PDA

View Full Version : transition from turboprop to jets

ABDUL N ABDUL
8th Dec 2004, 10:04
i was asked to give a breifing of 30-45 mibutes on transition from Turbo-prop A/C to JET A/C if anyone knows anyhting about these types and the details of coverting from one to another it would be much appreciated if you could share them with me

Abdul

BlueEagle
8th Dec 2004, 11:44
Well, this won't fill a forty five minute lecture but just a couple of points.

The major difference is SPEED, so you must think a bit quicker than on a turbo-prop.

On the good side, whereas in the turbo-prop you had , for example, in a twin, four levers in the middle on a jet you only have two!

Everything is much more quiet and much, much faster.

Alaskan Timber
8th Dec 2004, 19:05
When eng. failure (at take-off), bigger yaw and roll moment (generally), due to more drag of props.

Be carefull with the use off rudder on jets. See also American Airlines final report.

More autopilot and flight director modes (generally).

More radiation on jets (higher levels).

ETOPS

Speed reduction is slower on jets. Take this into account with your descent planning.

Good luck

catchup
8th Dec 2004, 19:57
Also very important on jet

PITCH AND POWER

regards

CarltonBrowne the FO
8th Dec 2004, 20:21
Get yourself a copy of DP Davies' Handling the Big Jets. It will give you more than enough info for such a presentation, and make useful revision throughout your career.

Oxidant
9th Dec 2004, 07:45
PITCH AND POWER

Not on a 'Bus matey!;)

meatball
10th Dec 2004, 12:14
Speaking of Handling the Big Jets ( DP Davies )i have been trying to obtain copies through 2 different outlets and IT IS NOT AVAILABLE...i am wanting to buy one so if anybody has ideas how to find it please let me know.:ok:

latetonite
10th Dec 2004, 13:14
Why you do not attend a briefing about the topic yourself, before you try to brief people?:=

duece19
10th Dec 2004, 14:35
meatball

I purchased my copy at www.amazon.co.uk, took three days and I had it in my hand.

cheers

BlueEagle
11th Dec 2004, 05:43
Twenty nine copies available here! (http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?imagefield.x=36&an=D.P.+Davies&tn=Handling+the+Big+jets&imagefield.y=14) .

DOVES
11th Dec 2004, 08:28
The main difference is the engine(s) response time to throttle(s) advancement.
While in a jet airplane it takes more than 10 seconds to increase from idle to full T.O. thrust, in prop/engine it's almost immediate.
I remember that during my familiarization flights to the Vickers Viscount (almost 35 years ago) we had to perform a manouver from the syllabus:
"the steep approach":
Thrust levers=Idle
Gear=down
Flaps=landing config.
Speed=Threshold speed
Vertical speed=almost 2000-2500 ft/min to the flare.
It was permitted because due to the fast engines response it was possible to go around till the very last moment.
With the advent of the jet engines (La Caravelle in my case) that manoeuver became 'dangerous' if not 'deadly'

FE Hoppy
12th Dec 2004, 14:45
We include about an hour on this subject in our 170 type course. An hour is not enough.

we include not in this order:
Engine responce times
Effects of prop wash lift
Crit engine/no crit engine
High speed flight
Mcrit
MDD
High speed buffet
Swept wing/ supercrit wing
Buffet Boundery
Cl vs Alpha swept/unswept wing

Stabalised Approach.

I could go on but if you would like more you have to pay.

Alaskan Timber
12th Dec 2004, 21:11
Do you accept MasterCard ?