View Full Version : Your FSO job

JP4
24th Nov 2004, 13:14
I'd like to know what you like and what you don't, in what is done by your "Flight safety officer" in his everyday job?

Or may be what you would do if you were FSO?

I have a military view of the position, and would like to know how you deal with that job in the airline companies.

Thanks for your collaboration.

Captain Stable
25th Nov 2004, 16:33
This list is far from inclusive:-

1. Don't expect to be popular, either with line pilots or management
2. Ensure membership of and attendance at UKFSC
3. Ensure subscription to BASIS/ERASIS/similar
4. Ensure you hold ex officio membership of your training committee
5. Hold monthly (at least) Flight Safety Comittee meetings - to be attended by Fleet Managers of fleets affected by current ASR's, FOD, QA Mgr, Eng Mgr.
6. Attend ERAA (or similar) Flight Safety meetings
7. Ensure people filing ASR's get regular feedback - even if it's to say "No news so far - we're still looking into it"
8. (See (1) above) If you're not being a PITA to management, you're not doing your job

any more anyone?

JP4
27th Nov 2004, 14:05
Captain stable, thanks for your answer. Your first point was also on my list. :cool:
You are talking about a subscription to BASIS/ERASIS. What's that?

Ensure you hold ex officio membership of your training committee Do you mean if you are FSO you should be also in the training comittee?

If there is an incident, and the captain is called for an interview by the chief pilot and the Ops director, I think that the FSO must be present at that meeting. What do you think?

Again, thanks for your opinion. I could apply for an FSO position before end of this year, but I'd like to clarify some points.

Cheers

JP