PDA

View Full Version : Advice for trainee ATC aptitude testing

Barley Sugar
28th Mar 2001, 01:44
I have just been told I have got to the aptitude testing phase for trainee ATC and was looking for any advice on the aptitude testing.

In particular does it compare to BA or EI cadet pilot tests?

Thanks.

------------------
Barley sugars, the travel sweet.
Never leave home without them.

Vlad the Impaler
28th Mar 2001, 21:07
If you search through the old threads you'll find plenty of useful stuff as your question is a regular one. Personally I would advise you to carefully read the stuff they send you and for a little light reading,the Ian Allen book on ATC was a godsend for me. You can find it listed at Amazon.co.uk. Good Luck.

Bizzy
28th Mar 2001, 21:38
Read the booklet thoroughly - although out of date, the written question paper is taken directly from it. There is probably no need to learn all the figures for air misses, traffic levels etc, if the paper is the same!

Do the examples for the multiple choice tests - you will do exactly the same type of tests on the day.

Do not try to fool the personality test - you will get caught out!!

To get my mind working quickly and logically before test day I bought self test IQ books by H J Eynsek (Think thats correct - I have put the ISBN numbers on an earlier thread).. any thing along those lines will get your mind working quickly.. even though they are not at all like the tests on the day, they are good to do.

Get a good nights sleep the night before and relax!!

Look through the threads for the past few months - there is a lot of info within.

Do not be put off by horror stories you encounter on the threads - if you can do it, then you can do it!!

As Vlad says search amazon for books on ATC - though there is no need at your stage - all the info is in the booklet sent to you. However,many of the books are out of print, and it takes a good two weeks to get them. You will probably only get 4 weeks notice from passing to interview, so ordering books early is good!!

I could not get the Ian allen book, I bought two, on called Air Traffic Control by Graham Duke ISBN 0-7110-2569-X is quite good,

the other, UK Air Traffic Control, by Dave Graves, is not so good and very repetitive, and in my opinion, not worth buying!!

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Bizzy (edited 28 March 2001).]