PDA

View Full Version : help! wierd toolbar on Internet Explorer

ariel
8th Dec 2004, 13:54
Hope somebody can help....

Yesterday, on line, suddenly got a message that went something like this: "thank you for using/downloading toolbar. etc..."

Now, (above my perfectly legitimate Google toolbar, resides one that I DIDN'T put there, and most of the links are to adult websites.

Since this thing appeared, (haven't used the links, just moused over them to see what they say), the computer is acting rather strangely - I assume it may have aquired a virus.

Anyway, does anybody know how I can get rid of/disable this toolbar, short of taking off Internet Explorer, and re-installing it?

Any help appeciated!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Dec 2004, 14:05
ariel,

You can uninstall the Google Toolbar in Add/Remove Programs.

Take Care,

Richard

Evo
8th Dec 2004, 14:08
Richard - I think ariel is happy with the Google toolbar. It's the other one that's the problem.

ariel - have a look in the FAQ at the top of the forum, and take a look at the Spyware thread.

BLUE SKY THINKER
8th Dec 2004, 14:28
ariel.....

Agree with Evo here, I think with all due respect Richard has got the wrong toolbar and that you are looking to rid yourself of the more dubious one.

Download Hijackthis (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dvk01uk/files/HijackThis.exe) and 'Scan'. .....Results of any toolbar hijack should show near the top of the list under code '03'. .....Treat with caution before checking entry and 'Fix checked' that you probably have the culprit. .....If you come unstuck, go to 'Config' > 'Backups' and reverse process.

Also take a look at the Hijackthis Info & Tutorial (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dvk01uk/hjttut.htm) for more information on these codes in general and '03' in particular.

ariel
8th Dec 2004, 14:39
Thanks for your replies, will give the hijack, (or UN hijack)! option a try

E-Liam
8th Dec 2004, 17:08
Hi Ariel,

Post the HJT log on the forum, and I'll check it over. You may see the toolbar in the log, but that is not always the only entries that will need to go.. the *.exe that is running for instance.

My C&P for HJT follows.. :)

Please download 'Hijack This!' from here (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/), unzip, and place it in it’s own folder, (not in the temp folder, or on the desktop) doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply. (Please disable smilies when posting)

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Dec 2004, 17:08
Evo,

I was wondering why ariel was complaining about Google installing itself. :ugh:

ariel,

I would suggest that you run HJT! to see what is going on with your comp and post the log file here so we can take a look at it.

Do not fix anything on HJT! till we take a look at the log file.

Take Care,

Richard