PDA

View Full Version : ATC's with PPL's

makeapullup
2nd Dec 2004, 19:30
Just thought it would be interesting to find out, how many ATS providers include PPL's (private pilot license) as part of ATC training?

Loki
2nd Dec 2004, 20:23
Nats used to; in the halcyon days.....can`t remember when it stopped.

It`s licence BTW (at least in English English)

:hmm:

5milesbaby
2nd Dec 2004, 20:24
NATS (UK) used to years ago but now restrict it to 15 flying hours max, some of which aren't always completed due to the course length of 2 weeks mixed together with the great British weather :hmm:

ZRH
3rd Dec 2004, 10:28
The swiss used to sponsor their guys for 20 odd hours. Dont think anybody got a full licence though.
But that was all very long ago.........cost cutting etc etc etc

Spuds McKenzie
3rd Dec 2004, 11:03
Swisscontrol did in fact at some stage sponsor the PPL (did mine in '88).

Eva San
3rd Dec 2004, 13:46
The french administration pays for a ppl's formation for their ATCOs. When I went throught it, it was 45 hours (which was the minimum to obtain the equivalent of the ppl back in those days before the european private pilot licence, that was in 1998 !). Now with the Ppl, I don't know exactly how many hours you need but I guess they still pay for your full training.

Going through this formation is mandatory for Atcos but passing the test is not a must do . And after that, each year you receive some financial aid to fly the minimum of 12 hours to maintain your licence. And we keep our fingers crossed for it to continue that way...

Lon More
4th Dec 2004, 11:42
Eurocontrol never did, at one time they did a few hourds on a sim I believe, but for area contollers, esp. in the Upper Air Space, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I was lucky and got mine on A RAF Fying Scholarship.

Turn It Off
4th Dec 2004, 16:35
Is the NATS assisted flyign scheme still running?

TIO

LateLandingClearance
5th Dec 2004, 08:29
Nope, not the contribution towards regular flying anyway.

Another useful "see things from the other side" opportunity lost to the bean-counters. :rolleyes:

Whipping Boy's SATCO
5th Dec 2004, 09:28
Is the NATS assisted flyign scheme still running?

No, but the CAA one is still there. ;)