PDA

View Full Version : EAST MIDLANDS

Pages : [1] 2

egnxema
22nd Nov 2004, 15:44
WIth all that's going on at MAN and LPL I thought I'd start a thread to gather the latest news and views at EMA.

Anyone been spotted?

Any back of the cabin rumours?

:ok:

Gareth Blackstock
22nd Nov 2004, 16:14
I was spotted at EMA yesterday!

Gaz

we_never_change
22nd Nov 2004, 17:17
Air Scandic are to base a Finnair MD83 at EMA next summer fot IT flights (discussed in the Scandic thread recently).

Other than that, just the usual rumours of EZY pulling out & RYR increasing their presence.

At the moment, I would have thought that any major new services into EMA would be carrying freight rather than passengers. I think that will DHL scaling down their ops at BRU, DHL ops at EMA will increase slightly.

WNC

phil_2405
22nd Nov 2004, 18:04
I have heard there will be several new routes next summer at NEMA. Where to and operated by who I do not know. The Air Scandic ops will probably account for some new destinations and the new FCA long-haul services.

Any more ideas? More FR flights?

rock737
22nd Nov 2004, 18:06
Personally i think a ryanair announcement is long overdue since it was there intention origionally to strengthen NEMA.

Anyone got any news on our £325 million delvelopment work that MAN gave to EMA for a new terminal and other improvements, as this is also overdue the airport went over capacity in the summer over 500,000 pax in a month in either aug/sept

phil_2405
22nd Nov 2004, 18:12
There will be an fairly large extension to the International Departure Lounge for next summer to the west I understand.

The 'new' terminal will be a major development of the existing terminal, once again to the west of the current building i.e. towards the ATC tower.

Lite
22nd Nov 2004, 19:44
On top of the flights to Girona (Girona-based aircraft), Rome (Rome-based aircraft), Dublin & Murcia (Dublin-based aircraft) there are rumours that Ryanair is to either base five aircraft at Nottingham East Midlands next summer, or that the airline will be using five aircraft from other bases to fly a number of new routes.

flybe. management have been talking with NEMA management for the last few months regarding a small base at the airport, not unlike what they're flying out of LPL for next summer. I have been told to expect an announcement for twice daily BHD & twice daily CDG any time now.

EasyJet rumours still seem to be around that the airline is going to pull out, I have no facts or figures, but they seem to just be ambling along with whats left of the Go operation. When the -300s finally get retired, will the NEMA base be retired also?

Still rumours around that Germanwings is coming to NEMA, to accompany its partner airline bmibaby.

Also, bmi regional is *apparently* looking into adding its EMB-175s that it has on order, I think its ten of the type, of which three could be based at NEMA. Whether this is to replace or compliment bmibaby routes, I've not been told.

phil_2405
22nd Nov 2004, 19:55
Five aircraft from FR seems slightly unrealistic...but you never know with Ryanair!! I think we might see more flights from other bases, rather than based aircraft.

A flybe announcement would be interesting, a reaction to baby moving to BHX perhaps? Belfast performs VERY well for baby and yet they have no competition on the route and I believe Paris performs well as well.

I cant see easyJet pulling out anytime soon and apparently they have been pleased with performance on the Rome and Cologne routes so maybe that will encourage them to base more aircraft/launch new routes. They already launched their Summer 05 routes from NEMA though and no new routes as yet!

Mike16
22nd Nov 2004, 21:07
Hi

With regards to EZY at EMA, i know we are getting 737-700 next year i think it was from march or april time, so this will be nice for us as a base.
All our flights perform very well. all our loads are well over 100 and we had a very busy summer season with most of our summer flights full to capacity.
Rome and cologne are doing well indeed and yes it is nice to go somewhere different from EMA.
We as a base hope we do get more routes like any other airline would like, fingers crossed..........
We hear rumours our barcelona may come back and we may get this and we may get that , but at least we know we are staying at EMA at the moment, but as like FR you never know what to expect from EZY...........

TAKE CARE

rock737
22nd Nov 2004, 21:48
Seems then like we might get several announcements all in a short space of time,as for the terminal building what are the plans to develop it westwards does this extend past the tower or not because the tower is not very far westwards from the rest also they need two tier as one tier is not enough extended also esculators are long overdue. I hope it will get a touch of the modern international airport look you see at places like AMS and LTN (in particular), edinburgh and stansted with upper departure lounges are air bridges.

almost professional
22nd Nov 2004, 22:05
the terminal expansion that should have been in place for this summer is due to commence any time now and consists of a one tier extension of the departure lounge westwards, to a point about abeam the tower-occupying the space that used to have some portacabins and enginering buildings on it
the terminal redevelopement is still in the planning stages I believe there may be more news in the new year
good to hear some positive news on route developement-perhaps the 5 million pax for 2005 mentioned in the advert for the new MD is not a pipedream after all

master slug
22nd Nov 2004, 23:11
Can't see to much happenning at EMA while MAN have there grubby paws on it. Last i heard was all ema's car-parks were only half full this summer because of the prices. You see its a MAN thing, Screw the punters for what you can get.MAN is only interested in as we call it now NEMA, is the freight side of things.

So says the slug.................

phil_2405
23rd Nov 2004, 11:50
I believe the current plan for the 'new' terminal is to extend westwards encompassing the ATC tower. All of it is very much still in the planning stages and I believe a planning application will be made early in 2005. Lets hope they dont do it on the cheap and we do get a decent terminal!!

Here's hoping we get some airline/routes announcements soon!

Apparently baby is dropping down to 5 based a/c next summer. I've been told they will prob drop Dublin and a couple of other routes...transferring to BHX maybe?? We shud find out in a week or so when they announce Summer 05.

rock737
23rd Nov 2004, 11:59
Exactly, a decent terminal needs to be modern not made out of fabric with a temp design like the new check in bit, a lot larger more airy and very stylish eg the new luton or stansted or liverpool. It also could have provision for in future or include upstairs or an upstairs mezzanine catering outlet bit land side or have security and air side upstairs along with escualtors to modernise it. Not some cheap job such as that awful check in extension they should rebuild that as part of the plans to make it flush with the rest of the main check in hall imo.

Yes lets hope we get several positive announcements on new routes, i mean its not like we have to attract easyjet or ryanair as they already fly there its just getting them to expand.

On the cargo side of things that needs expansion to but the passenger side i think is what everyone is more bothered about sicne it is long overdue.

almost professional
23rd Nov 2004, 12:29
rock
what you need to remember is that the 'temp' extension was put up for the very good reason that extra check in capacity was required quickly and without possible delays due to planning problems-the present building got round those problems and does the job-it also meant that money was not wasted on an extension that may well not fit in with future plans-its not going to be there forever, I also have no doubt that what transpires in the terminal redevelopement will meet the expectations of the traveling public-bearing in mind of course the market at which the airport is now aiming-airbridges etc are not favoured by our lo-cost bretheren!

ATNotts
23rd Nov 2004, 12:31
Let me briefly relate a discussion I had in Germany yesterday.

The discussion surrounded getting a German from Nürnberg to our office near Nottingham. Stansted was suggested, since there are direct flights - disadvantage, the arduous drive to Nottingham and cost of rental car. The someone said "what about East Midlands?" This was a no-go too, as there are no "proper" irlines offering interline facilities at AMS / FRA / CDG. So the solution - BHX.

NEMA has made it's own problem. It's scheduled services, with the exception of ABZ and BRU are by LCC carriers that are disliked by international business travellers because they cannot offer proper interline facilities. LCCs screw down costs to the extent that shiny new terminal facilities become more difficult to justify financially. So you wind up with a prefabricated "B&Q" type warehouse that serves as a check-in hall.

NEMA needs to shed (pardon the pun) it's loco image and attract at least one other full-service route to help get higher quality (spending) customers through the gate. Airports like LBA, NCL and BHX have managed to retain the full-service option, without missing out on LCC. This has to be the right strategy for NEMA.

As far cargo - that's surely where NEMA, and therefore MAG are making the money, and if I were them, I would be putting more efforts into improving freight facilities than chasing yet more bottom-end pax business.

Rant over!

almost professional
23rd Nov 2004, 13:15
the full service carrier we did have-BMI-treated NEMA as its personal feifdom-it was only too happy to fly half full aircraft with full fare pax-this is fine for the airline but not so good for the airport which loses out on the revenue generated by in the main pax throughput-and they still expect the airport to provide the facilities expected by those full fare pax
a good example was the christmas/new year period-everyone else would be heaving at these times, yet NEMA would be like a ghost airport-cancelled flights and all-I'm afraid we had little choice to go down the lo/co route and anyway it was hardly the airports idea to change all BMI mainline to baby!

RAT 5
23rd Nov 2004, 13:41
Regarding EJ; why is AMS not served from NEMA? It is from all other bases, and at one time was in the Blue Ribbon group of their routes. However, they have left BMIbaby to monopolise the route, and not offer as convemient a schedule as EJ does within its network.

GrahamK
23rd Nov 2004, 13:56
Regarding EJ; why is AMS not served from NEMA? It is from all other bases

Pretty sure it's not flown from their base at NCL

EastMids
23rd Nov 2004, 16:56
Very nicely put ATNotts - explains very consisely why myself and many other business passengers I know and meet regularly now travel through BHX several times a month whereas in the past it was EMA that we used. And to add to that, the way EMA have hiked up the parking charges in comparison to what BHX charges (they'll get their money one way or another - reduce the landing fees but shaft the customers for parking instead), its almost cheaper for someone from the East Midlands region to drive to Birmingham anyway, and the last time I wanted to fly to CDG British Airways from BHX was cheaper than the so-called low-fare airline at EMA anyway! And whilst I note the perception from almost professional that bmi bled the airport, the lack of long term commitment to specific routes from the low-fare operators (e.g loss of some routes, significant reduction in frequencies and change to less convenient timings on others) hardly encourages a return of commitment from regular travellers.

IMHO, EMA is now starting to reap what it sowed with its encouragement of low cost operators - to quote one tennant in the terminal "its all boozers and shaggers now and they just don't spend, except in the bar". The EMA passenger figures are stagnating whilst most other airports are still delivering double digit growth and if Baby does cut more next year and nothing else changes I think there's a risk that the airport will start to see a decline in numbers because the UK-Med charter market is also in slow but long-term decline too. With none of the major based aircraft incumbants at the airport showing any inclination towards serious route development (the only thing that's happened recently been route withdrawals or juggling existing capacity onto new routes), a fair bit of hope must be being pinned on Ryanair increasing their presence at the airport to boost numbers. With the boozers and shaggers market, there's only so many times they want to go to Prague, or Cologne, whatever the price - sooner or later they want to try somewhere new, and without the route development EMA's passenger figures must be at risk - and as soon as the passengers reduce, the low-fare operators walk away from the route as they don't have the long term commitment full service airlines usually provide.

Finally, EMA used to be a nice place to fly from for regular passengers - simple to get through, fairly cheap for facilities like parking, quick for checkin, security, baggage reclaim and even the catering outlets. Now its just abismal long lines resulting from less than optimal facilities that the focus on cost reduction demands. Shame.

Andy

almost professional
23rd Nov 2004, 17:35
so it was alright for every other airport in the uk to go chasing lo cost even to the extent of paying them to operate but not east mids!
the spend in the terminal is way up, not just the bars, Dixons have been amazed at the amount going through the tills apparently and to be honest the lo cost route is the future-no regional airport was going to continue to exist on a diet of full fare business pax only-many of whom do not park and certainly do not spend-we are trying to get a mix of charter and lo cost that will enable the airport to expand and pay its way- we tried the other route and for one reason or another it did not work -again perhaps the incumbent airline did not help they certainly did not have any long term comitment to any but the core routes, only putting on new routes to prevent new entrants-we have to find our own niche I cant see any full service airline running services from NEMA and Birmingham so we should not try to compete head to head

Mr Angry from Purley
23rd Nov 2004, 17:54
And the Thistle now charge £5 for the pleasure of overnighting the car in their car park...

Leodis
23rd Nov 2004, 18:21
I have always liked NEMA, admittedly I haven't been to NEMA for a couple of years but I have always found it to be a nice airport. It has a good range of destinations scheduled and charter. It has a good range of retail units what the flying public expect these days.

I'm affraid the move from traditional full fare airlines to Loco is an industry wide thing, not just a NEMA problem. In anycase, the leisure passenger probably spends more at the airport than the businessman, who arrives at the airport minutes before close of check-in and whisps through to board his aircraft without spending a dime! The leisure passenger arrives two hours before, spends money in the shops and in the bar.

I would expect MAG would like a better percentage split of full fare/loco/charter ratios, but with the market today, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

LBA has a good cross section of scheduled full fare vs loco but it's downfall is with its poor IT range. At least NEMA has an excellent IT range dispite the general downsizing of the IT business. I think NEMA will continue to do well and I would expect to see reasonable continued growth for the foreseeable future.

