PDA

View Full Version : Beep signal on the radio (ATC)

EightsOnPylons
23rd Nov 2004, 22:56
Hello,

I have a question, sometimes when flying in Europe and talking to some controllers sometime you hear a mechanical beep (clear loud beeeep signal) noise followed by some clicking noise.. what is that? and why do you hear it every now and then ??

thank you in advance,
eightsOn

pilotwolf
24th Nov 2004, 22:29
Microwave in the background?! :E

PW

Jerricho
25th Nov 2004, 00:11
It's just a guess, but it may have something to do with the "time-stamping" of the r/t as it's being recorded. Allows for techy types to go to a specific point in time on the tape should it be required for examination.

Either that or there's a v-chip installed on the frequency.

justcoolen
25th Nov 2004, 02:58
alarm clock, followed by a pace maker.

salzkorn
27th Nov 2004, 06:18
You're likely to hear some scratching noises or short bips when controllers are combining/decombining frequencies...

Have you then noticed any changes of controller's voice, or in the amount of traffic heard on the radio ?

Notso Fantastic
27th Nov 2004, 07:17
Some VHF radios now have a beep if you have been on transmit a long time to let you know about a possible stuck mike. You can also get a beep from nearby strong radar transmissions.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Nov 2004, 07:34
Porbbaly not to do with "time stamping" as that is superimposed on the recording machines well away from the transmitters... (Unless some countries have a different scheme?). It takes the form of morse characters to indicate each minute.

The clicking noise is likely to be is the controller using a handset or hand mic rather than a headset. Some ATC facilities have telephone type handsets equipped with a press-to-talk switch on the handle. This definitely produces clicks during transmissions. Controllers hear the same noises when pilots use hand mics.

If the controller is using a hand mic/ handset and a loudspeaker the "beep" is likely to be a very short burst of feedback when the transmitter comes on before the receiver is muted. We used to hear that on BAC 1-11s

Now somebody will say I'm talking a load of ****!!

SoftTop
27th Nov 2004, 08:10
EOP, where in europe?

There could be many reasons for the "beep".

Is the character of the beep the same every the time?
Is it from a centre or tower?
Is it from the same centre ot tower each time?

My best guesses from the limited info so far is that it could be:

fist mic operation and a bit of feedback from speaker to mic at the tail end of a transmission;

transmitters and receivers are remote from the site where the ATCO is located and there is tone switching used between the user and the tx/rx site with poor filtering of the tone when the speech ceases;

mic gain too high and feedback when speech ceases.

It doesn't seem like it's meant to happen, sounds more like either a faulty frequency set up or poor operating technique on the part of the ATCO.

Have you subimitted a radio fault report?

Remote diagnosis - always a good game :hmm:

ST

EightsOnPylons
6th Dec 2004, 19:51
Thank you for your replies!

Last time I heard it was over french airspace. I usually here it maybe once a week. It sounds like a computer modem signal almost and goes on for a short while, maybe 5 seconds. It doesn't sound anything like any noise a human beeing is doing when transmitting/receiving. It comes on usually when nobody is talking on frequency, and everybody is listening..

has no-one ever heard this? I know it is not coming from the aircraft I have been flying as I have heard it in several different aircraft..

thank you,
EoP

Knackered Nigel
6th Dec 2004, 21:02
EoP,

Yes, I have heard it too and don't think suggestions so far are the answer. Often the pitch changes, ie low note, higher note?

K N:confused:

amanoffewwords
6th Dec 2004, 21:53
Isn't it a test-like signal? To ensure the frequency is active - so that if you're tuning in you know you've hit the right place even when it's quiet. (and vice-versa the controller knows some kit hasn't gone inop somewhere).

This is purely from a layman point of view but I remember reading something about such a system being used by the London Ambulance Service years ago..

gingernut
7th Dec 2004, 14:31
ooops....must remember to turn my mobile phone off next time

EightsOnPylons
16th Jul 2005, 12:30
it sounds almost like if you call a number and a fax machine answers the call I think.. no one has any explanation? I hear it maybe once every third day I work or something on that order, and always in cruise at high altitudes

Golden Parrot
16th Jul 2005, 13:52
On a similar subject, anyone know whats up with the loud bursts of static that are regularly heard on the Maastricht frequencies?

Farrell
16th Jul 2005, 15:31
it's probably mrhazard and his pie-rat raydeeo stayshun dat dozent interfear wit avatars!

Jerricho
16th Jul 2005, 15:34
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/028.gif

Now that's funny Farrell.

Farrell
16th Jul 2005, 15:39
I really can't believe that guy!

Field In Sight
17th Jul 2005, 11:26
I heard a German crew the other day complaining to the controller of a repetitive bleep on the frequency.

The controller replied that it was a under test (or calibration) and it would be finished in 5 minutes or so.

It is bloody annoying though!

FIS.

Jerricho
17th Jul 2005, 23:49
Not as annoying as a hoser that thinks a pirate radio station is fine and dandy.

(Pitty that thread's been pulled)

Farrell
18th Jul 2005, 11:48
"(Pitty that thread's been pulled)"

I see you've been taking spelling lessons from him though!!

Jerricho
18th Jul 2005, 13:21
The uh......the "t" is stuck on my keaybord ;) ;)

Farrell
18th Jul 2005, 13:36
I tink you mite bee lieing about your keebord beeing brocken.

What I is wundering about is that the orginial post and comments about the rig and pie-rat stayshun is gone now.

Why is it gone away?