is NO!

So, back in the real world before these routes become anything more than a figment of peoples imagination, just how does the airport owners attract an operator......

1DC
11th Jun 2005, 13:02
Ah!, what would life be without dreams....

AndyHUY.. You are correct the main reason for the end of the LHR flights was landing cost, but it did coincide with KLM taking over Air UK.

I believe a service to LGW would get more support than CDG, on the few occasions I used the old service to CDG it was less than half full. The French owned oil refinery at Immingham lobbied for the service to Paris but by itself wasn't able to provide enough custom.
LGW could probably support a small RJ or turboprop, I doubt if a low cost operator would be interested. BA have a frequent service from ABZ to LGW, I have wondered if a stop at HUY twice a day would have support. As long as their wasn't any competition on direct flights from ABZ to LGW, it may be feasible. I doubt if they would charge as much as Eastern so should get all of the business..
Flight only deals from HUY, at present, are almost always too high to challenge fares from LBA or MAN. I have even driven to LGW to take the BA flight to Alicante and saved £100 on 2 return tickets, plus car hire and petrol.. My last flight from MAN to ALC, a month ago, was £48.50 return inclusive of taxes. I admit it was one of the best deals I have had but without a low cost operator HUY will never compete with that..

7006 fan
11th Jun 2005, 17:04
Cirseam,
It can also be called market research, especially with people in the know here on this site, or it can be called putting the ghost to rest -if there is a big NO out there for some routes I can stop hoping, but from the responses from people it seems there is some hope.
Who knows who is scanning these pages looking for ideas and potential, someone wanting to 'take a punt'. Maybe HUY management read these pages, might give them a thought or two. Now Humberside has its' own travel agency, they might even start broking flights on a trial basis to use as ammo in any discussions, who knows.
The market does not come to you, you must go to the market!

airhumberside
11th Jun 2005, 17:28
Do BD do a LHR to Copenhagen?
No. They codeshare on SAS LHR/MAN/BHX-CPH and fly themselves GLA and EDI to CPH with SAS codesharing on those routes

circseam
12th Jun 2005, 00:18
7006 Fan - Thanks for the kind lessons in market research (removes tongue from cheek).

So, airlines now read the pages of Pprune for prospective routes because "with people in the know here on this site" represent the entire market for prospective route, I dont think so Fan.

The problem that know one has yet seem to answer, all this "market research", all these routes supposedly the market needs and wants and yet no operator, otherthan the two incumbent users of HUY, if there was money to be made, a market with the pot of gold, I'm quite sure that by now an operator would be operating that route.

The economics of regional routes from HUY just dont seem right to me, either you have to have a mass market to fill 100+ seater a/c to make a decent return or operate a commuter a/c and charge the earth to make a return, as I've stated before, I cant see a market for low cost at HUY (DSA being so close, the actual market HUY serves now and an operator whom would take such a gamble).

7006 fan
12th Jun 2005, 08:37
Circseam,
If HUY listened to you, they would all pack up and go home. which they won't as they are up for it. (real Dunkirk spirit, and we all know what happened after that!)
The forum gives a place for people to make comments, pass ideas and so forth.
Remember the guy who invented non-stick glue? (got laughed out of the house) Made millions selling post-it notes!
we Brits have a marvellous habit of putting each-other down, and 'big is best', we will see!
Going off at a tangent for a second. The official Robin Hood site states, in the employment section
paraphrasing:
"...we will create 2350 jobs, directly and indirectly, by year 15 of operation...by year 5, 880..." What ever happened to the promise of 7,000 direct and indirect? This fact has been kept very quiet. At least HUY does not make rash statements to build up hope.

MrDearne
12th Jun 2005, 10:29
Us Brits are also nurtured on movies with happy endings, which we all know do not reflect real life.
I don't think anyone wants to see people lose their jobs. HUY though needs to make the right noises and pretty soon at that. I am marked about what 'could have been' at HUY. In 1997 plans were afoot to see extensive expansion and marketing, not just the airport but the immediate and Humber area. The airport had already seen redevelopments (in about 1995 or 96?), so it shows how high optimism was at the time. Hull seems to have lived up to the blueprint, the airport apparently not. I can only assume the airport having Manchester Airport Group as its major shareholder, curtailed the plans.
Manchester International Airport has seen substantial investment running into the £100s of millions since 1999 when they took control of HUY. From what I have seen there is little change at HUY since 1997, certainly no expansion, so clearly HUY are not being spoilt by the MAG’s millions. If the present day powers foresaw any potential at HUY, then surely it would have happened before now. For three years duration, during the declaration of DSA and the announcement of airlines at DSA, did HUY and the Manchester Airport Group have the opportunity to court low-cost and other airlines through incentives, but nothing much materialised. Why all of a sudden are Airlines going to see HUY as an attractive proposition?
The world seems to be passing HUY by whilst other similar sized airports with similar sized catchments areas are attracting both lo-co and other airlines. I admire your passion for HUY, but serious questions have to be asked. I can get to HUY in about 35 minutes of uncongested road and I would love to see someone like Flybe, BMIbaby, or Easyjet open at HUY, but I really can’t see it. DSA is my first choice, and I tend to disagree with AndyHUY who suggests Thomson’s have pretty much stitched up DSA, but then we are all entitled to our opinion, only some lead to circular arguments like the future of HUY.
In a nutshell, from a person who held high expectation for HUY in the late 1990’s, when competition was not as fierce and great plans were afoot, I fear by the lack of progress made since clearly demonstrates that HUY is not at the forefront of plans by its owners for any kind of expansion or marketing strategy, and they are content on running the airport as it is now.

DC10FAN
12th Jun 2005, 11:15
I agree with the last post; I also live @35mins drive from HUY(was there yesterday infact) and have always hoped that a loco would start services from there. Unfortunately with DSA diluting the catchment area, I can't see it happening now. IMO the only possible contender would be Flybe as all the others have the wrong size of a/c for most routes. I had seen posts about Jet2 coming to HUY and even thought they could operate services to PMI/ALC/BCN on w-rotations from LBA but then surely this would reduce demand for the established routes from LBA. The IT flights seem to do well and the AMS service is getting more capacity again from October; F100s replacing F70s on 2 of the daily flights (which will be more than from MME). There is clearly a market that isn't being tapped into; those travellers that want only flights (no accomodation). Flight only prices have always been high on IT services; I suspect the reason why Jet2 can fill 3 flights a day to AGP.

AndyHUY
12th Jun 2005, 12:57
I am still hoping FLYBe do come to HUY, i think if they dont then there is hardly any chance another lo-co would do but you never know.

The argument 'if there was such a demand someone would have offered these routes by now' is IMO false. Regional airports like HUY dont usualy fit into most of the major airlines operations as they like to stay around the big hubs such as MAN and the London airports. KLM have done an excellent job with the feeder services from the regions and i find it strange that BA have not offered these feeders from the regions to LGW, to try to claw back some business!

10 years ago would you have honestly predicted how much the demnd for air travel has grown? LPL was never seen as a success, with three scheduled destinations and a few charters! EXT, BOH and NWI where never as busy as HUY! LBA was not handling many more PAX than HUY is now, maybe 700,000-800,000. These places are still growing and with FLYBe looking at further expansion on the East Coast (HUY, NWI and MME) it is believed that these airports will be following in the foot steps of the South Coast success stories such as SOU BOH and EXT!

Until someone officialy announces that HUY will never expand i will still remain optimistic for the future!

airhumberside
12th Jun 2005, 13:01
lead to circular arguments like the future of HUY
This is just whats going on in this thread. We are going on and on about what demand there is at HUY and the future of HUY but where is it getting us? This whole debate is just getting boring and going over old ground. Perhaps we should just focus on actual rumours and news

Talking of which

Is the First Choice FUE flight going ahead next year?
I take it AEU arent going to do Greece flights for Thomas Cook next year now?

Any other charter news/rumours?

AndyHUY
12th Jun 2005, 13:48
Is the AGP to be continued in summer 06?

Visited HUY yesterday, would be great to see it that busy everyday!

7006 fan
12th Jun 2005, 14:44
I see eastern are now dropping in to MME on the Sunday evening ABZ. I have heard talk of Croatia for 06, but that could be all it is, hope not.

airhumberside
12th Jun 2005, 14:48
Is the AGP to be continued in summer 06?
Apparently not although TOM/BY will have flights in Spring from February to April

I see eastern are now dropping in to MME on the Sunday evening ABZ
Theyve been doing that for a while though you cant fly HUY-MME

I have heard talk of Croatia for 06, but that could be all it is, hope not.
Would be great if true. Eastern Europe and Africa will become the new Spain for charters in the next few years

Andy_S
12th Jun 2005, 16:23
F100s replacing F70s on 2 of the daily flights (which will be more than from MME)

Several years ago, I asked someone from KLMuk why they had 6 (or was it five) daily F50 rotations from HUY, whereas MME only had 3; the simple answer was that unlike HUY, MME had an additional long haul transfer route via LHR. I think that explains the greater capacity on the HUY - AMS route.

In actual fact, considering KLM now use larger aircraft at Teesside, and the number of rotations at Humberside has been reduced, MME has virtualy caught up with HUY.

MrDearne
12th Jun 2005, 17:10
7006 fan

I think I can explain the discrepancies in potential employment figures. The initial 7000 were suggested by pathway and employment agencies in Doncaster. DSA/Peel suggest the 2350 figure. Where these differ, in terms of job creation is that the DSA figure is determined by what sustainable jobs (permanent, full/part time) will be created directly or indirectly by the airport and at the airport. The accumulative posts needed to fulfil the blueprint of anticipated investment and companies’ locating/relocating to the area derive the 7000 figure. For instance, the 7000 jobs embody; respected companies staff intake, and manpower needed to construct the buildings, (construction workers, labourers, security guards, painter/decorators etc), many of these will be contracted for an ‘x’ period of time.
However, because of the initial success of the airport the goal posts have moved, and I think you will see in due course the 7000 as being a conservative estimate.
I think even Peel have underestimated the ‘pull’ of the airport.

7006 fan
12th Jun 2005, 17:42
Except Peel used the figure when they were bidding for the Airport/Euro-millions. The industry thought it risable as the math is 1 per 1000 pax, hence HUY employ c. 500/600 reflecting their pax, LGW employ between 25&30 thou depending upon season. As 7,000 equate to 7,000,000 pax, I somehow doubt it. Even EMA ain't there yet, and that is half of MAN's pax numbers.
Pass the reality syringe!
:hmm:

circseam
12th Jun 2005, 20:57
7006 Fan - Circseam,
"If HUY listened to you, they would all pack up and go home. which they won't as they are up for it. (real Dunkirk spirit, and we all know what happened after that!)"

Up for it? Up for what exactly, HUY is going no where real fast, its reliant on charters and a couple of cheduled routes, take a look at the past 7006 Fan, its an airport that has been subsided by the people of Ex-Humberside region and look what it has achieved in all those years.

As Ive said previously Im not against HUY, far from it, I had the outlook like some you guys on here but after reading some posts on here and looking back over the airports history I have come to the conclusion that I'm am just a realist that believes the arrival of DSA will prevent HUY from becomming anything more than it already is, a regional airport with little (in regard to what other airports offer) to offer locals, such as myself.

I've read the posts of some whom I believe just dont see the bigger picture, the route wish lists of peole who seem not see that the economics of operating from HUY just are not there, the continual going around in circles as to who, what and when was to blame.

Dunkirk was an evacuation of men in distress, the resolve of those men is an example to others but to quote such spirit and a time in history in conjunction with HUY doesnt quite sit right with me......

Ands as for the continual sniping of DSA, its getting awfully boring especially when HUY in seemingly in such a state, Id thought all your efforts would be better sorting out HUY's management.

Circseam

MrDearne
12th Jun 2005, 21:33
7006 fan

Have to say I am intrigued by this 1:1000 ratio.

I don’t think I actually said that 7000 would be employed at the airport. As far as I am aware neither did Peel. As mentioned in my previous post the 7000 was the figure banded about, initially by employment agencies in Doncaster, as the number of potential jobs that could be generated in the area, as a direct/indirect result of the airport.
‘The industry thought it risable as the math is 1 per 1000 pax’
I assume from this you are in the industry or a related industry? If so your credentials to the matter greatly surpass mine, so who am I to argue. However, what I see here in South Yorks, particular the Doncaster area, are employment agencies recruiting en masse for projects in and around the airport. It’s hard evidence for all to see.

As for the reality syringe…………it’s nice to know you’ve got one on hand. They say the lower the reality, the higher the fantasy, and you being a HUY supporter, just might need it.

symphonyangel
12th Jun 2005, 21:39
7006 - 'The industry thought it riseable', ? - i hardly think so! Peel won that point pretty convincingly at the public inquiry against the MAN Airport Group, owners of HUY. The 7000 figure included all the non-aviation jobs so you are not comparing like with like when you look at the 1 per 1000 jobs comparison which is the aviation related only part.

terrywilcox
13th Jun 2005, 00:43
7006fan can't seem to rest without his constant sniping. He obviously does not listen to contrary arguments (there are none so deaf as those who do not want to hear). Did he attend the 7 month public inquiry,as I did,practically every day,and had the opportunity of cross examining witnesses. Did he get all his dubious information from local press. Story about the euro millions is definitely untrue. If he really wants to read the EVIDENCE , it is all on line and he can cherry pick if he wants. Anyway,I've stupidly done it again,rising to the bait,when I believe everyone on the thread and elswhere,knows he is talking "bunkum". See how polite I can be.

7006 fan
13th Jun 2005, 18:57
Lifted the following from the Yorkshire Forward web-site

"The responses confirmed the strong differences of opinion within the region about this issue. However Yorkshire Forward is backing the proposal because of:

· the strategic fit with the Regional Economic Strategy (RES) and regional and local planning guidance, particularly in terms of Yorkshire Forward and other partners arguing strongly for a future sustainable package of air service provision befitting a world class region;
· the economic advantages of creating up to 7,000 jobs in South Yorkshire through the injection of £30 million of private funds into a deprived area;"

so where has the other £50m come from and why did Peel not correct the 7.000 statement when this was issued in September 2000!!!!!

Just facts that's all

As I have said many times before I wish DSA every success, but when statements are made that are clearly bending the truth then there should be a shout of foul!

Terry,
If the euro-millions is untrue, why has the Airport got Objective 1 finance! This is a euro pot.

can't find the employment chart on the web-site anymore either!

MrDearne
13th Jun 2005, 22:05

I'm really not sure if you are trying to wind the DSA contingent up or you are actually having difficulty in grasping the rudimentary concept here.

Peel solely financed the airport. Objective One funding is being used to help redevelop the Finningley area and infrastructure around the airport. These are 2 separate entities. The benefit of having an international airport, literally on the doorstep, is encouraging businesses to move to the area. This is where we will see most of the 7000 jobs being created.
On hindsight I think Peel showed great vision to suggest five years ago, that 7000 jobs would be created, there is certainly no reason for them to retract this figure now.

There are no longer ‘strong differences of opinion’. The airport is set to be a resounding success. The only person who seemingly can’t grasp this fact is you. You can search until your heart is content to find discrepancies.
I think my best advice for you 7006, is to wait for a couple of years, and then if DSA begins to stagnate, much the way HUY is doing at the moment………..then armed with all your hard empirical evidence you can ram it down our throats. Until then, attempting to discredit DSA whilst it’s riding on a crest of wave is futile. You’re on a hiding to nothing.

Quote from official site:

Robin Hood Airport is already a thriving business community with over 100 businesses occupying in excess of half a million sq ft of existing space.

Over 2000 jobs created thus far!

AndyHUY
13th Jun 2005, 23:45
Think its time to put the handbags down, as people have said, we are going round in circles.

Anyone heard anything about these six new routes to be announced for summer 06? The airport havent made a statement for a while i hope to hear something soon!

If only every day was as busy as it is on a Saturday!

7006 fan
14th Jun 2005, 06:25
Andy,

Watch, wait and listen. I gather a few surprises are in the air!!! (pun intended!!)
:ok:

circseam
14th Jun 2005, 08:10
"Think its time to put the handbags down, as people have said, we are going round in circles. " - AndyHUY

You have to be joking, a debate on the role of HUY beats reading route wish lists and news of the odd new charter route.

"Watch, wait and listen. I gather a few surprises are in the air!!! (pun intended!!) " - 7006 Fan

Oh for heavens sake, if you have something to tell please do so rather than the cheap puns and post that tells nothing and suggests alot, so come on 7006 Fan lets hear your "Rumour" and put us all out of our misery

terrywilcox
14th Jun 2005, 08:22
7006fan. No one suggested that there were no euro funds,just that it better for all that the facts are not twisted.

airhumberside
14th Jun 2005, 17:25
Anyone heard anything about these six new routes to be announced for summer 06? The airport havent made a statement for a while i hope to hear something soon!
One new route will be Tunisia. After that I dont know. Maybe the new AEU flights to Corfu/Zante that probably wont happen now are included in that figure. Maybe the potential FUE flight is also included? But doesnt account for all 6 flights ...

