PDA

View Full Version : Staff Shortages - Is it that simple?

no sig
11th Apr 2001, 01:58
I'd be grateful if someone could explain just why we are seeing delays as a result of staff shortages. Is it as simple as that? Is NATS short of Controllers?, is it a recruitment issue, or is it that someone one's screwed up the watch roster?

Nuke the Bastards
11th Apr 2001, 02:10
A little background on yer good self first please ?

no sig
11th Apr 2001, 02:28
Fear not Nuke, I'm a user of your good services, but frustrated by the delays we are encountering labled 'staff shortage'. And indeed, worried that as we move towards the busy period that things will get significantly worse. I'm seeking some sort of re-assurance that NATS has this in hand.

slurp
11th Apr 2001, 16:57
no sig...this is only the shape of things to come...there is a shortfall of staff on two fronts ...firstly a lack of recruitment and pass rates ,but also the training for the new centre is cutting a swathe through staffing numbers.And as for delays ..i think you will see significant delays until well into 2002 ..due to staff getting familiar with the new system.

Lon More
11th Apr 2001, 20:48
Not just a U.K. Problem, it's happening everywhere.

Lack of foresight by responsible administration lead to insufficient staff recruited 4 or 5 years ago who would now be available as fully qualified staff.

12% p.a. increase in traffic at our unit, extra sectors required to be open, pensionable age reduced, introduction of new system, etc. all take their toll of sraff available.

There is a distinct shortage of persons able to perform the duties and from the available persons a considerable number are just not interested as better salaries, conditions and incentives are available elsewhere.

Maybe a starting salary equal to local B747 Captain + 10% might make for a few more applicants 8)

------------------
Lon More,just an ATCO

2 six 4
12th Apr 2001, 00:45
No sig. A matter of a large ATC centre on the south coast which is taking a large number of ATCOs each day and training them for operations next January.

Nuke the Bastards
12th Apr 2001, 01:22
On the Terminal Control side, we do not have enough staff to man all the sectors.......

YES there is a staff shortage....and will be for the forseeable future. It's not something that can just have people thrown at it to solve the problem (which is a typical management "get out" tactic).

As the airspace becomes busier, and more complicated, it takes longer to train the poor blighters who are landed with such a task - and all that after a course that does not prepare them for the horrors of live traffic.

THEN, of course, the retirement "bulge" is looming high on the horizon......

...and I must echo the sentiments of my colleagues above, re mal-administration and the introduction of the big white heffalump !

So....dont forget your flask and sarnies......and PLEASE rememeber, when you DO get to fly, thoset that are controlling you are just as frustrated......if not more so !

DownUnder111
16th Apr 2001, 18:04
If you guys want to recruit some controllers tellem to look down under cos there are a swag of controllers about to get their balls sliced off and eaten in the EBA and are itching to get out and find greener pastures. Example of this is that half of OZ controllers eligible applied for the latest intake of EuroControl in Maastricht. Please get em to advertise in Austrlia, their door will be beaten down with offers.

And Please no smart asse comments about quiet airspace and all that, heard it all before.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Apr 2001, 20:26
No sig... must be as frustrating as it is for us when we hear you chaps blame "ATC delays" for all manner of airline cock-ups!

no sig
16th Apr 2001, 23:21
Heathrow Director
I'm sure it is, but the origin of my question
was in no way meant to be taking a swipe at ATCO's, but simply to try and understand just why NATS, who I have always held in the highest regard, is no longer able to manage without a reduction in operational capacity.

Managment of increased workload and training is nothing new, it's disappointing that in recent years are we seeing staff shortages given as delay cause.

cya
17th Apr 2001, 12:13
Sorry to be a merchant of gloom but you poor Poms ain't seen nothing yet! You're about to be privatised, which means you can expect to have accountants and lawyers - who know squat about aviation and safety - deciding your future. Expect to see a slowdown in recruitment, staff shortages and a slow rise in your individual annual leave balances. This will be exacerbated by staff leaving for more lucrative positions elsewhere - they probably won't be treated any better but at least they'll be paid more.

These bean-counters hang around for 3 or 4 years then piss off and create mayhem on another poor unsuspecting company.

Do I sound cynical - sorry guys, but we're actually a decade ahead of most of you in this area. The only way to combat this is complete unity - in our experience a pipedream since there are always enough selfish controllers around to work overtime and brown-nose management.

Good luck guys!

Nuke the Bastards
17th Apr 2001, 13:17
no sig

"Delays due to staff shortages" is quite correct.....through years of mis-management !!!! It will, I am very much afraid, continue for the foreseeable future.

There IS one consolation though......at least the truth is now out, whereas before NATS ATCO's were not permitted to give the REAL cause of the delays.

no sig
17th Apr 2001, 16:56
Thanks folks. Co-incidentally, I have this day received a copy of the NATS Capacity Enhancement Plan 2001 which I will read with considerable interest.

Nuke the Bastards
18th Apr 2001, 15:19
WOW no sig.......

I wonder if you'll be able to cope with all the bulls**t !!! :) :) :)

Would be VERY interested to see what garbage they've come up with now :)

BEXIL160
18th Apr 2001, 16:02
....nosig...

You mentioned the NATS Capacity Enhancement Plan 2001.

If you're really taking a serious interest in ATC, and specifically NATS, you should know that this document hasn't been publicised in either of LATCCs ops rooms. Indeed I'm mystified about what could possibly be in it, as is my colleague Nuke. My point is: the people who are apparently going to deliver your "capacity enhancements" know NOTHING about the plan.