:8

EastMids
23rd Nov 2004, 20:55
almost professional, I wasn't saying you should not have gone after low-fare airlines, I was just saying that the way EMA has gone about it is unfortunate - most other airports have managed a reasonable balance between low-fare and full-service, but EMA has not. And I believe that now has the potential to come to backfire, UNLESS you can find some further route growth that really isn't happening right now.

I don't think your bashing British Midland of the past really helps - they made the airport what it is in terms of scheduled services, and its only reasonable that they wanted to protect what they built. And whichever way you cut it, they did have long term commitment to the core routes until the low-fare brigade were let in - routes which, with the exception of the now growing direct-sell Med routes, are probably the only ones that are really sustainable out of EMA at anything other than very low-fares. Without British Midland, EMA would probably have gone the way Sheffield looks set to go or would be a sleepy hole like Humberside or Norwich are now, but it would have happened in the late '60s or early '70s.

In any case, I still think EMA was wrong to jump so much onto the low-fare bandwagon - with upstarts such as Coventry and Finningley coming on line, further dilution of the low-fare market will occur. Whichever way you cut it, EMA's growth is WAY lower than all the other low-fare airports, and again unless the airport can generate some new routes in fairly short order I see a potential for the figures to decline rather than increase. Its at that point where you need a core of business traffic that uses the facilities on a regular basis, to sustain the bottom line when the more fickle low-fare market suffers a drop - but sadly for EMA most of that has gone to BHX.

Andy

almost professional
23rd Nov 2004, 21:16
NEMA's growth this year may have been behind some others but the previous two years were most definetly not-and how is it that Birmingham has hardly grown at all the last year-in fact our IT has remained level while just about every other regional (including egbb) has lost out in that market
as for the direction the airport has taken-we will have to differ on that, as someone whose livelyhood depends directly on the continuing success I know I was fully behind the decisions taken, and feel long term that there was no alternative, whether we like it or not lo cost is here to stay and for most airports is the only way to grow-again witness the efforts taken by other airports to gain lo cost carriers, Bristol for instance-I would guess that nearly all their growth is due to Easyjet

we_never_change
23rd Nov 2004, 21:35
As regards to Birminghams growth so far this year, Continental have gone double daily to Newark (reduced slightly over the winter) & Alitalia have started a double daily flight to Milan.

AS from next year, bmi baby move into Birmingham, Gulf Air start, Flybe begin some sunshine routes (with B737), Emirates goes double daily. There we have a nice mix between loco & scheduled full fare airlines.

WNC
-Not wishing to start an EMA vs BHX debate

ATNotts
24th Nov 2004, 08:23
Almost Professional:

Where NEMA has got it wrong is in the balance of "Full Service" versus LCC operations.

Bristol is extremely successful, with a large EZY operation, but it still retains key "full service" carriers serving the local business community via AMS, BRU, and CDG - and even BA are still in situe giving choice and flexibility to the entire market, not just one segment. NEMA, as I said previously has ABZ (hardly a major long-haul hub) and BRU - probably the least useful of all the mainland European hub airports.

BHX's problems over the last 6 months or so are attributable almost exclusively to the duo fiasco. IMHO it will be those airports (outside London) with a balanced range of services, such as NCL, LBA, BRS, MAN and BHX which will win out in the end.

As for LCC passenger spend in the terminal, I'm not there, and I don't have the statistics. However I was told a while ago that pax to some destinations, such as Dublin and Prague spend very little, and what they do spend is on booze (and of course the ridiculously expensive car parking!).

Evil J
24th Nov 2004, 11:14
I must echo almost professional's sentiments. bmi CHOSE to start baby as a LCC in competition with Go,the airport, nor anyone else made them stop being a "full service provider".

Similarly the airport can't make someone like BA start flying out of NEMA; indeed I can't see why BA would want to use NEMA with BHX being so close.

As for the car parking; I don't think in the big scheme of things it is out of the ordinary. Yes its gone up but then thats the price of flying with an LCC.

ATNotts, I think you need to accept that NEMA isn't a charity, and isn't here to pander to the likes of you.

Now where can I get a "drink and a shag??":D

ATNotts
24th Nov 2004, 11:36
Evil J:

NEMA is not there to "panda" to me - actually I choose to fly direct from Stansted by AB on my regualr trips to Germany.

However you seem to suggest that the only important market is now the LCC one. In that I beg to differ. The big spenders on air travel are the business travellers, who often use Business and First class cabins, and do spend money in airport shops, and stay in expensive airport hotels.

One thing we can agree on is economics. And for as long as NEMA relies upon LCC for 95% of it's pax then you can forget piers, air-bridges, comfy terminals etc etc etc. as LCCs, (especially Ryanair) don't want them, and certainly won't fund them! Hopefully, until the LCC bubble bursts, there will however be money to be made on cheep and cheerful facilities - such as NEMA offers.

mr grumpy
24th Nov 2004, 13:22
In an ideal world NEMA would indeed have a mix of low cost and full fare to cater for everyone. Perhaps also a sprinkling of long haul - USA and the Far East. Unfortunately someone has to persuade the operators to do it. BMI set the scene when they converted to low cost, and that hardly sends a message that NEMA's catchment can support both types of operator. It says we, an efficient full fare airline can't compete with either the low cost operators or having Birmingham and a large scheduled route structure just down the road.

Unfortunately when you get low cost you also get the problems - rapid passenger growth, heaving terminals and minimum income from landing fees, so the car parking charges go up to pay for the terminal extensions that were needed yesterday. Of course you don't get a five year lead time so you can't keep ahead of the game. Did anyone really think five years ago that low cost would grow so dramatically?

Hindsight is fantastic. Low cost and the effect they have is here to stay and at every airport, whether they like it or not. I don't think it's fair to blame NEMA if your individual requirements aren't catered for, blame the operators who have no imagination or adventure (mind you they are businesses who are in it to make money, which probably clouds their judgement!). I'm sure NEMA management spend a lot of time and money trying to encourage other services and they certainly now cater for a considerably wider range of customers than a few years ago.

I think they've done a pretty good job so far, they just need to build a decent terminal before the world runs out of oil!

MerchantVenturer
24th Nov 2004, 16:28
Bristol for instance-I would guess that nearly all their growth is due to Easyjet
almost professional,

You are correct in this although I think ATNotts makes a good point when he says that Bristol does have a spread of 'full service' carriers as well.

easyJet recently announced that it carried 2.15 million pax through BRS in the previous 12 months, a shade under 50% of the airport's 4.5 million pax.

However, BRS is apparently a profitable base for BACx (according to several contributors in a recent thread about the subject) and the airline is to base a fifth ERJ 145 at Lulsgate next spring. They seem to compete profitably with easyJet on both EDI and GLA as well as flying to CDG, MUC, FRA and JER.

In addition the following scheduled airlines operate from BRS: KLM Cityhopper, SN Brussels, Aer Lingus, Aer Arann, Eastern Airways, Air Southwest, Aurigny and Scilly Sky bus in the summer.

On top of that are the low cost carriers, Ryanair and Flybe, and Continental is due to start a daily EWR next May.

Also bear in mind that BRS has competitors at CWL, EXT, BHX (handy for those in the northern parts of Greater Bristol) and to an extent SOU, plus of course the main London airports.

Until the last few years I always regarded EMA as a bigger airport than BRS but the latter seems to have caught up and, so far, has done so with a mix of low cost and full service carriers. I believe EMA's charter traffic (especially in the summer) is larger than BRS.

EastMids
24th Nov 2004, 16:42
Bristol is really where EMA should be, for all the reasons already mentioned - and EMA might still be experiencing the double digit growth that Bristol is had that been the case. Sadly, given EMA appears to have largely given up on trying to gain full-service operations (probably a realistic approach given the lack of facilities, queues and charging structure there now) it will be beholden to the vagaries of the low-fare market which without new route development is not a recipe for long term growth - I suspect that EMA would have quite liked to have been the subject of Ryanair's recent UK base announcement, but unless that airline has another new base up their sleeve that opportunity seems to have passed by for now. Talk that I hear that the major terminal redevelopment might not now happen until 2009 perhaps reflects a realism that the growth of the last couple of years is not going to be sustained or repeated.

almost professional
24th Nov 2004, 17:13
sorry east mids but dont think its a case of giving up on full service-we only ever had the one and they gave up on us!
to be honest it was never a major portion of the pax throughput-charter always outsold it, and it looks like becoming a declining part of air travel except for certain airports, one of which we were never likely to be-Bristol has its own niche, and catchment wise is different again, it cetainly does not have the 500lb gorilla that is EGBB down the road
when it comes to other airports to compare a better choice would be Luton-they have not had a full service carrier based since what Autair?-yet 9,5 million people seemed to want to travel from there, without the trappings you seem to feel we lack
all in all with the lo/co's charter and cargo-NO1 in pure freight, we do not do so bad-we are making money-and if we have to let a part of the market go then so be it-though I would hazard a guess that when the terminal redevelopement is up and running then the situation with other carriers may change-that is certainly what happened at Bristol

phil_2405
24th Nov 2004, 18:41
If easyJet had not taken over 'Go', would NEMA still be a 3 a/c base I wonder??

almost professional
24th Nov 2004, 19:33
my guess is we would be a bigger base than Bristol

Mike16
26th Nov 2004, 08:08
hi

Well last year EMA was doing a monarch flight to Amritstar and because this was so succesful they increased flights to 2 a week, where are they this season ?
I know there were a lot of problems with this flight, always delayed etc.......
Also where is this so called train station that was going to link up the airport to a rail network ?
I do agree with you about car parking charges, for example i did a flight yesterday to cologne and we had a business guy going out to cologne for the day and night and he told me that his car parking cost more than his actual flight ! if this is true this is mad. he said that if BHX operated cologne he would have flown from there as he said car parking at EMA was just a joke and a shame for such a brilliant airport that he has used for years, so because EMA want to rip our customers of, they are going to lose mega custom.
Take care
michael

almost professional
26th Nov 2004, 09:29
without having any data to support this-are NEMA car park charges significantly greater than our competitors? and if someone pays next to nothing for their flight does that mean we have to price accordingly?
the Amritsar has gone back to Birmingham apparently, though rumours of more sub continent flights abound-the parkway station is the preserve of National Express and is held up in planning-now thats a suprise!

Mike16
26th Nov 2004, 16:32
Hi

Shame about losing the indian flight, this was a good coup for EMA i would have thought, wonder why it went ?
What other new routes could be in the pipe line then ? what i don't understand is that the cargo side of EMA has flights that go to new york, hong kong etc..... why no carriers for pax there? This would really put EMA in the spotlight.

take care

Mr Angry from Purley
26th Nov 2004, 18:26
Mike

New York and Hong Kong Freight flights are a joint DHL and Lufthansa venture, pax wise thats like a BA / American / Cathy codeshare type venture
Also where are the punters gonna come from!

Mike16
26th Nov 2004, 22:26
Hi

I think EMA could really pull it of, great location just of the M1, centre of the country, also Derby , Leicester, Nottingham , Lincs, Yorkshire are all near by, after all the east midlands ai expecting a 26% population growth by 2020,with people moving up from the south etc.......
Why do people always knock EMA ? yes it has it's faults but hasn't any one ?
I know brittania have brought back the barbados flight this winter, so this must be a good sign ?

EastMids
26th Nov 2004, 23:46
almost professional,

The NEMA parking charges are (a) somewhat higher than before the low-fare boom, and by that I mean price rises are way above what could be justified by inflation, and (b) designed to shaft the short trippers - that is, the people away for one, two, three or four days. I gather that for the two week people, NEMA is competitive with other airports in the region, which I guess protects the EMA IT market.

Of course, is the short break people that the low-fare operators often cater to and therefore just the pax you want to retrieve otherwise lost revenue from, but it also hits the business travellers hard. For example, on a day trip one day in short term parking now £25, but minimum charge in long stay is FIVE days which makes it expensive for short trips in comparison to BHX where long stay is just a daily charge but there's no minimum. Furthermore, BHX long stay is walkable to the terminal, EMA is most definitely not - another "convenience" factor to consider. NEMA has now invented this "medium stay" concept (I believe out of necessity due to complaints on pricing) which very few other airports have - it sits mid-way between short and long term, but you can't escape the fact that its still more than the long stay at other airports in the region which don't have a restriction on the minimum stay in such car parks.

Vibes I get are that numbers are down in comparison to 2003 now we're into the winter season - anyone care to verify before the official figures are released? Ryanair putting significant capacity into the Italian market at short notice due the Volare collapse and FlyBe setting up a base at Norwich can't help rumours that NEMA will increase numbers through expansion by one or both of these carriers, can it? Or maybe you know better?

