PDA

View Full Version : SERCO have competiton !!!

Fanny Adams
24th Feb 2001, 02:56
One for the SERCO boys in the Middle East this. Last week there was an ad in Flight International from a company called THALES looking for staff for contract ATC work. On enquiring earlier this week I have had a written reply saying they are going after 3 airfields in the UAE with Abu Dhabi mentioned as one.

1) Is the UAE contract up for renewel and if so when ??

2) Any idea which airfields THALES are going after ??

3) Anyone on here employed outside UK for THALES ??

BombBay
24th Feb 2001, 03:02
Thales used to be Thomson CSF, I've no reason to suspect that they are any better or any worse than any other contractor, but that's all they are.
Seeking to make money in the same envionment that SERCO, Lockheed, et al, do.
Interestingly, they were originally tasked to staff Manston Airport, but allegedly, couldn't come up with the goods, and were dropped.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Late Landing
25th Feb 2001, 02:36
It is probably that the Abu Dhabi domestic contract (APP/ADC at Abu Dhabi and Al Ain airports) is coming up for renwal this year. Thompsons went through a similar exercise two years ago. They have to show the Abu Dhabi authorities that will have staff to run the contract if they are suscessful with their bid. However, SERCo are so well established in the area that it would take a major upset for them to be ousted. So saying it probably wouldn't hurt applying - it is a very fickle part of the world.

------------------
My views are personal and DEFINITELY don't reflect those of my employer!

Standard_Departure
25th Feb 2001, 12:25
Point or order!

For what it is worth, the Abu Dhabi Airports contract (OMAA + OMAL) is now 1 year OVERDUE on the renewal. Late Landing is correct though, you just never really know why these "stressfull" delays happen.

SID

[This message has been edited by Standard_Departure (edited 25 February 2001).]

yakkity
25th Feb 2001, 12:28
RUMOUR and i say again Rumour.
The French Ambassador has actually approached the Abu Dhabi DCA. They have also included a training and Equipment package in their bid. Plus the fact that they also have a National partner seems to push the bid their way.
Serco have done nothing over the years except milk the contract for all they can.No local partner as they are a consultancy (not that the people are getting paid at those rates thought), So they need one individual with a Uni. Degree to sign the contract. (watch out now P.F. guess the Rumbles clone will act if it is not signed).
Serco seem to think that they are rock solid in the Middle East , but just recentley they have lost the engineering side to both the Sharjah and Ras Al Khaima contracts. Even the RAK SATCO has been "moved" because he upset the customer.
Yes, SeRCO are threatened this time!

yakkity
25th Feb 2001, 12:34
Fanny Adams ,
The Airfields mentioned would be Bateen , Abu Dhabi and Al Ain , all under the Abu Dhabi contract as they all fall in the same Emirate.

Standard_Departure
25th Feb 2001, 16:13
Of course the Bateen Tower is being taken over by the military, maybe the three airports could be the 2 from the Abu Dhabi contract, and another, hmm lets see, Sharjah..maybe, Ras al Khaimah... maybe, Dubai....maybe?

SID

EarlyGo
26th Feb 2001, 19:43
Without giving too much away, how does pay for such contract work compare with NATS, for both ATCOs and ATCAs?

EG

Echo Oscar
2nd Mar 2001, 20:29
And Met and Engineers???? Their ad was for the whole package. Not a lot of info around, though.