PDA

View Full Version : Just Had the Email Invite

xtremity
25th Nov 2004, 15:00
Hi,

i have just had the email invite for the firat selection day in feb 2005 at Bournemouth, Part of the email was the information document which listed the 20+ aircraft types and information.

Is this the relevant studying material for the first day? I have already been reading this forum for a monthish so have ammassed a huge amount of print outs to read and absorb, or is this more relevant for the second assesment if succesful?

I have just purchased a book on amazan on test prep is this still relevant or have i just wasted my hard earned?

Also i notice a lot of people discussing various books on the basics or ATC and laymens guides to etc... Should i be purchasing these before the first day or are they more relevant if you get the second assesment?

Does anyone have a rough idea on the start dates if succesfull for the first assesment in Feb?

sorry if some questions are repeated elsewhere, and hopefully meet a few more people headed to bournemouth in Feb.

I have read the sticky post and the other tiscalli web site with interst and i would like to thank the person who compliled it as it has so far been very useful - TA

Thanks in Advance

Ian

Sorry to bore again

I only live 2 minutes from swanwick centre and was wondering (hopeing) that there maybe a newly trained ATC or am experienced bod who would be willing to meet up and have a chat regarding the Job in general and not just the selection days!

Im in titchfield common with my local being the Talisman, i would be more than willing to supply the Firsty Ferrett or the Cup of Tea, for some of your time.

And vbefore anyone jumps on the bandwagon of the earlier post its not a roundabout offer of paying someone, more a plea for a kindhearted person passionate about there job and helpong others.

Regards

Ian

bmb7jiw
25th Nov 2004, 15:27
Hi,
You need to study those 20 aircraft, there will be an exam on it at your selection day!!!!

bmb7jiw

BPL321
25th Nov 2004, 15:32
bmb7jiw, ive got a selection day in Manchester on the 18th of Jan. Exactly what do they ask you regarding the long list of a/c and there details? Do you need to know exactly how many seats there are on each plane for example? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much detail they require. If anyone has recently sat the selection day tests I would be very grateful for as much info as possible.

cheers

bmb7jiw
25th Nov 2004, 15:37
If nothing else, have an idea of the kind of places each particular plane goes to, i.e short haul or long haul. That is all I got asked on the multi choice test but some of the other guys/gals on my course have told me they got asked more specific questions.
My advice would be to learn whatever information NATs send you, it will be useful, if not at the selection day then at the interview. Also when you are at the college you will have to learn data for 50 aircraft, so you mays well start now!!!
Also I can recommend Air Traffic Control by Graham Duke. This book cost me about 7GBP on Ebay and helped get me through my interview.

bmb7jiw

ILS 119.5
25th Nov 2004, 16:35
Another candidate!

viaEGLL
25th Nov 2004, 16:37
Mainly learn the basics about the aircraft that will affect you when doing the job i.e;

How big the aircraft are know the difference between a 747 and 737

What aircraft would be used for long-haul , short haul etc

The basic recognition of your general aircraft that are used by BA and virgin etc

Enjoy:O :O

Jerricho
25th Nov 2004, 16:54
Another candidate!

You wouldn't be soliciting again now, would you?

VectorLine
25th Nov 2004, 17:06
Xtremeity

PM on it's way

VL

Lock n' Load
25th Nov 2004, 23:28
I can't believe anyone would ask a question that amounts to "ooh, this seems like hard work - can I do less and still get by?" If you really want the job, you'll read the two or three books on UK ATC and a Jane's spotter book, and you'll scour Flight International for any information that'll help. You wouldn't be trying to cut corners when separating aitcraft, would you?

Certainly though, your money is better spent on book than on quasi-professional exam preparation....

Winter2004
26th Nov 2004, 14:55
Just received my acceptance email so I'm over the moon!

The best advice I can give is to read what you think is important!

I studied all the info they sent and some books (check amazon for Graham Duke book). Do some research on t'internet for any areas you're a bit rusty on. The initial assessment day was good fun so enjoy it and take the chance to get to know other like-minded indivuals! I met some lovely people and would be interested to know how they got on (Manch assessment day 8th sept)!

As for the final interview day, just chill! I was a bit down hearted about how I thought the computer tests had gone but just give it your all and try to relax as much as poss! As for the tech interview, if you don't know, say so! There were some questions that really stumped me. I admitted that I wasn't certain and just gave some ideas that I thought would be appropriate! The HR interview was really enjoyable! You get to chat about yourself and as long as you can give examples to back everything up, you'll do fine!

Best of luck to all candidates! If you need anything more specific PM me! I'll try to help as much as I can!

Bournemouth here I come (oops, got the medical first, tee hee)!

Winter