You may be making financial numbers (your suggestion), but I wonder how much of that is freight as opposed to passengers? Care to comment on the suggestion that the new terminal development (I don't mean the extension to the IDL that starts next week) might be put back to 2009 - if correct, can that be a good sign?

Ah well, I guess I don't care that much really. I have to go to Lisbon on Monday. Cheapest fare (with a connection) from BHX is £249, cheapest fare from EMA (again with a connection) is £898 - enough said, whatever the parking charges!

Andy

Well last year EMA was doing a monarch flight to Amritstar and because this was so succesful they increased flights to 2 a week, where are they this season ?

Amritsar flights hit a snag with licencing / approvals - up until then it had variously been supposedly to be operated by Monarch, Air Scandic and/or FlyJet. Then Midland Airways / Air Slovakia launched their 767 flights ex BHX and that largely killed the concept.

Andy

almost professional
27th Nov 2004, 09:52
pax numbers will be up for this year-not sure of exact details, but certainly we broke 500,000 for some of the summer months-a record for us, winter IT is holding up well-with some long haul starting this winter
with regard to carparking I do know that problems have been identified with the product and ways to fix are enroute-but such decisions are above my paygrade! you are correct of course in that the airport needs to generate revenue to make up the lack of passenger charge-we are no different here than any other-at least we have carparks on site unlike a certain new entrant down the M69
cargo is a part of the business yes-but pax operations still provide the lions share, cargo's benefits come in being non seasonal etc
new terminal developement is still in design stage I believe, my guess is timescale is more down to planning applications than anything else! the airport is aware of what is needed-hopefully we can get a facility that will do us proud-and will lead to the kind of expansion that the new terminals at Bristol and Liverpool did

egnxema
29th Nov 2004, 16:15
EastMids,

Granted, one day in the short stay is £25.00. But one day in the medium stay, still within a walk of the Terminal, alternatively on the shuttle bus, is £8.00 pre booked.

BHX Long Term Multi Story, pre booked, is £8.30 per day.

For a 4 day break. BHX is 33.20, EMA is 32.00

I understand the EMA charges are higher than they used to be. But BHX's must be too! They are still cheaper than BHX!

Vick Van Guard
30th Nov 2004, 08:42
egnxema

EMA does not have a multi-story car park so shall we compare like for like shall we.:)

For four days surface parking within walk of the terminal it is £28.80 at BHX and £36 at EMA.

Prior to EMA becoming 'low cost' I could park at EMA for £18.00 for four days. Overnight it went to £32 and now it is £36.00!

So now I don't bother.:eek:

There is also a minimum charge of £36.00 in the medium stay car park so you can forget about the £8.00/day comparison.

Furthermore at BHX you do not have the nonsense of not being able to collect or drop off outside the terminal. :ok:

phil_2405
30th Nov 2004, 11:16
As discussed in another pprune forums, Ryanair have announced Shannon as their next base. The new routes include NEMA - Shannon daily.

On the negative side, fairly severe cuts by bmibaby for next summer :ugh:

egnxema
30th Nov 2004, 14:46
Vick Van Guard

Mate - I need your help to see where I'm going wrong.

This is copied from the EMA website:-

Medium Stay ( Executive ) Car parks 1,2,3,4

Duration ( Days) Pre-Booked
Up to 1 day £8.00
2 £16.00
3 £24.00
4 £32.00
5 £40.00
6 £48.00

And the BHX website:-

Over 1 day
(per day) £12.90
Pre-book
(per day) £8.30
Pre-book
Typical 4 day short break £33.20

I KNOW EMA doesn't have a multistory - don't see what difference that makes though.

BHX surface Long Stay car parks are not within walking distance of the Terminal buildings.

I am not one bit interested in discussing the differences between the two airports, they are in different leagues, but I just don't get why people state that it is better to drive to BHX because the parking charges are SO MUCH CHEAPER, when clearly they are not. If you live North or East of EMA, surely it costs more simply to drive the extra distance to BHX.

At the end of the day, you pays your money, you makes your choice.

EastMids
30th Nov 2004, 16:13
Flew from EMA Monday morning for a change. What a mistake. Security lines stretching back to the cash machines at just after 06:00 (compare to about 20 people in the line at BHX the week before when I flew out at a similar time), which meant that they had to call forward passengers for some flights, making the wait in the queue for those of us who were considerate and checked in within a reasonable time even longer. Two x-ray machines not being used - wake up NEMA, its your busiest time of day so use ALL of the facilities and process the passengers reasonably quickly.

GBP3.95 for a bacon butty and GBP1.95 for a cup of nasty coffee - foxtrot oscar EMA, a GOOD coffee at Starbucks at BHX is far better and cheaper.

From what I am told, car park behind checkin hall (other side of road up to tower and old RM building) now allocated to staff for the winter - saves the airport money on staff coach service but means the poor sods who pay to use the airport have to walk further - great passenger service idea NEMA! NOT!

Passenger numbers may be up slightly right now, but that's mainly due to Ryanair. Down side is loss of Aurigny in January and cut back Baby schedule for next Summer. Even with the new Shannon route, are you sure the numbers are going to hold up? Plenty more choice down the road at BHX now - if NEMA treats customers like it does and shafts them on charges, the numbers will go down.

phil_2405
30th Nov 2004, 17:44
From what I am told, car park behind checkin hall (other side of road up to tower and old RM building) now allocated to staff for the winter - saves the airport money on staff coach service but means the poor sods who pay to use the airport have to walk further - great passenger service idea NEMA! NOT!

Not quite correct...Car Park 3 is the staff car park for the winter.

I agree that next years pax figures may start to fall unless management pull some new routes/airlines out of the bag soon-ish

rock737
1st Dec 2004, 21:06
I dont think car parking is that bad its better tan stansted for example, anyway does anyone know what expansion in charters there will be next summer and what each charter airline will base.

It would be nice to have a 757 from TCX, a 757 from AMM with a A321 doing a reduced week, a 763 and 762 for BY and for MYT 2 A321s oh and an XLA B738.

Does anyone know

MarkBHX
1st Dec 2004, 21:08
Have XLA confirmed their aircraft? I only say this because for the past two years they have said they would base an aircraft at bhx, only for them to subcontract the work to Islandsflug in 2003 and Air Malta this year.

egnxema
6th Dec 2004, 07:28
Of those 20 airbuses that EZY have said they are looking to place - will any of them replace the 733 fleet at EMA?

Little Blue
6th Dec 2004, 11:42
Problem with EMA is that, despite the massive expansion in routes, it is still being run as it was back in the late 80's, as a small, provincial airport.
I agree, BHX is a better run station, but they planned for their expansion and are paying the dividends !
Shame, cos I love EMA (Never NEMA !!).
As 4 the gripes about the food quality and the extortianate prices...
Bring back the CROC POT !!
;)

GrahamK
6th Dec 2004, 12:23
Air Scandic are basing a Finnair MD-83 at EMA next summer. Destinations on the Air Scandic website.

Excel Airways website suggests a based a/c, though whether these are operated on the SCY flights who know?

egnxema
7th Dec 2004, 07:23
Ah! Little Blue - childhood memories - The big green plastic croc, domestic arrivals down in that corner too. Those huge weighing scales that Orion had at their check in desks. The strong smell of aviation fuel when you stood balanced on the rail of the spectatiors balcony........

Little Blue
7th Dec 2004, 09:51
Indeed..although Domestic arrivals consisted of a door from the ramp and the smallest baggage carousel known to man !!
I remember how, prior to us boarding the Dub pax, a member of staff from Duty free would come into the Dom lounge to take pax orders and then, whilst the pax were queuing at the a/c, they'd wheel all the stuff out on a trolley and hand it out !
Ahhhh.....sorry, I was wallowing in self-reminisce there, for a mo !
Still, at least Mr Bradbury is still there...as long as there is a Bradders, there is an EMA !
;)

Electric Sky
7th Dec 2004, 13:06
Which came first .... the Bradders or the Airport?

ES ;)

killbill
7th Dec 2004, 15:08
to all who moan that staff get to use carpark 3..

"saves the airport money on staff coach service but means the poor sods who pay to use the airport have to walk further - great passenger service idea "

the staff who use the airport everyday AND pay for there car parking to boot, should be the ones to park right outside the terminal. Pax can get a bus, they don't have to do it every day.

EastMids
7th Dec 2004, 15:27
You've got a strange idea about customer service, something exemplified in much of what goes on at the airport since the low-fare "revolution"

Fried_Chicken
24th Dec 2004, 23:08
Anybody able to confirm or deny that once the Easyjet B737-300s are retired, EMA will be a base for the B737-700 as i've also heard the A319 mentioned. Easyjets 319s are already frequent visitors to EMA for training.

Also, during the start of January 2005, Ryanair ops should be B737-800 only with no -200s appearing.

Fried Chicken

phil_2405
25th Dec 2004, 11:19
I have been told NEMA will become a easyJet B737-700 base next year.

topjet330
29th Dec 2004, 21:30
i sort of heard that the first choice B767 was flying to Larnaca next year on a sunday, after an increase in the number of seats avaiable

egnxema
10th Jan 2005, 12:51
With rumours of the WW CDG flight going back to BD would there be a market for EZY to do EMA CDG or ORY?

If WW switch NCE and AMDS to BD as well, could EZY move in on those routes?

:ooh:

nema/robin hood
10th Jan 2005, 17:15
egnxema, I think there is plenty of scope for EZY & FR to expand !!

What about these for starters ?

EZY to CDG/ORY, AMS, NCE, BFS, SXF, BUD, MAD, KRK & WAW

FR to PIK, CRL, HHN & NYO

easyJet & Ryanair employees PLEASE pass on this info !!

Lets have a truly FAB LOCO airport to be proud of !!

egnxema
14th Jan 2005, 07:24
From their website.

Now selling a new weekly scheduled flight, every Tuesday from 24MAY05 - 25OCT05, then from 05NOV05 the weekly flight will operate on Saturdays.

Flights scheduled to depart EMA at 19:00.

Aircraft MD90

What do our online friends at bmi think of the rumoured alterations at EMA?

What are your thoughts James737 and bmibaby.com?

Mike16 - what is the latest from easy? Not heard from you on here in ages!

And how are things looking from up where you are Almost Prof?

It really does feel like "Sleepy Hollow" at EMA this winter.:sad:

Mike16
14th Jan 2005, 13:13
Hi

It is quiet really, the airport in my eyes seems to be going down hill abit. With bmibaby concentrating more on BHX, no TCX at all, shame it was a nice aircraft, the only busy one i see is BY.
Regards to EZY, well the latest we have heard is we are due to get our 700's very soon, i think april / may time.
I have heard nothing on new routes etc...... so is there anyone else out there who can help ?

Bye

egnxema
14th Jan 2005, 14:28
Hi Mike -

TCX will be back with a vengance from May 1st

www.flythomascook.com

Mike16
14th Jan 2005, 15:21
Hi

What do u mean ? more aircraft ? that would be nice , what about other carriers there, i know FCA are doing the usa, dom south and mexico, is there any other new carriers ? new routes ? or anything ?

Bye

phil_2405
14th Jan 2005, 20:47
As far as I am aware there are no new airlines/routes in the immediate pipeline, not on any large scale at least! The start of a downturn for NEMA?! :confused:

Little Blue
15th Jan 2005, 10:08
EMA...
Not my airport, anymore...It saddens me to see how soulless it has become.
Just a LOCO airport, with LOCO management running ths show.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...
Bring back the Crocpot, and whilst yr at it, chuck out the baby hierachy, over at the Pathfinder, and put the bar back in !!
Who remembers the Karaoke nights back in the early 90's?
Ahhhhhhh...
:(

Mike16
15th Jan 2005, 17:15
Hi

Well saw it all today, came back at lunch time from my Faro flight, and walking through security in the check in hall to go back to our crew room, and the security check in for PAX was nearly at cafe ritazza !!!!!! that is some bloody long queue.
This is really bad for the airport indeed as Satursay is quite a busy day at EMA with ski flights etc.......
Going back to EMA future, i remember last year someone saying on here that KLM or a lo-co version of them, was to be basing at EMA, where are they ?
Come on guys someone must know what is happening at EMA ?

Bye

egnxema
17th Jan 2005, 12:11
A year ago we were promised that a name change would bring new routes, and that MAN plc would be paying for a new terminal.

Here we are January 05 and the place really feels stuck in the doldrums.

What is going wrong? Are airlines simply not interested - or is the Developement Dept at EMA not working as well as LPL BRS MAN and LTN Developement Depts.

:confused:

bmibaby.com
17th Jan 2005, 12:28
I think a lot of the fate of many routes currently operated out of NEMA depends on the rather volatile no-frills airline industry. As bmibaby seem to be focusing their expansion out of BHX, EasyJet have not made it clear of any plans for expansion of their services, no more has come of the negotiations between flybe & NEMA for flights to Belfast and no news coming from the proposed Germanwings flights, I have no idea what will happen.

