PDA

View Full Version : Another one retires

Bern Oulli
8th Dec 2004, 08:13
OK, it has been a week since I retired from NATS, but I seem to have been busier than when I was "working".

Bern Oulli, aka "Pedro" within NATS, aka Pete in other places, retired at the end of November after 37+ years in ATC. For all you newbies entering the profession I'll tell you now it has been GREAT. I would do it all over again. I suspect that I was privileged to experience the golden years of modern aviation however. Is it just my advancing years or is the business getting far too serious?

A quick resumé then, to bring back a few memories to some of the oldies. Started life on No.1 Student Cadet Course in 1967. Never heard of it? Well it was the only one I think, subsequently split into Nos. 11 and 12 Cadet Courses. Anyone remember Mike Hunt and Wotsisname Summerhaze (sp?)?) The deal was you only needed 1 "A" level instead of 2, and to compensate, did 6 months as an ATCA (as they were then) at an airfield and a center before doing the Cadet thing proper. Now there's a good idea. Did my thing at Scottish Center (Remember Redbrae and Gailes Radar?) , and Edinburgh Turnhouse. Then on to the courses proper, validating at Stansted (ADC), Guernsey (APP & APR), Ulster Radar (ah, the Ardglass Arms!), and Preston Center (Barton Hall) for the Area thing. A three and a half year course children. It is quicker now but is it better? Oh, I nearly forgot. Cambridge for a couple of months to do the PPL thang.

Then posted to Stansted but after 2 years got an offer I could not refuse and left the CAA (as was then) and went to Guernsey for 17 years. Came back to NATS to instruct at the good old College of Knowledge in 1989 where I managed to stay until now.

So I managed to work for the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Board of Trade, Department of Trade (& Industry?), CAA and NATS, not to mention the States of Guernsey Civil Service.

Stretching from when jets were a novelty to when the sight of a propeller raises the blood pressure, all in one career. I missed out on flying boats. Not bad I think.

I've also tried to work out how many trainee ATCOs have passed by me and gave up. Lots and lots. When it came to the point of trainees that I remember teaching coming back to the College as instructors or worse, my manager (she is very nice really), I realised that I had been in the game too long!

I shall still take an interest and to all those out there who remember me, just keep 'em apart like we told you!

Heathrow Director, move over and make room.

When in doubt, "Roger, Out".

SilentHandover
8th Dec 2004, 08:16
I still want that model HP7 that you rescued from the college skip!

8th Dec 2004, 08:46
Just checking my arithmetic you understand, but in a 37 year career you only did 2years operational revenue-earning controlling for NATS [or CAA] ?
I take my hat off to you......a true master.
Respect and kind regards.

AlanM
8th Dec 2004, 09:29
Enjoy your new found relaxation (oope I forgot, you have left the college!!!)

All the best fella...... and I will never forget your use of the word tW@t in a radar skills lesson once!!!!! (neither does my chum at work who you said it to!)

Enjoy

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Dec 2004, 11:04
<<Remember Redbrae and Gailes Radar?>>

Gailes?? Blimey; all these years I thought it was BRAILLE Radar!

Have a great retirement mate.. Like you, I got around a bit before joing MoA/BoT, or whatever it was called.

I agree 100% with you - it was GREAT.

Take care and have a Very Merry Crimble.

Bren

tired-flyboy
8th Dec 2004, 11:15
Pedro

As one of the last crop (Cse 201) to have been under the wing (or is it thumb) of this retiree, can i just say thanks for a start into the Civi side that was gentle and reassuring.

PTT will never be the same (or will it??) who cares....Not you!

Have a nice life on the golf course (or whatever it is old people do.:cool:.:O .!!)

TFB

:ok:

Bern Oulli
8th Dec 2004, 11:44
055166K, Um.... er...., I cannot argue with your maths. It was never my strong point. Well done, you win a cookie - I thought I had concealed that rather well. However, it does highlight the question, why were NATS cadets/students/trainees never bonded?

