PDA

View Full Version : Going all the way to the Top?

Tower Ranger
4th Dec 2004, 17:25
Has anyone ever worked in, or visited, a control tower where an internal lift comes right into the VCR or even comes up to VCR level ubstructing the view?

spekesoftly
4th Dec 2004, 18:12
The old Control Tower (http://www.airfield-research-group.co.uk/Speke_Terminal-Tower_24.6.03_BHA.jpg) at Liverpool (Speke) Airport was served by a lift which exited directly into the VCR, and the lift shaft did obstruct the view to the north.

chiglet
4th Dec 2004, 18:33
Done it many a time :ok:
The "old" freight lift at Manch deposited you in the [old] Approach Room
watp,iktch

Whipping Boy's SATCO
4th Dec 2004, 19:20
No, never. Done all sorts: spiral staircases, glorified ladders, internal & external stairs, a converted water tower (Elvington) even one VCR at 6000ft amsl, 40 deg Celsius with a broken elevator subsituted by 139 steps . But never, ever, had a lift even halfway up (apart from a familiarisation trip to Heathrow).

5th Dec 2004, 09:52
Magic photo, thanks.....worked in it 1975-1980.
Even though well over half a century old, this VCR had disabled access.....anyone checked out our "modern" VCR's....most are illegal in this respect......despite recent legislation.
By the way....note vertical glass in VCR photo....traffic on approach at night seemed to be coming in on every runway simultaneously.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Dec 2004, 10:30
<<But never, ever, had a lift even halfway up (apart from a familiarisation trip to Heathrow)>>

Yes, but remember that us upper class controllers have all the comforts!!

Seriously.. my first ATC job back in the 60s might have been at Exeter (if I hadn't got into IAL) and do I recall that it was only possible to look out of 3 sides, the last being a wall? Whether it had a lift behind it I don't know.

Heathrow Tower has a "lift" actually in the VCR (or it did)... it's an electrically operated hoist hanging from the ceiling to enable Tels to move heavy equipment up from downstairs. It becomes a lift when it's clipped to the GMC man's chair and the appropriate button pressed. (All long, long ago - no time for antics nowadays! First bloke who did it to me went on to become a General Manager).

spekesoftly
5th Dec 2004, 10:40
Yes, but remember that us upper class controllers have all the comforts!!

Seem to recall that the final flight of steps into the LL VCR was rather like a gymnasium climbing frame! :p

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Dec 2004, 11:22
<<Seem to recall that the final flight of steps into the LL VCR was rather like a gymnasium climbing frame!>>

Right - quite steep too! And when a female Royal Personage visited, they posted a very senior policeman at the foot of those stairs who instructed staff "Please avert your gaze, sir" as Modom climbed ahead of them!!!!

slotbuster
5th Dec 2004, 12:21
Great photo of Speke, wonderful Art Deco architecture for what's fundamentally a utility building.

They don't make 'em like that any more!

TheOddOne
5th Dec 2004, 13:38
HD,
First bloke who did it to me went on to become a General Manager).

That wasn't the same bloke who was on the night the Chippie landed on the North side, was it?

TOO

spekesoftly
5th Dec 2004, 13:50
slotbuster,

Glad you liked it. After standing empty and unused for about 20 years, that "utility building" is now a 4 star hotel. The restoration and sympathetic conversion work was a huge undertaking, and the Art Deco theme continues with the interior decor, and furnishings.

They don't make 'em like that any more!

Absolutely! Its replacement can be seen to right of the picture here (http://www.nwan.co.uk/fromtwr3.jpg).

And the latest one here (http://www.nwan.co.uk/tower.html).

Thanks to all for your kind words, but I must mention that none of the photographic work is mine.

Standard Noise
5th Dec 2004, 15:13
TR - now that's an interesting question, why would you be asking that, I wonder?:rolleyes:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Dec 2004, 15:30
<<That wasn't the same bloke who was on the night the Chippie landed on the North side, was it? >>

Not sure, my watch wasn't on. He's retired now and "working" again a long way south..

boynefly
5th Dec 2004, 15:53
Seem to remember the old Speke lift needed a special access code to get you to the Executive Bedroom Level as well so Joe Public couldn't get there?

Tower Ranger
5th Dec 2004, 16:17
Spekesoftly - Thanks for the photo it`s been well restored.

SN - I`ll mail you as I`m going to make a special effort this week not to say what everyone else is thinking in the vain hope that someone else might speak up. Don`t think you, me or the Doc are ever gonna get our "Yes Men" badges!!