I could see NEMA becoming a bmi or bmi regional base again, but I doubt it would end up being ERJ-145 base. The baby operation has shown there is a market for larger aircraft, and so perhaps the airline will use Airbus or larger Embraer types at the airport.

As far as I'm aware, the airport is looking for a new managing director. I can't see any huge negotiations for the airport until a new one comes along. I doubt we'll see any major announcement for summer 2005, sadly. But I do hope Ryanair & EasyJet will expand from NEMA, and that WW/BD will make up their minds for what they want to do.

Fried_Chicken
19th Jan 2005, 18:04
In the past, Airbus have sent some of their newer products (A340 & A330) which have been powered by Rolls Royce engines to EMA for RR staff to have a look around.

Any ideas if Airbus have any plans to send the RR powered A380 to EMA? Presumably the runway is long enough & they have enough space to park the beast.

Fried Chicken

almost professional
19th Jan 2005, 19:05
A380 is code F like AN124, so could not get it down taxyway past main apron, but runway is ample I guess, and it would fit on Western cargo apron as we do with the Antonov-just backtrack when required-probably a good bet to see it at some point-also UPS have ordered some!

caa19
19th Jan 2005, 20:00
From the NEMA website...

19 January 2005
Celebrating More New Routes From NEMA For 2005
Nottingham East Midlands Airport is proud to announce that bmi are expanding their operations to include flights to Paris Charles de Gaulle and Nice from March.

Direct flights to both destinations start on 27 March. Paris Charles de Gaulle will operate three times daily Monday to Friday, daily on Saturdays and twice daily on Sundays. Nice operate daily on Saturdays and Sundays. They already operate a route to Brussels from NEMA.

Flights will be an all-jet, full-service operation, offering both business and economy class seating. The new bmi regional schedule will replace the current Nottingham East Midlands to Paris CDG and Nice flights which are operated by bmi low-cost subsidiary bmibaby.

Crawford Rix, Managing Director of bmi regional, said,
“bmi regional are delighted to be expanding services at Nottingham East Midlands. The return of the Nice and Paris CDG routes back into our flight schedule will increase our weekly flight offering from 18 to 38, over three destinations from the airport. Whether flying for business or leisure, our passengers can be assured of convenient flight times, competitive low fares in both cabins, frequent flyer benefits and of course our full-service in-flight offering.”

In May, NEMA begins its first long-haul programme – the first in the Airport’s history and a huge boost in choice for passengers in the region. First Choice decided on NEMA over Birmingham to fly to the Dominican Republic, Cancun and Florida.

Other brand new routes for 2005 include:

Antalya, Turkey
Bergen, Norway
Chania, Crete
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Kalamata, Greece
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Santorini, Greece
Skiathos, Greece
Volos, Greece
Also, in February 2005, Ryanair begin operating their new route to Rome.

Caroline Plant, NEMA General Manager Sales and Marketing said,
“These are very exciting times for NEMA…throughout the year we have introduced twelve brand new routes for 2005, giving us a bigger portfolio of destinations than ever before. Today’s announcement from bmi is a great endorsement of our service. A major overhaul of the terminal is also taking place in time for the summer season, which can only enhance the whole passenger experience at NEMA”.

ATNotts
20th Jan 2005, 08:07
More new routes....Paris and Nice....

Has NEMA management employed a New Labour spin doctor???

Mike16
20th Jan 2005, 15:25
Hi All

Has anyone seen the BBC1 local news and also read the Derby evening telegraph, about the name change of the airport.
I read the article and it was very interesting reading about the New name of NEMA
The evening telegraph rang all the airports that Ema cover and only 3 said, they fly to NEMA, almost all of them say they fly to EMA, and they have never heard of Nottingham.
What a laugh, this is, lets go back and call it, the good old east midlands airport. It should never have changed anyway.
Take care all
bye

Fried_Chicken
20th Jan 2005, 16:57
More new routes....Paris and Nice....

Didn't bmi baby previously operate these two routes, i'm pretty sure they flew to Paris CDG!! So really they aren't new, they are being just transferred from bmi baby to bmi Mainline

FC

acbus1
20th Jan 2005, 17:32
Didn't bmi baby previously operate these two routes
And bmi Mainline before baby!

All they're doing is playing musical chairs with the operator and aircraft type. One wonders if they actually know what they're doing!

They're certainly giving Ezy an obvious way to elbow in and take over.

Mike16
20th Jan 2005, 17:44
Hi

With regards to EZY , watch this space !!!!!

Hi

I work for EZY and the rumour at the base is that we are having the 700\'s very soon, and apparently we may be having another aircraft very soon, let\'s hope so ,we are very busy as a base and i think any new more routes will go down a success like the Rome and Cologne have done.

Bye

nema/robin hood
20th Jan 2005, 18:04
Mike16

Have you had word about EZY expanding at EMA then ?

If so, spill the beans !!!

terrywilcox
20th Jan 2005, 18:14
Some talk about EZY coming to DSA,but won't know till after 31st.Jan. Only arumour,but that's what the site is about.

Mike16
20th Jan 2005, 19:26
Hi

I met one of the big bosses of EZY the other day and she says our future at EMA is very promising and they are AWARE of BMIbabys position, of moving over to BHX, and they realise we have scope at EMA.
The only down size to EMA, is that airport apparently is very expensive to operate from, and this is not EZY style, so that is why they have not expanded at EMA like other bases have done like NCL, BFS etc.......
So keep all fingers crossed and let's hope we get there.

Bye

shark1
20th Jan 2005, 19:42
no more news about the Toulouse route for summer with BmiBaby please ?

nema/robin hood
20th Jan 2005, 19:43
Thanks Mike16

It would be GREAT to see EZY expand at EMA. As you say there is plenty of scope now baby seem to be 'down sizing'.

I'll keep my fingers & everything else crossed !!

Keep us upto date if you can.

phil_2405
20th Jan 2005, 20:01
Fingers crossed for EZY expansion @ NEMA then!!

I'm sure NEMA management could come up with a deal for EZY, esp with baby downsizing and no apparent source of growth at the moment.

egnxema
21st Jan 2005, 10:52
Expensive airports are a lot less FR's style, yet they seem to have launched more new EMA routes in the last year than EZY?

How come?

Mike16
21st Jan 2005, 11:20
Hi

Ryanair have only been there for a year, i am not sure if it is that yet ! So how can you compare that to EZY who do 9 routes, we announced 2 new routes this year our CGN and CIA, we got rid of the BCN GLA as glasgow is expensive to operate to and Barcelona our slot was going.
We all thought EMA was going to be a base for FR, where is it ?
They obvisouly know it is an expensive airport to operate from, this is the downside to EMA, they could do so well, prime location etc......

Bye

phil_2405
21st Jan 2005, 12:27
Expensive airports are a lot less FR's style, yet they seem to have launched more new EMA routes in the last year than EZY?

How come?

The airport will have different deals with each airline so Ryanair have obviously got a better deal than EZY. Also EZY have been operating from NEMA for several years now so any initial deal incentives will probably have reduced, whereas Ryanair is still in its first year and I'm sure NEMA gave them a good deal to attract them across from BHX.

I think RYR will launch a few more routes from NEMA but still not using NEMA as a base.

C'mon easyJet...NEMA is ure's for the taking!

aeulad
24th Jan 2005, 11:36
Apologies if this has already been noted, but have seen Croatian is to start a summer scheduled EMA-DBV on a Tuesday with a 319.

Regards

Mike

Navy_Adversary
25th Jan 2005, 22:20
It has been reported on BBC TV East midlands that NEMA is spending £2 million upgrading facilities such as a new lounge, shops etc.
Presumably these improvements will still be of use if the airport has a new terminal in the future, or will it be 2 mill down the drain?

Secondly I have a query, was one of the main instigators of the airports name change a senior figure in BMI Baby? The very airline that is now downsizing at EGNX and increasing capacity at BHX.:mad:

Evil J
25th Jan 2005, 22:35
Well quite...but the name still needed sorting.

egnxema
26th Jan 2005, 08:28
In airport speak, "£2 million" is not alot of money for a facelift.

It will be money well spent to see the current terminal through to the time the new one is in place.

From BBC:-

Airport gets facilities facelift
A £2m upgrade is starting on facilities for passengers at Nottingham East Midlands Airport.
The work will include construction of more shops, an executive lounge, internet access and refurbished flooring and seating.

Work has already begun on extending the departure lounge and adding bar facilities at the airport in Castle Donington, Leics.

The new executive lounge will have seating for 40 people.

Most of the work will be completed by May 2005, when the airport is planning to introduce new long-haul routes, including some to the Dominican Republic, Cancun and Florida.

Vick Van Guard
26th Jan 2005, 14:15
Flew out of NEMA yesterday, the bar and coffee shop in the international departure lounge are closed and boarded up (with much activity taking place if the noise was anything to go by).

The facilities upstairs which only used to be availible landside have been closed off and are now availible airside. So if you want a coffee/beer/burger/whatever airside you now have to go upstairs.

Good news about the new lounge, it was a very sad day when bmi closed theirs.:ok:

Navy_Adversary
27th Jan 2005, 17:20
On BBC Midlands teletext (again!) last night it stated that BMI Baby flew to 20 different destinations from EGNX in 2004.
In 2005 it will be 11, now I cannot vouch if these figures are accurate or not, but nobody can dispute that the airline are putting more eggs in the basket of BHX than NEMA.
It still annoys me that the BMI Baby guy persuaded airport management to change the name to Nottingham then gave a Winston Churchill and slid off down the A/M42 to Birmingham.

Bring back EMA, that's what I say:ok:

Mike16
31st Jan 2005, 14:31
Hi

In our local paper The Derby Evening Telegraph today, it states in there that figures are now down at EMA and that the recent poll RE: name change has not helped much at all. Also with BMIbaby shifting more than 50% of there services over to BHX, not much of a future now at EMA.
So lets hope EZY get in well very soon.

Bye

Evil J
31st Jan 2005, 16:37
"not much of a future now at EMA"

You obviously haven't been around during the night!! Still handling more freight than any other airport apart from Heathrow...who needs pax!!!:ok: :E

Not only that but I am reliably informed from within that the move to Brum is more to do with the "Maersk-ism"within baby than any other commercial factors-time will tell if its a good move for them.

Daza
31st Jan 2005, 16:42
Sounds like sour grapes to me!!
BMIBaby had its biggest passenger numbers in the launch week of a new base and have sold more than 120000 seats for the year to Oct. The reason you have all the freight is because EMA is in the middle of no-where BHX has strict noise restrictions due to the proximity of the city. Dont blame EMAs problems on the success of the UKs 2nd largest airport outside London
Darren

phil_2405
31st Jan 2005, 17:34
but I am reliably informed from within that the move to Brum is more to do with the "Maersk-ism"within baby than any other commercial factors

What do you mean by this Evil J??:confused:

egnxema
1st Feb 2005, 07:16
Hi Mike-

Beware of the Derby Telegraph - it is not known for its objective reporting.

These are the figures published by the airport company:-

Passenger Figures
2004: 4.38 million 2.9% increase on 2003
2003: 4.26 milllion 32% increase on 2002
2002: 3.2 million

Passengers in December 04
274,054, 19% up on December 03

As is often the case, you can make a number of headlines out of these figures, both good and bad. The airport has increased its annual pax numbers, despite a reduction in the number of WW services.

True, the increase percentage has fallen, alot, but exactly the same is true at STN, and I think you'll find that BHX figures were not so good for 2004.

At the moment LPL LTN and NCL seem to be doing very well in the LoCo sector.

One thing for sure is that you have to look at growth over a longer period of time, and EMA has grown - most of the time steadily rather than explosively - since it opened.

2005 will see new long haul services, a new scheduled service to Malta and Solvenia. The return of business facilities in the terminal for the bmi BRU, CDG and NCE flights.

easyJet are holding strong, Ryanair are growing their market.

EMA has a solid foundation. It does need to improve its marketing and development teams.

It will be fery interesting to see what happens in the Brum Scrum. With Baby, Monarch, FlyBE fighting it out new this year, and TOM bighting their ankles down the road at CVT.

BHX is doing well - but all that glitters is not gold - and I can't see that EZY of FR will not put the pressure on, either at EMA or BRS.
WW is still a small fish in the big pond, Jet2 is flexing stronger muscles than WW.

With the Jet2, EZY, TOM and FR sharks circling the BHX pond, and the pond itself being a fighting ground, I for one would not be pulling party poppers and streamers at the thought of my airline basing there.

It will be interesting to watch.