AndyHUY
14th Jun 2005, 19:18
Will just have to wait and see! Yes obviously Tunisia is one i forgot about that!

Did auleud (Sorry if spelt wrong) say that it could have been a printing error and therefore HUY would not have known about that!

7006 fan
14th Jun 2005, 20:25
Circseam,

Why spoil the Airport's fun!!? by telling a no-ent like you

airhumberside
14th Jun 2005, 20:30
I just hope these surprises are good surprises

circseam
15th Jun 2005, 08:51
7006 Fan - Thank you for the kind words, I have some for you too but wouldnt stoop to your level and wouldnt give you the satisfaction of replying to your bait.

I'm not that bothered about your alledged rumours, it seems your rumours are no more than illusions of grandure and after reading your posts on the subject of HUY I think you have very little avaiation knowlege, is unable to discuss issues in a civil and constructive manner and really are such an ambassador for HUY, not!

Please dont bother to reply sunshine, your words are getting irritable and repititive, obviously Sir John Nelthorpe just wasnt the school that it was.

<Not checked for spelling, let 7006 Fan do that>

terrywilcox
15th Jun 2005, 09:38
Just thought I would mention this to all on here. Strangely perhaps,I know of no aimosaity from DSA towards HUY. Just one exception was yesterday,whilst talking to a friend on the net,who visits pprune. He asked me why there was such aimosity from HUY towards DSA.. I was able to tell him there was,basically,none,but it seems a lot of spite etc,because one person was particularly busy. We discussed it further,and he could think of no other person from HUY,who put out vitriol. We are talking of course of 7006fan. Ambassador for HUY,never in this world. He can only do harm to the cause of HUY .

Think my keyboard spelled animosity wrong,twice even lol

a bristolian
16th Jun 2005, 12:27
For all HUY guys visit www.xl.com , check out timetable for Summer 2006.

Your Christmas has just come early!!

I am very happy for you after the torrid time you have had lately.

airhumberside
16th Jun 2005, 18:00
Thanks a bristolian. This is fantastic news

Alicante - Tuesdat
Lanzarote - Thursday
Dalaman - Saturday
Malaga - Thursday
Paphos - Wednesday
Rhodes - Thursday
Tenerife South - Friday

Flights appear the be operated by aircraft on a W rotation

What tour operators will be involved? Should develop the seat only market

terrywilcox
16th Jun 2005, 18:01
bristolian,can't find any info on HUY on Excel site. Please say where to check.

Buster the Bear
16th Jun 2005, 18:09
Humberside

Departure Arrival From Date To Date Day UK Dep Time UK Arr Time
Alicante (ALC) Humberside (HUY) 26/07/2006 27/09/2006 Wed 0030 2330

Alicante (ALC) Humberside (HUY) 04/10/2006 04/10/2006 Wed 0030

Arrecife (ACE) Humberside (HUY) 18/05/2006 26/10/2006 Thu 1220 1120

Dalaman (DLM) Humberside (HUY) 20/05/2006 21/10/2006 Sat 0140 0040

Dalaman (DLM) Humberside (HUY) 28/10/2006 28/10/2006 Sat 0140

Malaga (AGP) Humberside (HUY) 18/05/2006 26/10/2006 Thu 2300 2200

Paphos (PFO) Humberside (HUY) 17/05/2006 25/10/2006 Wed 1435 1335

Rhodes (RHO) Humberside (HUY) 18/05/2006 19/10/2006 Thu 0205 0105

Rhodes (RHO) Humberside (HUY) 26/10/2006 26/10/2006 Thu 0205

Tenerife South (TFS) Humberside (HUY) 19/05/2006 27/10/2006 Fri 1240 1140

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

airhumberside
16th Jun 2005, 18:09
Terry - there is a link that says flight timetable on the home page below the booking form. Click on it. Chose brochure Summer 2006 and destination Humberside. It took me a while to find it

7006 fan
16th Jun 2005, 18:15
Well I will be jiggered. Thank you Bristolian, that is a great link. Phew, began to doubt my sanity recently!

Yeah not the easiest web site, but once mastered never forgotten. Yahoo for HUY. Just a matter of time that was all. Thanks for the link Bristolian, may the Severn continue to flow in its\' gentle manner through your wonderful city.

Elation is not the word. Currently dancing on the ceiling with a bottle of bubbly.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

a bristolian
16th Jun 2005, 18:28
Well done it must be you 1st based unit - look after it and do everything you can to support it - it could be the platform to even bigger and beeter things.

Enjoy!

7006 fan
16th Jun 2005, 18:30
OK, so I lied, that makes 7 new routes for Summer 06 (full season as well). bit more than the 'odd charter' I think.

:cool:

Bristolian,
Apart from Eastern and the KLM, this is the first big jet based at HUY. Think it is a 737-800 (not sure though), is that what XL fly, seen them at HUY a few times and the plane has winglets, so assume it is an 800, although gather the new 600 also has winglets. Whatever, I am sure they will be given the traditional HUY \'personal service\' which the airport is renowned for.

;) :ok:

gary4444
16th Jun 2005, 19:14
All of the flights are part of the Airtours programme for next summer.

Only Rhodes and Paphos are new routes.

The other five routes are offered by Airtours at the moment and are only retimed and in some cases on different days next summer. Its simply XL taking over the operation.

I don't think there will be a based aircraft for this amount of flights.

7006 fan
16th Jun 2005, 19:24
And pray tell Gary, in which part of XL.com/Airtours/ HUY do you work. (WRONG)
Had a bet how long it would take for the slag-off doom-mongers to get going, I was 5 minutes out.
Rats

:cool:

sorry, for new, read additional!

airhumberside
16th Jun 2005, 19:43
So are these flights for Airtours or not? When will there be an announcement from the airport? What airport will the aircraft be based at?

MerchantVenturer
16th Jun 2005, 19:47

You asked about the likely unit for these flights.

I hope you get an Excel 738 (I've flown on Excel's 738s on several occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the experience each time) which is what we had at BRS last summer for the Excel flights.

However, this summer Freedom Flights (part of the group that also includes Excel) have based an Air Malta A 320 and a B 734 to carry out the large programme of their flights at BRS.

In fact the 734, is a former Islandsflug machine still painted in their colours (I frequently see it as I live quite near the BRS flight path). I say 'it' but the equipment may be rotated. I'm not one for getting reg numbers.

Anyway, I am very pleased to see HUY getting some more flights. Good luck and make sure the good people of Humberside fill 'em up.

airhumberside

They are for Freedom Flights, part of the group that includes Excel.

Visit this link, click on summer 2006 and scroll down to Humberside and click on that for the HUY timetable.

http://www.freedomflights.co.uk/Destinations/timetable.asp?Airport=HUY

The Freedom Flights website is at this link.

http://www.freedomflights.co.uk/

airhumberside
16th Jun 2005, 19:59
Also if Airtours/XL.com are the main tour/ticket operators on these flights, will anyone else like Thomas Cook or First Choice also take seats on these flights? Sorry for all the questions - just trying to find out what exactly is going on

7006 fan
16th Jun 2005, 19:59
Thanks M.V.
Useful to know and thank you very much for the information, hope Excel are still maintaining the same service at BRS

AH
The opinion seems to be, from those with no axe to grind -based aircraft- I am sure HUY are going to 'go to town' with this, after all the bad news and flak they have taken in the last 18m they should go for every opportunity to promote it.

;)

AndyHUY
16th Jun 2005, 20:38
Will the new alicante flight replace the current saturday departure? I hope not, i use this regularly!

Great news for HUY!

gary4444
16th Jun 2005, 20:51
7006 fan I don't like your attitude, for some reason you seem to see a reason to snipe at me.

I was only sharing the info I know with everyone.

7006 fan
16th Jun 2005, 21:00
Gary, it was just the way you presented it.

"all are part of Airtours"
" It's simply XL taking over"
"Don't think is's a based aircraft for this amount of flights"
These are additional routes not also rans. Not a reshuffle of the pack, not a tour op pulling out, you no doubt have high up contacts in Airtours who have told you they are pulling HUY (With the greatest respect ...the words brass hat and talk spring to mind.
And you accuse me of sniping!

By the way where did this info come from, not HUY but XL.com.
Take it up with them, why don't you.
Ask Airtours whether they have dropped the routes, ask XL if they have 'won' the route. i think can save you the trouble, the answer is no from both parties, they will both be there Summer 06.

Ouch done it again ...bitten when I should be celebrating!!

FAYI
Airtours have 13 routes from HUY Sum 06
MyTravel 12 routes, etc
KLM full scheduled, Eastern Airways full scheduled
yadayadayada

Buster the Bear
16th Jun 2005, 21:21
From the times and dates I posted earlier today, the aircraft operating into Humberside is clearly not based, but operating on a W pattern from another airport. The former is a departure time from EGNJ, the latter is the time it arrives at EGNJ.

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

gary4444
16th Jun 2005, 22:10
7006 fan, My Travel and Airtours are one!

When the full schedule for next summer comes out at HUY I will tell you "I told you so"

circseam
16th Jun 2005, 22:46
Great news for HUY

Gary444- forget about 7006 fan, leave him alone in an empty room and he'd argue with himself. He cant help himself I'm afraid and please dont think all HUY supporters are this picky.

Anyway enough of fan and his antics, well done XL

7006 fan
17th Jun 2005, 06:46
Let us all just wait for the press announcements from bioth parties to see what will be, rather than speculate on gainsa ad losses shall we?

682ft AMSL
17th Jun 2005, 07:08
Seems pretty obvious to me.

Choose ALC from the list of destinations and it shows a departure time of 19:50 ex-HUY, arriving back into HUY at 02:25.

Choose HUY from the list of destinations and the timing for the ALC service show an arrival FROM HUY at 23:30 and a departure TO HUY at 00:30. i.e. a 1 hour turnaround in ALC.

So,

19:50 dep HUY
23:30 arr ALC
00:30 dep ALC
02:25 arr HUY.

i.e a based HUY a/c.

The times Buster has posted are therefore the turnaround times at the overseas airports, not HUY.

7006 fan
17th Jun 2005, 17:52
anyone see the newly liveried Eastern Airways SAAB. Seems to be running the afternoon flight to ABZ. I say new livery coz it flew out white a couple of days ago and now has corporate ID, unless it was another SAAB!

:)

yeah I noticed the flight times looked weird but then spotted depart/arrive, so would certainly indicate a based aircraft.
what is the phrase
"Where one may go, other shall follow" or something?
Good old HUY.

AndyHUY
18th Jun 2005, 12:52
Do you think that if xl do base an a/c here, is there prospects of other routes to be announced?

Whens the official press release?

NorthOfRiver
18th Jun 2005, 14:02
If I could personally e-mail all the TRUE HUY supporters I would, last thing I want is to give anti-HUY bullets to fire.

BUT like I think both airhumbeside and AndyHUY are trying to say.........hold back on the champers just yet until we see something solid.
There's a nasty (for me anyway) rumour going around, which I understand comes from a reliable source, that Airtours/My Travel are pulling out next year so to establish a base at DSA and xl are basically coming in to fill the void.
We're still down on the 2006 destinations at airtours web site, but as you all know, this accounts for nothing.
I hope I am wrong.

Flightrider
18th Jun 2005, 15:24
The Excel aircraft is mostly flying on behalf of MyTravel (tour ops), so I don't know where on earth that rumour started from. As far as I can recall, you hardly have any MyTravel Airways presence at HUY anyway, but tour ops is there to stay.

7006 fan
18th Jun 2005, 19:34
NoR

I hope to heck those rumours are untrue.
Ain't that just the aviation industry.smile whlist the stiletto slips in, I think that is why airlines don't run airports!!!
MT were a hot potato 9-12m back, some airports stuck by them, others resisted. Now MT are healthy, may it be remembered?

AndyHUY
18th Jun 2005, 22:56
A spokesperson from Mytravel recently said that they remain comitted to HUY, despite DSA being down the road they said that the HUY catchment area served 1million people!

I dont think they have a big presence at HUY and it would make sence to operate from DSA but i think, like thomsons have done, they will stay at HUY! They know there is a market for both airports and why put all its eggs in one basket? There are plenty of passengers to go round, for the forseable future anyway.

gary4444
18th Jun 2005, 23:23
MT were a hot potato 9-12m back, some airports stuck by them, others resisted. Now MT are healthy, may it be remembered?

They run a business not a charity. Airlines always have and will continue to do what is best for themselves.

onion
18th Jun 2005, 23:40
7006 fan mytravel aren't just an airline.
Also it was mytravel who pulled out from airports and not airports throwing mytravel out, why would an airport do that? Mytravel decided they needed restructuring. This involved not only a reduction of flights from UK but all over europe, remember the large holiday companies operate all over the world. They sold off many assets as well. I'm not even sure if you could class them as being out of trouble yet. Yes they are better off than they were 12 months ago.
Also I don't want to rain on your parade but don't get your hopes up just yet. You only have to look at mme, they were told that they would have 2 bmibaby aircraft from the start of operations but it is still only a one aircraft operation. Wait until you can actually comfirm what all the other holiday airlines are doing and even then you could have late cancelations of flights, happened at mme when bmibaby started went from 7 or 9 flights a week down to 2 or 3 for the winter they started.
Although even if it is only a based aircraft doing nothing extra compared to this summer it's still good news.
Humberside deserves a break and this could be it.

7006 fan
19th Jun 2005, 09:57
Ergo my post 17th June, lets wait for the announcements, all this talking up and slagging down is pointless until 'the truth is out there'.

;)

NorthOfRiver
19th Jun 2005, 10:16

lets wait for the announcements, all this talking up and slagging down is pointless until 'the truth is out there

i'd go for that, but in the meantime can someone pass the prozac to me.

7006 fan
19th Jun 2005, 16:45
Sorry, NoR
I've taken it all! Wow that snail is moving fast!

:E

MrDearne
19th Jun 2005, 19:12
Wow that snail is moving fast

That's not the prozac 7006fan. The snail was running away. It was a stowaway on the 4:15 from Paris. It's what you call conditioned behaviour.

7006 fan
19th Jun 2005, 21:18
Mr Dearne,
Was that the snail from the DSA Paris service, arriving the day after but still on time thanks to the Mussolini method of flight scheduling used there?
Please go back to the DSA thread, no-one seems to have anything to say on that site.

holidaymax
19th Jun 2005, 21:27
Back to DSA bashing 7006 fan?

Nice to see on this thread you are able to hold a constructive conversation as opposed to the DSA thread!

MrDearne
19th Jun 2005, 21:43
Personally I think 7006fan is a well balanced guy. He has a chip on both shoulders.

terrywilcox
20th Jun 2005, 01:19
I've come to the conclusion that 7006 fan is employed by some anti HUY group,out to shut the airport. He certainly isn't helping the HUY PR.

7006 fan
20th Jun 2005, 17:52
Not really, just confused by the posting, as I know not what 4.15 from Paris he is referring to, so assumed it must have been a DSA one, that's all -unless he knows of a Paris for HUY!?!

aeulad
21st Jun 2005, 13:02
Full XLA timetable looking like:

TUE ALICANTE 1950-2330 0030-0225

WED PAPHOS 0700-1335 1435-1735
WED RHODES 1855-0105 0205-0435

THU ARRECIFE 0700-1120 1220-1635
THU MALAGA 1800-2200 2300-0055

FRI TENERIFE 0700-1140 1240-1705
FRI DALAMAN 1830-0040 0140-0410

So looking like a split operation with Cardiff. A/C must POS in on a Tuesday and oprate through to early Saturday morning before positioning back to CWL.

This means 2 further new destinations to HUY's charter programme, Rhodes and Paphos. Along with the proposed Fuerteventura, Monastir, Zakynthos and Corfu, not bad for next season.

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
21st Jun 2005, 17:15
Are any flights to AGP/ALC/DLM/Lanzarote/TFS being dropped for these flights or are they additional?

Capt BK
21st Jun 2005, 17:18
For those that are interested. Apparently there will be two cranes in this weekend to hang the doors on the new maintenance facility hangar.

airhumberside
21st Jun 2005, 18:12
Any word on who will use the hangar and when it will open?

