PDA

View Full Version : Virgin plane in emergency landing

Buster Hyman
2nd Dec 2004, 01:21
December 2, 2004 - 12:23PM

A Virgin Blue plane made an emergency landing at Sydney Airport today after a tyre burst on take off from Brisbane.

Airport officials today said none of the 142 passengers on flight DJ204 were endangered as a result of the incident.

The plane landed in Sydney "without incident" about 7.45am (AEDT), a Sydney Airports Corporation spokeswoman said.

Passengers were bussed from the runway to the airport terminal.

Mechanics were still inspecting the aircraft late this morning to find the cause.

Virgin Blue spokeswoman Amanda Bolger said tyre burst on take off, something that happened from time to time.

"They landed in Sydney ... and then got the aircraft towed (from where it stopped) so it could have engineering inspection," she said.

Ms Bolger said aircraft were designed to cope with landing with one flat tyre.

"It's a standard procedure for pilots. They go through their checklist, land and then hand it over to engineers for an inspection," she said.

"One tyre blown is not a major issue."

My Bold
:rolleyes:

TIMMEEEE
2nd Dec 2004, 01:52
Sounds like a job well done.

I remember some years ago both QF and AN 737-300/400's were having an inordinate number of tyre blowouts.
It turned out after investigation that the number of times tyres were re-treaded was reduced dramatically.

Hopefully the media will be able to contain themselves on this occasion!

Kaptin M
2nd Dec 2004, 02:08
"It's a standard procedure for pilots. They go through their checklist, land and then hand it over to engineers for an inspection," she said. And which particular checklist might that one be, Ms Bolger?

One tyre blown is not a major issueI wonder how many tyres she's blown :E

Mr.Buzzy
2nd Dec 2004, 02:25
Kaptin M
There is guidance in the Flight Crew Training Manual, a document available to crews in flight at VB Im told.
Ms. Bolger does a wonderful job at describing otherwise technical matters in terms that a newspaper and Joe Public can digest. Hence her position in PR.
I suppose you would give a much more accurate ( read anal and boring to the public ) description of todays event?

bbbbzbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbzbbzzzzzzzzzzzbzzzzzzzzzz

Cornholeeo
2nd Dec 2004, 02:36
From the SMH:She says aircraft are designed to land with a flat tyre. Hahahaaaa......... What's the point of that. It's not an airbus. Aircraft were designed to land with all the tyres inflated ever since Pontius was a fat bastard and don't you go saying otherwise, Miss Hugnkiss.

Buzzy your use of the word "wonderful" makes me feel all warm and gooey.

:confused:

:*

:zzz:

Kaptin M
2nd Dec 2004, 02:47
Okay, here's MY attempt, Mr Buzzy.

VIRGIN PILOTS SURVIVE BLOW JOB

Two Virgin Blue pilots wrested their high speed tube from a fate possibly worth than Death, when they discovered one of the six rubbers that protect them from getting their @sses grazed on the asphalt, had blown.
It is believed this is the first time Virgin's tyres have been blown in Brisbane.

"One tyre blown is not a major issue.", said Kaptin M, "but when the entire aircraft demands it, it's a BIG job!"
"Fortunately pilots are trained for things like blown tires, engine failures, birds through the windscreen, inflight fires, and explosive decompressions. It's a standard procedure for pilots. They go through their checklist, land and then hand it over to engineers for an inspection." he said.

Cornholeeo
2nd Dec 2004, 02:59
Oh really........ :rolleyes: And what's your procedure for when a bird goes through the windscreen?

Duck?

:*

Duff Man
2nd Dec 2004, 04:21
Without necessarily relating to this specific accident, can somebody answer: does a B737-800 pilot know (through a systems indication) if a tyre has burst, during takeoff, if the information doesn't get provided by a third party?

And what about a B767-300?

Thanks,
Duff

Prop's ????
2nd Dec 2004, 04:26
Sorry if I sound like a dunce, but this thread could be put to good use.

I keeping reading that we have bad reporters, PR people that just say anything they see fit.

We all know this, and it is becoming a waste of time.

Why don’t we use this site as a point of discussion on the incident?

I’m sure it has happened before, and there may be a few good points or lessons to be taken from an incident like this one.