Mike16
2nd Feb 2005, 14:46
Hi

Well we landed today , what a lovely sight i saw, a Lovely BIG virgin Atlantic plane doing tests runs at EMA, plane spotters would have loved it, going up and down, we as crew were mesmorised, please , well if only VS would come here ? now we are dreaming........
But if VS has a super plane , i think it was a A340 ? why can't other carriers , big ones i mean , come to EMA?

Bye

phil_2405
2nd Feb 2005, 15:18
The Virgin Atlantic aircraft is a A340-300 G-VHOL. Currently doing training circuits at NEMA. It arrived at lunchtime today.

Mike16
2nd Feb 2005, 15:35
Hi Phil

She is lovely, would love to sit in it and go round EMA , just wished there were more at EMA....

:(

barry lloyd
2nd Feb 2005, 15:38
You can quote all the passenger numbers you like, and talk about expansion too, but it doesn't alter the fact that the owners have failed to invest, even minimally, in infrastructure for the pax.
Consider that nowhere airside do they show you which gate the flight is going from, until the last minute. The desks which the staff have to use at the airside departure gates are less than useless. They stopped using these systems at Manchester in the 1970's! The printers never work, and you can't get pax lists and loadsheets off them without a load of hassle. All this does is frustrate pax and staff alike, and has been known to cause delays.
Why are there no dedicated gates for EZY & FR? There are gates which are used regularly, but they are anything but dedicated. If it has been raining heavily, the pax have to tramp through deep puddles of water in some areas. Both EZY & FR have had significant complaints from pax about the airport, which will hardly give them encouragement to operate new routes from EMA.
To change this would not cost a lot of money, but of course tarting up the retaurants and coffee shops is much more of a priority for the owners. This will doubtless subject the lessees to higher rents, and of course the customers to higher prices, and thus complaints. :sad:

almost professional
2nd Feb 2005, 18:02
The IDL expansion now underway, including new gates, should have been open last summer but for NWLDC, the other point is of course that the LCC's pay little if anything to the airport for the privilige of pushing pax through-the airport, to make a profit and survive needs those restaurants and coffee shops to prosper and generate income

barry lloyd
2nd Feb 2005, 22:34
Fair enough, but the provision of TV monitors which show in advance which gate the flight is going from, and computer terminals/printers which work when prompted does not cost a king's ransom. It's about allocation of resources.
Which is more important - passenger satisfaction (which will in turn drive up the throughput), or a new bicycle shed?
The congestion in the terminal last summer was horrendous, and then when it rained heavily, a not unknown occurrence in this country, the terminal flooded, and not for the first time.
I fear that those in control of the airport are merely tinkering with it rather than sitting down and planning the future. The ridiculous business with the name is surely testament to this.

nema/robin hood
4th Mar 2005, 16:01
Leicester Mercury - Friday 4th MArch 2005

" Up to 45,000 extra planes are to fly out of Nottingham East Midlands Airport each year.

The news comes just days after the airport was told it could introduce new flight paths over Leicestershire.

At the time of that announcement, the airport said the new airspace would not be "a licence to grow".

However, its environment manager Neil Robinson has since told the Leicester Mercury it is planning to increase flights by as much as 50 per cent, although he would not be drawn on when this would happen.

He said: "We would be looking to grow by 50 per cent.

"Like any other business, we hope that it continues to be successful and grows."

More than likely relates to Cargo flights - BUT could we see an expansion on the EZY and FR front ?
Let's hope so, after all WW are going nowhere at EMA with all their efforts seeming to be at BHX.

ATNotts
5th Mar 2005, 10:20
Let me see - some junior school maths required here..

45,000 flights leaving EMA each year - that means 45,000 arriving too. So thats 90,000 per year.

That results, supposing my back-of-fag-packet calculation is correct (which it may well not be!!) a little short of 250 extra movements PER DAY!!! OK, at some stage in the distant future this sort of increase MAY be a possibility - but I think we'll be using something other then Jet A1 to fuel the aircraft by then!

One day local newspapers may once again start employing reporters interested in reporting FACTS not total c**p peddled by the NIMBYs from East Leicestershire who have been voiciferously oposing the changes in EMA airspace and routings since the day it was proposed.

GRAHAM
7th Mar 2005, 12:53
Affirmative ATNotts.
Stand by for data from the CAA:

Aircraft movements for 2003 = 90,000
Ditto for 2004 ca. 95,000.

Robbo quotes 50% growth...
Err, that's a little more than 45,000 aircraft movements.

I wonder if some naughty person is giving out just the air transport movements (56,000 ATMs in 2004)? Much better PR to quote 50% of this methinks!

Around forty movements per hour (depending on the mix) on the runway at 24/7, that's...

...pass my calculator please.

I wouldn't like to be a NIMBY or anyone else for that matter trying to get a wink of sleep under that lot at peak times!

UPSAirOps
8th Mar 2005, 03:55
Anyone got any idea as to what the two BA a/c were doing loitering at EMA yesterday (07 March)? Couldn't quite see what type they were, but they stayed for a little while and then at least one flew out around 22.00 I believe.

phil_2405
8th Mar 2005, 07:56
The BA aircraft were properly there for maintainence, bmi does maintenance on GB Airways Airbus fleet quite regularly.

An article in the Leicester Mercury yday ( 7th March) stated Ryanair are planning to increase their flights from NEMA in 2006. They quoted Michael O'Leary as saying the routes would probably be from NEMA to new bases in Europe. Sounds like NEMA will not become a FR base but a 'focus city' for their operations.

The article also said easyJet has NEMA on their list of possible expansion opportunites, which are being considered.

Bmibaby are also constantly evaluating route opportunities from NEMA and all the other baby bases!

UPSAirOps
8th Mar 2005, 17:07
Oh right, the a/c in BA livery in that case, weren't using "Speedbird" callsigns - at least not the one I heard taking off. So that might explain why.

Expansion sounds all well and good, but no doubt there'll be the usual troop of people complaining about an airport that's provided thousands of local people jobs for more than 25 years.

phil_2405
8th Mar 2005, 20:34
There was a 2 page spread in a Leicester Mercury supplement today about Ryanair and an interview with Michael O'Leary. He said once again that NEMA will see new/more routes in 2006. :D

Ian Farquharson
8th Mar 2005, 21:02
The two BA aircraft diverted to NEMA from BHX after an Uzbek 763 blocked the runway upon landing.
They both returned to BHX at 22.30.

Ian

phil_2405
24th Mar 2005, 20:10
Is there any prospect of any further expansion of services at NEMA in the near future (either low cost or legacy)? The airport seems to have hit a period of stagnation and I find it difficult to think of any potential sources of major expansion.:confused:

GrahamK
24th Mar 2005, 20:43
New Astraeus flights to Banjul for winter 05/06

egnxema
25th Mar 2005, 07:56
I notice Air Malta now sell a scheduled weekly flight from EMA - MLA on Wednesdays, with a KM, not KMC, prefix.

Shome EMA has not mentioned it on their website. In fact the airports own website it really out of date on many pages, maybe that is an indication of the general lethargy in the company?

GrahamK
25th Mar 2005, 08:51
Aye EMA was announced as an Air Malta scheduled destination a few months back along with CWL,BRS and NCL

phil_2405
25th Mar 2005, 10:00
I agree the NEMA website is often WELL out of date on many pages!

For example:

Low cost carrier bmibaby will be serving 22 destinations this winter, offering a great mix of destinations on the continent and Ireland. They include Milan, Prague, Dublin, Belfast and Cork.

and

[I]easyJet have introduced their first service from Nottingham East Midlands Airport in the form of a daily flight to Geneva. Flights start from £15 one way, and can be booked online.

Source: http://www.nottinghamema.com/en/destinations-and-flights/scheduled/

DC10FAN
25th Mar 2005, 11:43
and the headline article on the newspage..they've just bought 6 new buses to serve the car parks.?? Is that news?

almost professional
25th Mar 2005, 11:53
it is if you had seen what went before!
well used manchester examples
looking good for IT in the summer, if all that is on the programme arrives-but would like to see more Easy/Ryanair growth as well-extension to IDL is coming on apace, all we can see out of the restroom now is blue!, mind you as we will be working on the taxyways this summer-overlaying tarmac-with various parts closed then perhaps major expansion would not be the best thing from an operational point of view, though as usual we will make it work somehow-I will be reaching back 15 years to remember how to work backtracking half the runway length!

30W
25th Mar 2005, 13:55
almost professional,

What exactly is planned? Backtracking is no good to me on the 767, we can't 180 on the R/W!! Certainly won't be making Orlando or Cancun from an intersection either......

30W

almost professional
25th Mar 2005, 14:35
not sure of all the details, but overlay is planned on certainly the taxyway to the west of the central apron-which is why work was being done around mike last week-guess that mike will be closed so backtrack to sierra on 27-though golf and hotel should remain open, so landing 27 off at golf and enter to backtrack at hotel-opposite procedure for 09 deps
taxyway to east of central also needs doing but job may be split over two years
going to be more of a problem for the ground controller than anything else-but may have to get the spacing right in approach-which when you take into account the new airspace and procedures coming in may will take some work!

30W
25th Mar 2005, 18:55
Cheers, see where it's going now......see the options now. At least enough left open for us to vacate and re-enter, as I said 180's without a turning circle on the end would creat an even bigger headache, plenty of paperwork, and a good gear washdown afterwards. Not to mention tea and biscuits in some nice management office for me:( !!

Squidward Tentacles
25th Mar 2005, 20:43
Sorry 30W

Apparently LGW and MAN crews are operating the vast majority of these flights. Bad news if you are a minor base driver, its the usual Canaries and night Turkeys until the end of Oct I'm afraid. Thanks for the advice on the planned WIP though. It would never have occured to us to actually read the notams/taxi charts etc.

This forum yet again proves it's invaluable contribution to flight safety.

Evil J
25th Mar 2005, 22:09
a.p,

Thats always assuming a certain tower only atco allows us into her tower once in a while this summer!!

Perhaps i mightt get to learn a trick or two from "when you were at Luton!!"

Just wait until the summer.......

almost professional
26th Mar 2005, 09:20
some creative rostering should sort that out and I'm not going to pass up the chance to regale you with tales of how it used to be!

phil_2405
22nd Apr 2005, 19:33
I went through the EMA departure lounge today, the extension is coming along nicely. I was quite impressed with the work to the rest of the departure lounge as well (new seating, re-done bar downstairs, changes to security area etc). Also the domestic departure lounge has gone now, it is simply gates 1-6. Its starting to look half-decent :p

Anyone else been through recently?

UPS@EMA
29th Apr 2005, 19:05
Looks like EMA is loosing out again to Birmingham on the announcement of a new flight to Newquay. I know its only newquay but a new route is a new route. Still no expansion plans at EMA for UPS and doesnt look like any new routes scheduled anyway on the horizon for now while everyone else expands around us.

Regards

Stu

Buster the Bear
29th Apr 2005, 19:35
Backtracking, all the BEST airports have this..., who needs fast turn offs and taxiways to the end of the runway!

15 years, how time flies!

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

UPSAirOps
30th Apr 2005, 05:54
The plans are there for UPS, they're just not being put into action - whether it's a hierarchy thing or something I'm not sure. Doesn't look promising though.

Had heard a whisper a while back we were going to start operating a route to MMX but have heard nothing more.

Next 'expansion' is the BBD6810 route getting a 757 to replace the 737 currently opereating the route. No news on anything overly major though.

phil_2405
30th Apr 2005, 18:44
The first NEMA departures for 2mw morning, the first day of the charter summer season including the two based SCY aircraft:

MYT517 Ibiza 04:55
SCY9971 Zakinthos 05:00
EZY6551 Faro 06:00
WW5425 Palma 07:00
SCY4471 Kalamata 07:00
FCA3702 Zakinthos 07:05
BY091A Palma 07:05
WW5963 Alicante 07:15

Call Established
1st May 2005, 21:53
Did both SCY units turn up for May 01st ??? rumour was they could only get one ???

almost professional
2nd May 2005, 08:46
first flight was done by an Excel B737-but expecting both units today-TCX flight yesterday was done by Eidelwise A320!

Flightrider
2nd May 2005, 08:57
I thought the second Scandic MD eighty-whatever wasn't appearing until 18 June? Very surprised if it pitches up later today.

phil_2405
3rd May 2005, 18:51
New NEMA destination started today - Shannon. Daily with Ryanair. :ok:

phil_2405
5th Jun 2005, 12:24
Is there any prospects of new services from NEMA in the future?!? The airport seems to have very much stagnated recently.

Does anyone know if easyJet still plan to add a fourth aircraft when NEMA changes to being an A319 base later this year?

