22nd Feb 2001, 17:29
Hi Guys,

Background:

Age 27
Licence: ATPL (A)
Employed: Yes - Airline Jet
Salary: £48,000

Problem:

New challenge required. ATC always intrigued me since Day 1 of my flying days as much as flying.

I have now completed the NATS application form read the books (Apart from Ian Allan cant find that author anywhere - any info)

Spent 4 Full days sitting in at a unit in tower/GMC/director. Decided I want to give it a go.

Problem being huge Mortgage, Wife, Kids and currently enjoy a good salary.

I know this should be the last point but it is a major factor in whether this transition is possible. The salary paid during course training is what?

Kind Regards

I.

Spoonbill
22nd Feb 2001, 17:40
email me if you want some more info, much of which is disscussed fairly regularly on the site.

Warped Factor
23rd Feb 2001, 03:13
As a student atco, from 1st April on entry £17,272 and rising to £18,124 after passing the radar rating.

WF.

Dog On Wheels
23rd Feb 2001, 05:44
Also £100 per week tax-free accomodation allowance. Makes a difference, I can tell you.

WF> Do present SATC's get that pay rate after 1 April too?

OrsonCart
23rd Feb 2001, 14:42
Stay flying, you will never make up the 'lost' salary once you leave your current employment and slowly rise to the top of the respective ATCO salary scale, but if money is not the issue, controlling can be very rewarding.

eyeinthesky
23rd Feb 2001, 16:15
Think you might be a bit old! Can't remember what the age limit is now for external applications, but it used to be 26.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

Warped Factor
23rd Feb 2001, 16:39
Dog On Wheels,

As far as I'm aware you should, it's part of the two year pay deal negotiated last year.

eyeinthesky,

From the NATS web-site.....

To apply for the job of air traffic controller you need to be:

at least 18 and under the age of 30 years of age at the date of application. Applicants over the age of 26 may be considered if they have extensive relevant aviation experience, either as a Military Air Traffic Controller, Civil or Military Assistant or have Military/Commercial flying experience.

WF.

[This message has been edited by Warped Factor (edited 23 February 2001).]

G-BJOP
24th Feb 2001, 04:19
For info my application was accepted at age 28, with no real aviation background.

eyeinthesky
24th Feb 2001, 17:44
See also the advice elsewhere on this section under the title of "What are my chances?"

I stand (or sit) corrected on the age question http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

ProcATCO
26th Feb 2001, 22:48
I joined NATS in 1980 at the age of 31 after being Aircrew in the RAF (2500hrs). Dispensation was given in my case then. Would NATS do it now? You can only ask!!