AlanM and any others I have used strong words to in the past. Almost certainly well deserved at the time. At least I never used the technique of one (long retired) instructor, whose entire debrief to the hapless stude consisted of a long pregnant pause, followed by the immortal words "you're wasting my f :mad: ing time you are". Admittedly the exercise had been pretty dire but one is supposed to find at least one good thing about it.

silenthandover Thanks but it looks quite nice parked next to the 748, BAC1-11, DC9, VC9, Trident, etc from the same source.

tired flyboy
gentle and reassuring ?
I must have been slipping! Seriously, stay with it - the hill gets steeper but the view is well worth the climb.

Merry Mid-winter Solstice to you all, or whatever it is you celebrate at this end of the year (not wishing to offend anyone).

Standard Noise
8th Dec 2004, 12:20
Pedro, may you have a long and happy retirement away from the asylum. I don't remember a cross word from you, but then again, maybe 83 course were all angels!;) As I recall, you were one of the few out of the sometimes miserable shower at the college, who always seemed to be smiling.

Good luck where ever life takes you from here.

Barney

AlanM
8th Dec 2004, 12:43
You weren't calling me the Tw@t (for once!)......it was a tall Dennis Bergkamp lookalike and you laughed as you said it! (as did the rest of class!)

:)

Nuisance
8th Dec 2004, 13:05
Pedro,

As another 201er- we'll miss you terribly:{ . That is until you come back part-time next year of course! Thanks for everything, especially the kick up the arse when I most needed it and the shoulder to cry on. Oh and I like climbing hills, so bring on the next bit!!:ok:

Val will have to get used to flying solo in FG11 now!

Take care matey, and enjoy what relaxation you'll allow yourself. Can't see you sitting still for long!

Lol, Your most recently troublesome trainee!

Someone_Else
8th Dec 2004, 15:32
Pedro,

Thankfully for you your time with 201 was a short as it was, I think we would have driven you insane if we were about much longer! However, in that time you helped quite a few of us when the situation got hairy and I know one person who is extremely grateful for the support you gave. So Thank you.

On the other hand, you won't have to deal with eejits like me breaking the computers.

So I hope you have a long and happy retirement and perhaps I will see you in the college next year when I return from the North.

How's that Mio working out for ya?

Take Care

Someone_Else

boroatco
8th Dec 2004, 15:38
Pedro,

I'd like to add my best wishes for your retirement,
You were without doubt a great inspiration for myself and the rest of the guys on 94 APR course always willing to have some banter, to pragmatically interpret the college regime often to our benefit (100% pass rate on APR)

You were also a mine of info and anecdotes in the smoking room as well as giving us the unofficial heads up on things behind the scenes

The college will have a massive void to fill after your departure

all the best big man

Stu L

bagpuss lives
8th Dec 2004, 16:19
Best of luck Pedro :ok:

Bern Oulli
8th Dec 2004, 16:47
Thanks for all the kind words peeps, it makes it all worth doing. The other part of "worth doing" is, as Nuisance so aptly described it; the well placed kick up the arse when I most needed it and then seeing it have the desired effect.

boroatco, always open to a bit of interpretation. Who was it said that "rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"? I think that applies especially in this weird job of ours at some time or other.

Nuisance (especially) and others on 201 ........I'll be back! If only to make sure you bloody well pass the rest.

Oh yes, the Mio is a magic bit of kit. I would be lost without it!!!!!

Vlad the Impaler
8th Dec 2004, 21:14
A rose between too many thorns..........
Cheers Pedro
and good luck

2 sheds
8th Dec 2004, 21:33
Pedro

Obviously missed and appreciated by many former trainees - also, may I say on behalf of all your friends and colleagues, by us as well.

The trainees may appreciate the end result of your labours, we also know what a hellava lot of hard work went on behind the scenes. All Introductory and Approach Control Surveillance (still sticks in the throat, what a load of b*ll*cks) Course trainees will reap the benefit of your efforts for years to come.

A pleasure to work with you, matey.

Keep in touch, and see you in January if not before.