I have heard we can expect more Ryanair services from approx November 05 (so fingers crossed!).

almost professional
5th Jun 2005, 13:06
wasn't stagnant between 2200/2400 friday night!-do not remember that many friday night IT flights for many a year-but not a lot of news on schedule front, rumours do still abound about Ryanair increasing the number of routes, and also about Easyjet upping the number of based aircraft to go along with A319 introduction-looking at stand remarking on the central apron apparently to squeeze the maximum aircraft in for slot1

Mike16
5th Jun 2005, 15:16
Hi Phil

Well the latest at EZY is that we are having 5 aircraft being absed at EMA from NEMA, i think we will have 4 in autumn and then the other is due in Spring of 2006, so keep those fingers and toes crossed !!!!!!!!!!

Mike

phil_2405
5th Jun 2005, 15:30
I heard about possible stand remarking to squeeze more aircraft onto the ramp!

I know people have said EMA has done well in keeping a good level of charter traffic and a busy Friday night would tend to support that.

Thanks for the info Mike16, 5 aircraft would be good although its still a way off from the likes of NCL and BRS :confused: Any ideas on possible new routes from easy?

MerchantVenturer
5th Jun 2005, 16:26
Thanks for the info Mike16, 5 aircraft would be good although its still a way off from the likes of NCL and BRS

But there is no bmibaby and Ryanair (apart from the DUB) at BRS, so you expect more easyJet a/c there when it is the lone low cost operation (excluding the tiny Flybe schedule that uses a/c based elsewhere).

phil_2405
5th Jun 2005, 16:48
But there is no bmibaby and Ryanair (apart from the DUB) at BRS, so you expect more easyJet a/c there when it is the lone low cost operation (excluding the tiny Flybe schedule that uses a/c based elsewhere).

Fair point

nema/robin hood
6th Jun 2005, 17:54
Let's hope that the story of 5 based aircraft is true.

Any ideas Mike of what new routes are favourite?

I can see NCE, BFS, AMS, CDG/ORY, SXF, KRK, BUD and VLC all doing well at NEMA.

The SXF is surely a MUST, as there is no Berlin service from anywhere in the Midlands.

phil_2405
6th Jun 2005, 18:25
I really do hope we get a EMA-SXF service, as you say nema/robin hood with no competition in the midlands at present it would be a good route to start. Berlin is a great city and I for one would use the route!

Other possibilities (in my opinion):

NCE
BUD
MAD

and the return of BCN?

Little Blue
6th Jun 2005, 19:41
Think you'll find that baby are covering BFS/AMS
and regional NCE/CDG....Wouldn't mind seeing a Berlin rotation, meself...hell, I'd even fly Ryanair if they were to do it !
;)

phil_2405
6th Jun 2005, 20:03
I don't think regional being on a route would stop easyJet somehow, if anything it might encourage them!!

I don't think we will see any new domestic routes or high freq's Euro routes (e.g. AMS/CDG) with only 1 new aircraft this year thou.

nema/robin hood
6th Jun 2005, 20:16
No harm in a little "friendly" competition with WW on BFS & AMS.
These are good little earners for EZY at LTN and could be for them at NEMA.

As for CDG/NCE - as you say they are now BMI regional routes -
Emb145 service's - Need I say more!! and NCE only 4 times a week !!

EZY would turn these routes around and offer "real" choice.

At the end of the day, let's face it WW have done nothing but play around with routes/schedules since the start - and not only at NEMA either!! WW was "created" at the drop of a hat because of GO's arrival at NEMA. Nothing more, nothing less!!

It's time now for the professionals to show what can be achieved.

Little Blue
6th Jun 2005, 23:34
Easyjet....the professionals? I find your arrogance quite staggering !
Take off your "orange" tinted glasses.
Baby, bmi,bmir, British Midland.....whatever...have all been around at East Mids since the place was built, but I'd never assume that we had the right to pick and choose our routes
as the mood fits.

Easy have also "played around" with the schedules ex- EMA for the same reasons baby have..Money....if it ain't making the dosh, drop it.
Isn't that why we're all here?
Unbelievable !:rolleyes:

phil_2405
7th Jun 2005, 07:58
I don't think you can say easyJet have played around with their schedules from NEMA to the same degree as baby. As far as I aware (and I stand to be corrected) easyJet have only dropped Glasgow/Barcelona and introduced Rome/Cologne.

MKDC8
7th Jun 2005, 08:03
Just wondering if anyone has heard if BA Cargo are planning (after 2006) to move freighter ops under one roof to EMA from their present airport ???

nema/robin hood
7th Jun 2005, 08:19
Exactly Phil_2405 - GLA & BCN are the ONLY routes that have been dropped by EZY at NEMA, and THEN they were replaced with CGN & CIA. Compare this to WW and well, come to your own conclusions !!

As for me being "Arrogant" - I apologise if that's how my post reads to some people, but I am only voicing my opinion, something that I thought was ok to do !

"Orange tinted glasses" ? Maybe I have, but rest assured Little Blue, I have used the services of both WW & EZY at NEMA, both airlines offering a great in-flight service, BUT still feel that EZY has "the edge". NEMA is a great airport and I just think it is about time that we had the choice of services we deserve!

almost professional
7th Jun 2005, 08:49
The BA cargo-ie Stansted based B747's-moving to NEMA is a rumour that surfaces on a regular basis-but can not get any of my contacts to confirm/deny, though you have to admit it would make sense in many respects, the aircraft are not infrequent visitors and there is room-just- on the western cargo to accomodate a couple more widebodys-unless the rumour of more DLH MD11's comes true!

Centre cities
7th Jun 2005, 09:43
Most airports have periods of expansion and then stand still for some time before expansion kicks in again.

This has happened at BHX lat year as an example.

If you think back before Baby and Go/Easy, only a few years, EMA was a passenger backwater with a few BD flights and a charter operation. Airlines like KLM and Lingus started and withdrew

Passenger numbers then increased greatly and so did the choice of fkights.

EMA has lots of competition around, from BHX, COV, LTN , LBA and even MAN. Add to this Doncaster and perhaps it is evident why pax numbers have not increased as some may have wished in the last couple of years.

EMA was early into the lo cost market and other airports have now caught up. It is no longer a requirement to drive from Leeds or birmingham to obtain large savings on a amily of 4 to Malaga.

In respect of business travel EMA has never faired that well and circumstances have not changed.

Freight is still boyant and passenger services will increase in time.

bmibaby.com
7th Jun 2005, 10:08
baby will be concentrating the majority of their flying in the Midlands over the next year at BHX. We may see some shifting of routes, but there will be no expansion of WW from EMA, if anything we will see a reduction in services as more based aircraft & routes go to BHX.

However, this is unlikely to mean that EMA will be left out in the cold, because rumours are resurfacing about more routes going back to regional over the next twelve months. bmi know you can't operate two similar products in the same market with different brands, and BRU/CDG have been doing very well under regional since the transition, and AMS & the Scottish routes could follow. It makes sense for bmi to have a presence here, as it always seems that the airport authority want to woo LH or LX to have a major hub operator here. Perhaps we might see that ...

egnxema
7th Jun 2005, 13:48
Almost Prof.

What size operation do BA Cargo have?

All seems to have gone pretty quiet on the new terminal building. Very careful scanningo f the ICC pages on the website reveal that it is something talked about, but hardly reported on.:hmm:

Any news? You're our eyes in the skies.

PS. AP - have you spied the new Tower at LHR? Do controllers ever suffer from "Tower Envy"?:)

almost professional
7th Jun 2005, 14:54
not sure exactly how big-isn't it the GSS B747/400 operation-two or three aircraft I think-perhaps a freightdog could fill us in!
terminal is still in planning stages I believe-waiting for concrete evidence of growth before commiting the money, though by all accounts the IDL expansion and associated changes have gone down well-I've not managed to drag myself away from the tube long enough to see it
and no there is no envy-we at least have a proper approach unit at the base of ours!

Fried_Chicken
7th Jun 2005, 22:58
not sure exactly how big-isn't it the GSS B747/400 operation-two or three aircraft I think-perhaps a freightdog could fill us in!

Currently 3 B747-400s although it has been mentioned that additional aircraft in the shape of B747-200s could be joining the fleet.

However, there are various rumours floating around that GSS are moving to Manston, then theres the East Mids one, also, I think Bournemouth may have been mentioned.

FC

phil_2405
9th Jun 2005, 11:30
I believe the new terminal building will be built when the airport reaches a set number of pax. They are going to try to time the opening of the new building as the existing terminal reaches capacity:confused:

SexyladyEZY
9th Jun 2005, 14:15
Hi Folks

Looks like we at Easyjet are losing our Edinburgh, think we are having a new route, lets hope so ! this is an Email we recieved today-
You may all be aware now of the cancellation of some of these services from 7th June 05. To summarise this is what is happening;

1. Monday evening
2. Both flights on Tuesday & Wednesday
3. Friday morning

This is until 29th July. August will remain to operate to the schedule. September is under consideration and I'll update when this is confirmed via ********* The reasons for this are operational. You will see the a/c sitting here and I know that scheduling are looking to replace the route with another destination.

Edi has been under consideration for some time within the scheduling team, although the decision to make this change was very late. Their focus was really on notifying passengers. This part of it was achieved and those passengers who customer services were unable to contact travelled on BmiBaby with no recourse to easyJet.

It has been recognised in scheduling this could have been communicated much better - I don't envisage this to occur again. I'll keep you posted.

Well i wonder if EDI is proving to much as a base to run ? may be EDI will close now ? and jusy have 1 super base in Scotland,makes sense really.

SexyLady

Folks

I used ****** to hide peoples name\'s, incase you were wondering.

Maria - SexyLady

phil_2405
9th Jun 2005, 14:57
Interesting. Do you know what operational reasons? When it says EDI has been under consideration for some time, do they mean cutting it all together from the NEMA network?!

SexyladyEZY
9th Jun 2005, 16:24
Hello Phillip

Well on reading the Email it looks like it, we heard a rumour the other day, a very strong one at EMA, that all domestic flights with BMIbaby are going to regional,and all the SUNSHINE flights are staying bmibaby.
I think personally EMA will suffer big time, our loads with EZY are always 100% full on the EDI,most of them are business PAX,but we do also carry Daytrippers,and i don't think they will pay BMI fares.
With FR at EMA now,only as a destination point,will they have a base here and take these routes over ?

Maria

bmi330
9th Jun 2005, 23:12
well........... this is the latest from Baby!

Our MD is telling all crews on our re-current courses that the three aircraft that Baby will be getting in the autumn are being based at, EMA, MME and CWL! There are no rumours about all domestics going to Regional, infact the opposite! Regional are only 'Baby sitting' the routes and that we will have the routes back, pending the delivery of the 3 extra 737's!

We shall see!! Thats all I can say!

Evil J
10th Jun 2005, 07:45
Is it just me or does that make no sense?? Why cut a route with near 100% load factor?? Its gonna be hard to better that on another route...

phil_2405
10th Jun 2005, 10:08
I have to admit, this decision does seem very strange :confused:

bmibaby.com
10th Jun 2005, 12:25
I haven't heard that any of the three additional 733s that will be arriving later in the year will be coming to EMA, other than to replace aircraft that are currently running towards the end of their leases. The major base in the midlands will now be BHX, and I've heard that the airport authority at BHX is prepared to offer very attractive rates to encourage baby to expand, far more so than EMA.

I wouldn't be surprised if more routes go to regional, or even mainline, and that's definately one of the fairly strong rumours that have been circulating recently. The main reason is the airline knows it can get higher yields on routes like AMS, EDI & GLA using regional as these routes are popular with business pax.

However, routes like AGP, PMI & ALC are definately baby territory, and they certainly do well on those routes. But there's still definately a chance of a major shake-up for this winter.

dcr1999
10th Jun 2005, 23:50
When you say chance of a major shake up - in what way?

bmibaby.com
12th Jun 2005, 19:07
dcr1999, the reason that I use the word "major shake-up" is that these are the words that I've heard a number of people from around the company use those words.

bmibaby is being wooed in a big way into BHX, and I know that the airport is hoping to get the airline to base two more aircraft at the airport some time over the next twelve months.

bmibaby took over all of bmi regional's routes from EMA in the winter of 2002 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the thicker routes which were operated by the Fokker 70/100, and these aircraft were in the process of being retired. Also, baby had a strong brand in the midlands, and rather than operating more than one brand in the same market, the baby service was heavily expanded.

bmi regional has successfully taken over the high-yielding routes from bmibaby; BRU/CDG where there is a stronger mix of business traffic than leisure pax. The same has to be said for AMS (although there is pretty strong leisure pax weekend breaking for this route) and the same could be said on the Scottish & N. Ireland routes. I've even heard that bmi could relaunch flights to the R.O.I. using regional flights.

bmibaby will probably stay at EMA, although mostly on leisure routes such as PRG/ALC/AGP, but with a much smaller presence.

