PDA

View Full Version : ATIS Alpha to Golf in fifteen minutes.

Agaricus bisporus
30th Mar 2001, 00:04
What are the parameters for changing the ATIS in the UK? Is it me or is the ATIS being changed for ten degrees or three knots of wind these days? We pilots do like to try to call you guys with the correct ATIS, but when we copy Alpha on the hour and upon pushback at :15 are told it's Golf already we sometimes wonder why we bother.

At my homebase the tiniest changes seem to trigger a new broadcast. Is this necessary, do you ATCers agree with this? Is it policy? Is it to do with "liability"?

Your views appreciated. Thanks!

Specaircrew
30th Mar 2001, 00:15
Even worse, at a certain military airfield in the S Atlantic they change the ATIS details but don't change the letter!!!

Spotnik
30th Mar 2001, 00:38
Yes, it most likely is liability, as with every thing involving the slightest element of risk these days you have to cover your back in case someone sues the ass off it. Some days the weather does change rapidly - particularly in showers with precipitation and wind velocity, but I'm sure you know that just by looking out of the window.

Safe flying!

fweeeeep
30th Mar 2001, 01:20
Maybe we should have ATIS sub-categories, so that INFO A on the hour becomes INFO A1, A2, A3, A4 etc... if there are only minor weather changes, but becomes B on the half hour or if there is a "major" change like runways or servicability.

Just a thought

beaglepup
30th Mar 2001, 02:24
Depends.
At some units, there is an "automated" ATIS, so if there is a "change" in the WX, then the ATIS changes.
Where there is a "manual" ATIS e.g. EGCC, then only SIGNIFICANT changes are made.
Speaking to a colleague North of the border, on a stormy night the [automatic] ATIS goes thru the alphabet in an hour.
The ATIS at EGCC whilst not 100pc perfect, reflects more of a true Met picture.
If unhappy, visit the unit. Most ATCUs welcome input from our "Customers"

Agaricus bisporus
30th Mar 2001, 03:39
Aaah, Beagle! Now whats all this about "automatic ATIS"? could this be the answer?

I had always imagined that someone had to "produce" a new ATIS, are you saying that if the wind swings x degrees the machine does a new one automatically??

Ps tell more!

And while we're at it, when I call "Arrival this is Plummet 123 descending *** with information Xray" and by then it's Charlie does that give you a problem/concern/amusement? Usually you want to confirm the QNH - naturally- but does the fact I have an out of date ATIS concern you at all? Bearing in mind that this may be in the latter stages of the approach when we may be busy and worrying about a 10deg shift in wind is hardly worth noticing/

Whats your side of the story?

beaglepup
30th Mar 2001, 12:31
Dear Ag
On a liason visit to EGPH, we were shown the automatic atis. I understood the ATSA to say that it changed letter every time the wx changed, not every 30 mins. Perhaps Passptt can shed some more light on the matter

viva77
30th Mar 2001, 17:57
The ATIS is semi automatic at many airfields.It updates changes of QNH & QFE automatically, and generates a new letter. It updates the wind automatically, but does not generate a letter. The semi bit is cloud, vis & wx which is refered to a human for checking. However they can't ignore it so under some conditions such as the vis hovering around 5000m large numbers of ATIS could be generated.

HugMonster
30th Mar 2001, 18:40
Why is it that automated ATIS systems broadcast the time of the message?

I don't want to know that. I've got a watch, thank you, and an F/O who can help me to tell the time.

What I really, really would like to know is the time of the observation. That way I can tell how recent it is, how up-to-date and whether we should get an update on first contact with APP...

Forget going from Alpha to Golf in 15 mins - how come we get to stay at November for 2 hours!? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Agaricus bisporus
30th Mar 2001, 23:59
HM, dont we assume that the time of the ATIS IS the time of the observation, or very close to it? Do you still require the assistance of your FO to clarify the content in this case, or can you now manage on your own?

If info "ABCD" lasts fot 2 hours then presumably the wx has not changed, tho I'd be happier if a new designator was issued at :20 and :50 even if the content remained unchanged.

BTW, how did you get italics and bold type i your post - or should I ask my FO?

;)

[This message has been edited by Agaricus bisporus (edited 30 March 2001).]

31st Mar 2001, 01:15
Beaglepup is correct; the ATIS at EGPH is a semi-automatic system that changes by itself when any change in met conditions occurs. The change is supposed to be verified by the ATSA; but often this does not happen (and I'm not having a go at the assistants - I know they've a lot on their plates at PH) and the ATIS can go through several letters in a couple of minutes.

The most annoying thing from our point of view is that the changes are not highlighted (for more than a few seconds), so when asked "any change" we rather embarrassingly can't tell most of the time!

beaglepup
31st Mar 2001, 13:27
Thanx 1261,
I WAS sober at the time, then.... :-))