View Full Version : Florida flying holiday.

ukwannabe
25th Nov 2004, 05:13
Firstly, I apologise for posting in this forum, but I didn't know where else to post. I'm sure it'll get moved shortly, before anyone starts to whinge!
My wife and I, and my 5 year old daughter are planning a 2 week, July or August 2005, holiday starting in Florida, and then hopping around the Southern USA in a PA31 or similar. I was wondering if anyone with a similar family would like to come along and share the experience.
I'm tentatively considering New Orleans, Alabama, Southern Carolina, Key West and the Bahamas.
Ideally 2 hours or so of flying in the morning every couple of days. But this'll be a joint venture, so who knows.
PM me if interested, PPL or ATPL doesn't matter; 100 hours or 10,000 still doesn't matter! Just a like minded family, and a flexible one at that, I should envisage!:D

Keygrip
25th Nov 2004, 12:38
I'm not the like minded family that you seek - but I am VERY interested to know how/when/where you will get a PA31 to take away.

Self fly? 2 hours a day? PA31?

Vladivar Smirnoff
25th Nov 2004, 16:57
Make sure you can take the aircraft out of US territory ie: The Bahama`s the majority wont let you, and if you do it anyway the fine on return is in the order of $10,000 just for you and the operator has a bigger one he will pass to you.

There is an outfit in Tamiami called Dean Aviation who will let you take out certain 172`s, I did the trip to Nassau a couple of years ago it was brilliant.

Dont let the old chestnut of not having the correct visa to return to USA put you off.

The 90 day visa waiver was ok prior 9/11, I presume its the same now.

ukwannabe
25th Nov 2004, 18:23
I have contacted a couple of fbo's who charter out PA31's, and am awaiting their replies. They range from 350-500 US dollars per hour. It's been some time since I flew privately in the US so will be picking this forums brains shortly on this topic. Though I fly in and out of the US in my B744, I'm sure the GA side of ops is very different.

slim_slag
26th Nov 2004, 09:29
If you are chartering the plane it will come with a pilot who will be making all the decisions for you. All you do is sit in the back with a G&T and enjoy the trip, should be a good one!

ukwannabe
26th Nov 2004, 16:56
No, the idea is for us to be the pilots, the wives in the back with the g and t's! Come on somebody must be up for it. Should be a good fun two weeks.

Sensible
26th Nov 2004, 23:17
Fraid the idea of a jolly in a PA 31 is dream. Try thinking PA 31 -3 = PA 28 Opens up loads of possibilities. Sorry to put a damper on things but the reality is that 172's and PA 28's are easy to rent but twins is altogether different!

ukwannabe
27th Nov 2004, 07:44
Sensible, why a dream? I mean I'm only talking about a PA31. However, if you have any knowledge or tips, then please let me know as I'm open to all the help and suggestions which I can get. I thought it would be a good fun 2 weeks seeing parts of the South, that you don't normally get to. Cheers.

Keygrip
27th Nov 2004, 11:45
I THINK what Sensible will be referring to is the common rental policies of the majority of FBO's out here.

As he says, C172 and PA28 are available by the hundred. Getting anything bigger than a four seater can be "difficult" at best - even in the single engine variety.

Getting a twin to self fly, even a common one such as Seneca/Seminole/Duchess often requires a good, long standing, reputation with the FBO, 500 hours MEP time, 100 on make/model - all sorts of nightmares.

Some operators have even taken the middle row of seats out of the Seneca and made it into a four seat aircraft.

Getting hold of a PA31 to fly solo, I would expect to be "a dream", getting hold of one to take away for two weeks and only do two hours a day is moving towards a fantasy.

It will, of course, all depend on your MEP experience - and remember that, at least in JAA land, time on a 744 does not count as experience towards an MEP.

I truly wish you the best of luck - if you find one let me know - I've been trying to get hold of one (even for a "one hour local") for over seven years now.....and that's with 1,000 command on type.