PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Approach Procedural Control - Rudloe

Bernard Black
6th Dec 2004, 17:29
Hi all, wonder if someone is able to dash off a quick response to this.

I'm moving jobs shortly, and the new unit is putting me through the approach procedural course at Rudloe at the end of Feb. I'm ex-NATS, so all of my previous experience has been radar-based - as a result I am looking at procedural control for the first time.

The plan was for me to attend the Pre-Approach course at Rudloe in January, followed by a few weeks of self-study ahead of the rating course itself. That has apparantly changed, and it looks like I will be arriving at the new unit only days before I start on the APP course, with no prior information (except for my own study based on MATS 1, of course). :rolleyes:

I believe that the Pre-App is a week-long course where course notes are given and theory and basics taught so that you can go away, get learning, and 'hit the ground running' at the start of the main 2 month course, although I could be wrong.

I'm looking for people's opinions on the importance of the Pre-Approach course. Lots of people have told me that the App course itself is short and intensive, so prepared for that - am I going to end up in a heap of it if I can't attend the Pre-App course? Would it be a wise move to try and find the money for it myself if that's the only way?

Many thanks!
BB.

niknak
6th Dec 2004, 18:09
Its true that the procedural approach course is very intensive and to someone who has always worked in a radar environment,
it must look like one of the dark arts, a pre approach course would be a very good idea.

I have no connection with Rudloe, but I do know the staff who started it all, and what they don't know about procedural approach isn't worth knowing, additionally, they are very focused on getting the student through.

I don't know what your circumstances are, but can you afford to pay for the course itself?
It would be an idea to speak to ASTAC directly, (She who must be obeyed - Pauline Gillet), explain that you're already booked onto the full course, and try and negotiate a price.
I don't think that they'd be prepared to sell you any notes etc, you really need the classroom environment to understand it properly.

Beware of anyone else who tries to sell you materials, there are a few unethical folk who think they know it all and act as consultants, their opinions and materials are worthless, and would probably confuse the hell out of you.

Use the MATS pt 1, learn all the separations and definitions in advance, and perhaps try and spend as much time as possible at a unit which does a lot of procedural approach, they would give you some invaluable pointers.

All the best.:ok:

Spitoon
7th Dec 2004, 09:14
Can't comment on the courses that are around today but good luck however it pans out for you.

As niknak says, approach is a bit of a dark art but once you understand what it's all about it's simply a case of applying whatever rule sorts out the situation best.

I don't know whether your new unit has radar or not but I would suggest trying to get in touch with someone at a similar unit (i.e. non-radar or one where approach is a sort of radar/procedural hybrid) and getting a feel for the way things work.

ItchyFeet2
8th Dec 2004, 03:37
I can't comment on the pre-approach course, but I can say that Rudloe is an excellent college. I was on a course there two years ago and I found them very professional, knowledgeable and very very motivated in getting the students to perform well.

Good luck!:ok:

Bernard Black
8th Dec 2004, 08:12
Many thanks for all comments. Will certainly make efforts to get some experience in ahead of the course, and look forward to getting there!

Now, some bookwork required... :*

BB

Barnaby the Bear
8th Dec 2004, 21:19
Try to get on the pre course. But above all, learn and understand 'seperation standards' backwards. If you can do that, you will be a huge step ahead.
Good luck