PDA

View Full Version : Young Controllers

10W
12th Apr 2001, 19:31
With acknowledgement to the poor NATS member incarcerated in DAP, CAA, who provided this. Keep digging the tunnel mate !!

THE YOUNG CONTROLLER NEWLY RECRUITED (WEEK 1)

The young controller starts a career by arriving early, wearing a suit or sports jacket, with collar, tie and brightly polished shoes. They call management 'Sir' and assume that anyone who has grey hair (or is balding) is a lot older than they are. They assume that all their older colleagues are physically fit, sober, and reliable. They have unquestioned faith in their judgement. They also have great respect for their Watch Supervisor and think that attending management staff briefings are a good way to keep abreast of what is going to happen, and thus assured, remain respectfully aloof from the rabid criticism and cynicism which pervades such meetings or is found in the discussions in the canteen.

They consider that the money is good and cannot understand why the older higher paid staff always complain about being short of cash. They have no thoughts about pensions and have a naïve point of view on how the payment of proper salaries is maintained in the modern world.

They are enthusiastic, keen to learn and reluctant to go sick. They regard the 'leave book' as a curiosity and would not dream of arranging any leisure activities to coincide with working hours. They do not possess a sleeping bag.

THE YOUNG CONTROLLER (WEEK 136)

The recently young controller has now given up arriving early and dresses in a casual manner similar to their mentor (albeit without the strained threads and bulging buttons or zips who protest loudly). They have learned that to keep traffic moving and separated, they frequently have to ignore the Watch Supervisor who they now call 'the old fart behind the desk'. Their optimistic views on progress, as promulgated by Senior Management, have been undermined as they are obliged to use a tatty old grey plastic headset that has someone else's name indelibly written on the top.

The burden of paying for accommodation, booze and a car makes them permanently short of money and now they are always badgering their Trade Union representatives to pull out their fingers and get them some more. Their usual arrangement for booking annual leave is sneak up behind the Watch Supervisors desk and write their name in 'the book' when the Supervisors attention has been safely distracted elsewhere.

Before going on Watch, they utter a prayer that there will be no more changes to airspace or procedures. They hope that nothing has happened (sickness, suspensions, etc) that will cancel their 'early go' because they have already made social arrangements. They are desperate for a 'long sleep'.

Anyone brave enough to write about the Senior Controller (Week 1040). That's me ;)

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

niteflite01
12th Apr 2001, 21:17
Hahahahahahahaha :)

Never a true word.....

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

callyoushortly
13th Apr 2001, 04:25
THE SENIOR CONTROLLER (WEEK 1040)

The senior controller arrives 10 minutes after everyone else, knowing that the young ones will be there already. He's dressed, just about, and no longer wears shoes with laces, that'd mean bending over..... ooh the headrush!!!

Now sporting a state of the art, lightweight headset, so it doesn't rub on his jam-jar glasses, he decides today may be the day to plug in and do a little, if only to keep the licences current, quickly finding that it's all above him and he needs to retreat to the restroom asap, where the young controller will have his coffee waiting, no doubt....

Management?? Surely I am management by now....isn't that what I get paid these wads of cash for?? When you get to senior controller status, the amount of cash you earn is inversely proportional to the amount of hair on your head.

Leave is not a problem, the senior controller has so many days in lieu, that he now just asks who wants any leave because otherwise he's going to take the whole year.

He does have a great car and a nice big house, but a huge mortgage, many loans and a totally f*cked liver to show for his years of earning.

An early go is standard procedure, isn't it written into the MATS Part 1?? Just so that he can deprive the young of some fun and go home to sleep on the couch or spend the evening in PPRuNe chat. Sad or what?? :)

As for night shifts, having done so many long sleeps, the sleeping bag that was bought after validation pay rise, has now become a tatty, dirty and smelly rag.

He is no longer keen to work and is already counting down the cycles left till retirement, and also has a nice array of apparently funky ties and larvely knitted jumpers for the weekend.

10W
13th Apr 2001, 17:31
Aaah cally, if it hadn't been for the bit about jam jar glasses and baldness, I might have thought you'd been spying on me !! ;)

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

AyrTC
13th Apr 2001, 18:53
This is the sort of frivilous inaccurate thread that is bringing PPRUNE into disrespect.
Callyou.. you have your facts WRONG.I have a vast collection of KNITTED ties and FUNKY jumpers(sleevless of course!)

There is also nothing wrong with sleeping on the couch except when the dog licks your face to wake you up(and that also depends on what the dog has been licking beforehand :) )

As one younger controller once remarked when he saw the dog licking his b*ll*cks"I wish I could do that"
"Go right ahead son" I replied "I'm sure the dog won't mind"

Ah the old ones are the best(ATCO's and jokes).

It must also be mentioned Old ATCO's obsession with Real Ale.They go on and on and on etc about beer, colour taste smell etc when all they really want to do is get p*ssed out of their brains(t*ssers)

Anyway must go now 'cos I've got to catch a train to take me to the CAMRA festival at Paisley.Buuuuuuurrrrrp :)

AyrTC

Schadenfreude
13th Apr 2001, 23:54
The original author of this article (Paul Haworth) is still stuck in ERA - so perhaps someone would be good enough to volunteer to replace him, then he can take his well earned retirement!!

Lon More
14th Apr 2001, 02:07
Headsets, sleeping bags??
you young folk don't know when you've got it made.
When i were a lad (17hundred and numpty eight weeks ago) we didn't have head sets we had tin cans and a bit of string. We didn't have sleeping bags either , we had to catch and skin our own woolly mammoths - which probably explains the smell in the old bunk room next the Airco on the top floor at LATCC.

Seriously, it was a different world then - Arnold Field and Barney Job ruled the roost at LATCC: Fag ash Lil Hacked her way through the nights: jackets and ties to be worn at all times until a papal bull came down from above. Take home pay £17 per week and those under 19 got meal vouchers. On your birthday this stopped because you got a raise and the taxman immediately took that, and more, away.
The good old days NOT.

------------------
Lon More,just an ATCO

BuzzLightyear
16th Apr 2001, 02:10
Tin cans and string? Luxury, we had to roll up a three day old Daily Telegraph like a megaphone and shout down it....

Do you remember a certain CSC, if he is still there, turning up in full evening dress, including cane and being told to go home and change into something more sensible?

------------------
To infinity and beyond

Lon More
21st Apr 2001, 19:48
Buzz
Can't remember that.
There was an ATCA2 on North Bank who turned ip wearing a pinstripe suit, bowler hat umbrella and a rolled up copy of the F>T> and was told the same thing. If he hadn't gone OTT with the dicky bow he would probably have gotten away with it.

------------------
Lon More,just an ATCO