Sunfish
2nd Dec 2004, 06:08
Corny, you said:

" Aircraft were designed to land with all the tyres inflated ever since Pontius was a fat bastard and don't you go saying otherwise, Miss Hugnkiss."

I reckon thats not a bad translation of the technical situation by Miss Huggnkiss.

The technical situation is something like there is a design safety factor on tyre load of at least two. Sure the other tyre will have been overstressed and scrapped, maybe the wheels as well. I'm pretty sure the axle and car (not on a 737?) are designed to handle this situation without deformation. Its not exactly an unknown or unusual hazard.

Could a real engineer please either contradict or elucidate further?

Mr.Buzzy
2nd Dec 2004, 06:26
Very good Cornhole!
Warm n Fuzzy from Mr. Buzzy! I like it..... I like it a lot! In fact I may just use it as my signoff!

bbbbbzzzzzzzzzbzbzbzbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbzzzzzzzzzz

Cornholeeo
2nd Dec 2004, 06:35
I'm pretty sure the axle and car http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/pink.gif

Did you mean "truck"???

Leave the aviation stuff to the aviators, Sunfish........

PS: Mr Buzzy please stick with "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, etc". Much more obnoxious and amusing.

NAMD
2nd Dec 2004, 06:45
Sunfish: Both wheels removed and Quarantined. Inspect gear for damage, inspect rest of plane for skid marks and dents. Whether it be a nose or main, there's usually dents in something if it's come apart. If all looks good, launch it!

criticalmass
2nd Dec 2004, 06:48
According to Chris Brady's excellent 737 Information Site, the 737-NG models have a pin fitted to the undercarriage housing which detects loose tread on the maingear tyres at gear retraction and presumably give an indication to the flight crew.

The pin is supposed to cause the gear to extend again and can only be reset on the ground by engineering staff.

Presumably a Ppruner with access to VB engineering may be able to shed further light on how the crew became aware of the problem.

Alert ATCO in the tower may also have noticed something abnormal, got the binocs out and advised said crew. Would be a pretty fine observation though, especially at busy times.

Duff Man
2nd Dec 2004, 07:13
criticalmass, I suspect the crew weren't aware of the problem until well into cruise. After the tyre was found/noticed, up to five aircraft were informed by ATC of the possibility. It wasn't until the remants were identified as belonging to a b737-800 that this crew were sure. Before that at least one other aircraft (b767) had requested emergency services on standby.

MrApproach
2nd Dec 2004, 08:59
I heard that a pilot noticed the rubber when taking off from BNE, Tower spotted it through binoculars and safety officer removed the bits within ten minutes and said it was from a big aircraft. Six aircraft were advised through ATC before engineers recognised it as a -800 main wheel tread. That left two, one on its way to MEL and VB holding en-route to SYD.

Flight Detent
2nd Dec 2004, 10:51
On the 737NG there is a fitting in the entrance to each main wheel well that, when disturbed by a shredded tyre trying to pass, will shut off retract hydraulic pressure to that gear (only), and that gear will free fall back to the extended position.
And there it will remain until the fitting is replaced on the ground.

Its purpose is to protect all the componentary within the main wheel well area.

Cheers :suspect:

Buster Hyman
2nd Dec 2004, 11:15
inspect rest of plane for skid marks and dents
I guess you'd start in the cabin then?http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-002.gif

wirgin blew
2nd Dec 2004, 12:35
And in other news today, "firemen rescue cat stuck up in tree"

YAWN

Dont the press have something other than
a blown tire to report.
Dont get me wrong Im sure you pilot types love chewing over this one in the the sim but really wouldnt the SLF be more concerned if they had have run out of cheese and crackers.

Cornholeeo
2nd Dec 2004, 13:10
yep......................

HANOI
2nd Dec 2004, 22:27
Cornholeeo

You unjustly accuse Wirraway, elsewhere, of wasting bandwith.
You are certainly doing a sterling job in that regard.

Kaptin M
2nd Dec 2004, 23:16
Are you a frustrated, wannabe moderator, HANOI.
The vast majority of your posts to date add nothing to the topic under discussion, but criticise/abuse other contributors.

And I happen to agree with wirgin blew and cakehole - it really is a slow news day, when the press needs to add the term "Emergency landing" to an event in which there were no injuries sustained, nor any serious damage to the aircraft.