7006 fan
21st Jun 2005, 18:51
Do not think the XL routes are dip in-dip out. The other major tour ops web site still carry the routes, mightbe a re-allocation/consolidation but that seems weird, why consolidate 2 planes into 1 with all the loss of charges etc, must be new/additional routes.
As to the hangar...to quote the Rochdale Cowboy
"b..ger.d if I know pal!"
All I can say is 'at last', began to think it was being designed as some sort of fancy wind tunnel or sportzplatz!!! Get a few 'badders' courts in it!
Maybe it could be a film set to re-enact the famous T34 scene from Cross of Iron!
No, thumbs up to the developer :ok: for 'going for it' hope it works out well and brings in more skilled workers and opportunities to produce more skilled workers, got to be better than minding a bubbling bowl of molten iron, surely or filleting fish (both of which are highly skilled jobs in their own right, but I know which I would prefer, if I was a teenager)

AndyHUY
22nd Jun 2005, 09:20
Have you read the article on Rob Goldsmith on thisisgrimsby? Very interesting and the prospect of seeing an Egypt for summer 06.

circseam
22nd Jun 2005, 09:41
Andy - Could you be so kind as to get a link to the article in question.

Thanks in advance

bmibaby.com
22nd Jun 2005, 11:29
Are the Excel Airways routes available to be booked as seat-only on xl.com? I couldn't find any seats on their website. I think in the case of HUY, frequent charter flights to sun spots (esp. ALC/AGP/PMI) with the option to buy cheap seat-only fares would be just as good as having a based low-cost airline. Increasing AGP & ALC to maybe three times a week, and the property-owners abroad would definately use Excel.

lasernigel
22nd Jun 2005, 13:52
A friend is going to Tenerife on the late Friday night flight 0000hrs I think.I know he's booked with Airtours and that according to the departures board it's an LTE flight.Are they actually LTE aircraft or is it contracted out even further..eg to Jordan Air which was being contracted out to them when it went off the runway at LBA the other week??

LBA
22nd Jun 2005, 14:20
Could be anything, I think all the leased a/c (Such as JY-JAR (Now back in service with LTE after the LBA incident,) and the MyAir 320 which they also have leased), are actually been operated by LTE, I.e they are not wetleased.

They will be fine whatever their on :)

AndyHUY
22nd Jun 2005, 18:00
Andy - Could you be so kind as to get a link to the article in question.

I pasted it onto the airhumberside website mate, look on the other topics section for Humberside and then news and articles, you will find it on there.

Alternatively go to thisisgrimsby and search Humberside Airport it is the article dated 21.06.05.

Sorry not very clued up on computers so dont know how to add links:rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

Are the Excel Airways routes available to be booked as seat-only on xl.com? I couldn't find any seats on their website. I think in the case of HUY, frequent charter flights to sun spots
(esp. ALC/AGP/PMI) with the option to buy cheap seat-only fares would be just as good as having a based low-cost airline. Increasing AGP & ALC to maybe three times a week, and the property-owners abroad would definately use Excel.

That would be great and i have brought this up before. I cant understand why these operators dont market some of their seats as flight only, that way an increase in flights would give all concerned (IT and seat only) more choice. They wouldnt need a loco then as this would be just as good.

7006 fan
22nd Jun 2005, 19:37
Hopefully by cutting and pasting this will take you to the correct page

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=151472&command=displayContent&sourceNode=151455&contentPK=12657204&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

alternatively, click on it

circseam
23rd Jun 2005, 08:52
7006 Fan & Andy - Thank you

7006 fan
23rd Jun 2005, 18:51
Circseam,

You are welcome. (Sincerely, honest)
:O

AndyHUY
26th Jun 2005, 22:58
Were letting this thread slip guys! Anything to speculate? Still no news on the xl flights?

circseam
27th Jun 2005, 14:27
7006 Fan - Your honesty has never been questioned, your integrity........perhaps........thanks for the info and putting a smile on my face

7006 fan
28th Jun 2005, 19:20
maybe XL was just a rumour, but why is it on the XL site?
Very confused!!!
:confused:

Also heard Robin Hood ain't got radar and use RAF until about 7 miles then 'hard luck mate you are on you're own!!', yet RH say they have full radar, but the unofficial site says it is to be installed 29th June any ideas?

airhumberside
28th Jun 2005, 20:07
Perhaps it will just be like MyTravel @ DSA. Its been known about for a couple of months but there isnt yet a press release

onion
28th Jun 2005, 21:56
From what I understand regarding the radar the primary is provide by RAF Waddington and the secondary is provide by RAF Scampton. The problem is that at those ranges low cover (below 4000ft) can not be guareented. Eventually the radar service will be piped from RAF Waddington into Liverpool and controllers at Liverpool will provide the service. The problem is though is that Liverpool controllers operate within controlled airspace and Robin Hood airport is in uncontrolled airspace. Add to this the fact that Liverpool controllers will be unfamiliar with the area, with the large amount of military and general aviation traffic and the problem with radar coverage at low level, should make things interesting.

7006 fan
29th Jun 2005, 06:09
Thanks Onion, understand now.

Does make one think
:uhoh:

onion
29th Jun 2005, 17:15
Although have heard today there maybe plans in the future for a radar service to be provided from Robin Hood but that could be 2-3 years minimum and it is only a rumour at the moment.

7006 fan
29th Jun 2005, 17:35
I see the Police helicopter was on stand today, the area looks like a building site at the moment but they appear to be operational. Gather it has all gone to plan.

NFI
1st Jul 2005, 12:54
Heard rumour that they are getting new hangar. An info..

7006 fan
1st Jul 2005, 20:18
NFI,

Much as I would like to say yes, I think the Helios-hangar thing was a cut and paste by the ScunnyT. When I saw the pic I thought; "...yikes that plane is gonna hit the hangar or Rob Goldsmith on the head!...", to my relief it was a montage (don't know if Helios want any royalties!!!)
Wish I knew more.
What's happening about XL.com, anyone know anything more after the XL announcement. HUY have said nothing.

NFI
3rd Jul 2005, 17:44
Nick Nick Airways are now operating the following routes from Humberside..

HUY - HUL (Hull Copshop)
HUY - GRI (Grimsby Goal)

They are operating from the new hangar that has just opened in record time. Not the big green monster.

7006 fan
3rd Jul 2005, 18:28
Yes,

Gather they are offering to assist certain members of the population to enjoy a holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure:
secure location,
shared accomodation only,
some basic en-suite facilities,
full board,
self service laundry,
some discounts on length of stay if well behaved!!

aeulad
4th Jul 2005, 11:40
XL website is now selling all the flights from HUY. The flights are definitely going ahead and according to the website will be operated by Excel Airways.

Just waiting for an announcement from HUY now. Maybe they're waiting for the second edition summer 2006 brochures?

XL are adding 2 more 738s to their fleet next summer, maybe one will be the HUY a/c, or a 734 will move from the NCL base.

Regards

Mike

One more thing, appears that the a/c is not scheduled anywhere else in the XL system to operate on the non-HUY days SAT, SUN, MON and TUE a.m. This would tie in with the new Thomas Cook flights, printed as being operated by Astraeus, but denied by the airline. Plans are for Sunday Zakynthos, Monday Corfu and Tuesday Heraklion. Could these be operated by the XLA a/c? Will HUY get an a/c all week?

Regards

Mike

AndyHUY
4th Jul 2005, 17:04
You seen the article on the front page of the scunny telegraph?

Are these people on summat/:rolleyes:

airhumberside
4th Jul 2005, 17:21
Are these people on summat/
Yes - A new airport at Brigg!!!. I could only laugh when I read about it

Lets hope Excel do base their aircraft all week

7006 fan
4th Jul 2005, 18:28
The article is just so.....fantasy!
Can see their point, Doncaster got DSA to get rid of their unemployment problem so Lincolnshire want to do the same, but Brigg is in N Lincs not Lincs, Nic Dakin played the politics card (not dismissing the idea -just in case!!!). Also what about separation distances and so forth. like the idea of a Licolnshire UA though. Combining NE Lincs/N Lincs and Lincolnshire.

Further into the paper I see HRH the Duke of York is attending the Airport for the grand opening of the new heliport, which is alleged to be top dollar and the envy of even commercial heliports!!!
Right on Humberside, now get the rest of the Airport 'State of the Art'
Rock on

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

airhumberside
4th Jul 2005, 18:42
like the idea of a Licolnshire UA though. Combining NE Lincs/N Lincs and Lincolnshire
Off topic, but I dont like the idea. North/North East Lincs has more in common with Yorkshire than it does with Lincolnshire.

Perhaps its just because I live in Barton which is really a commuter settlement for Hull but in Lincolnshire do see see heavy industry like steelworks. No. In Yorkshire do you? Yes. Also look at where the main transport links from N/NE Lincs go to, to South Yorkshire, not to Lincolnshire.

rufus.t.firefly
4th Jul 2005, 20:08
blimey ...new heliport .....looks like a hangar to me with some offices stuck on the side..

if that Police helo is hover taxi-ing isn't it a bit close to the oil support choppers when they are parked up on all of the spots?

7006 fan
4th Jul 2005, 20:29
Having seen the Police heli's on "Police Camera Action" etc, I think their landing skills would be easy on the big spot, given some of the places they have to land, B roads, back gardens an so on.
A-H,
I agree with some of your sentiments but turning the heavy S Yorks industry argument round the other way, N Lincs has one real heavy industry, S Yorks has plenty. where is the money more likely to go? Also not forgetting the funding agency is called Yorkshire Forward (oh and anything left we might give some snippets to that place south of the river!), sorry just a bit bitter about Yorkshire Forward, especially when they stated their consultants considered the Humber Toll was not an issue!!!
By the by there is a rail service to Newark via Lincoln, although not as good at TPX but point taken.
Political rant over.:*
Back to happier things.
Good news the XL thing is still on, just why is Humberside Airport not screaming from the rooftops?

airhumberside
4th Jul 2005, 20:53
By the by there is a rail service to Newark via Lincoln
Operated by Central. As you say TPE is far better:)

aeulad
5th Jul 2005, 10:46
Press release for the Excel flights due around the 19th July!

Regards

Mike

The Thomas Cook flights to Zakynthos and Corfu are still planned to operate and TC is currently looking for an airline to operate the routes. TC and HUY are very positive that these flights will happen.

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
5th Jul 2005, 17:08
Press release for the Excel flights due around the 19th July!
Thats a long time away

The Thomas Cook flights to Zakynthos and Corfu are still planned to operate and TC is currently looking for an airline to operate the routes. TC and HUY are very positive that these flights will happen.
What about Crete or will TC use the existing flight

Also on these new Greek routes, will Libra, Olympic or Kosmar take any seats on them

LBA
5th Jul 2005, 17:31
A long time away?

What - two weeks? The flights dont start till next summer...

airhumberside
5th Jul 2005, 20:01
I just thought that the airport would want to announce these flights as soon as possible.

What airline will be operating the Tunisia flight next year?

7006 fan
6th Jul 2005, 07:09
Despite Humberside's reluctance to announce one of the best things to happen to the airport in years (maybe since the runway extension?!), all the indications on this site and the flight times seem to point to a based aircraft, so it would be logical for XL to sell the aircraft to third parties "on its days off!" otherwise they would pay out for lots of un-necessary fuel and landing fee moving from one place to another.
The flight only prices look competitive as well, currently the XL site shows a return price to Dalaman in Summer 06 at £169 (that's £85e/w)- at those prices why go lo-co?
Is charter 'flight only' better or worse than lo-co, anyone any ideas?

jumpseater
6th Jul 2005, 08:39
The flight only prices look competitive as well, currently the XL site shows a return price to Dalaman in Summer 06 at £169 (that's £85e/w)- at those prices why go lo-co?
Erm why would a lo-co want to go to Dalaman? A 4 hour sector I think each way. So Mr Lo-co you can do four sectors a day to Dalaman at £85 e/w and back with your 150 seater, or you can do eight to ten short European sectors with your standard yeild management varying pricefrom 5p for the first few seats to £200.00 for the last few... its hardly rocket science is it Mr 7006?

Is charter 'flight only' better or worse than lo-co, anyone any ideas? Depends on what you want, and how its marketed, bit of a silly question. For me I'd say lo-co and book early, you'd likely get the ticket for far less than Mr charter. You're going to be on the plane 4 hours, go and buy some sarnies iand drinks in Boots at the terminal, job done.

aeulad
6th Jul 2005, 08:44
Apparently, it is not the airport's decision not to announce, but they have been asked to hold off by Excel. The a/c will be ONLY part based TUE p.m-SAT a.m.

Unclear as yet about the second HER. TC are actively trying to get other tour operators on side for the CFU and ZTH flights. I would imagine Kosmar, Libra etc are likely candidates.

In other news, Durham Tees Valley has gained a Freebird Bodrum flight for summer 2006. Hopefully HUY will get an extra Turkey flight also.

Regards

Mike

7006 fan
6th Jul 2005, 18:03
Jumpseater,
Brain was somewherelse at that point, meant to suggest Malaga, Alicante, etc, where the prices are about £159. The point with Dalaman is because of the 4 hour flight travel time, which is, what...2,000 miles, that's less than 13p a mile (that is less than my petrol allowance!)
Only flown lo-co once and charter once,would do neither again (although charter was in the early 90's and lo-co 2001) so just wondered if it was any better. From your response it does not appear to have done so. Think I will stick to scheduled.

jumpseater
6th Jul 2005, 22:15
7006 says 'Think I will stick to scheduled.' For :mad: sake!, when will you understand lo-co are scheduled, and always have been, thats one of the reasons why they are so popular!

Malaga and Alicante have proved ripe pickings for the lo-co's at charters expense, hence they (charters)offer seat only now in competition. But my premise is the same, book early enough on a lo-co, you're only in the tube for a couple of hours, and potentially save yourself the cost of a couple of good nights out on the holiday!

'Only flown lo-co once and charter once, would do neither again' blimey, quite the seasoned traveller then! Perhaps if you used the services of lo-co and charter more frequently you'd have a less blinkered opinion and more realistic understanding of the service they provide. I was nearly killed in a crew taxi once, but it doesn't mean every taxi driver will fall asleep at the wheel!

7006 fan
7th Jul 2005, 07:31
Jumpseater,
I have lost count of the number of, for clarity, I shall refer to them as full service flights, I have taken. As to charter, I spent 4 hours in a seat designed for someone of 4'6" not 6', suprised I did not get DVT. Cheapie flights? Being treated like cattle, free for all seats, travellers in various states of inebriation/undress, vulgar uncooth behaviour, inumerous delays, people thinking it is clever to be the last one on and expecting applause from the other pax -motor-coach travel is more appealing.
Flown BA, faux leather seats, leg room, service, feel relaxed. Ditto Malev, CSA, Air France etc.
Maybe I should try no frills flights again, but to me it is the difference between Netto and Waitrose; both sell food but...

jumpseater
7th Jul 2005, 21:24
Both quotes from 7006
'Cheapie flights? Being treated like cattle, free for all seats, travellers in various states of inebriation/undress, vulgar uncooth behaviour, inumerous delays, people thinking it is clever to be the last one on '
Even more interestingly this statistic from 7006
'Only flown lo-co once and charter once'

I think therefore you're talking out of your :mad: I have rarely flown 'full service' as you call it, but have flown many times on both charter and lo-co. Certainly more than your massive single flight on each type of service. I have never seen on the flights I've been on behaviour as you describe, and neither have my non industry connected friends whom also use lo-co as a regular feature of their business travel. Behaviour as you describe does happen, but as various news reports have shown it happens in first class too. On my flights I've only had one delay with Ryanair, due to weather, hardly their fault. I find it interesting that you consistently 'knock' lo-co operations, yet by your own admission you have negligable experience to base your 'red top' headline assumptions on.

Hotel Uniform Yankee
8th Jul 2005, 07:34
Apparently these flights are not taking place from HUY. They were put on the XL web site by mistake. They would like these to happen and have talked about it but nothing definate has been decided. They were leaked from inside XL and some how ended up on the web site.
Also Jet 2 who have resently been to the airport and were interested in operating from HUY have just decided not to persue it any further.

aeulad
8th Jul 2005, 13:00
The Excel flights ARE going ahead, there will be an announcement around the 19th. The deal was only finalised last week, so negotiations WERE still underway when the flights went on sale at the freedomflights website. Flights would not be put on the website 'by mistake' this would be highly unproffessional.

Excel have asked HUY to hold off with the announcement, probably to give the Cardiff announcement it's air time.

Jet2 will have been put off by the based XL a/c, it is a pity, but HUY will continue to offer niche services. Next year HUY will have more charter destinations that LBA and MME.

Regards

Mike

circseam
8th Jul 2005, 13:11
That doesn't leave many UK based, low cost (or in 7006 Fan speak "Cheapie flights") operators left to entice to HUY, from what I've read on this forum, Jet2 have followed Ryanair's decision in not wanting to operate from HUY.

