PDA

View Full Version : JAA stuff

Tanveer
7th Dec 2004, 23:51
Hey guys how are you all doing ? Well this is my question for all you pros :ok:

If i get my FAA licenses all of them. Then i want to work in the Europe somewhere. Would i be required to have all JAA licenses or just a JAA ATPL ?

Thanks
tj

fixed&rotary
8th Dec 2004, 06:45
If you can get an employer to sponsor you, the UK CAA may give you an exemption to allow you to fly on your FAA for up to one year. After that you will need a JAA licence - CPL/ATPL, as appropriate, a JAA medical - which will probably require you to go to LGW for the full initial, though am not certain about that - and then you will need to get a JAA type rating.

As far as getting a full JAA CPL/ATPL in concerned, I don't think you get any exam exemptions, either for the JAA licence theory or any of the type technical exams appropriate to type. Your logged hours will be taken at par, as long as you haven't logged any PIC time when someone else has done the same on the same flight (FAA used to allow this, but I don't think they do anymore)

Best bet is to email the UK CAA direct and ask what is involved in licence validation/conversion, but am pretty sure what I have written up here was correct a year or two ago......

Of course, you would also need to have the right to work in the EU, or get sponsored by an operator.

f&r
(UK, US & Can ATP)

FlyingForFun
8th Dec 2004, 09:44
F&R,

In fact, there are circumstances in which Tanveer may be exempt from the exams, or the full groundschool course before the exams, or the full type-rating course, depending on how many hours he has.

Full details can be found in section G1.5 of LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF) . I won't quote all the details here, because it gets pretty complicated, depeding how many multi-pilot hours you've got, how many of them are on the type you'll be using for ATPL issue, and how many of them are as PIC.

However, if you can find an operator in Europe who flies N-registered aircraft (there are quite a few of them) then your FAA license will do you just fine.

FFF
---------------

fixed&rotary
8th Dec 2004, 19:35
I stand corrected....

and I hadn't thought about the N reg aircraft that are around.

In my humble defence, I did put in the caveat to check with the UK CAA directly

f&r