I've been told that EMA's authorities are really pushing for Star Alliance members to launch flights from their hubs to EMA, in order to have a major hub carrier. I wouldn't be surprised if LH, LX or OS were being persuaded with their hub operations.

Centre cities
12th Jun 2005, 19:37
I would be suprised if LH/LX would be tempted with flights already operating only 35 minutes down the road, but one never knows.

Centre cities

acbus1
13th Jun 2005, 06:51
bmibaby took over all of bmi regional's routes from EMA in the winter of 2002 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the thicker routes which were operated by the Fokker 70/100, and these aircraft were in the process of being retired.
Almost totally incorrect.

In the Winter of 2002 bmibaby was set up from scratch and took over bmi Mainline Fokker routes purely as a copy-cat reaction to Easyjet (using Go painted 737's) setting up at EMA. bmi Regional didn't exist at EMA at that time.

Prior to that kneejerk, copy-cat reaction, bmi had been moaning for ages that they couldn't make EMA pay using the Fokker, because "there just wasn't enough demand". They'd already announced a proposal to move over to bmi Regional Embraer minnows in order to reduce capacity and to get rid of the Fokkers (hey you got that one thing correct, anyway.......but see later).

When Easyjet reared it's head at EMA (and lets not forget, this is the airport at which bmi says there's not enough demand), bmi set up bmibaby using 737's from LHR Mainline. There were redundancies of EMA Mainline staff (ground and flying), forced migration to LHR or press-ganging from EMA Mainline to baby on slashed terms and conditions (prime example of how they treat staff).

Just to round off the example of appaling planning, the Fokkers stayed on for years longer, at LHR, MME, LBA etc

Also, baby had a strong brand in the midlands, and rather than operating more than one brand in the same market, the baby service was heavily expanded.
Bit difficult to have a strong brand when you don't even exist. Easy to expand heavily when you're expanding from non-existant.

And now, in 2005 (and the rot started much earlier) we have bmibaby running away from the competition at EMA.

:rolleyes:

Flat Cap
13th Jun 2005, 09:02
Sorry acbus1, close but no cigar.

bmi regional DID exist at EMA prior to winter 2002 and had done in various guises for several years (BM Commuter and for those with very long memories BusinessAir), and I'd know as I was one of about 40 bmi regional pilots displaced to GLA,EDI,LBA and MAN that winter to "avoid brand conflict" with baby.

At its peak in 2001 EMA was bmi regional's largest base with 4 145's operating to ABZ, BFS (and latterly BHD), DUB, AMS, FRA, BRU, JER, and with occasional forays to CDG, EDI, GLA, as well as covering BHX-BRU and MAN-DUS. Ah, heady days.

Apart from that you're about right, WW was indeed a knee jerk to Ms. Cassini's intended invasion of Uncle Mickey's patch with GO. After that just about every employee in the group received a good shafting at some point during 2002. The ground staff had to reapply for their jobs at reduced rates, the fokker pilots were sent to LHR, the LHR 737 pilots were sent to EMA, us Regional guys were sent to Scotland, and the engineering staff were cut by about 30%. All in all not the best year in the BMI groups history.

Still we're all feeling better now.

Regards
Flat Cap

bmibaby.com
13th Jun 2005, 11:04
Actually, my point was about bmibaby taking over bmi regional's routes at the airport.

My statement has nothing to do with the original creation of bmibaby in summer 2002, when the airport agreed very attractive terms with GO to launch flights on a couple of sun routes, as well as domestically to GLA/EDI.

bmi's management at the time were not happy that GO had been offered the special terms to launch no-frills flights to the airport, and were scared of this new competition after having decades of a monopoly. EMA's management said that the rates were available to anyone who was wishing to use 737-sized equipment on no-frills services, so baby was created.

As the summer progressed, bmi regional introduced their new service onboard the Fokker & Embraer routes. A simplified fare structure & reduced cabin service in Economy. In the end, it was decided that rather than watering down bmi's regional services from EMA, that the airline would simply expand the baby product.

I don't deny that many bmi employees (myself included!) have been messed around by management as part of this restructuring, but the main aim obviously was to make bmi competitive on shorthaul routes from EMA, and at the time bmibaby seemed the best tool to do this with. Obviously, they've been proven wrong.

EMA has no major hub carrier. bmi serves CDG & BRU, but these are not Star Alliance hubs. It's no secret that the airport would like a full-service airline, and whose not to say that it wont be bmi-part-owner Lufthansa. The EMAFRA service was very popular, but was stopped by LH due to providing competition to their own UK-Germany flights. EMAMUC didnt work for WW because they couldn't provide interline agreements with LH, and the flight was in the middle of the day.

bmi regional did indeed once suggest going to all Embraer routes from the airport before the bmibaby proposal came around. I would still suggest as now there is no 100-seater in the bmi regional fleet (although rumours had surficed bmi regional was looking into, or had undisclosed options for, the 84-seat EMB-175) that the popular sunshine routes will remain baby for the forseeable future, although regional could take over others.

Watch this space. bmi are always full of surprises!

Evil J
13th Jun 2005, 12:11
Am I the only one hoping Baby will roll over and die at EMA so that a PROPER airline can have a crack at doing it properly? Step up EZY or RYR...

Thanks for the info SexyladyEZY- one of the last lines was quite interesting

"Discussions are also continuing with EMA airport (to consider additional aircraft for the base) but nothing can be confirmed at this stage"

Lets hope so...get in there Penny...

phil_2405
13th Jun 2005, 12:17
Hasn't it been discussed on here before that EZY staff have been told off the record to expect a 4th based aircraft at NEMA from this autumn??

Interesting that the GVA service will become NEMA based in the future.

easyboy
13th Jun 2005, 12:39
the 4th aircraft is a roumer that has been going about since we were told about getting the airbus.
I never believe anythign until I see it happen for myself, too many times people have said things and they don't happen only to lead to dissapointment.

Also a msg for Maria, you know that e-mail was NOT TO BE DISTRIBUTED OUTSIDE THE COMPANY

acbus1
13th Jun 2005, 18:16
......the main aim obviously was to make bmi competitive on shorthaul routes from EMA, and at the time bmibaby seemed the best tool to do this with. Obviously, they've been proven wrong
There was nothing wrong with the tool......all bmibaby did was to copy Easyjet/GO exactly in that respect.

What's gone wrong is exactly what could have been predicted when baby was set up........useless bmi management in the face of very competent competition.

Sorry acbus1, close but no cigar.

I won't split hairs regarding the presence of Regional when baby started up......as you say, the thoughtless banishment of Regional and it's staff was almost concurrent. That was another example of scandalous management I missed.....I must be getting soft! :ok:

Little Blue
14th Jun 2005, 00:55
Ay oop, AC. Long time no speak....
It really does pee me off to hear people slagging off
1 - The airport where I have worked at, or near to for the last 18 years
2 - The airline that I've worked bloody hard for the last....etc etc
Ok, the reasons for babys start up have been well documented over this and many other threads, but, what I find amusing is the comments, "wish baby would roll over and die at EMA ", or "bring in the professionals" as if RYR or Easyjet fit that particular bill.
EMA has been operational for the last 40 years, and there has always been a British Midland presence, and there will be for a long while yet.
This is our home base and while I may not always approve of certain decision-making from above, it doesn't mean to say that I'm not proud to work for bmi.
Changes are afoot in our world. Look and learn.

;)
And yes, I'm bloody tired, which is prob why I'm ranting, but it is 0155L and I haven't had me break, yet ! BAH ! So cut me some slack, please !:(

Mike16
14th Jun 2005, 15:26
Hi

Well trust me to leave Easyjet when they have new routes coming, i am shocked that the Edi is going as it was always a busy flight and a short one at that.
Knowing Easyjet though, they will take other routes of and just replace them with other routes instead, to stop boredom i suppose.
Like EZYboy said, believe it when you see it, at least East midlands is going to have Airbus now and the possibility of the 4th one is very strong,as when i was on recurrent in March this year, they were all talking about East Mids having 4 airbus.
Nice of Marie to give information,probably a little to much i suppose. Well that's Marie for you.... lol
Take care all of you

Evil J
14th Jun 2005, 16:11
LB

I don't doubt there will be a Midland presence at EMA for all eternity, what gets my goat is Baby constantly "playing" with EMA, when they would clearly rather be at Brum.

This IMHO discourages one of the other lo-co's moving in and giving it their all. I don't think the airport is blameless in letting this happen, and being a ship without a rudder for best part of a year clearly hasnt helped-hopefully the new rudder will take effect soon and se the situation right.

And if you are working for Baby, you have my deepest sympathy, I know very well how hard they work you.

Little Blue
14th Jun 2005, 18:29
Not baby, but the parents....although it may as well be the little un !
As mentioned before, some of the routes tried were adventurous, i.e MUC BGO, but they didn't come off for a variety of reasons.
I would love to see some route expansion but, BHX is opening its arms to baby and can you really blame the management for putting its eggs into the brummie basket?
BMIR it is, then !
;)

Mike16
16th Jun 2005, 08:32
Hi

Does anyone know if next Summer First choice will be doing their long haul again to Mexico, Dominican and Orlando ?
I ask as i went to the travel agent yesterday enquiring about a nice 2 week hols to Dominican and the dates i wanted were all sold out !
She said,it has really done well this year, so will they do this again next year or increase more routes ?
With By and MYT there as well and also TCX will they be doing more long haul from EMA ?
Any more news from Easyjet ?

Take care

almost professional
16th Jun 2005, 09:41
was talk that the Orlando would go twice weekly and the others to a weekly op-be great if so-can't see Thomson doing anything as after years of EMA trying to get them to go long haul they are using Doncaster instead

GrahamK
16th Jun 2005, 10:00
First Choice website still shows Orlando, Cancun and the Dom. Republic
Is there not any YYZ service just now? If I remember rightly, a few years back Canada 3000 operated YYZ-EMA-NCL-YYZ for 1 season I think. Surprised nobody else has picked it up, Zoom or Air Transat perhaps?

phil_2405
16th Jun 2005, 17:40
Looks like easyJet are definitely dropping the EMA-EDI route, all other routes from EMA are for sale now for this winter.

easyboy
16th Jun 2005, 17:45
Seems rather strange that the timetable for the EMA-EDI flights are still on the website but you can't book seats bast the 29th October this year - its all rather strange.

phil_2405
16th Jun 2005, 17:54
As discussed on here previously easyJet seem to have rescheduled many flights from NEMA for this winter:

Cologne moves to a 18:55 departure.
Geneva is now operated by a NEMA based aircraft, departing at 13:40.
Malaga moves to a 15:20 departure (slighter earlier).

The schedule seems to need 3 aircraft to operate but the third aircraft only makes 2 return trips in a day (ALC + AGP).

There also seems to be lack of availabilty on some routes...if you look in calender view for some months, many of the routes are not daily. :confused:

Only had a quick look now so sorry if I get anything wrong.

nema/robin hood
16th Jun 2005, 18:35
Having a quick look at the winter schedules, it appears that the following 'spare' slots will be avaliable:

Monday - 1 x afternoon slot
Tuesday - 2 x morning slots PLUS 1 x afternoon slot
Wednesday - 1 x afternoon slot
Thursday - 2 x morning slots
Friday - NONE
Saturday - 1 x evening slot ( given that the inbound a/c arrives from VCE at 1900 hrs. )
Sunday - NONE

Hope this makes sense ?

BUD, KRK, MAD here we come ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Mike16
16th Jun 2005, 22:18
Well the flights seem to be same as the summer schedule,well some flights seem to go a little early or arrive 5 or 10 mins or so. So the Geneva crew we wave goodbye to,well they will pop there heads up on a sat nite,as of the 2 flights that operate that
operate that day.
So i wonder when the new routes will be announced ? Come on Sexylady what is the latest today ?
Would be great to have a 2xdaily to Amsterdam,so you can have day trips there or even Berlin.
Lets keep our fingers crossed....

phil_2405
17th Jun 2005, 07:59
Where are these spare slots? :confused:

If you look at some months, the routes seem to be randomly missing some days but in other months a full daily service is back. As far as I can see March is a normal month, with all routes operating daily.

I hope we get some new routes but on this timetable I don't think it necessarily indicates any on the way.

nema/robin hood
17th Jun 2005, 16:56
Sorry Phil,

I was looking at just December - See what you mean now !!

Oh well - Here's hoping !!

MerchantVenturer
17th Jun 2005, 18:05
BRS and NCL (and possibly others, I haven't checked) also have days missing on some routes that in previous winters ran daily. Some of these days seem to be missing from December to early February, then restored as with EMA.