But at least we have a "Bear In The Air" located at the airport, movements will go through the roof (Tongue In cheek Comment)

How is the hangar development going, any news as to whom (as in companies) are being approached to utilise it?

7006 Fan - Good to see your views are as popular as ever, maybe you should turn your attentions to spotting river craft on the River Ancholme, maybe you could entice scheduuled full service boats as obviously charter and scheduled low cost are beneath someone of your stature.

aeulad
8th Jul 2005, 14:15
Apparently flybe. are not interested in HUY anymore:{

With Jet2 and flybe. out of the running, I don't think HUY will ever get a lo-co. The only suitable airlines now as far as I can see are EUjet or Air Southwest.

Guess we will stick to full fares and charter in the main. Not neccessarily a bad thing mind:D

Summer 2006's charter list will look something like this:

Palma
Mahon
Ibiza
Tenerife
Las Palmas
Arrecife
Fuerteventura
Alicante
Malaga
Faro
Larnaca
Paphos
Corfu
Heraklion
Rhodes
Zakynthos
Antalya
Bodrum
Dalaman
Bourgas
Jersey

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
8th Jul 2005, 16:35
Apparently flybe. are not interested in HUY anymore
What about DSA?

7006 fan
8th Jul 2005, 18:40
Hotel Uniform Yankee

If that is the case, and it is all a mistake and an error, why is Humberside still on the XL web site with the same flights as is suggested are the new routes? I would have thought a professional organisation such as XL would continue to offer something they were not going to provide. it would surely be bad press for them to do so.
Amazing how everyone here knows what is happening at Humberside, more so than those 'in the know' at Humberside. When I have spoken to anyone 'in the' they have 'counted nothing in or out', but I do know they will not commit financial suicide just to fly people for less than nothing. (take a look at the Valuation Office web site, the airport has to find £300,000 for business rates and what do business rates do ...bogall, so who pays that!!!)
Tunisia is being advertised for 2006, and that one was dismissed by the great and good, and Tunisia has not been plastered all over the front page of the ScunnyT or HDM.
Maybe their method of selling is different to 'in your face'.?

Circseam,

I would call LHR-VIE-LHR @ £150 on time each way with Austrian good value full service (hot meal, newspaper and drinks included)
I would call DSA-PRG-DSA @ £140 with delays on "lo-co" a mug's game. (there is a golden rule...you don't get something for nothing...).
I have got nothing against lo-co, just wish it was not visualised as the be all and end all of aviation. Bit like going to Fortnum & Mason and saying their restaurant is crap because they don't do beans on toast for a £1, coz the greasy round the corner does!

Cheers Mike but...
You missed Tunisia!!
And of course the boring AMS to points global (Alaska to Australia, all connections within 1 hour's reach -which is quicker than driving to MAN!!!)

terrywilcox
8th Jul 2005, 19:24
7006 fan. re your comparison with LHR on price with the loco. Hope you appreciate that to travel to London for the flight from our area adds a little to the cost. Personally I would much rather fly from HUY on ANY flight than from LHR.

circseam
8th Jul 2005, 20:14
7006 Fan - The publics view of low cost is their cheap price compared to legacy carriers, as we both know the cheapness of these tickets is on a sliding scale, the longer you advance book the chaeaper the price but my point is theyre are bargains to be had and unlike yourself, I dont mind the flight as long as the price is right.

As for DSA, have now flown twice and thompson fly has been great on both ocasions, the pity is the flights from DSA are not available at HUY.......

And by the way, give me a greasy spoon any day

7006 fan
8th Jul 2005, 20:20
I agree with you Terry, I unfortunately have to do the LHR slog on a regular basis, but that is where lthe 'daan saff' guys get the best of both worlds, shame we can't get the same up here.
I always wonder why, in a country so small, travel is fixated with LONDON -OK it is the Capital but from a business point of view there should be loads of little air shuttles flying about, such as A1 Airways and so forth buzzing about the skies. Why not...coz BAA charge stack loads at peak time. Would love to see HUY-LGW or DSA-LGW, because I would prefer a 1 hour flight in a 1900T than 4 hours in car, providing the costs were not astronomic, say £50 e/w?, what is that 10 pax e/w £500, would an airline make money, dunno pssibly Stelois or Micky could, no idea!
I want to see the area grow and get better, the possibility of reducing unemployment, creating new jobs and so forth is exciting, providing the airports work together , but there seems to be a political (Political) bias in the direction of S Yorks, is that because it is Yorkshire Forward, or Yorkshire 'and the Humber' I do not know, but N. Lincs tends to be considered as an 'add-on' by the NGO's.

Circseam,
:ok: the greasy spoon. Had a Fortnum's Hamper for Christmas once, I was so disappointed, the pate was tasteless, biscuits dry and so forth, so even with all that money things are not a success, but 'devil and deep blue sea' spring to mind.
I just know that should I use a lo-co, I will get delayed left right and centre (it is my destiny!). Like I go shopping and think 'err don't like that queue, I'll go here', then spend 20 minutes whilst each product from the person in front has to be itemised. Some of us are destined for that life :{ :D

jumpseater
9th Jul 2005, 08:05
7006 wrote
'I have got nothing against lo-co, just wish it was not visualised as the be all and end all of aviation'
Yet a few posts earlier had written,
'I have lost count of the number of, for clarity, I shall refer to them as full service flights, I have taken. As to charter, I spent 4 hours in a seat designed for someone of 4'6" not 6', suprised I did not get DVT. Cheapie flights? Being treated like cattle, free for all seats, travellers in various states of inebriation/undress, vulgar uncooth behaviour, inumerous delays, people thinking it is clever to be the last one on and expecting applause from the other pax -motor-coach travel is more appealing.'
So that'll be an unbiased opinion then based on one lo-co flight and one charter......

I would call LHR-VIE-LHR @ £150 on time each way with Austrian good value full service (hot meal, newspaper and drinks included)
I would call DSA-PRG-DSA @ £140 with delays on "lo-co" a mug's game. (there is a golden rule...you don't get something for nothing...).
And you're not comparing like with like are you?, why not? What and where en-route, was the reason behind the PRG delay? Were the routes flown identical? Why haven't you compared LHR-PRG? If the PRG delay is an arrival/departure restriction where is your operational advantage for your scheduled full service carrier over your lo-co scheduled carrier? Which European routes do you frequently travel on then?
Why not...coz BAA charge stack loads at peak time, well why shouldnt they? they're in business to make a profit!.
Would love to see HUY-LGW or DSA-LGW, erm theres the issue of available runway slots too, and I see you'd like a lo-cost feeder service (scheduled I presume) to LGW in a 1900T for £50.00:ok:, I was wondering if you were being serious, but reading that I realise you do have a sense of humour, bring it on matey....
Meanwhile back on planet earth there's a regional airport on the coast surrounded by airports with better facilities and bigger catchment areas, that people have to drive past to get to the airport on the coast, thats likely to remain a small regional airport....

7006 fan
9th Jul 2005, 08:49
Jumpseater,
It is exactly what the passenger wants, that is my point. They want to fly for :mad: all. In the ScunnyT the other day; following that 'daft as a brush' article about 'Lincolnshire International', their reporter went out on thestreet to get 'opinions' one theme that was apparent
"it's a good idea because we will get cheaper flights...!!!" What the :mad: are these people on.
And only the previous day in the ScunnyT there was an article that (if one straight-line depreciates the numbers) indicated an aircraft produces 13,000 Tonnes of CO2 per flight on a 1000-1500 mile route. I have seen these figures before (The Saturday Times, no less), so let's all say ":mad: the environment, just give us cheap flights, so we can enjoy exploiting cheap countries, before we turn the world into a huge great rubbish tip full of our 'throw away society' crap"
Bring on the £1.99 flight to JFK, they will sell like hot cakes.
Oh not forgetting the 10p burger brought to you by courtesy of a few murdered pygmies (who no-one gives a :mad: for anyway) and a bit of rain-forest, it's OK I will plant some Cyprus Leylandia to assuage my conscience.
And of course must have those 1p trainers with the flash name on, brought to you by 3, illiterrate 7 year olds working for a grain of rice a day.
That is what cheap is all about.

jumpseater
9th Jul 2005, 09:19
erm.....
So are you saying that lo-co is assisting in world poverty? and that cheap flights should be restricted, thus making them available only to the more privelidged. Well that'll reduce the amount of flights even more at regional airports and create even more difficulty for them to survive....
I'll have some of that stuff you're on please, probably brought to you by 3, illiterrate 7 year olds working for a grain of rice a day.

7006 fan
9th Jul 2005, 10:41
No, I do suggest that lo-co is a big contributor, within aviation, to global warming. Most of the lo-co flights are in the 2-2.5 hour area of time, which is understood to be the most inefficent operating time for a jet engine i.e. it has not really warmed up properly (just like a car, the worst fuel consumption and inefficient burning of fuel is in the first 30 odd miles).
And what is wrong with restricting air travel to those who can afford it, diamonds are restricted to those who can afford it, so is a large mansion house, a Maserati/Lamborgini, first class rail fares or do we sugget that because of consumer demand, all these items should be available to all.
Thinking about it we should really all exist in a Communist/Socialist state, as air travel was nearly free in Russia, the state provided and everyone had a flat provided by the state, and a little patch of ground on the outskirts of town for their Dacha, bread queues were Western propaganda and so on.
Consumer choice is a weak expression used by monopolistic suppliers as a way of getting rid of the competition. The big supermarkets offer choice by bankrupting sole traders to create a market controlled by themselves. Fuel is a cartel, so is coffee production, over produce coffee and the price falls, so burn the supplies to keep the price high.
British farmers are being bankrupted by 'Consumer Choice' A leg of lamb costs about £10, farmers can't even sell a lamb at market for that sort of money.
That is what lo-co does to an airport, forces down the cost so that staff have to be sacked/laid-off to keep costs down.
Ryanair say they do not need flashy terminals and will not pay proper fees, so why do they use them, why not use some GA field somewhere, because if Airports did a lo-co on the lo-co, pax would get really p**sed off. Imagine catching a flight from a barn. That is what the pricing structure of Lo-co should accept (nothing for nothing).

MrDearne
9th Jul 2005, 11:16
And what is wrong with restricting air travel to those who can afford it, diamonds are restricted to those who can afford it, so is a large mansion house, a Maserati/Lamborgini, first class rail fares or do we sugget that because of consumer demand, all these items should be available to all.

The rich man at his castle, the poor man at his gate.
Why not go the whole hogg and re-introduce workhouses.
I think your on the wrong board 7006 fan. Search carefully and I am sure you'll find a Thatcher's A*** licking Forum somewhere.
Do you know what is even more sad, you actually believe your own crap.

jumpseater
9th Jul 2005, 11:28
'7006'
'Most of the lo-co flights are in the 2-2.5 hour area of time, which is understood to be the most inefficent operating time for a jet engine i.e. it has not really warmed up properly'

Oh dear oh dear oh dear....... If you'd like to put a car analogy to this, the jet engine uses the choke to enrich the fuel mix for a few seconds during start up. It then returns to the normal lean burn process. Warming up indeed... oh you are a card 7006.....:ok:

Oh and if you think lo-co's have forced or kept ground staff wages low at airports, that firmly indicates to me just how little you know about our industry.

7006 fan
9th Jul 2005, 14:51
Mr Dearne
I hated Maggie and ilk. She was the one that started all this consumer value crap in the first place, by selling off the family silver, shutting down the mines and buying coal from abroad, so do not call me an a*se licking Thatcherite.!!
If you had read my post carefully you would have realised that I consider capitalist exploitation to be abhorrent. But Jumpseater sums up the consumer attitude quite well with his support of 3 7year olds on a grain of rice for his smart trainers.
Why then, if aviation is so environmentally friendly, is it recognised as one of the greatest polluters of the earth! How many litres of Avtur (which is just a purer form of deisel) does your average holiday charter use per flight 5-6,000? What happens to all the particulates, the benzene the CO2, the CO, the soot etc, I know, the good fairy magics it away of course I had forgotten about that, silly me. Watch a plane take off and look at the crap that comes out of the exhaust and once up look at all the con-trails they are not clouds but pollution.
Not saying ban flying, just wish people would admit it that's all.

Or is Bush right, global warming is just a state of mind. Personally I do not believe anything 'the chimp' says, when I can understand what he is burbling on about that is.

jumpseater
9th Jul 2005, 15:43
I realise you're beginning to lose the thread here old chap as you've now managed to drag Humberside into the third world and abject poverty, but please do me the honour of quoting me the part where I made mention of my ' support of 3 7year olds on a grain of rice for my smart trainers'. I must have missed it laughing at the engine warming up joke. It was a joke wasn't it?

In my professional career I have done quite a bit on protecting the environment from aviation, I spent over 6 years doing it. I note that Humberside doesn't even think fit to give environment the most cursory mention on its web site, let alone have a publicly available policy on it.

'Why then, if aviation is so environmentally friendly, is it recognised as one of the greatest polluters of the earth!'. Well whilst not decrying aviations impact, I think you'll find the 'car' and 'industry' are a bit of a bigger problem. So much so that you'll find that the biggest polluter around airports are the very vehicles that bring the passengers etc to the terminals. Diffusion tubes at airports I have dealt with showed consistently higher amounts of particulate matter etc 'airside' rather than 'landside', which indicated to us, that the 'crap that comes out of the exhaust', as you so eloquently put it, needed addressing through planning issues, to encourage the use of public transport, as the greater pollution risk in terms of emissions was in fact largely outside the fence.

airhumberside
9th Jul 2005, 15:47
What does half this stuff have to do with HUY?

jumpseater
9th Jul 2005, 15:56
No idea mate, 7006 suddenly 'went native' and ended up buying trainers for 1p, and then some dead pygmies turned up with a burger apparently, if I read his ramblings correctly.

onion
9th Jul 2005, 15:59
Hey leave Maggie Thatcher out of this, she's a legend.
7006 you do talk some c**p sometimes.
Yes lo-co do try and push their luck at airports, but on the whole I think you'll find that many an airport wouldn't last without them now. Look at Stansted they must make money yet probably 95% of their movements are lo-co.
On the issue of contributing to the global warming effect, yes aircraft do pollute but not as much as cars would if every person drove to where they are going.
The other thing is that in the UK aviation pays 11euros to the public budget for every 1000 passenger km travelled. On the other hand for every 1000 passenger km travelled on a train cost the public budget 35euros. This is similar in other european countries as well so is not just a one off.
Another interesting fact is that aircraft travelling at altitude actually create ozone and so help close the wholes in the ozone layer.
Also the particules in all fuels that are unburt are actually stopping the global warming effect as they reflect heat from the sun. So we have the situation where by if tomorrow we all stopped burning any fuels the global warming effect would increase over night (this has been scientifically proven).
I'm not saying we should keep polluting the planet far from it but the problem is that with cleaner fuels being developed all the time we have the situation where by the global warming effects will gradually increase. But if we stop burning tomorrow the planet will warm up even quicker. We have reached the stage where by we a damned if we do and damned if we don't.
Also how do lo-co help create world poverty? Remember aircraft use components from all over the world. For instance Boeing have factories and use suppliers in China which ok probably don't pay their work force as much as in the USA but don't pay them a pittance compared to what other workers in China will be on.
Oil comes from all over the world but more and more is coming from Africa and again those employed in it's extraction will be payed very well compared to their nations average. Think of all the fabrics for seats some must come from places like Afica and Asia where the majority of poorer nations are.
What about those lo co in places like India that are employing people in skilled jobs, can't see that these are contributing to global poverty.
I could go on but am now getting bore and fustrated at someone so narrow minded as 7006 :(

Jamesair
9th Jul 2005, 16:02
You have my sympathy AirHumberside....that kind of stuff needs to be on an "anti-aviation" forum.:*

MrDearne
9th Jul 2005, 16:45
7006 fan

And what is wrong with restricting air travel to those who can afford it

By air travel I assume you mean air travel other than the lo-co 'cheepo' flights you so abhor.

Lo-co flights are a godsend to some. Some families on low income can not afford the type of flights that you enjoy....leg room, newspapers etc.
Low-cost flights as part of holidays have given people the cultural oportunitity to enjoy the likes of Barcelona, Prague etc.

I am from the Dearne Valley...an area that was dependent on the coal industry, so I don't need the lecture.

