PDA

View Full Version : Where in or near London ...

Jellied Eels
30th Nov 2004, 11:26
... experiences least aircraft noise?

No comment
30th Nov 2004, 11:35
Bank Undground Station? Never heard an aircraft there....

Gonzo
30th Nov 2004, 11:37
You don't really hear aircraft inside the Heathrow Control Tower....... Good view though. :}

Jellied Eels
30th Nov 2004, 13:07
Both logical answers, but not 100% helpful. Looking to move, and haven't seen many properties in either location.

East of Thames Barrier looks clear, but don't want to live in Thamesmead or Ilford. South, it looks like Gatwick runs into Heathrow in terms of flight'paths'. Might be some gaps tho.

North, I haven't checked out. My nice map showing typical day of Westerly ops shows north of Enfield is clearish.

West, it looks like the best bet is either side the ILSs - Harrow, Ewell look like they avoid easterly ops take-off as well.

Arkady
30th Nov 2004, 13:10
Staines is pretty good, low heavy departures making a left turn toward Dover notwithstanding.

Jellied Eels
30th Nov 2004, 13:21
BTW, no offence to ATC guys, who deserve huge respect for the job they do. Just that aircraft noise drives me bananas.

Jerricho
30th Nov 2004, 14:12
I used to live in Harrow on the Hill, and while you don't get much LL stuff (not unless it's all gone pear-shaped), Northolt is just down the road. But those biz-jets don't make much noise.

pax britanica
30th Nov 2004, 19:13
As earlier post said Staines isn't bad and Ashford just east of Staines id even better as it is inside the turns for easterly deaprtures when on westerlies and westerly departues when on easterlies-if you follow

Kingston is also good but not Richmond or Twickenham

South London has most LHR inbounds too high to notice now Concorde is gone

Few places in the general more central City area itself are free from Heathrow noise except when LHR on easterlies. However unless you live on the extended centre lines for the westerly runways it isnt really a problem given the general level of noise in London. Easterly departures do not route over anywhere that can be called central. However the landing traffic can be noisy and I was astonished this summer when visiting a friend at how intrusive the approach noise was in Clapham a good 10 miles from LHR
Good luck