HANOI
2nd Dec 2004, 23:42
So , does there have to be injuries sustained or serious damage to an aircraft before it can be described as an emergency landing ?. ( In this case it was not an emergency ).
And I think it's a case of Pot and Kettle in regard to criticism/abuse. Your last post to 'Prospector' in the 'Mt Erebus' thread was contemptible.

Duff Man
2nd Dec 2004, 23:46
Flight Detent, thanks for your answer. I suppose the tyre came clean off, so there were no "shreds" to trigger that wheel well device ... the wheel retracted normally with no indication to the crew.

Kaptin, sure it was a slow news day, but it was still an emergency landing: the crew declared an emergency, local standby services attended, pax were instructed to brace :uhoh: and the aircraft remained disabled on the runway (16R during morning peak). The landing was accomplished safely but there must have been a possibility the crew would not maintain directional control.

Ultralights
3rd Dec 2004, 09:12
did anyone read todays Daily Telegraph??

simply unbelievable!

Direct quote. "Some passengers said they heard a "popping" noise as the plane took off from brisbane. "i was sitting right above the wingas the plane took off and i heard a big "pop", looked out and noticed one of the tyres was flat. I told the stewardess about it but they didnt say anything about it to the rest of the pax till we landed in syd"

Hmmmmm. i am quite prepared to say the "popping sound was the gear reaching its fully retracted position, and how on earth do you see the gear from an Overwing window? or any window for that matter??

anotehr pax wanted their 5 mins of fame!

Sperm Bank
3rd Dec 2004, 22:50
Duff, the alternate brakes stop the tyre from spinning immediately after lift off. If the alternate brakes somehow fail the spinning tyre shreds will then hopefully hit and snap the pressure tit allowing the gear to free fall to the down and locked position.

BundyBlack
3rd Dec 2004, 22:55
Wasn't there another blown tyre ex PH for BN a short while back? What is the expected rate for this occurance? :8

Macrohard
4th Dec 2004, 05:49
And they've had another blown tyre.

Taxiied past a -800 stranded on twy B Northbound in Syd this afternoon around 3pm local. Don't know any other details.:uhoh:

DDG
4th Dec 2004, 06:43
TODAYS EFFORT.
DJ423 VH-VOH BOUND FOR PERTH WAS TAXIING ALONG TAXIWAY "C" PASSING THE TOWER WHEN THE TOWER ADVISED THE CAPTAIN THAT A TYRE ON THE R/H MAIN LANDING GEAR HAD BURST,A/C TURNED RIGHT ONTO "B10",THEN RIGHT ONTO 'B",WAS MET BY SAFETY OFFICERS AND RFFS,RFFS ADVISED CAPTAIN THAT THE OTHER TYRE ON THAT GEAR APPEARED TO BE DEFLATING.CAPTAIN DECIDED TO WAIT FOR ENGINEERING.
ENGINEERING FOUND #2 TYRE BURST.#1 TYRE WAS STILL INTACT BUT WAS REPLACED DUE TO BEING OVERSTRESSED.
#1 & #2 TYRE ASSY`S REPLACED ON TAXIWAY.NIL OTHER DAMAGE FOUND.
MEANWHILE ALL PAX WERE TRANSFERRED TO A BUS AND TAKEN BACK TO THE TERMINAL.
AIRCRAFT WAS TOWED BACK TO THE TERMINAL BY 1610 LOCAL TIME.

APPEARS VIRGIN MAY HAVE A QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE WITH TYRES,DON`T KNOW WHO DOES THEIR RETREADS.

Ultralights
4th Dec 2004, 20:49
im no tyre expert, but could it consistant overinflation that causes bursting? i always thought a bad retread would just delaminate still leaving the tyre inflated, i have seen hundreds of aircraft at SYD with pieces of retread embedded in wing to body panels!

NAMD
5th Dec 2004, 00:22
Ultralights: No. For one thing, you don't over inflate them. They're checked cold each night and inflated to the AMM spec. Considering the Over Pressure relief valve operates at 375- 450 psi (AMM 32-45-00), I don't think this is a problem.
For all we know it may not be tryes, it could well be dodgey over pressure plugs, thermal fuses or valve stems, although tyres do seem the likely culprit. I'd personally (after inspection of course)put it down to chance.

Spotlight
5th Dec 2004, 01:30
Surprised no one has mentioned the common cause of tyre blowouts. Excessive heat build up of the walls due to side loads.