7006 fan
9th Jul 2005, 18:56
I've seen the 'steeping in culture' that us Brits get up to in a foreign land. And it makes me ashamed to be British. Bringing 'Friday night' to the natives 7 days a week. Not wanting to tar all with the same brush, many respect the country and culture they are exposed to but having seen Prague before the 'fall of the wall' and seeing it now, I can but weep. I suppose it is progress but they are now EU members and will require loads of dosh to bring their living standards up to the right level. Doctors are still paid peanuts, about $500 a month.

onion
9th Jul 2005, 19:30
7006 are you sure only $500?
Also remember the poverty line is different for each country so what seems little in this country could be a fortune in another. Not saying $500 a month is a fortune in Prague but you do seem to go on. If only you stopped digging people might give you a hand out of that hole:ok:

MrDearne
9th Jul 2005, 19:57

I appreciate what you are saying but positive or negative progress is far beyond you and I.
Back in the 1970s Barcelona was in pretty poor shape with the beggars and dilapidated buildings. Look what tourism has done to the city (mostly initiated by the olympics).
Look what tourism has done to the Costas. Look how in the past 20 years it has revitalised the Spanish coastline, created jobs and to a cetain degree prosperity. Granted you are always going to get the little Englanders, larger louts etc, but Prague and the old Czechoslovakia wasn't exactly thug or crime free.
For the traditional connoisseurs of history and culture like yourself, I don't think you are ever going to see that 'ambiance' of major cities again, and if you find somewhere else you can pretty much guarentee that not too far in the future the place will, rightly or wrongly be exploited by tour-operators.

Anyway, at the risk of antagonising others further I think we ought to divert the conversation back to Humberside Airport.

7006 fan
9th Jul 2005, 21:22
Agreed just wish the b**gers at HUY would be a bit positive.!.
Starting to wonder if it is a case of Nero!!! Hope not.

MrDearne
9th Jul 2005, 21:45
I think summer 2006 is very pivotal as far as HUY is concerned. If the XL flights go well then I think you’ve cracked it….more will follow.
It’ll not only send out messages to other tour-operators/airlines, but to the MAG group who might realise the potential and become less rigid in their approach to HUY.

symphonyangel
10th Jul 2005, 09:35
'Rigid in their approach to HUY' - what do you mean by this?

MrDearne
10th Jul 2005, 10:22
I think its horses for courses. HUY is one of the very few profitable airports (I could be wrong), it makes money for the MAG group, but its err on the side of caution I feel has restricted its growth. I am not a HUY supporter, but I find it really hard to believe, considering its catchment area (particularly before DSA), that a lo-co has not wanted to set up a base there, but for some reason they have not. Not everyone, 7006fan for example, are overly in favour of lo-co or cheap charters, but it’s still possible to base a lo-co and still in time be profitable. I feel the potential is still there for HUY. I live in between Rotherham and Doncaster, and would sooner use DSA, but if I can get a better deal at HUY for family, and myself I would have no hesitation driving the few miles to HUY.

7006 fan
10th Jul 2005, 16:31
You are so right. For the East Coast and North Midlands, HUY was, for some time, the only choice, as a local airport within an easy drive for scheduled services. When the runway was extended things should have really 'taken-off' and I suppose it has, with pax numbers up to c.500,000. Air UK had loads of routes -Germany, Norway, Gatwick?, France etc, not particularly big aircraft F27's &28's, Embraers and the like. all those routes are now history and all HUY has is AMS (KLM) & ABZ (Eastern), and neither of these seem to want to put on any other routes, would have thought KLM would try a CDG now they 'own' Air France, gather the Gill Airways operation was very popular. I think it need ssomeone with a bit of cash and guts to try some routes and see what happens. Using a Dash 8 or ATR 42, EMB 145, something like that. I am tempted, to a certain extent, to ask the bank, but am kept busy enough as it is, need some time to cut my hair, and with no aviation experience I doubt I would get past the general enquiries desk.
When my numbers come up next Saturday maybe!!!

:rolleyes:

Andy_S
11th Jul 2005, 07:08
would have thought KLM would try a CDG now they 'own' Air France

I think you'll find that it's actually Air France who 'own' KLM.....

circseam
11th Jul 2005, 10:46
7006 Fan - I know you have a legion of detractors but please dont stop posting, your posts lighten up my day, from HUY to world poverty, engines not operating at their most economical during a 2.5 hr flight and woe is me, aircraft are polluting our atmosphere...priceless, absolutley priceless.

You have to be a stand up comedian in your working life as well as an aviation expert in your spare time because I always thought Brigg was only good for the leisure centre until I read your posts.... priceless, absolutley priceless.

Air Humberside - At least the HUY thread remains at the forefront of the forum!

Anyway, back to the thread in hand, anyone yet have any information on the opening date of the new hangar?

MrDearne
11th Jul 2005, 17:18
Mr circseam

7006fan is an intensely committed and enthusiastic supporter of HUY, and when his back is against the wall he'll come out fighting. I respect this in a person.
I shouldn't underestimate him, he's very adept at guiding conversation patterns and drawing a lot of people in.
I think it'll make for a boring board or a boring world if we all sang from the same song sheet.
I enjoy the debates and I am sure the regular HUY regulars enjoy the same.

7006 fan
11th Jul 2005, 19:34
Thank you, Mr Dearne.
I do tend to get a bit heated (understatement) at times, but it can be so frustrating that whenever Humberside tries to do anything people bowl in with "that will never work, ...Oh here we go again, ...give it a week,..." is it any wonder.
The people who work at Humberside are very dedicated workers, I know some of them, and they work very hard; going the extra mile when needed. They get frustrated sometimes that all seems to be against them, but there seems to be more of a lift in their step recently and this has been growing over the last couple of years. The development of the hangar, police heliport, arrivals extension, enlarged DF, enlarged restaurant, enlarged car parks all are major infrastructure projects so they can see some things happening, the hope is this is for the BIG EXPANSION. I do hope so.

airhumberside
11th Jul 2005, 19:52
Sorry to bring it up again, but does Flybe not coming to HUY mean they will go to DSA?

MrDearne
11th Jul 2005, 20:22
It's what you call human nature and what gives everyone a right to express an opinion. This is the reason why this board is always near the top.
Some people support football teams, some support pop stars, some support airports...there's no less enthusiasm between the three.
HUY and DSA are local rivals so flak is inevitable between the two. I have said before that 2006 will be a vital year for HUY, mainly because the new kid on the block DSA, but look how HUY is rising to the challenge. Look how more enthusiastic HUY supporters are becoming? I think HUY will comfortably ride the challenge and come out the other end in a far stronger position than it is now. LBA will see a substantial increase in pax, and DSA will spiral once long hauls are introduced. People are going abroad a lot more now than they used to, and two holidays abroad a year is not uncommon.
I strongly suspect that you will see developments in the near future at HUY, mainly through self-preservation on behalf of the MAG group. Ideally it’ll want its passengers to use Manchester, but rather than lose custom, it will want to offer people this side of the Pennines an alternative to DSA and LBA. Rest assured though in three years times when pax from HUY and DSA airports increase threefold, we’ll still be on this board kicking lumps out of each other.

airhumberside
11th Jul 2005, 20:28
Traffic at HUY increase threefold in three years time! Your more optimistic than me. Hope that is what happens but at least some of the Excel flights are replacing existing charters, Flybe arent coming, Jet 2 arent coming, I dont see were that many extra passengers will come from

MrDearne
11th Jul 2005, 20:29
Mr Humberside,

re: flybe

One thing I have learnt is that speculation and rumours in the aviation world tend to run wild but they're less reliable than, say, the football transfer world. The tour operators/airplanes play their cards very close to their chest.

Traffic at HUY increase threefold

Wasn\'t meant to be taken literally, I was speaking hypothetically. I wish I could see into the future, I wouldn’t be going to work tomorrow, that’s a certain.

circseam
12th Jul 2005, 10:03
Have to agree with Air Humberside point as to where the airport's business plan is taking it, with no prospects of future scheduled routes seemingly in the pipeline I think it may be a risk to put all your eggs in one basket regarding charters from HUY.

Could the airport possibly re-invent itself as a cargo hub, sparsely populated area and thus could operate 24/7, ample room to build a cargo handling centre, good road connections to the rest of the UK and I presume cheaper airport fees then say EMA. Maybe something on the lines of express parcels with HUY being the hub and a road network being the spokes.

Shoot me down but what other market can HUY tap into?

Mr Dearne - To say I have alot of respect for 7006 Fan would be an over the top and bold statement but I do agree with your the majority of your comments and feel 7006 Fan does give this thread something that lacks on most other airport happening forums and thats conviction and passion, better place for having you 7006 Fan (two complimententary posts 7006 Fan, you'll have a fan club soon!!!)

aeulad
12th Jul 2005, 10:27
Maybe I should have been a bit clearer on the flybe. front. My sources tell me that the airport finds it near impossible to be considered by BE. This is not to say that BE will never be a part of the HUY operation, however, it is highly unlikely. As to whether they will go into DSA, I would consider that a more likely prospect. There is certainly more of a demand from DSA to some of BE's top markets such as BHD, EDI and GLA.

To say that putting all your eggs in one basket where the charter side is concerned, isn't that exactly what most other airports are doing where low-cost airlines are concerned? HUY is a truly diverse enterprise, helicopters, charters, high yield scheduled, freight, police support. All adds up!

No-one can deny that it would be great to see some kind of Lo-co operation at HUY, but it may never happen, and we must make the best of what we have and of what is to come in other areas.

What exisiting charter flights will the XL replace? MYtravel and Thomson websites still saying the likes of PGT to DLM and AEA to ACE. In the Panorama brochure, timings for the MIR flight suggest a based machine. Dep HUY approx 1300 and rtn approx 2130. These first edition brochures are so confusing!

Regards

MIke

airhumberside
12th Jul 2005, 17:24
My sources tell me that the airport finds it near impossible to be considered by BE
The airport is a typical Flybe airport. Less than a million passengers a year, main traffic is charters. Flybe also have right planes to exploit the local market. Either people at Flybe need to get their head screwed on or HUY need to sort out their marketing to airlines

What exisiting charter flights will the XL replace?
AEU to Malaga looks like one

7006 fan
12th Jul 2005, 19:17
Gee, thanks guys.
:O

Wouldn't life be boring without loose cannons. What would Ryanair be without MOL, the Tories without Boris... etc.!!!
Seriously though, it looks like XL is going ahead as it is still on the web-site (would have been erased by now if in error, surely-or is the 'to err is human...' still present?
Cargo is an option, but the runway is surely the problem HUY can't take anything more than a laden 767 at the moment and to add on another half a klick of concrete would cost pot loads I would have thought. Just had my drive done and that was costly enough!!!
Agree with A-H about FlyBE, but has HUY got what it takes for them, did not FlyBE want Exeter to spend £millions upgrading facilities or something?

niknak
13th Jul 2005, 14:17
I'm amazed that you haven't latched on to the facts of low cost operations, i.e.
1 - large catchment area required, and
2 - airport management willing to take the plunge.

Humberside has neither of these, frankly, the management have been positively anal about low cost airlines for many years (and I include the pre MAN PLC regime in this category).

Unless you offer the low cost operators a good deal, which will ineviatebly mean that the airport makes nothing out of it for a couple of years, then they won't come.
It's a fact that if you offer low cost flights, approximately 30 per cent of those passengers will come back and use the airport for other flights during the next 12 months.

I admit to having a vested interest, but Norwich is the prime example, low cost flights started at the beginning of the year, and there are now a wide variety of low cost flights available and more to come, by the mid 2006 they expect to be turning over (excuse the pun) 1 million pax per year, ( a frightening thought.... ;) )

I wish HUY no ill will, but the "head in the sand" attitude which prevailed during the development of DSA and still does, will kill them commercially.
I hope it never happens, but if they're not careful, all they'll be good for soon is a few AMS, and couple of ABZ scheduled services per day, and a good place to do training, and that's about it.

MrDearne
13th Jul 2005, 17:13
Surely the Manchester Airport Group has to realise that in order to prevent passengers from this side of Pennines going to DSA and LBA because of locality and increasing meeting of needs, it would be wise to invest in HUY and offer airline incentives.

7006 fan
13th Jul 2005, 18:48
But that is surely the rub.
One has to accept a loss over a considerable period of time before seeing a benefit. That is great if the risk is shared, but if it is one-sided, i.e. low charges from the airport and "...oh by the way if the route does not work we will can it..." by the airline is a bit of a one sided arrangement. How many people out there running a business (a shop for example) would allow a company free rent of a space for that particular company to see it's product and if after x time it was not making enough money (note I did not say making money) they say thanks Mr Shop-keeper and walk away...forget it, one would surely want some form of risk share after all the shop is assisting in facilitating the other trader's customers, the add-on sale is very tenuous!?
Great to have an airport with loads of pax, but, like a town with loads of people that only window shop and don't buy the town centre becomes a wasteland. Or the restuarant whose tables are full of 'one coffee and a croissant' all day, no fois gras and salmon steaks with caviar get a look in cos all the tables are occupied. the restaurant looks busy -packed out, but it makes B-all.
Does that make sense at all? Or is the science and economics somewhat different to Keynes et al.

MrDearne
13th Jul 2005, 20:10
Or is the science and economics somewhat different to Keynes et al.

That's very deep 7006

I know very little about macro/micro economic theory etc so I'll not make my self look stupid.........I do enough of that as it is.

I think I can see what you are getting at, but surely there is more to it than just the cost of a flight ticket. An increase in number of pax, even if the airport was making a loss for a couple of years, surely would have a knock on effect to the local economy. If after two years a low cost based airline increases your pax by 250,000, like I surmise it has done at Coventry, its another quarter of a million people using airport and local facilities, a local shopkeeper wouldn’t need to sub-let space.
It’s a tricky one you have there at HUY, 7006fan. Do you speculate to accumulate and rock the steady boat? Or do you play the safe game and say a little profit is enough whilst seeing an abundance of action at other airports?
I can see what you say about the Airport having more risk and more to lose than, say, the airline/tour operator, but isn't that how the airport industry works?

7006 fan
13th Jul 2005, 20:39
Ran the risk line for a long time. Relying on 3rd party payments to cover the risk investment of c.£150k (borrowed), if it all went wrong I still owed the bank 150k. But it was worth it in the end, but was very hard work, cleared the 150k back to the bank and saw a decent return to myself +15% overall. maybe Humberside should do the same!! Just a thought.

MrDearne
13th Jul 2005, 20:47
Have any local council (i.e. North Lincs, Humberside) still got a stake in the airport?

7006 fan
13th Jul 2005, 21:15
Yep,
N Lincs still retain an interest, about 17%, I think, according to the ScunnyT. All the others: NE Lincs, East Riding Lincs? sold their interest, might be carrying out self abuse now, but might have seemed right at the time?

MrDearne
13th Jul 2005, 22:41
I used to work for a partnership based in Hull, and at the time they were preparing a paper concerned with strategies aimed at regeneration, job creation and an overall future viewpoint of Humberside and the City of Hull. I wasn’t a big player, more a general dogsbody. For what it’s worth though, Hull has pretty much lived up to expectation with the concentration of high private and public sector investment it has seen of late. Humberside Airport was always high on the agenda. If I remember rightly a year or two before the Manchester Group took it over, it had seen a good degree of development. But it wasn’t to stop there. Plans were afoot to regenerate the whole area around the airport, a bit like DSA is doing now, and the airport management committee was intent on expanding operations and it used East Midland Airport as a yardstick. I can only guess the Manchester Group put the spoke in after it acquired a majority share holding.
My allegiance is towards DSA, but I’ve got a soft spot for HUY, and to be perfectly honest, I was a bit p****d off when after all this time HUY hadn’t made much of an inroad to exploit its potential.

large catchment area required

I would have thought the Humber region had a greater catchment area than the Norwich area

jumpseater
13th Jul 2005, 22:47
7006 ''One has to accept a loss over a considerable period of time before seeing a benefit. That is great if the risk is shared, but if it is one-sided, i.e. low charges from the airport and "...oh by the way if the route does not work we will can it..." That is in a way true, however 7006, please don't think that the 'established' lo-co's don't have a pretty good idea of if that route will work before starting it. In the early days of lo-co's it was certainly more of a risk, but now the established players are far cuter regarding the potential yeilds. Don't forget if they have to 'can' a route thats a big loss for them too. Money as a lo-co operator you can ill afford to lose. A new lo-co would present a greater risk to an airport in my opinion, unless they really have a unique product. Both eJ and Ryan are pretty bullish about the likely survival of small or new operators. Have a search for an airline called NOW on the prune forums and you'll see what I mean. It was an operation that many of us around the lo-co side of the industry had deep reservations about, and unfortunately for those who joined NOW, we were proved right.

