PDA

View Full Version : Passing Details Over R/T

Port Strobe
23rd Nov 2004, 22:18
Could somebody please either tell me or point me in the direction of a document telling me all the circumstances where a flight plan is required, but this requirement is satisfied by passing details over R/T, such as VFR through class D etc.

Thanks for your time.

5milesbaby
23rd Nov 2004, 22:48
From the manual of Air Traffic Services Part 1: (which can be found on-line)

8.6 Flight Plan

A full flight plan is not required for Special VFR flight but the pilot must give brief
details of the callsign, aircraft type and pilot’s intentions. A full flight plan is required
if the pilot wishes his destination to be notified.

9 Filing of Flight Plans

9.1 Flight plans fall into two categories:
a) Full flight plans; the information required on Form CA 48/RAF2919.
b) Abbreviated flight plans; the limited information required to obtain a clearance for
a portion of flight (e.g: flying in a control zone, crossing an airway) filed either on
the RTF or by telephone prior to take-off.

9.2 The destination aerodrome will be advised of the flight only if the flight plan
information covers the whole route of the flight.

9.3 An airborne flight plan may be filed provided that the pilot leaves sufficient time for
the clearance to be issued before the aircraft reaches the boundary of the controlled
airspace (normally 10 minutes).

9.4 A pilot may file a flight plan for any flight.

9.5 A pilot is required to file a flight plan:
a) for all flights within controlled airspace, Class A–E, which are conducted in
accordance with IFR;
b) for flights within Class B, C and D airspace conducted in accordance with VFR;
c) when he wishes to receive an air traffic advisory service (Class F airspace);
d) for all flights which will cross a United Kingdom international FIR boundary;
e) for any flight where the destination is more than 40 km from the aerodrome of
departure and the aircraft’s maximum total weight authorised exceeds 5700 kg.

9.6 A pilot is advised to file a flight plan:
a) if his flight involves flying over the sea more than 10 miles from the UK coast or
flying over sparsely populated areas where search and rescue operations would be
difficult; or
b) if he intends to fly into an area in which search and rescue operations are in
progress. The flight plan should include the expected times of entering and leaving
the area and the details must also be passed to the parent ACC. The ACC is to
notify the ARCC concerned.

Port Strobe
25th Nov 2004, 09:40
Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much clarified what I was after.