PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Airlines

Coast
18th Feb 2001, 22:10
Hi all (especially UKers)

I'm a controller in Toronto, Canada that needs to get to Harare, Zimbabwe in April. I was just wondering if any airlines (BAW or Air Zimbabwe) are friendly to us controller types; ie. they'd give me a deal or a Z-fare or something. Anyone with a contact or any information I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

yakkity
18th Feb 2001, 23:31
Why on Earth would you want to go to Zimbabwe in it's current state of flux!~!
To answer your query though..if you have or are a member of an association , try approaching the airline sconcerned through them. Air Zimbabwe can at times be controller friendly.
Good luck

Bright-Ling
19th Feb 2001, 00:52
Not sure I'd fly Air Zim. They are not the most reliable airline, in terms of serviceability and the fact that old E-ba-gum often 'uses' the aircraft at short notice for his own use!! (normally kicking pax off and routes direct to Switzerland).

The UKATTS (UK Air Traffic Controllers Travel Section) may allow you an affiliation and they can get you a confirmed British Airways seat for £350ish rtn. Trouble is that they are the best scheduled reliable service out of the UK to Harare and thus the flights are usually full - so S/by is tricky.

Either way, enjoy. They have no fuel, and the electricity is only on sporadically, as are the phone lines. Apart from that....!

Bright-Ling
19th Feb 2001, 00:58
...the country that is, not BA!!

Coast
19th Feb 2001, 19:27
Hey, hey..........
You're talking about my home land!! Actually it was still Rhodesia and a British colony when I was there. I just have to go back for a family wedding. ;)

Bright-Ling
19th Feb 2001, 19:47
Not from Umtali are you?!!?!?

fweeeeep
19th Feb 2001, 22:45
Hi there,

Most of the European Airlines fly to Johannesburg from Europe, you could consider that, South African Airways may be able to help you from Europe to JHB, then yo can take the SAA or Air Zim from JHB to HARARE. Also, SAA fly MIAMI to JHB, if you can get reduced flights to MIAMI from Toronto.

Coast, can you give me your email address?

fweeeeep

Coast
20th Feb 2001, 08:21
From Salisbury, PES and Plumtree schools.

fweeeeep you can get me at [email protected]

ock1f
20th Feb 2001, 14:35
Can't think why you'd want to go to S Africa.. The place is a dump, & in my experience the people are awful..