PDA

View Full Version : Air ground or AFIS?

Arrestahook
9th Dec 2004, 19:30
Reading through a copy of CAP 682 (A necessary evil I'm afraid) I came across a sentence I didn't understand and wondered if any of you chaps could help.
' The minimum requirements for ones airfield, in order to gain approval to carry out blah blah blah course of pilot training is...

A licenced airfield and an air ground advisory and information service. Does this mean that an air ground station ie 'Radio' is acceptable or would it require uprating to AFIS, 'information'. Any advice gratefully received. Another beautifully worded bit of CAA literature, yawn.

Squadgy
9th Dec 2004, 20:23
Not able to download CAP682 to have a proper read. However AFAIU :

Flying training for standard fixed wing (e.g. not microlight), has to be conducted at a licenced airfield. There needs to be someone observing the manouvering area and runways.

Fixed wing flying training can happen at any licenced airfield, whether it be A/G, FIS or full ATC

In fact I'm not aware that even an A/G service has to be available - e.g. some airfields, such as Sleap, have an A/G frequency assigned but carry out training when it isn't manned. The requirement to have someone observing could, I guess, be undertaken by the fire crew.