PDA

View Full Version : Can AG sell ATC on?

Spotnik
8th Apr 2001, 01:54
Just a (nightmarish) thought - now we have been bought by the Airline Group, is there anything to stop them selling ATC on to someone else? Just picture the scenario: a couple of years on when all the dust has settled they find out its all too difficult and expensive to run, (I suspect this will turn out to be true), would we find ourselves saying hello to serco again?

slurp
8th Apr 2001, 02:43
spotnik...the way things are going for SERCO (see Abu Dhabi posts),they might not be in the picture ...don't think the Government will allow a sell off like that anyway.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Apr 2001, 10:57
It's more nightmarish than you might realise... at my pre-retirement seminar it was pointed out that although legislation is in place to protect pensions for the first takeover, nothing has been considered for the situation is the group sells its holding on.. The new owner might well do some very naughty things..

Serco Stuffer
8th Apr 2001, 11:10
Naughty things? We can do that too!

Loki
8th Apr 2001, 16:34
Another nightmarish thought is the possibility that the government might sell off the rest of NATS just as soon as the dust has settled on the "first instalment"

Coast
8th Apr 2001, 18:22
"Cleared to land runway 06 left........will that be Visa or Master Card?"!!!

Spotnik
8th Apr 2001, 22:51
Considering the reality of the commercial marketplace that Airline Group can sell us on ... shouldn't we be redoubling our efforts to oppose PPP? It feels like we've bared our teeth at serco then rolled over and let our tummies get scratched by the govt/AG. We may live to regret this.

BEXIL160
8th Apr 2001, 23:19
....couldn't HMG sell their holding at any time?..

Well, yes. Thats why PPP is no different to the Privatisation of BT for example. Not too many years after the partial sell-off of BT (nobody mentioned PPP then, just "Privatisation") the government sold of it's Golden share.

There is nothing that I can see to stop them doing the same later / sooner, to NATS.

BEX

Vfrpilotpb
9th Apr 2001, 16:08
As an outsider looking in, I dont think it has been safe to sell in any case, but if the new owners include people like the Smiling Greek tyre kicker, and Richard the Virginial, when the needs comes for big spending , then it will be a case of "Watch this Space", beside's that Jaguar dont have any new models out for a few more year's so JP won't need to start looking to unload his Golden Shares till then, but for you chaps and Ladies I hope I am wrong!