PDA

View Full Version : Hover autos

nmai123456789
6th Dec 2004, 16:10
just checkin out how many people can do a hover auto?
i done me first one in a h369 yesterday.
there simble but how many actualy no how to do them?
i only have 40 house up and dont even have a ppl so they cant be hard but the amount of people who dont actualy no how to do them and roll there heli or chop the tail is:mad: huge

Giovanni Cento Nove
6th Dec 2004, 16:55
Do you mean a power failure in the hover? i.e. In Ground Effect.

If you would have thought about it the aircraft does not enter into autorotation. The aircraft just descends with decaying rotor RPM and you just maintain control. Pretty simple really. BTW just closing the throttle is nowhere near the same as an engine failure. The FCU can only decelerate at a certain rate to avoid flameout.

Download "Unrealistic Practice Autorotations" from here (http://safecopter.arc.nasa.gov/Pages/Columns/RayProuty/ColPrty.html)

Giovanni Cento Nove
6th Dec 2004, 17:19
Not if it's a H369. 269 maybe unless its a 269D model (330).

HOSS 1
6th Dec 2004, 17:23
Yep, turbine. My bad. Misread it.

Hoss.

Flingwing207
6th Dec 2004, 19:51
AFAIK, most helicopters, when hovering at their recommended hover height, will make an acceptable landing on hard ground even if the pilot just sits like a statue - certainly the 300CB and R22 will do so (I've demonstrated it), and I've been a passenger in a 206 for the same demo.

The most important things to keep from breaking the helicopter are to avoid ANY backward movement, and to limit as much as possible the yaw and sideways drift, although on a hard surface the yaw is not particularly dangerous. Finally, if you raise the collective too soon or rapidly, you will actually gain altitude (or not descend), then there you are with no RRPM and up in the air, and that can be a real bummer, because the helicopter just falls with nothing to cushion the landing. Crunch.

So, "pedal" (for yaw), "settle" (let the helicopter descend), "pull" (smoothly raise the collective to cushion the last 1' of descent). A little lateral cyclic to keep the helicopter from drifting sideways is icing on the cake!

XT244
6th Dec 2004, 20:11
With my B47G3B1 is this exercise a dream.

Hover at 2 feet above Ground.
Close trottle.
Rise a litte bit collective and a little bit right pedal.
All you have to do now is: wait, wait, wait :D ........

Regards

md 600 driver
6th Dec 2004, 20:18
xt244

cant you also lift the lever lift up climb 6 foot turn round and land or is this a myth
steve xx382 ,xz299,xw295.

XT244
6th Dec 2004, 20:33
md 600 driver

With Hover Auto ..... I don’t no ....:confused:

Possible is:
A normal autorotation with rpm at top green arc. Touch the ground, lift again and RIGHT 180 deg. turn with a smooth landing.
If you handle it's perfect, the rpm is at the lower green arc just the skids has contact.

That’s no myth. Try it ... :D

Regards

sparks and stuff
6th Dec 2004, 20:39
Have witnessed a 212 that was on wrong heading pick up and re position using only blade inertia!

XT244
6th Dec 2004, 20:44
"and re position using only blade inertia!"

You mean with empty weight? ;)

autosync
6th Dec 2004, 21:30
If you are only now doing hover autos after 40 hours, either you may want to think about doing something other then flying helicopters or, find a new instructor.

Sir HC
7th Dec 2004, 06:55
Nmai, I have just read your three posts. This is a forum for Professional pilots, I get the impression you are neither. I am sure that almost everyone on here is quite likely have more piloting ability in their little finger than you will ever have. Until you have grown up a bit, and prehaps learnt to spell, do not come on here and insult these people's intelligence

HC.

helicopter-redeye
7th Dec 2004, 08:15
It's just possible he was taking the P *** y'know

Vfrpilotpb
7th Dec 2004, 10:17
Hope his readback is better than his mx
Vfr

B Sousa
7th Dec 2004, 11:22
Sir HC

"This is a forum for Professional Pilots"

Come on now. We know thats not true. Dont be so Testy, you didnt have to swear an Oath to register here... Lack of Education is one of the main reasons most of us ARE Helicopter Pilots instead of Brain Surgeons.
It could be someone was throwing some bait your way.......

DualDriver
7th Dec 2004, 11:47
In S.A, Engine Failure in the Hover gets handled in Ex 15 (emergencies) BEFORE initial solo (ex 16). The student usually have between 15 and 25 hours, NOT 40.

But as some have said, maybe this guy is just pulling the P......S out of all of us:hmm:

autosync
7th Dec 2004, 16:08
After reading nmai123456789 other posts, especially the one were he throws the teddies out of the pram at SirHC,
I take back my second part of advice and actually pity your instructor

Autosync:
either you may want to think about doing something other then flying helicopters or, find a new instructor

Hughes500
8th Dec 2004, 14:21
Didn't say what height you are doing them from

5 ft - easy
10 ft - ok
15 ft - think alot about it
25 ft - probably bent the undercarriage
50 ft - shortenend your spine
200 ft - phone the ambulance / undertaker

comedyjock
8th Dec 2004, 17:26
We practise Vertical Rejects up to 50ft at least once a year. Takes a little practise but with hydraulic undercarriage, safe and not damaging to the aircraft.