Again one element you appear to have missed out on (no disrespect here), is the increase in volume of pax through the terminal, increases the business potential and money making potential on terminal commercial agreements. The BAA has for years made more money from the terminal commercial activities than they do from airport operating charges. If you look at places like Luton, the amount of terminal commercial activity, (i.e. serving the pax) has increased beyond all recogniton. This is primarily due to lo-co operations, take a look at Airline series 1, and compare with the latest programmes. Ignore the people, look past them into the background, the airport is unrecognisable. Its partly a 'no pain no gain' equasion, however I suggest with the established lo-co's the odds are far better of making a return. When eJ turned up at Luton the concept was unheard of, flying for the price of a pair of jeans, but see the way the industry has changed since. Unfortunately Humberside is arguably in the wrong location, and has lost out to DSA in attracting lo-co's and the potential revenue they bring into the region. The no pain no gain outlook is also seen outside the aviation industry, Tottenham Council in London is offering free deals to high street chains to come to their area, to assist in regeneration and all that goes with it. Its a risk certainly, but what else will encourage them to come?

7006 fan
14th Jul 2005, 06:43
Glasgow Prestwick is a classic example of 'lo-co rescue'. An airport on its beam ends and now, millions of pax through the terminal. They have spent a considerable amount of money to facilitate the operations which is great. A couple of years ago BOH were going to spend loads as they had Buzz. But then Buzz got bought out and a consolidation of routes occured and BOH had nothing. Good job it happened before the works took place. The add-on sales are great especially if like LGW/LHR the terminal contains enough shops to fill a small town centre, but the terminal has none, they have to be constructed.
Maybe the LPL agreement with EZ is a way forward, gather it is a 15 year? deal based on year on year step changes in fees, sounds sensible, no doubt there will be a get out clause for the airline on payment of a compensatory fee?
I think it all comes down to money in the end and historically HUY has never benefitted from fiscal investment, maybe some big cash should be chucked at it to see what happens!!!

M62 here I come
:* :ok:

Capt BK
14th Jul 2005, 07:43
Not sure if it's true but I was told by someone the other week who works at the airport that HUY would like to buy more land around the airport however it is all owned by the same guy who is flatly refusing to sell any. I think it is the guy (Lord someone or other) who owns the stately house type building about a mile to the east of HUY, he is always complaining about circuit traffic so I don't think he is a big fan on the airport.

Just to reiterate, this is second hand info.

CBK

circseam
14th Jul 2005, 09:37
Maybe the land could be for the additional runway that airport so desperatly needs to aleviate the movement congestion but there again i could be taking the urine!

Not more industrial developments to lease out to cover the costs of operating an airport that can not attract airlines to operate scheduled full service or low cost routes that most local airports seem to have other than HUY!

Probably the said owner is more cheesed off that the airport can not utilise what they already have

Cynical comments, perhaps but the shear abuse of tax payers money over the years (NE Lincs 1/3 share) and seemingly lax management is turning HUY into an aviation backwater and the people in the area are being short changed of direct services to the both the rest of the UK and Europe

C'mon HUY pull ya socks up

NFI
14th Jul 2005, 10:57
Why all this waffle about low cost and routes etc.....

Forget the past and who tried what. I am sure every airline has looked at every airport in Britain several times for potential bussiness. The clear lack of interest by the airlines with Humberside is that they do not see viable routes. They are the ones that have been to school and leaned about the bussiness. If they all show no interest then pehaps they are correct in thinking Humberside is best left to charters.

Instead of hundreds of posts of what could happen and the size of the catchment area etc.. why not try and sell Humberside for what it is and its advantages.

Easy to get to. Ample parking that is not miles away. Personal friendly service by the Airport staff as they are not overwelmed like larger airports.

Forget catchment areas, I will always choose a quiet airport if I can, no strees no fuss and easy life.

Away from the terminal,

I notice serveal exec jets using the airport. Ease of access etc.
This includes exec jets available at Humberside.

There are several flying schools

A busy heliport, and now blue light airways.

Cargo - several dedicated cargo flights each week flying in fish.

Eastern Airways headquaters and main maintenance base.

New hangars being built for more aircraft maintenance.

Specialised maintenance available to ex-military jet trainers.

In summary if the airport was not viable then I would have assumed all activity would have ceased ages ago. If the Management of the Airport want to grow the airport it is up to them. I as someone who is emplyed at the airport enjoy it for what it is, not what some think it should be.

circseam
14th Jul 2005, 11:18
NFI - Your easily pleased then!

Think we all like HUY for what it is, but surely as someone whom is reliant upon the airport for ones employment then surely you want to see the airport grow, I among others are only speculating as to where that road will take HUY.

As an ex-employee of the very same airport (many moons ago might I add) I would just like to see the airport attract services the majority of the UK already have, your post seems to reflect the very attitude of the airport, dont fix something that aint broken.

That maybe good enough for you but I for one want more than is currently on offer.

NFI
14th Jul 2005, 13:34
Mr C.

I do agree don't fix what a'int broke. However there is expansion at Humberside - . EASTERN AIRWAYS Humberside based airline.

As the largest employer at the airport, it seems strange that Eastern is always ignored when you speculate about the future
of the airport.

In the last 18 months Eastern Airways has built new offices, added more aircraft to it's fleet and more routes to it's network. This has increased employment at Humberside.

The company has a niche schedule market that covers 17 airports in the UK. Aircraft are an ideal size for specialized charters that includes football teams, pop stars and corperate clients.

Forget the loco's speculate what Humberside's largest employer plans to do next. It can only be good for the airport.

circseam
14th Jul 2005, 14:03
Mr N,

Am well aware of Eastern Airways, it's base, its aircraft and its routes but thanks for the insight.

We both agree that Eastern is the major employer at HUY but my posts refer to actual routes flown from HUY, for all of its size Eastern Aw only operates one route from HUY and there lies my point....... its operators that HUY needs, operators to routes currently not flown from HUY.

Eastern Mark I operated far more routes from HUY than the Mark II, they even operated european routes from the airport, how things have changed.

But as you have previously mentioned, thats the past, I just cant see the direction the airport is heading in the future, you have different ideas to me but I respect your point.

Mr C

mmeteesside
14th Jul 2005, 15:48
Why don't Eastern operate routes to Europe?? There are some routes that would be just right for a J32 or J41, and the bigger routes they could use a Saab 2000, now that they have 4 ;)

mmeteesside

Andy_S
14th Jul 2005, 16:16
Why don't Eastern operate routes to Europe??

Do you mean from HUY, or in general? If the former, probably because there just isn't the demand - at least not at the price Eastern will charge for their tickets. The Humber region, like Teesside, has obvious connections with the oil industry, so there's a demand for business travel to Aberdeen, and a variety of companies who will pay good money for it.

Like it or not, and I'm sure there are HUY fans who will swear otherwise, the Aberdeen route has very specific attributes which allow Eastern to exploit it as a niche. I really don't see significant
business only demand for any other routes. Most travel to European destinations, business and leisure, can probably be catered for via Amsterdam.

7006 fan
14th Jul 2005, 18:40
OK, let's have a thought here for a second.

HUY has a 'static' charter market based upon the loyal local customer who appreciates the no-hassle, no delay, easy access of HUY.
HUY has Eastern Airways (why not more routes guys?- even feeder/code share to near Europe, or are they wedded to £300 to ABZ).
Active off-shore market,.v.v.v.busy,
Expanding cargo work (albeit niche)
Plenty of Bizjets
Packed out Scheduled to AMS (Why no F100/ small 737?)
Possibility of engineering with the big hangar
Nick Nick Airways (surely they ain't there for free)
AND
For the last 2/3 years, as I understand, a profit (small but in the black -not the red).
Why change strategy?. It is working, why go for something different, why go lo-co with such huge lo-co competition down the road?, maybe one or two; Alicante, Budapest, Nice, Malaga or such.
But if what is there provides a steady income stream and the 'bean counters' are happy, why go high risk in a very high risk market?
Wonder if North Weald gets the same sort of grief?

MrDearne
14th Jul 2005, 19:38
Strange, but the more you look and read about current operations at HUY, the more you start to realise its worth. NFI put a sound argument across.
I am all for low cost operations and a good choice of destinations, but DSA can comfortably serve that end of the market for the Humber area like 7006fan touched on.

........... based upon the loyal local customer who appreciates the no-hassle, no delay, easy access of HUY
I have to agree but the reputation of being no hassle, friendly, no delay etc spreads a little more than local. I know quite a few people from Doncaster, Wakefield and Leeds who swear by HUY because of reasons mentioned.
Just maybe DSA and HUY compliment each other because by and large (for the time being anyway) they are chasing different markets.

DC10FAN
14th Jul 2005, 20:18
7006fan,

I'm pleased to advise that KLMC will be upgrading 2 of the HUY-AMS flights(@1030 and @1445) to F100s from end of October. I've used this service numerous times over recent years and the a/c capacity changes every year; let's hope the trend is now upwards.

7006 fan
14th Jul 2005, 20:57
MrDearne

I think you are correct, both airports serve differing but complenentary pax bases, a diversity of routes and packages, so should get along just fine (hopes)

DC10fan

That is grrrrrrrrrreat news maybe Eastern will now go SAABtastic or Embraer on the ABZ?
And Tunisia for 06, plus the XL flights with based aircraft (even if it does consolidate a few routes, as suggested elsewhere) That will mean three planes overnighting at HUY all week!!!
Maybe someone ought to start thinking about that long promised hotel? (theoretically that is 10 rooms each night for the summer sorted!) Hmmmmm, Grande Hotel 7006, doesn't somehow ring !!! :D

DC10FAN
17th Jul 2005, 10:47
There is one route which should be re-started; AF HUY-CDG. This had limited appeal before as it was hampered by a/c type(ATR) and little marketing imo but several things have changed.
This route served 2 or 3 x daily using ERJ135 could work just as well as the HUY-AMS. Since both carriers are now one then why not corner the market on all possible long-haul connections and also offer direct flights to Paris; probably more demand than Amsterdam. The current F70s on the HUY-AMS can't cope with the demand so why not offer connections via CDG as well? I've noticed some flight consolidators even offering HUY-AMS-CDG-XXX when the direct AMS-XXX flights are full. Also KLM flights are often full in one direction but I suspect an AF flight could be available ie. HUY-AMS-JFK-CDG-HUY routing would then be possible.

airhumberside
19th Jul 2005, 06:07
BBC Look North say 9 new routes to be announced today. The other two are Faro and Palma

The report of the BBC Humber website about the expected announcement uses a picture of a KLM B747 - I wish

aeulad
19th Jul 2005, 09:04
Full details are on the humbersideairport.com website now. Flights to:

Alicante
Arrecife
Dalaman
Faro
Malaga
Palma
Paphos
Rhodes
Tenerife

Flights to be operated with 737-800 a/c by the sounds of it.

Regards

Mike

GrahamK
19th Jul 2005, 09:20
Or perhaps the dreaded 737-400 :E

RobT100
19th Jul 2005, 09:26
No of course graham it will be a F100, while super duper DSA get a 747.
Guess DSA might feel a little pressure here (i hope) :ok:

GrahamK
19th Jul 2005, 09:32
Humberside Expansion (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4693967.stm)
There's the BBC News story ;)

Rob, what's DSA got to do with anything? :confused:

RobT100
19th Jul 2005, 10:03
Everything graham. We all know about your DSA / NCL fetish !:D
Always bulling them up and belittling and such threat to these airports.

aeulad
19th Jul 2005, 10:24
Press release says 737-800. Those nasty -400s won't be coming anywhere near our nice little airport:}

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
19th Jul 2005, 17:07
Do the extra two routes mean the aircraft will stay a day longer or are they W rotations

aeulad
27th Jul 2005, 15:44
Humberside Airport is in the final stages of planning for another 5 summer routes for Summer 2006. I have details of four of the routes, but the fifth is as yet, unclear.

Corfu
Fuerteventura
Kos
Zakynthos

Again, Excel Airways is likely to be involved.

Regards

Mike

AndyHUY
27th Jul 2005, 17:29
Does this mean that the aircraft could be based permanently? Im very confident now that the 600,000 pax mark could be broken in the next couple of years if these are a sucessful.

By the way, who was it that said HUY doesnt need EUJet?;)

AIRPORT MARKS 30 YEARS OF FLIGHTS

12:30 - 27 July 2005

Humberside Airport at Kirmington is celebrating its 30th anniversary, and to celebrate its success, the terminal will be transformed into a mini-carnival this week.

Stilt walkers and jugglers will be entertaining passengers and aviation enthusiasts on Friday and there will be a giant cake. More than 6,250,000 passengers have travelled through Humberside Airport since its launch 30 years ago.

And a spokeswoman for the airport said there was already plenty to celebrate this year.

"There has been the recent announcement of the biggest ever programme of flights from Excel Airways," she said.

"We are also getting a new service to Tunisia for summer 2006, a new operation to Malaga and an increased capacity on flights to other popular summer destinations for the summer 2005 season."

Friday\'s carnival day was the perfect way to celebrate the success, said Rob Goldsmith, managing director of Humberside Airport.

"Since the first commercial flight took off 30 years ago, Humberside Airport has grown to become a firm favourite with passengers from the region," he said.

"This is because people know they will get the same friendly and reliable service every time they fly from the airport.

"This is the kind of service we pride ourselves on and we look forward to welcoming familiar faces and new passengers to our anniversary celebrations."

Mr Goldsmith said the plan was now to focus on further success.

"We are now looking ahead to the next 30 years and with several exciting developments in the pipeline we are confident the airport will go from strength to strength," he said.

The passenger terminal at the former RAF Kirmington base was officially opened in 1975. The field was served by its first scheduled flight - Air Anglia opening a service to Amsterdam - a route which still exists 30 years later.

The daily scheduled flights to Amsterdam Schiphol airport provide regular access for passengers from the region to a major hub, connecting to destinations worldwide.

Humberside Airport now offers a programme of summer flights to a range of holiday hotspots and a variety of winter destinations.

It has a thriving freight operation and the second largest heliport in the country, serving gas rigs in the North Sea. It is also now home to the Humberside Police Helicopter Section.

(This is scunthorpe news article)

7006 fan
27th Jul 2005, 18:27
Blimey,
I ought to go away to Florida more often. It seems every time I go on holiday something good happens at Humberside!! (Maybe HUY could pay me to go on holiday more often...!!! ;) )
But seriously, this is brilliant news for HUY and if Mike is right, even better. (How come Brighton get's the news before the locals!!! -nice one Mike :ok: )

So two routes not before used at HUY plus the 5 or is it 7 others on Excel (some of which might consolidate some flights, but who knows it seems some of the flights are over booked so there may be slack to take-up), plus Tunisia. A little lo-co operation to a couple of unusual destinations South of France/Italy seem poorly served, or what about Central Europe; the new members of the EU (2.15 hour flight to most of the main cities, I think?)

Or, I say again LGW/LCY/LTN? to access London, would make the City and West End just about commutable for the hi-flyers (no pun intended!!!) If people do it to Amsterdam, why not London?

Exciting stuff

:D

Leodis
27th Jul 2005, 20:10
Looks like the MAG are handing out a few freebies to get the airlines into HUY and good on them if they are. Hopefully it'll teach Peal a lesson or two for trying to 'happyslap' the airports of the North.

Seriously though, excellent news!!

AndyHUY
27th Jul 2005, 23:17
Looks like the MAG are handing out a few freebies to get the airlines into HUY and good on them if they are.

Is that official or speculation? I think without peel, though, the MANplc would have pretty much had a monopoly over the north so in a way the competition has done some good! Although had Easyjet not bothered with LPL i doubt that peel would have been interested at all! I dont think they are as good as they make out.

A little lo-co operation to a couple of unusual destinations South of France/Italy seem poorly served, or what about Central Europe; the new members of the EU (2.15 hour flight to most of the main cities, I think?)

I think prague and the like would be great! Although DSA are trying to stitch up the lo-co market in the area now (which i believe will put the majors off) but a well known lo-co operating a modest set of routes from HUY would certainly not go a miss, however unlikely it may be.

I think they should try more to connect us with london and paris again and work their way up from there! Afterall the frequency from DSA to CDG is dire! 6 weekly i believe! Then there arnt the easy connections you would expect from AF/KLM!

Things realy are looking up for the airport and anyone who has seen he article in the business supliment in the Hull Daily Mail will know that there may be more from Excel for winter 06 and summer 07 and mr goldsmith hopes that recent events may encourage more airlines to come in to HUY! Watch this space!!!

aeulad
28th Jul 2005, 12:00
I would bet money on the fact that Excel and HUY will be able to offer Sharm el Sheikh for Winter 2006/7.

