PDA

View Full Version : Tornado fires 7 rounds into Control Tower

form49
26th Feb 2001, 00:09
An interesting article I stumbled across from Reuters:

Amsterdam 23/1/01 15:48 UTC

A German Tornado jet fighter accidentally opened fire on a Dutch military flight tower during a routine training mission, the Dutch defence ministry says.
No-one was injured in the insident at the North Sea island of Vlieland, although 3 people were in the tower which was hit by 7 27mm rounds fired from the aircrafts wing cannon.

A Defence ministry spokesman said "The cause of the incident is not immediately clear"

He added the tower was struck about midway up, below the glass enclosed area where the 3 people were working.

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established

Shazbat
26th Feb 2001, 00:23
A Defence ministry spokesman said "The cause of the incident is not immediately clear"

P'raps it was the trigger that did it ? :) :) :)

niteflite01
26th Feb 2001, 01:16
And we thought the LVP's at EGCC were a nightmare ;)

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

[This message has been edited by niteflite01 (edited 25 February 2001).]

NudgingSteel
26th Feb 2001, 02:59
Good news that no-one was injured.
Any truth to the rumour that, following this incident, several airlines are considering new ways to complain to ATC about speed control etc?

muhdzailan
26th Feb 2001, 09:30
Why did the Luftwaffe Tornado fighter jet fired onto a Dutch military flight tower?

Standard_Departure
26th Feb 2001, 16:47
Routine Training Mission?
Live Ammunition ?
No Safegaurds for Routing whilst "HOT" ?

Hmm, sounds fishy to me ??

static
26th Feb 2001, 18:03
On the island concerned, there is a NATO shooting range. The practice shots should have ended up in a target (sanddune), a couple of hundred yards away.

Misstake?

Steep Approach
26th Feb 2001, 22:02
I hope it didn't hit the telly!!! :-)

Goldfish Jack
27th Feb 2001, 04:05
Have they got any rounds left over that could be used towards the jamstealers at Head Office?