View Full Version : Are radios for speaking on?

Bernie
17th Feb 2001, 23:04
What defines a radio as mentioned in section 19 of the international flight plan? SAR people don't know, aircraft operators don't know, how about ATC?

Not sexy I know, but its stumped every one I've talked to so far.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Feb 2001, 12:31
Bernie.. I haven't seen a flight plan form for about 30 years.. what does section 19 refer to?

Bernie
18th Feb 2001, 18:18
Sorry guys, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Section 19 is emergency/survival equipment carried on the aircraft in question. It is only transmitted in the event of an accident or other cicumstance where the saftey of the aircraft is in doubt. I just thought it may be nice to be able to give the relevant authorities some pukka gen on exactly what to expect when thay come looking for us.

BTB.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Feb 2001, 19:59
"Radio" in this case obviously refers to some sort of transmitting gear. I don't know much about SARBE (?) beacons but imagine they would come in this category as would a battery power airband tcvr.

Bright-Ling
18th Feb 2001, 20:41
From the RAF FIH.......

"Item 19: Survival Equipment

20. Emergency and Survival Eqpt:
R/ (Radio)

Cross out U if UHF on 243.0 Mhz is NOT available
Cross out V if VHF on 121.5 Mhz is NOT available

This is bracketed with the caveat-

Portable radios NOT part of the lifejacket

and finally

Cross out E if Emergency Locator Beacon Aircraft (ELBA) is NOT available.

I hope that:

(a) This helps
(b) You never need it!

-------------------------------------------
Now off to watch paint dry......zzzzzzzz!

Bernie
19th Feb 2001, 03:20
Thanks both. Gathered as much from FIH, DoD docs, Canadian mil books, AICs etc all of which use similar words. The question is what is required to be transmitted on the said frequencies? Does the term 'radio' imply a voice capability or beacon or both or neither? If voice is needed most of us don't have the capability! Nice for the SAR boys to know I would guess!

BTB

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Feb 2001, 12:44
If you're not going to use voice on a radio Bernie what are you going to use? I speak CW but not many do nowadays. 'spose you could try FAXing the Nimrod??

Bright-Ling
19th Feb 2001, 15:37
If you have voice - talk!

If not - bleep lots (...---... would be handy!!!!!)

So........as clear as you are on this one matey!

Doesn't really matter, as long as you have something

Zarg
24th Feb 2001, 05:55
Bernie: As a former ATC and a current SAR officer, here is my two bob's worth (10 cents?) from the Antipodes!

The Australian Domestic and International Flight Plans carry the same information and the INTENT is to specify the TYPE of Emergency Beacon carried in the aircraft.

121.5/243 Mhz, OR 121.5Mhz only, OR 243Mhz (military) only. Normally signal only, no speech, but some of them have the ability to have a digitally encrypted call-sign or registration embedded in the signal. Some can be coupled to or include a GPS derived position to assist SAR.

The COSPAS/SARSAT satellite system can pick up these signals and download a position accurate to about 20Km. However, 121.5/243Mhz is being replaced by a 406Mhz beacon which gives an accurate position to within 5km. These beacons also have a hex code which identifies the owner.

Here in Australia, if we have a satellite position and/or aircraft hearing a distress signal, we use a DF equipped fixed-wing aircraft or helicopter to home on the signal.

Ships use EPIRBs, aircraft use ELTs and hikers and downed military aircrew use PLBs. All basically the same thing. 9 out of 10 alerts are false alarms but the others lead to saved lives!

May you never need yours, but ALWAYS carry one!

Here endeth the lesson, the rest of you can wake up now and resume watching the grass grow!

------------------
Be CAREFUL out there!

Numpo-Nigit
24th Feb 2001, 23:43
HD

You might be surprised how many speak CW !!!!!!