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
28th Jul 2005, 12:35
Any word on the tour operators for all these new flights yet. I know they are mainly Airtours and Thomas Cook but there is often more than one company on a flight

airhumberside
28th Jul 2005, 15:35
According to a post on the LBA thread, AEU will operate the ALC flight this winter with a LBA based aircraft poitioning to HUY on a Tuesday

aeulad
28th Jul 2005, 17:04
I will try and sum up what I know about the new flights and the respective tour operators.

Monastir is being offered by the Mytravel group which includes Airtours and Panorama. The Mytravel group also appear to be offering Kos and Zakynthis according to the booking engine on the Airtours website.

Thomas Cook's 2nd edition brochure is showing Corfu, Heraklion, Paphos, Rhodes and Zakynthos out of the proposed and confirmed new flights.

I haven't been able to get hold of the second edition First Choice brochure yet, and so am unsure as to their commitment.

Tui are sticking with DSA, and have not altered from their frist edition brochures.

As Corfu, Kos, a 2nd Heraklion, Rhodes, Zakynthos and Paphos are being offered or planned, I would expect the likes of Libra and Olympic to maybe come on side.

The airport is close to finalising the main plan for summer 2006, and these new destinations are set to be announced when the final deal with the tour operators and airlines has been reached.

It would seem the most logical thing to base the XL all week to cover the KGS on Sat, ZTH on Sun, CFU on MON and HER on tue. We will hopefully find out soon. It is looking like HUY will have around 35 weekly IT flights next year, which is a huge increase over this year. Apparently, the tour operators' HUY programme for summer 2005, and so far for summer 2006, has been one of the best selling in the country.

Regards

Mike

AndyHUY
28th Jul 2005, 17:58
Apparently, the tour operators' HUY programme for summer 2005, and so far for summer 2006, has been one of the best selling in the country.

That will be down to a lack of lo-co ops at HUY to contend with! HUY could become a haven for the traditional I.T companies so i expect these to expand dramaticaly over the next few years! I feel low cost is doubtful now though but at the end of the day some of the prices on offer for next year beat those at DSA!

7006 fan
28th Jul 2005, 19:00
Crikey Mike,

35 flights plus AMS and ABZ and fish makes 88 per week, 12 a day average. Can Humberside cope :O

Course it can!

It could handle double that, no sweat. (not sure about the handling agent though ;) )

niknak
28th Jul 2005, 22:55
As HUY continues to struggle against competition at DSA, (and despite the "good news" of the extra flights - they will suffer), customers will become more choosy about the flights they take alongside the value for money offered.

Because they have to lower airport fees to attract the trade, many of HUYs flights will be evening or even night flights, which means the first and last day of your holiday is spent travelling to the airport, and when you get to you destination, at least another hour on the coach to your chosen resort.

DSA can, and will, offer flights aimed at all levels of disposable income, and will always have the upper hand, they will (if not already) will be discounting car parking fees, purely because that side of things costs them virtually nothing to run.

I sincerely hope that the expansion at HUY continues, but I would seriously question if the income and subsequent profit is proportionate to growth.

P.S Any truth in the rumour that Eastern have been offered "preferential terms" to move head office and Ops to another east of england airport, "not too far away"?.:ooh:

AndyHUY
28th Jul 2005, 23:22
As HUY continues to struggle against competition at DSA, (and despite the "good news" of the extra flights - they will suffer), customers will become more choosy about the flights they take alongside the value for money offered.

Its blatently obvious that its not struggling though! I can tell you that people from the 'Humber' area would much prefer HUY than DSA! Flew from DSA last week, will use it again but will continue to use HUY if at all possible!

Because they have to lower airport fees to attract the trade, many of HUYs flights will be evening or even night flights, which means the first and last day of your holiday is spent travelling to the airport, and when you get to you destination, at least another hour on the coach to your chosen resort.

For now that may be the case but in a couple of years i think we wil see a change, like we di with many other services in the past!

DSA can, and will, offer flights aimed at all levels of disposable income, and will always have the upper hand, they will (if not already) will be discounting car parking fees, purely because that side of things costs them virtually nothing to run.

Why would i want to park at DSA when i can get a lift to HUY?

I sincerely hope that the expansion at HUY continues, but I would seriously question if the income and subsequent profit is proportionate to growth.

I believe that the new services announced by excel will not force the airport into expanding, like a lo-co would! At the end of the day HUY is in the red! Which is more than you can say for its ever expanding counterparts!

P.S Any truth in the rumour that Eastern have been offered "preferential terms" to move head office and Ops to another east of england airport, "not too far away"?.

Very much doubt it! The whole point in setting up at HUY is because its not that busy! This does not interupt at all with the maintenance of the fleet and therefore why move to an airport that is 'destined for big things'? Utter rubish if you ask me! Heard this one all before, just another doom mongers story! Get a life!

AndyHUY
29th Jul 2005, 00:43
I would bet money on the fact that Excel and HUY will be able to offer Sharm el Sheikh for Winter 2006/7.

A strong possability as rob goldsmith has hinted at this in recent news articles! Keep em coming!!!

7006 fan
29th Jul 2005, 05:58
I think I have now read everything!!!
ROFL@ NikNak. What utter drivel. I think you should concentrate more on the delays at DSA and the dreadful dangers that airport puts it's SLF through every day. 3 of the reported airprox incidents of the last 10 where at DSA! (and that is posted at CAA web-site and on the DSA alternative chat room) Stones and glass houses.

As to flight times/fees, again what tosh. By that statement DSA's Paris flight fits the bill, who wants to land in Paris at about midnight.. Have you never heard of slots at airports. Not HUY, but at the extremely busy holiday destinations. We would all love a 10am departure landing at 2pm, but the cost of slot at Costa Del Plonka would add £££ to the trip. Just look in the charges at the back of the holiday brochures to see the fees added by the tour ops. And look at business flights departing 6/7am from major airports. Check the fare compared to a 2pm departure!

As to the Eastern thing, is that the way DSA does business, stack it high sell it low. (not a reflection on Eastern, but the 'everything a pound' DSA business plan!)

Heard there is now a pay freeze at DSA?! HUY staff are getting bonuses, not the act of a failing business surely!

Why not rejoice in the fact that another business in the Yorkshire and Humber region is creating jobs for local people boosting the local economy and helping to increase the standard of living in the area.

holidaymax
29th Jul 2005, 08:29
Look everybody the good ol' 7006fan is back in business!

There are a lot of accusations you level at DSA but can you back them up with something other than "I heard"?

MrDearne
29th Jul 2005, 08:54
This DSA v HUY issue is better reading than Leeds United and Manchester United knocking lumps of each other on their respected boards.
I have said before that DSA will be the making or breaking of HUY, and it seems that it is going to be the making. Manchester, particularly next year, will lose a degree of custom to DSA, so consequently if passengers from this side of the Pennines chose to fly local then it's in the Manchester group's interest to promote HUY, rather than lose out totally to DSA.
I have no doubt that DSA will flourish big style, as I am sure in their heart of hearts most ardent HUY fan will agree. But so will HUY flourish. I am absolutely chuffed to bits that at last the tide is turning for HUY. I still reckon (although 7006fan might disagree) within two years HUY will get a Lo-Co, and all this Lo-Co knocking from some HUY supporters might come back to haunt them. What DSA has done, is to raise the commercial aviation profile of the area. Like it or lump it, in the grand scheme of aviation, HUY is just down the road to DSA. DSA is closer to HUY than it is to some parts of Sheffield, a city it represents.
Like someone has said, both DSA and HUY doing well is great news for the economy and job creation for the area. If this intense rivalry sends a kick up the arse to respected airport management and positively motivates them, then long may it continue. If nothing else, the 'buzz' is addictive.

AndyHUY
29th Jul 2005, 09:50
Well said Mr Dearne!

I still reckon (although 7006fan might disagree) within two years HUY will get a Lo-Co, and all this Lo-Co knocking from some HUY supporters might come back to haunt them.

Not sure about that any more though mate. I may have to go back on what ive said on previous posts and agree with the nay sayers, such operations probably arnt viable and i think the management at HUY knows this hence not taking the risk. Excel will offer seat only options, some cheaper than at DSA, albeit restricted to the holiday hotspots.

Do hope to see London and CDG services in the future though.

There are a lot of accusations you level at DSA but can you back them up with something other than "I heard"?

That was one accusation, the others are facts.

Flew DSA last week to Prague. Great going out albeit very expensive, ill take my own sarnies and a flask of coffee next time, but awful coming back in! Had to wait at least 30 mins (half of that time stood outside in the quite cold weather) just to be greeted by a very over zeleous immigrations officer! I hate to think what it will be like when it gets busier....

Having said that though i will be using it again, just as we got back i booked a flight to AMS for December!

holidaymax
29th Jul 2005, 10:16
What's this a HUY supporter shunning the KLM AMS service for the overpriced late night DSA service?

AndyHUY
29th Jul 2005, 10:32
What's this a HUY supporter shunning the KLM AMS service for the overpriced late night DSA service?

Who said the new AMS service was over priced and late at night? Get a grip mate! Just because i am a 'HUY supperter' does that mean i cant use DSA? Dont be pathetic mate!

I would not pay the price of a ticket that KLM charge rtn HUY to AMS! I use that service for long-haul and find it very useful.

holidaymax
29th Jul 2005, 10:43
I'm just simply refering to 7006fans description of DSA services.

P.S I'm not your mate :)

AndyHUY
29th Jul 2005, 10:50
He was simply refering to the CDG service! And the timing is inconveniant!

Sorry for using the generalised term 'mate' that people tend to use when they are trying to be friendly with someone whether they know them or not!

MrDearne
29th Jul 2005, 13:25

Horses for courses as they say. I'd sooner use DSA but I'll have no hesitation using HUY if I could get better value. I can get people to take me and the family to DSA or HUY so car parking etc isn't an issue. Anywhere else and your talking of a hundred quid plus just for airport parking or taxis.

Flew DSA last week to Prague. Great going out albeit very expensive, ill take my own sarnies and a flask of coffee next time, but awful coming back in! Had to wait at least 30 mins (half of that time stood outside in the quite cold weather) just to be greeted by a very over zeleous immigrations officer! I hate to think what it will be like when it gets busier....

It's not local cafe prices but most airports are expensive, just like your ferries.
Regards to the immigration. I think that is par for the course as Doncaster goes. Doncaster is a transport interchange hub and armed police are not unusual in the town and rail station of late. I appreciate it's a separate issue to immigration, but I dare say immigration officers have been warned to be more vigilant. If this climate continues it'll get worse next year with more flights and long haul.

7006 fan
29th Jul 2005, 18:24
Sorry folks, but Holidaymax has asked for this....

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=14&pagetype=65&applicationid=7&mode=detail&nid=1092

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=14&pagetype=65&applicationid=7&mode=detail&nid=1090

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=152816&command=displayContent&sourceNode=152546&contentPK=12920899

Or maybe the ScunnyT and CAA are rumour-mongers as well? Of course what is failed to be mentioned in the report is that the control is at Liverpool.!!! Just what you need for final approach.

As to the wage freeze, I am going on hearsay, based on someone who knows someone at DSA.

Mr Dearne,
I have no problem with a couple of lo-co routes at HUY, but I would have thought they (HUY) would not want to put 'all their eggs in one basket', to me that is a very risky strategy and possibly jepordise the existing charter market the airport has (something DSA did not have when it commenced service). Call it old fashioned but I believe in their eyes diluting risk and getting a more secure but maybe lower return is better, than rapid expansion at great risk. By adopting the policy MAG/HUY they have made very good figures for 2004/5. What would have happened at HUY if they taken EU Jet big time? They would have likely invested millions to service the non-existent 500,000 pax promised by EU Jet, which I gather had only carried 70,000 when the receivers were called in. Sorry but I agree with the steady growth plan at HUY.
Blow up a balloon too quickly and it explodes in your face!

I am happy to see both airports more than flourish if they help to stop the 5 hour grind down to LGW/LHR.

MrDearne
29th Jul 2005, 20:09
As to the wage freeze, I am going on hearsay, based on someone who knows someone at DSA

There is no wage freeze at DSA, not as far as I am aware, but you never know. Peel, in fact, are still recruiting for next year. The success thus far (pax figures) at DSA has taken everyone by surprise.
Peel Airports, however, need to find half a million pounds to pay Sheffield City Council for the closure of Sheffield City Airport. Maybe this was ininitially budgeted for DSA? I think the money is going to be used by Sheffield City Council to improve access to DSA, so it's just basically being recycled.
There is a great deal of money being pumped into the airport and business park. Peel's investment has been more than matched by way of funding and grants etc. Then of course you have private sector funding from companies/businesses etc who are moving onto the business park, so I don't think there are money problems.
It's all great stuff for the area, and I have no doubt at all you'll see the same in the not too distant future at HUY. I think it's getting pretty clear which way HUY is heading now, and it's not down.

With both airports on the up, the area has not had it so good with regards to choice. Seems like great times ahead, and I for one can't wait for next summer. Every new destination from DSA or HUY is fantastic, and we want MORE.

holidaymax
29th Jul 2005, 20:42
Sorry folks, but Holidaymax has asked for this....

7006fan I know about the airprox's, the problem I have is when you throw around your baseless rumours like the wages one. Like I said in the first post all you seem to come out with is "I heard" comments.

Low and behold if a non-HUY supporter levelled some of these types of comments at you then most likely you would spit your dummy out!

lakeside84
29th Jul 2005, 23:01
Is it worth mentioning again that HUY carries only half a million pax annually, and DSA carries 1.3 million?!

The XL deal creates 60,000 pax, so it says. In just 2 months, DSA welcomed 100,000 pax! Theres a press release on its website. Kind of puts things into perspective doesnt it.

HUY is shouting about the XL deal worth 60,000 pax. No where do you see the words ADDITIONAL PAX. No where do you see HUY shouting about how many pax it estimates to carry annually. Hmmm, do I smell consolidation there?!

DSA wins any day of the week. It just offers more.

DSA has a shiny new terminal, motivated staff (from what I have seen), it has bars and shops (with more to come post Summer), it has regular and fairly comprehensive bus services, and what can be called a REAL link to a PROPER railway station.

In my opinion, HUY has an ugly terminal, minging leftover from EMA seats and a horrid yellow smokers corner, it has a mini bar airside, that sells homemade sandwiches, it has a tiny alpha store, and, that's it! oh, and I forgot to mention, horrid 'i wish i worked at dsa' staff - and an MD that thinks if he keeps saying 'things will only get better' then they will. No transport links (apart from that stagecoach thing that not many people go on), and the joke they call a rail link - huh! This is all my opinion.

Reality check alert for all the HUY fans... Mr Goldsmith has been saying "we dearly hope to obtain a service to XXX etc etc" for the last 5 years!!! Never ever ever has he got what he wished for. The XL deal is coincidental consolidation, plus 3 new routes. WOW. Hardly a deal, just a different airline to the likes of Iberworld and Onur! Sharm el Sheikh is a growing destination, and yes, next year or the year after, HUY will probably get a SSH route, but it's too little too late! Airlines and tour ops will be flying to other in vogue destinations then, and HUY will still be left panting like an abandoned dog, begging for more.

DSA is striking deals all the time... the airlines and tour ops see the DSA catchment, the DSA terminal, and the DSA teams all complimentary to what they aim to offer. Its all about pax retention these days. And I'm not being funny, but why fly from the shed that is HUY when you can fly from DSA?!

Peel is dynamic, not controlled by councillors in suits. Peel never loose at anything - look at Liverpool John Lennon, Durham Tees Valley, Trafford Centre... they even own Manchester Ship Canal for gods sake!

Long may DSA's reign as Yorkshire's premier Airport continue.

HERE'S SOME COPY FROM LAST NIGHTS DONCASTER STAR NEWSPAPER, I include it in this post on this thread as it refers to HUY and might help us start a debate over what you HUY supporters really think is the future for your waste of space airport.

AIMING TO BE TOP AIRPORT
ROBIN Hood Airport bosses say it is on course to become Yorkshire's biggest airport by 2008.

