PDA

View Full Version : Aussie ATC

Charlie Luncher
18th Apr 2001, 17:56
This is a bit of a strange request.

Im soon to be moving to OZ and the other half is coming with me.

She is an NATS ATSA Grade 4 and would like to continue working within the ATC world once we get over there.
Does anyone have any helpful advice or contacts within Oz that may assist with a transfer of sorts.

Oh and no jokes about standing on your head.
Charlie sends

[This message has been edited by Charlie Luncher (edited 18 April 2001).]

DownUnder111
18th Apr 2001, 21:34
Good time to come to OZ cos due to voluntary redundancy etc. SHOCK HORROR Air Services Australia has found itself desperately short of ATC's. ASA are not great to work for but forgetting that they are desperate. They are testing people off the street right now to train as ATC's. As far as who to contact,I'm not exactly sure, there is an ASA internet site(don't know the adress,try not to go there if I can help it). But a search for Air Services Australia at Yahoo.com.au should turn up something. Hope I've been some help. cheers...

DownUnder111
18th Apr 2001, 21:39
OK it's www.airservices.gov.au (http://www.airservices.gov.au) Good Luck.

Charlie Luncher
19th Apr 2001, 08:27
DU 111

Thank you for you time

Charlie sends

375ml
19th Apr 2001, 12:25
Tip: if you are going to Brisbane, don't rock up to the front door and ask for a contract ATC position.

ferris
19th Apr 2001, 13:48
Just a word of warning, listen to the bitching about ASA, its true. Secondly, they don't have ATCAs any more (stripless). Thirdly you can only be sent to either Melbourne or Brisbane enroute, or country towers. Depends also whether you are coming to RAAF? RAAF is DESPERATE for controllers, if she is interested.

DownUnder111
19th Apr 2001, 18:21
Yes no contract ATC's are welcome(we have enough problems without that). But Ferris there are ATCA's by another name ie. TFDC's who help with flight plans, QNH distribution etc. Even though if ASA management got their way they would not be there, we couldn't do without them, as they give us someone to turn to, to do the dirty jobs when the SH*T hits the fan, which as we know from the amount of TAAATS failures happens on a regular basis.

ferris
20th Apr 2001, 00:16
Very, very true. But ASA screws the few TFDC's there are worse than they do the controllers. Couldn't in good conscience recommend it. The jobs are as scarce as hens teeth anyway, aren't they?

Lurk R
20th Apr 2001, 09:24
Is the following still current?

http://www.selectnet.au.com/default.html

PMS
20th Apr 2001, 15:52
Charlie Luncher,
I have to second the other comments re ASA. my suggestion would be to try to find another line of work. After having worked for a few ATC employers in the past I can tell you that ASA are at the botton of the barrel along with SErco, NATS, Navcanada to mention a few.
Australia is a great place to start afresh, you both will not regret it, trust me.
for all those in the know Airservices should be left to bleed. The incompetence of the management is unbelievable and they have only themselves to blame for their continued faux pas, not the controllers as they use as their scapegoat. Interesting to see what happens when they go on strike in July. I think that they should have a major shakeout of upper 3 levels of management and a major government audit of the whole outfit.

DownUnder111
20th Apr 2001, 15:59
PMS I have to agree, the place has gone from a great place to work 5 years ago where the provision of a service was the only priority to being now, a place where profit is the only priority. A real shame and whilst hoping it doesn't come to a strike(from ASA's first joke of a Certified Agreement proposal ie. In effect make us work an extra 20 days a year for no extra pay. strike looks the only option), I hope sanity prevails and we get back to doing what we are there to do, that is provide a service. That would mean that the LAMP proposal gets thrown on the bonfire along with alot of managers contracts and the Certified Agreement Proposal.