View Full Version : Industrial Action

ukatco
11th Feb 2001, 01:17
Some thoughts on industrial action.

Why does it have to be an all out strike? This would cause problems for everyone with mortgages, school fees etc. and probably would not get full support from IPMS members.
I suggest the following:

1st Monday. Shut down everything.
2nd Monday. Shut down the airports.
3rd Monday. Shut down LATCC.
4th Monday. Shut down ScATCC.
Then we start again.

This way we keep the system in chaos and we only lose 2 days pay per month. We could keep this up indefinately and it would be enough to wipe out the profits any ppp partner hopes to gain.

This is probably pie in the sky as the labour activists on the BEC will not want us to destroy Labours chances of winning the next election.

daft fader
11th Feb 2001, 01:54
Nice idea, but it has its flaws. Ask anyone who took part in the last rolling action (1981?...my memory is not what it used to be). Problem was, that at some units, whole watches decided to ignore the action. We might however be living in a different culture and the "never strike whatever the issue" brigade might not be so prevalent. Any views anybody?

Special VFR
11th Feb 2001, 02:30
Yes, I guess I was always in the 'no strike' camp. Not any longer, I would go along with the action proposed. Anything, to make this lot see sense, although I fear there is precious little chance of that. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

EnglishPatient
11th Feb 2001, 03:33
ukatco...I think your suggestion to alternate is spot on.

In 1981 most european airlines were nationalised, today the airlines (especially BA) could not sit by and watch profits go down the plug hole, never mind prospective ppp partners.

We could even do, one day TC, one day AC, one day LHR approach on three consecutive days !! In that way, 3 days strike with only one day loss of work per individual.

slurp
11th Feb 2001, 04:38
guys ..its a great idea for future action but to wake this lot up it has to be the big bang on the first day of action...let them know just how we feel...everyone out for the first day ...and yes after that let's get into the rolling ball system...hopefully we can shepherd them into the right direction after the first day

AyrTC
11th Feb 2001, 04:45
No its boll*x
As said before it was tried in 1981 AND IT DID NOT WORK.Its got to be all out or not out.If you are worried about the loss of money then this possible strike is not going
to take place.I was 0n the picket line in '81 so trust me. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

AyrTC

Numpo-Nigit
11th Feb 2001, 16:34
Why always Mondays? With tube strikes, etc, Mr Businessman just extends his weekend. Try hitting them on a Friday afternoon shift, when he's already in some faraway city anxious to get home. That will get more attention, won't it?

WebCreator
11th Feb 2001, 17:17
Credibility is always at stake when industrial action is mooted as an idea. Your problem is striking the balance between JoePublic seeing this as a major hassle, backed up by Labour spin that will tell him this is because of "fear of change" issues such as having to work for a living, having normal amounts of leave, not getting EG's but working a full shift etc etc. You MUST get the safety aspects into the foreground now or they will go unnoticed. I know many NATS folk and yes, from an outsiders perspective it "appears" they have plenty of leave - I know one guy that counted up 40+ days already accrued! From the outside that sounds a lot, the inside issues though are what counts and it has to be safety, safety, safety or Joe will just think you're whining. Support / add to www.nats-ppp.com (http://www.nats-ppp.com) and let's see if we can get the right story out before the spin begins...

OrsonCart
11th Feb 2001, 20:34
How about Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon over an April bank holiday?