The predictions are based on the first three months figures which have seen the airport handling 250,000 passengers within its first 12 weeks.
Since the Finningley airport opened three months ago today, an average of 3,000 people have used it every day. A further 300,000 have booked seats on operator Thomsonfly's services over the next nine months.
Managing director David Ryall said that based on current levels of growth, Robin Hood will beat Humberside Airport's annual figure of 500,000 travellers within the next six to nine months.
And in three to four years he expects passenger numbers at Finningley will be higher than Leeds Bradford, used by 2.3 million people a year.
Mr Ryall said: "We're in line for a million passengers within our first year, which is a very good start and indicates our significance in the region."
He added that within two years, he was "very hopeful" a major 'flag carrier' airline such as British Airways could be flying from Finningley.
The airport also remains keen to set up long-haul flights to the Middle East and Asia, and discussions are taking place with airlines.
Mr Ryall said the success of Robin Hood was down to its central location within the UK and proximity to major cities such as Sheffield, Leeds and Nottingham, along with the amount of flights available.
The airport currently offers scheduled flights to 11 European destinations with budget airlines Thomsonfly and Ryanair.
Further journeys are being launched in the coming months to places like Amsterdam, Alpine ski resorts and the Egyptian coast, while charter flights to the US and Caribbean are set to take off next year.
Mr Ryall said: "That's an unprecedented range for an airport which has just started-up."
Robin Hood's success dispels fears initial poor performance by Thomsonfly, which has included emergency landings and major delays of up to 13 hours, could harm passenger confidence in the airport.
The airline blamed the problems on "teething troubles" at Finningley, and bad luck. It says procedures have since been improved and a spare aircraft delivered to cover for breakdowns.
As a result, last week 84 per cent of the company's flights from Robin Hood Airport took off within 15 minutes of the advertised departure time. Mr Ryall said:"From the number of people passing through the departure gates, it would be false to say there has been a loss of confidence. At all airports there are sometimes delays.
"Robin Hood Airport is new and there was so much excitement when we opened, there is more disappointment if things go wrong.
"While we've had complaints, we've also had an enormous number of letters telling us what a fantastic airport Robin Hood is."
He added: "The operators are working hard to minimise delays and give customers confidence."

7006 fan
30th Jul 2005, 06:16
Love Holidaymax's response to the airproxes! (shrug) So what!!! [I assume this, as his problem is about the suggestion of a pay freeze -a far more henious crime!]
1/3 of all the latest airproxes are DSA, shout it from the rooftops guys, the pax will be over the moon about it.

Robin Hood's success dispels fears initial poor performance by Thomsonfly, which has included emergency landings and major delays of up to 13 hours, could harm passenger confidence in the airport.

(but don't mention the airprox, coz then Mr Ryall will have to eat his own foot. Did he not say, sometime back, there were no air safety issues at DSA, when quizzed about lack of radar and uncontrolled airspace?) -I am sure it is all under contol but 1,000feet distance at 300mph, just do the math!
Wait for the denials, so I will have to then go and trawl the web archive to attach the links.
FYI
There are 2 new Excel routes, that is where the 60,000 pax are coming from. Oh and there will be a few thousand for Tunisia as well and more to come no doubt in '06.

Maybe someone can answer me this. HUY gets a little bit of good news and before you know it people are slagging it off as if it is actually a failure (but is that not typical of the great British Chav attitude -just coz someone gets something right, and THEY have not done it -it must be crap!!)

AndyHUY
30th Jul 2005, 10:51
Is it worth mentioning again that HUY carries only half a million pax annually, and DSA carries 1.3 million?!

And you really think thet bothers the also big MAN group? HUY is profitable, it is a small regional airport with modest expansion! If, as most of you DSA people say, DSA is a major regional airport then there can be no comparison can there? Compare it to NEMA NOT HUY! People will continue to use HUY, like it or not it is here to stay despite what goes on down the road!

DSA has a shiny new terminal, motivated staff (from what I have seen), it has bars and shops (with more to come post Summer), it has regular and fairly comprehensive bus services, and what can be called a REAL link to a PROPER railway station.

Partly true but having flown from DSA last week what you say about motivated staff is not true!

In my opinion, HUY has an ugly terminal, minging leftover from EMA seats and a horrid yellow smokers corner, it has a mini bar airside, that sells homemade sandwiches, it has a tiny alpha store, and, that's it! oh, and I forgot to mention, horrid 'i wish i worked at dsa' staff - and an MD that thinks if he keeps saying 'things will only get better' then they will. No transport links (apart from that stagecoach thing that not many people go on), and the joke they call a rail link - huh! This is all my opinion.

But we love it.......
You are not the voice of everyone, many people local to HUY love it! The staff on my experiences are very proffesional!

He added that within two years, he was "very hopeful" a major 'flag carrier' airline such as British Airways could be flying from Finningley.

And then he woke up.....

Why would the likes of BA even take the risk of operating from DSA? If you remember they pulled most of their regional services and palmed them off to Eastern!

Why can you believe the crap Mr Ryall is feeding you but were not to believe, in your opinion, what Mr Goldsmith tells us?

Get a grip

DC10FAN
30th Jul 2005, 10:58
I've read all these posts and live @30 miles from both DSA and HUY so would use either airport. I don't understand the amount of sniping going on between supporters of each airport. IMO each has it's own pros/cons and I think each will grow in the future. But we have to be realistic here; HUY will probably get another scheduled service in the next 2-3 years; my money would be AF to Paris. I doubt that a loco will open a base here; Flybe seemed only the likely one and the rumours seem to have died away. Any loco service will be wih a non-based a/c ie. Monarch from/to Malaga? The Excel news offers a big advantage with a based a/c as (I'm suprised no-onelse has mentioned) you get much longer at your holiday destination when using a a/c based at the UK departure airport.
Regards DSA, I hope it grows to offer a balanced range of services i.e Some long haul scheduled flights. But any idea of BA launching services is dreaming; just look at MAN. (BA seem happy to feed most passengers on the shuttle to LHR for medium/long haul and BACX offer limited choice on small a/c).
These are my predictions for new DSA services over next 2 years:

CO to EWR (or AA to JFK)
EK to DXB
A German loco and an East European one.
Flybe base

AndyHUY
30th Jul 2005, 11:18
Well said DC10

I think as much as we would like a lo-co at HUY it is very unlikely to happen BUT definately a couple more scheduled routes are likely to crop up in the future!

If Excel up their frequency on the main ALC PMI and AGP routes then i dont think we would need a lo-co anyway IMO.

Good news from both airports should be seen only as great for the region! There is no need to slate each other as has been said and people need not be bitter! Lakeside 84 and Holidaymax, listen to what we have to say and dont try and knock HUY down at every oppertunity!

Passenger Origination Total %
Hull / East Yorkshire 180,969 36
Grimsby / Cleethorpes 125,673 25
Scunthorpe / North Lincs 90,484 18
South Yorkshire 25,135 5
Lincolnshire 55,296 11
West Yorkshire 15,081 3
North Yorkshire 10,053 2

Found this on a website for airport advertisement opertunities! May be of interest to some! IMO they realy need to concentrate on the Hull area and Lincs!

holidaymax
30th Jul 2005, 12:14
listen to what we have to say and dont try and knock HUY down at every oppertunity!

Wise words.......but put the shoe on the other foot and don't knock DSA at every oppertunity!

AndyHUY
30th Jul 2005, 13:20
You will find that most of us 'HUY supporters' are very accomodating when it comes to DSA. When have i knocked DSA?

You must understand that as soon as some good news comes out at HUY (Ok so it may not be as big as whats happening at DSA) we will shout about it! I would just the same if, say, CO come in to DSA and start up a Newark route! That would be great! And i suspect most of us on here would be quite chuffed too!

Please dont forget though that this is a Humberside happenings page NOT a DSA happenings page, we will be talking about the goings on at HUY and to some people your coming on here ranting and raving about how rubbish (in your possibly biased opinion) it may be and yes poeple do get annoyed!

I would be greatful if you could be more supportive of us on here, afterall as ive said we do support DSA and i know that HUY has a hell of a tough job than DSA ever will in supporting the region it serves!

Rant over

Keep posting

MrDearne
30th Jul 2005, 14:48
There is no need to slate each other as has been said and people need not be bitter! Lakeside 84 and Holidaymax, listen to what we have to say and dont try and knock HUY down at every oppertunity!

I beg to differ. It's all to do with local rivalry and pride and this is healthy. Your loyalty to HUY must have increased no end since DSA and DSA supporters have come on this board. A psychologist will have a field day studying this board with the range of emotions. Mr 7006fan has more than held his own. Airport staff do read these boards, and I am sure they are aware of the intense passion and loyalty.
As long as the baiting and sniping doesn't result in personal attacks or insults then I say carry on...we all love a good debate. and I bet you guys can't wait to view the boards to see who said what and why to your message etc.

At the end of the day just look at the choices available to us all from next year in the area.
But let's all agree to keep this board at the top.

holidaymax
30th Jul 2005, 15:05
When have i knocked DSA?

Well you've knocked.....

Immigration
The airport manager
The airport staff
BA coming in

7006 fan
30th Jul 2005, 15:36
No Frills: The Truth Behind the Low Cost Revolution in the Skies
Freddie Sir Laker (Foreword), Simon Calder

Price: £16.99

Well worth the read!

onion
30th Jul 2005, 16:48
Lakeside84 since when has DSA carried 1.3 million people?
Don't say things that aren't true.
Also Peel hasn't really achieved anything at MME yet and don't seem to be bothered with the place, they haven't finished playing with the new toy yet (DSA). Also ask the Liverpool controllers about the radar situation at DSA and you'll find out that Peel are being short sighted.
One final thing Leeds is Yorkshires premier airport. Making a statement like that on a HUY board is a bit strange you should of made it on a LBA board.

AndyHUY
30th Jul 2005, 17:12
Well said onion!

Well you've knocked.....

Immigration
The airport manager
The airport staff
BA coming in.....

What i said about immigration and the airport staff was to tell of an experience as a paying customer and how it should be sorted out.

Lakeside suggested that you cant believe a word MR Goldsmith says, i was making a poin that every MD will always twist the truth including your very own M Ryall

BA wont come in! That is not knocking DSA either that is nothing to do with how good or bad DSA is that is down to the fact that BA pulled out of most regional short-haul routes due to competition from the lo-cos!!

I cant understand for the life of me why you have to go and spread doom over this thread like your suggeating bitterness and ill will everytime some good news comes out!

DSA will always be ahead of HUY now BUT HUY is striving to claw back the many pax that have, for many years, left this area to go to LBA, NEMA and MAN for their flights. HUY has always faced stiff competition! Why should it be doomed? Or are you lot from DSA scared of competition from HUY?

7006 fan
30th Jul 2005, 19:16
OK, let's look at this.
DSA has a big runway, therefore will be able to offer transatlantic without a fuel stop, HUY cannot offer this.
DSA has established itself as a lo-co airport, HUY offers 95% charter, a 'Flag Carrier' Scheduled and Eastern to ABZ.
DSA is likely to have given landings etc away, HUY from my understanding charges full whack. Two different business thoughts here. 5-1 or 1-5 sales (5 seats for a pound or a seat for 5 pounds). Not slagging off, just making economic assumptions about lo-co methodology in airport terms.
Maybe DSA will become the equivalent of MAN and the other Peel airports will be like HUY.

STN is a classic example of lo-co. A nothing airport, then Go enters the frame and STN gets busy, now LGW & LHR landing fees etc are being cranked up to subsidise STN, coz STN are not in a position to do it. To do so would mean the lo-co's would go away however a cross subsidy would keep the price down and boy has that upset the major carriers!!!Not sure what the profit profile of LPL is (ignoring their Business Park, which is Peel Developments not Peel Airports), but I gather the deal with Easy is an LTR for profit. But LPL also has Objective 1

MME, how many pax? 750,000 and a lot of that is lo-co. Dunno how much Peel have invested there but MME is growing at the pace one would expect, slow and steady, similar to HUY (if there was buckets of EU money at MME things might be different, who knows?)

Other strange comments recently have been about the coach service at HUY. If people have a problem with that take it up with the Gloag's (Stagecoach, one of the biggest coach firms in the UK). Trains, last time I looked DSA did not have a rail station. Small halt at Finningley, but the big station is about 20 minutes away. DSA rail station (Very unlikely, given present Government policy [check with the rail authority if you doubt])
HUY has the regular Trans-Pennine Express at Barnetby, some 5 minutes by taxi. (East-West mainline, it is not the rail operator's fault that someone put the Pennines in the way, or that the rail link carries all the industrial stuff from the ports, this also slows the service)
Road access to DSA.
Minor roads, off the M18 into Doncaster, wiggle out of Doncaster, twist turn, then do a right.(but of course they will have a link from the M18 [in about 10 years! -check this with the Highways Agency])
Road access to HUY
Off M180 onto A18, 5 minutes, park up.
trying, as best as possible to keep to the facts here.

One thing that people miss in the DSA/HUY arguement is PROFIT. DSA is unlikely to profit for some time, as an airport, as the business plan is no doubt similar to LPL, relying on the adjacent hectares of Business Park and development loans available, to support the Airport.
Someone mentioned£500,000 for Peel to pay out to Sheffield on the old airport. The development opportunites are worth millions. What are Peel...Developers!
DSA and HUY are two different markets, I suggest all the DSA protaganists that take pleasure in slagging HUY, try the same trick on the MAN thread coz that is your target market surely...transatlantic, Asia, Oz South Africa... not a few poxy destinations to southern Spain et al?
Watch out for the real competition,
"it's behind you!!!"

airhumberside
30th Jul 2005, 19:44
Small halt at Finningley
There isnt

DSA rail station (Very unlikely, given present Government policy [check with the rail authority if you doubt])
Have to agree, definetly not the airports fault. Also if the present level of service on the Lincoln line is maintained there would be virtually no point of a station. The service is pathetic.

One optimistic view is in Rail Express Magazine. They say any station may be built with a turnback facility do a shuttle service to Doncaster could operate (sensible idea so wont happen). In the long term they talk of diverting existing trains, including GNER ones to any airport station. Cant see this working, particularly as only about one GNER service starts/terminates at Doncaster.

This highlights the problem with giving the airport a decent rail service. Most trains at Doncaster are through services so cant easily be diverted. Main exception is the Leeds shuttles but that would require electrification to the airport

adjacent hectares of Business Park
When will HUY's be developed further?

7006 fan
31st Jul 2005, 08:42
A-H.
There is now a big yellow sign on the Business Park frontage advertising build opportunities. Sometime ago the ScunnyT ran an article indicating N Lincs Council were developing the site, but the board has the Manchester's developer on it. (MADL)
maybe things are about to happen...and about time too.

Regards the station at Finningley, you are right (made the mistake of mixing up a railway crossing with a station on the map!!) :O

AndyHUY
31st Jul 2005, 11:41
Things have seemed to be moving realy slow on the business park side of things! There was always tlk of a hotel and petrol station but has still not happened! The only business i remember going on site is the one next to the A18!

Do you think HUY will ever build a new terminal? I think it needs one, although the current one can handle up to 1.5 mall p/a and the apron 3 mill (Not sure what type of a/c they are basing that on though 737?)

Maybe it will never reach 1.5 mill but a more comfortable and spacious terminal would be nice!

Wont happen until an airline makes a big investment in HUY though i suppose!

holidaymax
31st Jul 2005, 12:12
I cant understand for the life of me why you have to go and spread doom over this thread like your suggeating bitterness and ill will everytime some good news comes out!

I think you'll find if you read back that as always everything kicked off after 7006fan had a go at DSA.

Don't throw your toys out of the pram just yet :)

AndyHUY
31st Jul 2005, 12:19
:* He started it:*

Excel flights where advertised in the Hull Daily Mail last night!

Think they should do some lo-co style advertising on the billboards!

7006 fan
31st Jul 2005, 14:01
Holidaymax.
Before casting aspertions please ensure your statements are correct. My response was to the NikNak statement.
Copy below.
posted 28th July 2005 22:55
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S Any truth in the rumour that Eastern have been offered "preferential terms" to move head office and Ops to another east of england airport, "not too far away"?.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also some verbage from Lakeside84, note especially the last 5 words. (is it any wonder!)

HERE'S SOME COPY FROM LAST NIGHTS DONCASTER STAR NEWSPAPER, I include it in this post on this thread as it refers to HUY and might help us start a debate over what you HUY supporters really think is the future for your waste of space airport.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned earlier, the DSA commentators need to turn thier guns on their real competition, MAN and EMA. Can't wait to see the same comments pertaining to HUY being thrown by DSA at MAN and EMA!
MAN for the flag carrier routes and EMA for all that freight.

terrywilcox
31st Jul 2005, 14:22
Got to agree with holidaymax. There was no animosity until 7006fan started his slagging. None of the other humberside fans have used such vitriolic language (and I am talking about DSA board as well). We at DSA have no animosity towards HUY,although we were more than annoyed at ther antics of MAG,in trying to stop the development of DSA.

I think that is behind us now,and we should drop the vitriol,most of which is simply retaliation due to 7006fan.

holidaymax
31st Jul 2005, 14:26
Quite simply if 7006fan didn't slag off DSA you wouldn't see me post on a HUY thred!

airhumberside
31st Jul 2005, 15:54
we should drop the vitriol
Yes, its doing no one any good