PDA

View Full Version : Aussie ATC Testing

Fire Starter
9th Apr 2001, 13:03
G'day All!

Yep - it's happening again - Testing Time! :)

Any advice as to how to prepare for the tests? Any books, etc?

I've read the advice of the threads in this forum back in November 2000. Can anyone add anything further?

Cheers! :)

------------------
If you can't see through the smoke - you're not low enough!

PMS
9th Apr 2001, 22:39
Firestarter,
Personally I would try another line of work and employer. I have worked for Airservices and they are one of the worst employers about. If you have or can get a European passport I would suggest you try Eurocontrol or one of the ANS empployers in Europe, you will get better treatment.

LoLevel
10th Apr 2001, 18:29
So PMS...have you ever worked for EuroControl? Just wonder what you are basing your comparison on.

------------------
[email protected]
"The views expressed here are a personal rant and rave and in no way reflect the views of my employer/s, not even by coincidence I should imagine "

karrank
12th Apr 2001, 15:38
We know what we have. So many people from Australia applied for MAASTRICHT the recruiters called our management drones to ask why?

We have managers in procedure change frenzy, tools that just don't work properly and a future of having two identical big white boxes to work in.

Seriously, give it a go. There are lots of us that want to put the foot in the water for an overseas job by taking leave without pay, but we need bums on the seats to get out.

The testing is sheer endurance, I came out with a numb brain. The best way to approach it is to be positive, work hard, and if you have the right sort of brain you can do the test.

If the test says no it has probably saved you a lot of time and effort. It is really disagreeable seeing somebody's training end without a rating, but the job itself is really satisfying if you get through(just ignore the pr*cks you work for).

------------------
"Station calling Centre, grow a head..."

Coast
12th Apr 2001, 18:14
PMS.....you seem pissed at all ATC employers!! Personally I'd give my left nut for a job in Oz (even Perth).

In that vein anyone with suggestions fire away, I'm tierd of freezing in the Great White North.

BTW....PMS I hope you have a sense of humour, you know I was just pulling your pisser. :) :)

DownUnder111
13th Apr 2001, 14:33
Firestarter, it is true AirServices is a bad employer more interested in profit than providing service, but the job itself, I believe, is a great job and is well paid(at least until they screw us over in the next EBA). So I would encourage you to go at it with all you've got. As far as the testing goes my advice would be;

1. Don't stress if you don't finish all the tests, most are designed not to be finished. They are more interested in you getting what you do complete correct, so while trying to work quickly don't let haste jeopardise accuracy.

2. Have a good nights sleep before you go cos you'll be nackered half way through, its very tiring.

3. If you can, strike up conversations with the testers during breaks cos if they know you and think you're a good bloke it helps(it can't hurt)

4. When doing the Pschological crap they will repeat the same question over and over again to try and see if you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes so be consistent and don't worry too much.

5. Most of all relax and enjoy the experience, if you are right for the job then so be it, if not thems the breaks, worrying will only make you perform badly.

Good Luck, and if you do get accepted remember you still have a long way to go as usually 50% of trainees don't make it to getting a rating, and as such don't burn bridges if you do get accepted. Cheers...

Checkerboard
13th Apr 2001, 19:18
Fire Starter, thats not you Wing Commander Marsh is it?:P

250 kts
13th Apr 2001, 22:37
Hope the opening title- Aussie ATC Testing- isn't a question,'cos on my trips there ,from what I can see it is far from testing. The airports are pretty quiet-mind you the procedure of telling every inbound at SYD the ILS frequency gives them something to do I suppose!!

Fire Starter
14th Apr 2001, 13:15
Thanks for all your replies - most helpful.

Yes, from personal experience, I would agree that Government employers are not what they used to be. Perhaps the predicted change in Government may make things better? :rolleyes: Or perhaps not?!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. :)

------------------
If you can't see through the smoke - you're not low enough!