RVSM will deliver "some" capcity increases, eventually, and NERC will provide NONE, at least for a LONG time.

I'd treat anything that the current NATS management are promising with a degree of skepticism. They preach "Open and Honest" management.The reality is somewhat different.

This is yet another example of telling the customer (you) what he wants to hear and not telling the staff (who are susposed to deliver NATS promises) about the porkies they've told.

BTW IPMS are currently at odds with Chief of Ops (?)Colin Chisholm over staff numbers. He insists that the numbers are there and IPMS has a different view.

If there are indeed enough staff, how come the weekly delay statistics (from NATS own business reporting office= Mayesta Ewer) have some reference to Staff shortages on every report???

I'd go and ask NATS if you can see THOSE reports as well.

Actually I WANT NATS to improve. We're pretty good now, given what we have, LATCC AC falling to bits, staff shortages etc etc. We can do better I'm sure, but the way to go about it is to get the operational staff INVOLVED and stop adopting the ostrich position. Tell the truth and we'll start to get somewhere.

BEX

no sig
18th Apr 2001, 19:18
The document says, for further information contact Head of ATM Policy and Performance or NATS Corporate Communications for further copies.

BEX

Believe me, I too would like to see NATS remain top of the international ATS leagues.

As I said, I will read with interest.

ATC Watcher
18th Apr 2001, 21:26
No Sig: For Europe : You are likely to encounter more delays due to ATC staff shortage in the coming years. Main reasons : inadequate recruitment policies, extremely high failure rate (40-60% depending on the facilities in Europe ) competition from IT Computer companies recruiting in the same pot offering far better conditions, and above all first effects of the falling birthrate in developped countries.
Now this combined with unexpeced (for some ) air traffic growth and over-reliance on new technologies ( that were supposed to automate everything ) explain partially the mess we are in today.
The next 2 years or so will be the worse, then , one can expect improvement on that front.
High salaries alone will not improve the situation, money is generally a short term motivator. Working conditions, carreer prospects and recognition will have a far better impact.
Watch carefully what is currently going on with the controllers in Germany.. I believe this is the begining of things to come.

Ah, I amost forgot, if you do not like delays, avoid flying tomorow (19 April )with the introduction of EAM04 in Germany and RVSM in the UK, the CFMU is going to be busy !...

Nuke the Bastards
18th Apr 2001, 22:01
Well, no sig, now you perhaps have an idea at how frustrated we ground-huggers feel.

I must echo BEX's statements concerning NATS Management, it's motives, and it's overall policy of being somewhat "economical" with the TRUE facts of the state of staffing within the current operational system.

Also ATC Watcher has a very good aim when it comes to facts too.

Sorry we can't put a better face on things, but it's the truth that you'll get from these pages.........

Spotter
18th Apr 2001, 23:44
STAFFING

There have been ongoing discussions with the Chief Executive about the true staffing situation in NATS.

Quote:
"Whilst the CE insists that we have surplus staff and that is what he must portray publicly, we have maintained the position that these strategic numbers are not reflected on the shop floor, both in terms of numbers and in terms of qualification and validations."

From IPMS union newsletter. Shows that senior management are well aware of shortages of suitably qualified staff in some areas, but because we have enough ATCO's overall everything must be OK.

Did anyone notice recently in the NATS operations weekly summary that certain LATCC delays were attributed to "Resourcing issues".
Euphemism of the week?

no sig
19th Apr 2001, 16:02
Thanks Nuke, indeed I do.

12Left
19th Apr 2001, 17:14
....Downunder111
Shearwater Training Ltd (new oufit in UK) are looking to recruit and convert.....worth a try maybe.

slurp
20th Apr 2001, 03:02
heard there are 49 early retirement letters in Personnel Department at LATCC ,this will add to our woes...

BEXIL160
20th Apr 2001, 03:24
nosig...et al..

I have sneaking suspicion that NATS will use the cop out excuse of "unforseen circumstances" when it comes to controller shortages, particularly this summer.

Morale ain't good, OCT for NERC is in full swing, DIL are accumulating rapidly and leave has been restricted. Oh, and we're about to go into the busiest summer EVER.

What would you think would be the effect of all this "cumulative fatigue" on LATCC ATCOs? Yes, a rise in sickness rates (which until recently were extremely low). It's not just a jolly wheese either. Tired and stressed people really are more prone to ailments. All of which isn't exactly rocket science, but seems beyond the comprehension of NATS senior managers.

Early retirement requests? Not really surprising either given the current situation.

So, to the point of all this. Don't be fobbed off by NATS managers saying staff shortages are all down to "unforseen circumstances". They have been warned, repeatedly by IPMS, GATCO and their own staff for a LONG time.

The staffing issues are ALL of their own making. Please don't point the finger at the operational staff (ATCOs, ATSAs and ATEs). This rests firmly with "the management".

I'm putting the soap box away now....

rgds
BEX

P.S. I would be really nice for a member of senior NATS managemnet to put their hand up and say "Yep, all our fault, we f**ked it up. PLEASE help us put it right folks". Not gonna happen though, is it?

Luftwaffle
20th Apr 2001, 20:06
How's this for a staff shortage:

According to my local paper, ten aircraft were forced to hold at Auckland for 25 minutes while the single controller on duty took his legally mandated break, after three hours of work.

According to the article, two controllers were off sick and one was stuck in traffic.

The most surprising thing about the article is that it states, "the planes were in no danger" and has no quotes from passengers commenting on their near-death experience. :)