Eccles / 2 sheds

ILS 119.5
8th Dec 2004, 23:39
I think I came acroos you during my time at CATC. Long time ago, but wish you all the best. ATC is a team of many people and should always be so, and you can still be part of the team.
Rgds
ILS 119.5

Lock n' Load
9th Dec 2004, 03:44
Hi Pedro. I trust you're still sitting in judgement over miscreants on occasion! Been a while since I last saw you on your unit visit at EGPH.
Remember those toys the government took away from you? Maybe you should retire out here where they're still legal!
Hope all is well for you and your family wherever retirement takes you, and thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement at the college.

JJ - 97 Course.

Lon More
9th Dec 2004, 06:53
Ah Redbrae., Local service WAAFs in pink slippers on Night duties,
the steam dripping off the walls in the canteen, Gailles - provided the inspiration for Shakespeare's blasted heath.

Little Roy Evans and Judith (Wight, wight and wight) at Ulster and Gerry Wigglesworth at Preston

A much simpler and pleasant life, or is it the rosy coloured binoculars of time?

Welcome to the club and may you continue in good health for many years

Lon More, here before Pontius was a Pilot or Mortus a Rigger

Bern Oulli
9th Dec 2004, 08:11
Ah Redbrae. Those delicious egg-butties after a night shift. Unbeatable.

Talkdownman
9th Dec 2004, 18:26
HiYa Cresta,

All the best from me, old mate (same course !), we have got a lotta catching up to do. Save a space for me and my zimmer, still two years to go (which makes 40 at the sharp end).

xx to Da Management.

Clocks Off,

Hillman Husky.

Fletchers Left Boot
9th Dec 2004, 18:28
That wasnt a certain long-retired "cheerful" brummie guy was it, Pedro?!
Think I might have been present on the other side of the sim on that one :O

Loki
9th Dec 2004, 20:58
Ah Redbrae, that mock tudor monstrosity. Any truth in the tales I`ve heard that it was haunted?

I remember Gailes too. Ah! the type seven; 1.5 metre wavelength, blips like warm fronts.......

Topofthestack
13th Dec 2004, 22:11
Check your PM's. ;)

Llamapoo
15th Dec 2004, 13:26
The Human Factors Unit will suffer without your help. Have a long and happy retirement.

Tab

buzzerfish
15th Dec 2004, 16:46
Pedro old chum, your glorious CV fails to mention that your finest work was in a minging smokey shed with a BBC B computer and a colour telly on the arse end of Hurn airport. Quality times!
alll the best on your retirement.

Bern Oulli
16th Dec 2004, 15:29
Ah yes, I overlooked that. It may have been "make do and mend" but it got results. I remember a certain RN officer who shall remain nameless.........

fat'n'grey
20th Dec 2004, 10:36
Yo Pedro! As the one who gave you your "handle" back in '89 may I wish you a long, happy and healthy retirement.

I too remember your work with the BBC ordinateur and those evenings after CATC at the "other place". As alluded to above, the govt prevented you and I reducing the rabbit numbers (and stocking my freezer) on the EGHH north side.

Good days all of them and I would not have missed any of it.

Oh dear!!

PS wasn't that a really heartwarming photo of himself that Red Frog posted?

Lon More
21st Dec 2004, 09:56
Loki I think those tales of ghosts were just to spook the gullible. Redbrae was fairly modern but Orangefield House, which incorporated the tower, dated from the 17 century, and was probably a better candidate,
Unfortunately, those who would remember this have mostly passed away.

Bern Oulli
22nd Dec 2004, 06:47
There's a control tower that dates from the 17th century?! I may be old but even I don't remember that one.

Lon More
22nd Dec 2004, 09:53
Bern Oulli try this

http://www.gpia.co.uk/AirportInfo/History/index.asp

It was before even my time, but I remember many stories being told about it on night duties, including one about a pilot , instructed to report to the tower after landing, who, unable to find the entrance, climbed up the outside of the building and knocked on the glass.

Lon More

Here before Pontius was a Pilot or Mortus a Rigger

161R
24th Dec 2004, 15:34
Pedro

Will never forget your line on standard coordination during a demo we were doing to students -

"I'll go round the back with my Virgin".

Have a very long and happy retirement.

Hope you'll be putting those Vietnam jabs you had to good use - at last!

161R

Bern Oulli
24th Dec 2004, 16:30
Damn! I was hoping no-one had remembered that! Cheers mate!