PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Medicals.

drop now now now!
3rd Apr 2001, 16:11
I know this is a forum for ATCOs not MOs but does anyone know what the policy is on Migraine sufferers being able to gain/retain the required ATCO med cat?

Vlad the Impaler
4th Apr 2001, 00:42
Don't know exactly what the score is but I know they are extremely worried about anything that can cause sudden incapacitation and I belive migraines are pretty much at the top of the list. Best way to find out is to get hold of somebody at the aeromedical lot at aviation house, gatwick. I think the ATCO doc is Sheila Stork. If anybody will know, it is they. Good luck. V

drop now now now!
4th Apr 2001, 03:21
Thanks Vlad.

It's not for me, you understand, it's for someone else I know!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Apr 2001, 11:21
I've worked for at least 20 years with several ATCOs who suffer from migraine so it doesn't appear to be a major problem...

Rad1
4th Apr 2001, 21:44
Ah, but did they own up to it at the medical?

Loki
4th Apr 2001, 22:07
Somebody I know owned up to migraine problems once, and it caused all sorts of problems. Therefore, I keep quiet.

Flybywyre
4th Apr 2001, 23:57
Good advice from Loki...if it's not too late.

drop now now now!
5th Apr 2001, 22:09
Thanks for the advice everyone!
That's pretty much what I thought. Apparently "my friend" has had them previously but they aren't too frequent and it's possible to cope with them, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem....but you know what these medical types are like!!

Hairy Growler
8th Apr 2001, 03:22
I have suffered incresingly from migraines. Every time I go sick with one I clearly put it down on the sick form. I own up to it at medicals. No mention of it has ever been made. Look at it this way, if you own up to it, and they decide to do something about it, then you might end up getting some help sorting the problem out (apparently most are due to an allergy to something). I wish someone would help me, they bloody well hurt!! Honesty is the best policy. How would you feel if you covered it up and ended up banging two jets together because you weren't concentrating on the job in hand?