PDA

View Full Version : Nats+IAA= Fab

Artas
29th Nov 2004, 13:10
The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) and UK National Air Traffic Services (NATS) are to commission a study into the issues associated with establishing a functional airspace block, seen as a key step in the development of a Single European Sky.

At a meeting in Dublin this week, the Chief Executives of the IAA and NATS, Eamonn Brennan and Paul Barron, agreed that a study should be conducted by an independent consultant and involve consultation with all their key stakeholders to consider the issues involved in establishing an Ireland/UK functional block of airspace. Preliminary findings are expected to be available in 2005.

The announcement comes on the eve of the first phase of work by the IAA and NATS, to provide a radar controlled air traffic control service from Shannon, into a new area to be known as NOTA – a Northern Oceanic Transition Area, situated to the north west of Ireland.

From January next year, the new NOTA radar service will allow aircraft to make earlier transitions to their optimum cruising levels and allow greater flexibility for alternative routings, climbs and descents. The move has the full support of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the representative association for airlines.

Minesapint
29th Nov 2004, 14:40
Sounds like a great idea, but then I do work (ney slave) for NATS. Maybe IAA should keep the lower airspace and Swanwick can do the upper air. We could share the loot and the Guiness - excellent plan what?:cool:

30th Nov 2004, 08:16
Well if it is such a good idea why didn't NATS join Eurocontrol years ago?......funny how all these super plans apply to OTHERS but there is always a compelling reason why the good old Brits opt out of the actual realisation of the dream......bit like our attitude to Europe in general......great idea/don't want to actually join but we want to be in charge of everything.
What could be the real reason......ah!....of course.....much cheaper to employ Irish controllers to manage UK airspace under delegation, with the added benefit of addressing the chronic NATS staff shortage of operational controllers.....and there will be lots more non-operatonal jobs for the boys and girls.
A warning for Irish colleagues.....I've worked with you for years and you have top respect....watch out for these "new broom" used-car-salesman types......they're out for the quick buck and then they're off....guess who'll be left to pick up the pieces?
As God is my witness I wish I could trust them......but we've been lied to again and again by successive administrations.......don't get tarred with the same brush.

Minesapint
30th Nov 2004, 12:23
NATS (the UK) are members of Eurocontrol. Just like Germany, Italy and Slovakia.

I think its Maastricht, Shannon and CEATS that are/will be operated by Eurocontrol. However, the CANSO group has recently announced that Eurocontrol should change its role. I think they want it to be more of a regulator.

If that is the case then the three ACC's above will be up for grabs and base cases for SES initiatives. Maybe that fits in with the recent rumours concerning Maastricht privatisation.

30th Nov 2004, 14:20
Please don't mention that dustbin of non-talent on this site, look at where it came from. You set up a swanky office and tell everyone you are important and let the jobs-for-the-boys gravy train take over.
If I'm wrong I'll apologise......so persuade me!