PMS
14th Apr 2001, 16:21
250kts
Yes Ozzie may be a little quieter than LHR as one would expect, however do not assume that they are not busy in Sydney or the associated sectors. There are many times when it is as busy as anywhere in the northern hemisphere but just not continually for hours on end. Maybe you should only comment on things you know. By the way, Australia still turns out the best trained ATC in the world, just to put you straight on that score. They are now working in some of the worlds busiest places except UK. Funny about that, it is probably because you guys probably couldn't handle the competition just like the bloody cricket.

[This message has been edited by PMS (edited 14 April 2001).]

Standard_Departure
14th Apr 2001, 23:44
In all honesty,

It seems that there are not many Providers out there that can truly please their staff.

NavCanada, Serco, OZ, and many others seem to come under major fire from their respective ATC's. Seems like there is a World Wide trend of Bad ATC management going around.

It's a pity really, because after all, we are a pleasant bunch ey !

ferris
14th Apr 2001, 23:45
For 250kts
Another "London is the centre of the Universe" wally.
Just a quick question; is Sydney-Melbourne the third or second BUSIEST ROUTE IN THE WORLD? Ask someone who can read to look it up for you.
Cheers.

250 kts
15th Apr 2001, 18:12
Well Ferris we are a bit twitchy about this aren't we??. All I was saying in a light hearted way was that it seemed pretty quiet over there. Anyway I can't find the figures for movements in Oz last year but for the record LATCC did 1,913,730.
Maybe they do more, I don't know,but I see it was too busy for you going by your present location.
G'day all.

ferris
16th Apr 2001, 02:11
250kts
Yes I am a bit twitchy about smug attitudes and one-upmanship. Any decent controller knows 20 on frequency can be mundane, 3 can make you work your butt off. 1,913,730 divided by how many controllers? I have more respect for a guy in Alice Springs working one-up with 3 73s' inbound A320 behind (as usual), meeting a starlifter, a P3 with an engine out, 3 students C152 in circuit, flying doctor PC12 Med1, 2 Dh8s, numerous light twins and NO radar. Oh, and I'm here hoping to get a foot in the door for that LATCC job I SOOOO want, not the lifestyle.
Toodle pip.

250 kts
16th Apr 2001, 14:48
Crikey! Could make a movie out of that little lot. Might struggle with the A320 scenario though.

ferris
16th Apr 2001, 15:41
Why? Has CASA grounded Ansett's last remaining airworthy type?

375ml
17th Apr 2001, 16:33
Why do so many people want to fly to England? Or are all these flights loaded up outbound only? ;)

For an apple/orange comparison, the Airservices Australia stats for 2000 lists 3,146,392 controlled aerodrome movements (civilian apts, but includes DN strangely). Don't know about overflights and mil apt traffic however.

Super G
17th Apr 2001, 18:50
375ml, have read your last post with just a little passing interest and I wonder quietly why you consider it so strange that DN has been included in the controlled aerodrome stats. Surely you're not going to stick your neck out that far and suggest that DN is a non controlled aerodrome?

Better make sure how big it is before you pull it out to let all the girls see it buddy. In other words get your facts straight before engaging diatribe.

375ml
18th Apr 2001, 06:22
SuperG, I thought DN was a military controlled, shared-user aerodrome, like Williamtown?

Now I've taken another look I see YBRK is also included. Do you know what the rules are?

I wouldn't say the post was diatribe - it was a standard joke at England's expense, and my listing of the stats just shows an example of the problems comparing different ATC situations. Anyway I love the UK. If I didn't live in Oz, I'd live in England.

RogerOut
18th Apr 2001, 17:25
:)PMS while I'm broadly in agreement with your post don't ever ever confuse the UK with England! You Kiwis are all the same :)

------------------
RogerOut
I Keep Mine Hidden

Super G
19th Apr 2001, 17:16
375ml, even though DN may be classed as a joint user aerodrome, it's inclusion as a civil airport is justified as 85%-90% of moves there are civil. I don't know what criteria would classify one airport as civil and one as military but with QF, AN, Garuda, Malaysian, Royal Brunei and Air North coming and going every day out of DN it certainly looks civil.