PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances?

wannabe69
22nd Feb 2001, 00:38
Hi there...

I m 17.5 yrs old, taking my A-levels in June, got a PPL, good results in GCSEs and should get good results at A-Level.

What are my chances of getting through first stage or recruitment/selection?? I have absolutely no idea what my chances are..

Thank you for any comments whatsoever....

eyeinthesky
22nd Feb 2001, 01:55
Your chances sound as good as any. What you need to do is develop or show an interest in aviation and ATC in particular. If you have a good ability in spatial perception and can multi-task that will help. Academic results are not necessarily any guide. The fact that you have a PPL is a help, since you will already be familiar with the aviation world.

Do not underestimate, however, quite what is involved. If you get through the selection process including aptitude tests and interviews, you then have 12-18 months of training at the College of ATC in Bournemouth. This is continuous assessment (in name at least) and you may fail the course at any time. Assuming all this goes well, you then get posted to unit for validation training. Depending on the unit (from Airport to Control Centre)it can take up to another 3 years before you are validated and have a secure job. (As far as it is secure in the present climate.) Throughout this time you are subject to appraisal and criticism, and some people find that difficult to take.

That's the downside. On the plus side it's a challenging job in which you get instant results and job satisfaction. It's a job which you cannot possibly take home with you at the end of the day. Also as a student the money's pretty good.

Best of luck. :) :) :)

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

Spoonbill
22nd Feb 2001, 02:34
Eyeinthe sye just about sums it up.
The only thing I would add is, if you dont get through, don't give up.
You obviously have potential, and you'd do yourself no harm in applying to various airfields who dont retain NATS as their ATC provider, with a view to getting in the back door.
Equally, if you've got £4500 to blow on a PPL, then a further £?????, (note the 5 figure sum), on an ATPL, you are a good candidate for shared sponsership with the likes of KLM,BM, etc or even BA!
If you want to know more, email me. :)

wannabe69
23rd Feb 2001, 01:24
thanks for the input guys.

If i could afford the modular ATPL course i would go for like a shot, but money is just the thing...i do not have vast sums of money.!

I would like to pursue a career in ATC if i can and may even spend a lot of time there. I am dedicated, and somewhat, in two minds. one says pilot, the other says ATC. Pilot route is difficult, expensive but one hell of a reward at the end of it....

ATC is safer (no huge outlay) but again hard work. I really dont know what to do. time is what i need, to think and decide. i just wanted to know my chances with it all.

thanks again

NudgingSteel
23rd Feb 2001, 03:10
I'd agree with the comments above re: selection and training. It's hard, but achievable.

Sounds like you maybe always wanted to fly for a living and ATC is an acceptable 2nd choice? Don't worry, loads of ATCOs (including me) were / are the same. I can tell you, though, that having been an ATCO for a few years now, I absolutely love this job! I wouldn't change sides now for various reasons, the main one being that I'm having too good a time now.
PS Don't mention this to the boss when it's time to discuss pay rises.

Good luck in whichever route you decide to take!