PDA

View Full Version : certificate of long range

backtrack320
29th Nov 2004, 14:08
hello,

could someone tell me what a "certificate of long range" is and what the requirements are to obtain it?

Since I m flying within Europe on the a320; chances are low that I can actually obtain it...but is it really a requirement to fly long haul ?

Many thanks !

Notso Fantastic
29th Nov 2004, 16:36
Wow- I've been flying long-range and 'my God that was a hellish long way!'-range for 34 years without a 'certificate of long range'! I think it must be an airline operator or country specific certificate. The only qualification you really need is the ability to sit up all night with cellotape holding your eyes open, and to have an idea how to get Oceanic clearances- all the rest is just a piece of paper!

CruisingSpeed
29th Nov 2004, 17:09
This used to be a requirement in Germany and asked for by many german operators. I stand to be corrected here, but I believe this is being phased out, with many german training organisations running the last courses for holders of old (german ICAO) licences. With the introduction of JAR this certificate is superfluous, as already contained in the 14-subject syllabus.

It is however still asked for by many operators in Germany, funnily enough by many not really flying something that could even be considered close to long haul.

I guess if you have a JAR licence you need not worry about this requirement. It would be interesting to hear from a german more in the know about this.