PDA

View Full Version : LH Diverted to DUB with suspect package

st.elmo
3rd Dec 2004, 14:34
LH1402 from FRA has been diverted to DUB this afternoon after receiving information about a suspect package.

The aircraft is a 747 400 reg DABVZ and should be landing at 1535.

No more information yet.

hobie
3rd Dec 2004, 16:15
all safe and sound ......

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1203/planealert.html

:ok:

Sky_Captain
3rd Dec 2004, 17:01
I'm advised by friends in Dublin that the aircraft will not be searched until 02:30 GMT, which is the time the aircraft was supposed to arrive in the US

:confused:

hobie
3rd Dec 2004, 18:29
"not be searched until 02:30 GMT, which is the time the aircraft was supposed to arrive in the US"

Standard Practice and a very good procedure indeed :ok:

lead zeppelin
3rd Dec 2004, 20:48
Warning diverts U.S.-bound flight to Dublin
Friday, December 3, 2004 Posted: 1845 GMT (0245 HKT)

BERLIN, Germany (CNN) -- A flight headed from Frankfurt to the United States with nearly 400 people on board has been diverted to Dublin because of a security warning over a suspected device, airline officials said.

The Lufthansa flight left for Newark, New Jersey at 1230 GMT (7:30 a.m. ET), the airline said. The warning came two hours later, and the plane was diverted to Dublin, where it landed around 1530 GMT (10:30 a.m. ET), the airline said.

More than 370 passengers and about 20 crew members left the Boeing 747-400, which has been isolated at the airport, police in Dublin said.

Police said they will wait until 0200 GMT (9 p.m. ET) -- the time the plane was scheduled to arrive in Newark -- to search the plane.

They are concerned that a timed device could have been set to detonate before the plane would have landed in Newark.

CNN Producer Stephanie Halasz contributed to this report.

Golf Charlie Charlie
3rd Dec 2004, 21:10
<<<
Police said they will wait until 0200 GMT (9 p.m. ET) -- the time the plane was scheduled to arrive in Newark -- to search the plane
>>>

That can't be right. If it left at 12.30 GMT (07.30 EST), it would get to Newark about 20.30 GMT (15.30 EST). Say about 8 hours flight-time.

Flame
3rd Dec 2004, 21:50
For those interested, picture of it at Dublin here...

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=283195

hobie
4th Dec 2004, 10:17
13 1/2 hours planned flight time ??? :confused: :confused:

MarkD
4th Dec 2004, 13:23
question to those in the know:

if you are diverted for security reasons, do you have to pay the arrival airport landing fees or is it treated as a "force majeure"?

hobie
4th Dec 2004, 13:46
"if you are diverted for security reasons, do you have to pay the arrival airport landing fees or is it treated as a "force majeure"?"

...... and also, who pays for all the Security/Emergency costs?

TheOddOne
4th Dec 2004, 14:06
In our case, I believe, yes fees would be charged.

Like all other major UK airports, we pay the local Police for the work that they do; many millions a year. So, ultimately, it's all the other passengers using the airport who pay. This seems entirely correct to me; it's chance as to which individual a/c or pax. need help where, but taken overall over the years things should even out.

I just wish other means of mass transport were required to pay their way. If we demanded that of the railways, they'd shut tomorrow (or about 1922 actually!)

Cheers,
The Odd One

DUBXH
4th Dec 2004, 17:11
Good question... bit like when an engine catches fire on stand why not re-dock the bridge? :o)

TheOddOne
4th Dec 2004, 23:29
DUBXH

Once the bridge is off the a/c, you must assume the door is armed (for chute deployment). If there's a fire outside then the crew in the a/c will be using all available chutes away from the side on fire for evacuation. I don't think they'd have time for the bridge to be re-docked, then go through the process to ensure that it's safe to open the door inside the jetty head. If the slide goes off into the bridge head, apart from blocking the means of escape, it might well kill the despatcher driving the bridge.

Of course, when the bridge is already docked on the a/c, then it does form part of the means of escape from the a/c. The hood is there to make a fire seal, not to keep the rain out!

Cheers,
The Odd One

DUBXH
4th Dec 2004, 23:35
The Odd One - No need to brief me on the function of the bridge hood.... I am well aware of it and I am also aware of what procedure must be followed in the event of a fire on stand...... And for some very silly reason I thought I'd throw a bit of humor in.... I'll refrain from that next time

:o)

cormacshaw
5th Dec 2004, 18:37
If the a/c has a suspect package, ie, a bomb then why do the emergency services park right next to the a/c. Surely if the device then explodes, this would cause serious damage to the emergency vehicles close by and render them useless?
Fair point. However, if you are judging this by the linked picture above, I think the zoom lens makes the emergency vehicles seem much nearer than they are before and behind the aircraft. That said, there's a whole bunch of people at the top and bottom of the stairs and a couple of firepersons in just the right place to catch some shrapnel!

One assumes they know what they're doing.

Q: While the airport fire service is 'attending' an incident like this but just sitting and waiting with a full load of foam, water, etc still available, are airport ops affected?

DUBXH
5th Dec 2004, 19:20
Another fair point.. DUB are renound for going a tad OTT in emergency situations, now god forbid I am going to be blown off my stool for saying OTT and emergency in the same sentence but once a sitatuon has been asessed and is under control there seems to be a minimum stand down on units until the bitter end.... DUB has quite a well staffed and stocked up array of emergency services so it is unlikely that Airport ops would have been severly affected.

Astrodome
5th Dec 2004, 22:00
I just wish other means of mass transport were required to pay their way. If we demanded that of the railways, they'd shut tomorrow (or about 1922 actually!) Did you want to be a bit more specific?
For your information The UK railway Industry pays for its own Police force.

Your ill-informed comment would be better made towards the road haulage industry.

Turn It Off
6th Dec 2004, 00:21
Q: While the airport fire service is 'attending' an incident like this but just sitting and waiting with a full load of foam, water, etc still available, are airport ops affected?

I have not checked this with the proper manuals, word of mouth suggests that airport ops are not effected. As far as i am aware there is only a reduced RFF cat when Water or foam is deployed in the event of incident.

I stand to be corrected.

TIO

Edit for shocking spelling!

hobie
6th Dec 2004, 09:28
TIO, "I stand to be corrected"

edited to add - "TIO, your an honest guy!!!! " ;)

:ok: :ok:

Herp
6th Dec 2004, 14:17

Listening on Gnd freq at the time of the incident, I overheard an Ops vehicle telling the Ground Controller that there would be no change to the Crash Cat for the rest of the airport, despite the fact that it seemed every available fire vehicle was out on the taxiway with lights flashing.

Farrell
9th Dec 2004, 12:47
They'll never understand the Dub humour buddy......never! :(