PDA

View Full Version : ATC Dilemma!! Any Suggestions Welcome!

Brycie
18th Apr 2001, 18:06
As those of you in chat will probably already know I have been through the selection process for NATS ATC in the UK. I am still waiting to hear the final result - this is day 8 - two more days to go but I have a burning dilemma.

I am still at Uni in Glasgow, Scotland. I probably won't get any further which will solve my dilemma right off. But if I do I don't know whether to accept or not. I don't know if I should decline and finish my degree or if I should accept and forget uni.

I really want to do ATC but I also want a degree as well and don't know "Should I stay or should I go now" (sorry song lyrics get me every time). I'm not looking for a definitive answer on here just viewpoints of different ATCOs or PPRUNE'rs on which course of action could be seen as best.

And cheers to anyonewho responds!

Brycie..

Dan Dare
18th Apr 2001, 19:14
STAY, STAY, STAY!!!

NATS won't mind you completing your degree. They may even encourage it! Once you have your degree you have those (expensive) few letters behind your name whenever you need them. If you don't finish uni you will have nothing but the memories.

NATS's track record with ATCO trainig is truly appauling. They still only manage to get about 50% pass rates at the college. If you graduate from their college you still have a good likelyhood of being chopped at your first unit (although they do sometimes post you elsewhere for a second go). So a relatively small proportion of those selected will actually go on to have a career in NATS. Those who don't would be quite grateful for a few letters behind their names...

EarlyGo
18th Apr 2001, 20:31
If you're in your final year it won't matter, since even if you get an offer now you won't start until July at the earliest. Once NATS make you an offer, its conditional on passing your Class 1 medical at Gatwick and obtaining security clearance, and unless you're from west Belfast, surname Adams, that shouldnt be a problem. But it all takes time. As Dan Dare pointed out, the attrition rate's quite high so if I was you I'd make sure you graduate. And rememember, even if you don't get an offer this time you can apply again - many valid ATCOs didnt get through the recruitment process first time. Good luck,

EG.

Intel
18th Apr 2001, 22:28
I know of people at the college that have defered entry into NATS for a couple of years.

I would finish the degree and then go to the college. It leaves more options open.

Loki
18th Apr 2001, 23:33
STAY

Finish the degree (especially if it`s at all technical)

You will have something to fall back on should you not get through the ATC course....the failure rate being somewhat on the high side at the moment.

AyrTC
19th Apr 2001, 00:05
Brycie
Let me tell you a story.
A great number of years ago I was studying Computer Science at Strathclyde.I had been desperate to become an ATCO however CAA(as it was in those days) were not recruiting.

Halfway through second year CAA started to look for ATC cadet's again.I reached the final interview stage(three very Civil Servant types asking me all sorts of questions (you have it easy these days :)).

One of the questions was "Well Mr -- I see you are doing a degree in CompSci I think you should complete your degree and then join the Authority".
I replied that although there was a future of computers in ATC I was not to certain if there would be any vaccancies when I would finish my degree could you guarantee me an ATC job in two years time?
"Oh I think we could come to some arrangement" said the CAA chap".

"That's good "I replied"However I cannot guarantee you a degree so can I have the job now please!"
No regrets got the job and I do not feel I lost out to any of my peer group who stayed on at Uni.
I will also stay as an ATCO until I get it right.

The final choice has of course got to be yours.

Riddle:
For any of you sad b*st*rds who have not got a life here is a little quiz for you.

Halfway through the aforementioned interview I was asked a question which I could not work out the answer for.All through the remainder of the board I was trying to work out the answer in my head.
When the board was over and I was leaving the room I turned round to the panel and said" 15 degree's" WHAT WAS THE QUESTION?

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

5milesbaby
19th Apr 2001, 00:12
Brycie, if its your last year then you have no problems. If its not your last year then its decision time. I had this exact problem myself, and when I was offered the job, I asked if I could do my last year, defering entry into NATS by about 9 months, and they said if I did that I would have to re-apply, as the job offer only lasts I think 6 months. They also said that by re-applying, I had no guarantee's that because I had done it once, it would be the same next time. Speak to me in chat again if you want to know more

5baby

information_alpha
19th Apr 2001, 01:34
b: re all the above reply's they all have a point. However, the 50% chop rate is worst case senario, i left the college a year ago and am still in touch with people there - it can get to 50% but that is first time fails, you get another chance (known as your joker) and most people get through second time.

Re the deferment, there was a bloke on my course who got through the interviews but wanted to travel for a year - they said that would be fine and to call them when he got back. He did not need to reapply.

re the time taken to hear about the second interview - they forgot to tell me! if you don't hear in the 10 working days, phone them, recruitment are notoriously disorganised!

the college are upping their intake to 50 students a course from July and there is some debate how they are going to get enough students so i don't think there would be a problem with you deferring but i would call them and discuss it, then you will know exactly what the situation is and not hear all our opinions!

good luck!

NudgingSteel
19th Apr 2001, 18:55
Brycie - certainly no harm in doing the degree and getting that under your belt. It's handy in the worst case scenario, ie you don't get through the training. However, several folks on my course left Uni during the first term after getting the ATC offer, and although they don't have the degree, they are fully validated ATCOs earning good cash and enjoying life hugely! Good luck whatever you decide.

AyrTC - I've got no life so I'll have a go...was the question something to do with the room temperature (and you looking at the thermostat on the way out)?

get'em to heaven & back
19th Apr 2001, 21:18
Get the degree, if only for personal pride and a soild fall-back position. It's worthless (practically) if an ATC career goes to plan. But also, if you can, defer for a year & p!ss off round the world, safe in the knowledge that you have a job to come home to- and, arguably, a better one than any degree would entitle you to. It'll be your last chance to do it so grab it while you can!

AyrTC
19th Apr 2001, 21:23
N Steel

Good answer but wrong. :)

AyrTC

granny smith
19th Apr 2001, 22:04
Brycie

Agree with the above who say get the degree first (I did) - but also speak to NATS Recruitment Services at OKS about a deferment. Course sizes are increasing in line with the number of ATCOs required.

Don't believe the b****ks about the chop rate being 50% at CATC our training is still amongst the best there is. I am at a loss why there has been so much CATC-bashing in posts of late. This is an aptitude based job so in simple terms - if you're good enough, you'll pass; if not bye bye. That's when having the degree will come in handy. If you're successful as an ATCO you'll never use it again - look on it as an insurance policy.

Enjoy your degree.

cheers

Granny