PDA

View Full Version : United's transatlantic services

phil_2405
5th Dec 2004, 18:04
Hey, I am travelling with United Airlines in January LHR-JFK return. What is their in-flight service like? Can anyone recommend which seats to avoid/try and get in terms of legroom/comfort etc. I am travelling out on a B767 and returning on a B777.

Any tips on how to get an upgrade?!? :=

slim_slag
5th Dec 2004, 19:12
In flight service down the back nothing special, no significant difference between any other transatlantic carrier. Some days it's better than XX, sometimes worse. Have mixture of US and UK flight attendants so will get unpredictable cultural differences in service. Booze is free.

Where United are slightly better that the competion is their Economy Plus section which has maybe 8-10 rows over the wing section of the economy cabin. If you don't have 'status' you might get lucky and be put in those seats when you check in, they have an extra 6" approx of leg room and are good compared to the seats behind. Depends on the load really, the fuller the plane the better chance you have. If it's empty they will block seats out for their frequent fliers to have an empty seat next to them.

Ugrade to bus class without status is pretty unlikely, UA use their business cabin to reward their frequent fliers and without an upgrade certificate or status you will have a lot of others in front of you. Might get lucky of course, op-upgrades can come out of the blue for non-status pax, even on BA!:ok:

phil_2405
7th Dec 2004, 19:53
Our flights have now changed to a B777 both ways, fine by me!

exit.row.junkie
8th Dec 2004, 12:27
my favourite seat on UA's B777: 21H - it's on the aisle at the front of the r/h side of E+, immediately before the crew rest area. lots of leg room and your own adjustable vid screen. ace! ;)

failing that, 30A or 30H (the aisle exit row seats at the front of the main economy cabin) - again, bags of leg room (far more than you could want!) and your own screen. but these are next to the loos, so you can find a small (cross-legged!) gaggle of people in front of you getting tangled in your feet. but very handy for that quick dash before the seat-belt sign goes on for landing :cool:

kala87
8th Dec 2004, 17:04
I had a number of transatlantic flights on UA 777's and 767's between 1998 - 2003, all in the back apart from one upgrade to Business Class due to my original flight being cancelled.

I must say, I couldn't fault any aspect of their service, either at check-in or in the air. In flight meals in both classes were excellent, significantly better than BA. On a Washington - Mexico City flight we got excellent Mexican food in more quantity then even I could eat, in economy class.

Regarding UA vs AA, UA win hands down for me on virtually every aspect. Some of the worst airline food I have ever suffered was served on AA. I ask you, a Cheeseburger masquerading as a meal on LHR - LAX!!

exit.row.junkie
9th Dec 2004, 11:44
i have to say i think UA's catering has gone down in the last few years, though in the current climate that shouldn't be a huge surprise. but the second serving lhr->jfk in economy is poor: a ham+cheese roll, a bag of crisps (chips) and a chocolate bar. fat, salt and sugar in abundance, but nary a vitamin in sight, and you can whistle for fibre :sad:

but having said that, the english tea serving in biz class on the same route is peachy! :p

phil_2405
2nd Feb 2005, 20:51
I was fairly happy with United's inflight service in Economy...nothing to shout about particularly but it did the job!!

Only 2 problems:

1. On the return flight, we had to pay for alcoholic drinks (we didn't on the outward flight). Apparently the policy changed while we were away.

2. On both flights they were unable to show all the advertised movies for unknown reasons!! Esp annoying on the inbound flight because I had been looking forward to watching one film in particular!

On the whole though, good job United :D