PDA

View Full Version : Serco -Abu Dhabi, 3 months notice

Standard_Departure
2nd Apr 2001, 20:09
Hello all,

Serco staff (most) at Abu Dhabi (and Al Ain) have recieved 3 months notice. Some (4) have been offered (ATC) posts at Dubai, others are not so lucky.

Any related information available ?

SID

The Fat Controller
2nd Apr 2001, 20:25
Could someone clarify the situation out there please. Is it the airfield only contract that has gone or the Area side as well ??

------------------
FATCO

Standard_Departure
2nd Apr 2001, 21:10
Sorry, it appears as though my initial understanding was "just a little" out.

All the Serco Staff on the Abu Dhabi (airports, which includes Al Ain but not the ACC) contract have been given notice, EXCEPT the ATC's. The ATC's have been told that Serco will "try" and get them positions elsewhere.

A serious attmept to help the staff ? or a means to make it difficult for the next contractor to fill positions? I do not know.....

Fly Through
2nd Apr 2001, 22:53
The exact wording to Atco's is "....an alternative ATCO position will be offered to you with the company. Furthermore, if the offer of alternative employment is not available at that time, Serco will continue your employment on your current salary until such time as the offer materializes." Seems fair enough to me.

The company line is that the DCA have still not informed Serco of their decision so Serco are initializing the pull out.

Considering we leave in 3 months, it's strange that Thales haven't been seen about the place, yet. They better move quick if they're hoping to entice controllers to stay.

PMS
3rd Apr 2001, 16:49
Fly through,
As I said on the other issue they will only do this when the company has received notice.I await with baited breath for the next installment. I suspect that the contract with Thales was signed late last week. Serco will never come clean on these things until the dust has settled, its company policy.

Yodeller
3rd Apr 2001, 18:57
As an ex-employee, it is very hard to sympathise with Serco. Hopefully all the hard-working shiftwork staff will be looked after, preferably by another employer.

Now, perhaps, the local DCA will get some professional and advanced ATC direction, and not the utter incompetence of Serco`s Abu Dhabi (mis)management team.

Serco Stuffer
3rd Apr 2001, 23:12
Thales can have it for a couple of years - then we, NATS, will have the lot.... And for the first time Serco staff will know what an average employer is (as opposed to one that is total crap).

Scareface Claw
7th Apr 2001, 13:09
Does anybody on this thread know the Thales address? There are a number of ATCO in NZ still interested in overseas employment and may wish to contact them.
Post it here and I will pass it on to those interested. Thanks!

unwise
8th Apr 2001, 02:05
The new Nats has already made it clear that it intends to bid for international contracts in the future and there is no doubt it will be a formidable opponent. Who knows 6 years down the line you too could be applying for a five year break in the middle east, assuming nerc is running smoothly of course.

Hairy Growler
8th Apr 2001, 02:57
Unwise

That is an immense assumption!!

Echo Oscar
9th Apr 2001, 13:42
www.thalesgroup.com (http://www.thalesgroup.com)

Fly Through
10th Apr 2001, 17:59
Latest gossip for you.

Shiek Hamdan of the DCA has told anyone who will listen that Serco have got the contract, subject final negotiation on price. (It's like shopping at a bleedin' souk http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif)
Executive Council Meeting of the Goverment today (10/04) will make the final decision.

Strangely, all through this nobody I know got any calls/letters/e-mails from Thales??

Oh well,probably all change tomorrow http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif