PDA

View Full Version : Non-NATS airports

Marving
8th Dec 2004, 15:01
IS there somewhere that could provide me with a full list of all airports in the UK not currently controlled by NATS?

Also, do NATS aim to 'take over' control of those airports currently not under their supervision (maybe 'supervision' isn't the right word, but it'll have to do)? Sorry if the 2nd question looks a bit stupid, I'm just trying to get a clearer idea of the ATC position in the UK.

Thanks.

Someone_Else
8th Dec 2004, 15:16
Answering your question would be easier if you ask the opposite and note down all the airports that NATS do operate at and you can find that information on their website @ http://www.nats.co.uk

Hope that helps.

jabberwok
9th Dec 2004, 04:05
NATS can't take over ATC at an airfield - they are just a service provider. It's the airport authority who choose who will operate their ATC operations.

An example is Liverpool who were originally a NATS ATC airport and then awarded the contract elsewhere. That was some time ago - I don't know who runs it now..

jb

Father Jack
9th Dec 2004, 04:16
Marving,

a list of all UK aerodromes and heliports can be found in the UK AIP AD 1-2-1-1 to 4.

You can register to access these pages at www.ais.org.uk

After that you can take someone else's advice and subtract the list of aerodromes where NATS provide the service.

Hope that helps.

squibbler
9th Dec 2004, 08:48
Liverpool who were originally a NATS ATC airport and then awarded the contract elsewhere. That was some time ago - I don't know who runs it now..

All before my time but:

Liverpool ATC has never been run by NATS. It was run by the CAA pre the existence of NATS, then contracted out to SERCO / IAL (don't know from when....late 70's early 80's perhaps :confused: ). SERCO and Liverpool "parted company" in 1999(?), ATC was brought "in house" and that takes us up to the present day.

NATS had a sniff around towards the end of the SERCO contract but felt the old tower and it's equipment wasn't up to scratch (they were right). We built a new one but they never came back! :{

JustaFew
9th Dec 2004, 13:46
Harking back to the 'good old days', again, Squibbler.....?!

jabberwok
9th Dec 2004, 15:49
If you want to be pedantic about it I'll agree with you that NATS didn't operate at Liverpool. Strike out NATS and replace with any of the following terms that suit your fancy.

CAA, Board of Trade, Department of Transport, Ministry of Aviation. I'd guess Board of Trade but I won't bet on it.

I can't confirm what we were at the time because I didn't keep my payslips or licenses. Had a drawer full of the latter because they reprinted them every time we got shunted to a different ministry.

It was IAL who took over from us - definitely not SERCO.

jb

squibbler
9th Dec 2004, 16:35
jabberwock - :confused: What is your problem? A very surly posting to be sure. I wasn't trying to score points against you and I don't think highlighting the difference between the CAA & NATS is being pedantic!

Too much coffee today perhaps? ;)

Spitoon
9th Dec 2004, 22:02
If we're going to be pedantic, NATS existed in the days before it became a separate legal entity - it was just a functional area of the CAA.

I seem to recall some people saying that the only thing that changed was the name - NATS to NATS Ltd. I think time has told a rather different story.