It maybe that this is a cost-cutting exercise by easyJet, preferring to keep the a/c on the ground in the traditionally poor time of the year for loads in the UK aviation industry, rather than send them out lightly loaded on the days of the week that experience has presumably told them are the worst days for business on a particular route.

phil_2405
20th Jun 2005, 11:58
Does anyone know if easyJet are playing around with the current EMA schedules again (as well as cancelling some EDI services)? I've been looking at going to Cologne in July but there doesn't seem to be any flights on Tuesdays :confused:

easyboy
20th Jun 2005, 22:46
It does seem strange.

We as crew haven't been told of any cancellation on the Cologne flights.

Will be interesting to see what's happening.

Mike16
21st Jun 2005, 05:43
Hi

Glad i am not the only one, i have just booked some flights to Faro,we are going at the end of November just for a few days, and there didn't seem to be flights on a thurs fri and sun ? So are EZY pulling back ?
Something is very strange here !!!!!!

bye

easyboy
21st Jun 2005, 10:40
Something must be happening but they are not telling anybody

Fried_Chicken
22nd Jun 2005, 00:00
I see Air Scandic are using a variety of different aircraft on their flights out of East Mids! I thought originally, a Finnair MD83 was to be based to operate these?

We've had Viking MD83s, Blue Line MD83, Aero Flight A320, Blue Wings A320 & Air Slovakia B757 recently on the Scandic flights

FC

Mr Angry from Purley
22nd Jun 2005, 02:01
EXCEL 737 operating last night, have not seen the Viking aircraft all weekend

Mike16
28th Jun 2005, 06:18
Hi Guys

I know EZY are cancelling a lot of flights in there winter schedule, well not all the flights are running daily, and we all know the EDI is going soon, but today on EMA website, it is now saying the Cologne is cancelled ? Anyone know why ?
Today there is no EDI, not this morning or this evening.
On another note, Thomas cook at EMA is crewed at the moment by BHX crew, like it has done for the last few years, but now they are recruiting for there own EMA based crew from 2006, will this mean they mayu have a base here over the winter of 2006/ 07 ? Does anyone know ?

Mike

egnxema
28th Jun 2005, 08:24
Plus...there is no flight to Rome today with EZY!

Anyone at easy prepared to let us know what is happening?

Almost Prof: Are easy aircraft parking up all day or do they pop off somewhere empty instead of operating the EDI CGN and CIA?

:hmm:

almost professional
28th Jun 2005, 09:26
aircraft have been sitting on the apron-does seem very strange this-almost as if Easy want to run the base down, any one in the know can tell us WIHIH?

egnxema
28th Jun 2005, 10:18
Checking the easyJet website July looks like this:-

ALC - Normal
CGN - No flights on TUES
EDI - No flights on TUES & WEDS

all other destinations - Normal

Come on easy guys & girls - we are all smelling something fishy - what do you know??

ALMOST PROF: I agree it does look strange, but I can't figure why a carrier would run a base down rather than just pulling the plug??

ANOTHER THING

Is it just me, or this summer does NEMA as a company seem to have developed a certain inertia (sp?), there seems to be a general acceptance of monotony and dullness. Take a look at nottinghamema.com news section and the company seem to be more interested in nature and nurturing local residents than it does in operating a vibrant passenger air terminal.

Is the a connection between the general mood and the long time change over of MD?

If there is a obvious agenda for the managment to be working on it should be:-

1. Court Ryanair
2. Court easyJet
3. Flirt, Court, Sell yourself unashamedly to a hub-major. (I'd head straigh to Schipol and plead with KLM to restart their AMS service)
4. Shout from the roof tops about the new terminal building
5. Take bmi/regional/baby out for dinner and lay your cards on the table. "Look sweatheart, this isn't working anymore is it?! I have given you my undivided attention for so many years and just do not feel you are committed to this relationship anymore. I hate to sound unloving, but either I need to see you putting as much into this as I am, or it is all off, we go our separate ways - your choice - I don't care that Daddy's big house is in the next village, either you show me that I am important to you, or be honest and just move in with your "lover" down at BHX!"

Mike16
28th Jun 2005, 11:14
egnxema

How nice, didn't think you cared that much for me !!!! LOL
That sounds really good, i love it ....
Well i use to work for EZY at EMA and must say it is a great base and has a great future there, i really don't know what is cracking of.
The rumours were all flying around last year like we are moving to Birmingham and then the doncaster one went around, and then the one with Manchester as EZY applied for 20 slots there last year.
When i left there at the end of april this year, EZY announced that they were getting the Airbus in by the autumn of 2005, and the stromng possibility an extra aircraft would come along as well, by the sound of things i don't think this is happening, maybe the routes they are doing these cancellations on are not busy these days ,so best to cut losses and not fly that day, a bit silly really when the aircraft are kust parked up doing nothing ?

Bye

egnxema
28th Jun 2005, 12:02
Where you at these days Mike?

Still flying?

almost professional
28th Jun 2005, 12:05
egnxema-how right you are, morale does not seem to be as high as it was, tied I think to the lack of forward movement-rightly or wrongly the impression is of inertia, not the dynamism of two years + ago, we do indeed need some good news-be it about new routes/operators/terminal development-things may be happening behind the scenes but that is no good for the staff at the moment
I also agree whole heartedly with your ideas re BMI!

Mike16
28th Jun 2005, 13:12
Hi

No not flying , working for civil service at mo, but want to come back flying but not lo- co again. Would be nice to get to a new airline at EMA as i only live at Castle Donington so commuting is no problem for me ! So come on EMA get some new airlines in !
Take care

emaint2003
3rd Jul 2005, 10:33
What happened to the previous MD? I heard he had a pretty good rep and got on well with the staff. NEMA seems to have come to a complete halt. Ryanair would be good move as a base, Easy from all accounts are really struggling with little idea what to do with all their aircraft. Hope NEMA gets its act together as BHX seems to be steaming ahead.

Mike16
3rd Jul 2005, 13:26
Hi

I totally agree that EMA needs to get it's act together, with Air Scandic having trouble all there flights are always delayed,especailly the Kos flight this weekend,over 30 hours delay now, i notice EMA keep changing the arrival time to not make it look so bad !
Easyjet are cancelling routes silly nilly, i spoke to one of the crew today there, she says that they cannot understand it either,as the cologne was cancelled the other day with 124 pax booked on it ?
Also the winter schedule is not so reliable,as certain flights only go on certain dates now, like the AGP and FAO .
She also said that they are getting the first Airbus on the 19th Sep 2005, and they have heard they are getting 5 all together by March 2006.
Lets hope so, or EMA is a bit doomed.

Bye

phil_2405
3rd Jul 2005, 13:36
The previous EMA MD left due to illness last summer I believe and never returned. The new MD, Penny Coates, has been with the company just over 2 months now, so lets hope she grabs the reigns and sorts the airport out!!

I am travelling to Cologne from EMA later this month and have been forced to rebook my inbound flight due to it being cancelled. I really hope all these cancellations are not a bad sign but all easyJet bases in the UK seem to have strange schedules for this winter :confused: Fingers crossed for 5 buses by March 06!

almost professional
3rd Jul 2005, 15:03
was told this week that the reason for all the cancelations on Easy was problems with crewing-mainly due to A319 conversions

Banzai Eagle
3rd Jul 2005, 15:27
NEMA is a second rate Airport, came in from CGN the other day, usual walk to immigration, snaking queue up and down isles of barriers, except there was no queue of passengers, why dont the handling agents "break" the barriers when hardly any pax.
But then i find out the reason, there is now a queue because there is a hold up at the immigration counter. 1 Staff and 1 non european passport holder, probably the CEO of Toyota or similar. So rather than calling for help or putting the individual aside we wait, now the barriers are being put to good use as another flight has arrived..
Eventually get through and see customs staff waiting, one chap looking like Elvis (well greased back hair anyway), sloped shoulders, leaning on the wall.
What a great advert, welcome to NEMA

almost professional
3rd Jul 2005, 16:10
Banzai-while not denying your experiences please remember that the members of HM customs and Immigration are not NEMA employees-we have no say in staff there, numbers, attitude or looks-they are most definetly a law to themselves-just as elsewhere-did you take time to make your problems known to the airport authorities?

Mike16
3rd Jul 2005, 17:10
Hi

Well i asked my friend today to see when she would be doing her Airbus conversion and she says,don't know, i then asked if anyone at EMA has done there's yet ? and the reply was no.
So to cancel flights because of this, is a lie, i don't know what EZY are doing but they will lose valuable custom now as BHX now do a CGN flight,and every other airline now does ALC and AGP etc.... they better make a move soon as the Airbus will soon be at EMA.

Centre cities
3rd Jul 2005, 20:55
The point that nearly every airport has Malaga and Alicante and Birmingham has a Cologne flight might be a reason for the dropped flights.

The important thing is that with the exception of EDI the routes are still served during the winter.

Mytravel lite did not run hardly any flights from BHX on a Wed last winter because it is one of the worst performing days. Other days on some routes were also missing. Baby are the same this winter.

This winter looking at the advance locost schedules several are not daily but miss the odd day.

Isnt it better to keep the black ink on a slightly reduced schedule during the winter rather than run daily with lots of red ink.

Centre cities

Evil J
3rd Jul 2005, 21:09
Mike 16,

Did I read that right, 5 EZY Airbuses based here from next March? That would be tip top if thats correct and just what the place needs, chuck in some based Ryanairs and we're talking proper airport again!!

But I wouldnt say the airport is doomed without, the freight seems to be going from strength to strength

easyboy
3rd Jul 2005, 21:19
5 airbus by march 2006 - I'll believe that when I see it.

As for dropping flight due to airbus conversion I doubt that very much seen as there are new crew joining all the time that are airbus trained, 3 or 4 in the last month or so I believe. And there are more on their way at some point in the near.

I guess the reason for not training us on the airbus just yet is so that we don't go out of check on it.

But it's certainly interesting seeing what people think is going to happen.

Buster the Bear
3rd Jul 2005, 21:28
almost prof, you are quite correct, the crews that can fly Boeing are being sent from every corner of the easyNetwork to fill the gaps in the roster that the conversion training is causing.

I understand that there is NO capacity increase for 2005-2006 winter yet on any easyJet network routes, in fact many are under the microscope, possibly for the chop!

Consolidation may well be the word with more Boeings being off loaded as the Airbus fleet expands.

Rumour also has it that the high profile launch of Gatwick to southern Ireland may well become a low key withdrawl? MOL will be laughing rather loudly then.

Senior management leaving easyJet, why? A good question eh, too much focus on high cost airports and German bases, will Dortmund survive the winter?

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

EastMids
3rd Jul 2005, 23:00
The new MD, Penny Coates, has been with the company just over 2 months now, so lets hope she grabs the reigns and sorts the airport out!!

Understand the new MD comes from Walmart/Asda. If so, she should fit in at EMA well - after all, both are into pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap! :p

egnxema
7th Jul 2005, 06:56
easyJet takes delivery of its 50th Airbus
Today (Thursday 7 July) easyJet, Europe's leading low cost airline, is taking delivery of its 50th Airbus A319 in Hamburg.

The first Airbus A319 was delivered into the easyJet base in Geneva in October 2003, where the airline began operating a mixed fleet and incorporating the aircraft into its network. Since then easyJet has taken delivery of more Airbus aircraft than any other airline in the last 20 months.

During this period the airline has successfully converted seven of its 13 bases in Basel, Berlin, Dortmund, London Gatwick, Geneva, Paris (Orly), and London Stansted into wholly Airbus operations. Nottingham East Midlands and Bristol will be converted later this year.

phil_2405
13th Jul 2005, 11:10
With the 8 new Ryanair services to Britain announced today with the exclusion of any new NEMA routes, does this mean we will not see any Ryanair expansion at NEMA this winter? :confused:

Mike16
13th Jul 2005, 14:13
Hi

What a lovely site from my back garden this afternoon in Castle Donington, a nice big Virgin plane doing take off's and landing's. I am no anorak but it was like a sliver colour with the four red engines, what is this one then ? it was a magnificent site to see it and so quiet as well.

Mike

almost professional
13th Jul 2005, 15:18
A340-300 was booked for training today-so guess thats what it was!

Mike16
13th Jul 2005, 17:28
Hi

thanks almost pro, she was a real site to see to see up here i suppose,makes a change for the usual EZY training and Fr ones.

Mike16
15th Jul 2005, 22:28
Hi

Can anyone help me here, on the website tonight for EMA on the arrivals it has 2 flights coming in for TOM, i thought they were based at COV ? it has a departure as well for PMI which is really delayed going just after midnight now .
Does anyone know why they are up here tonight ?

Mike

bmibaby.com
16th Jul 2005, 13:01
EMA has been taking some Thomsonfly flights diverted from DSA over the last fortnight. Not sure what the problems have been up there, but from Thomsonfly´s point of view the customer service couldn´t have been worse. Lots of people stranded around EMA wondering what to do & where to go. Odd, as TOM & BY usually seem to have an excellent reputation for passenger satisfaction!

airhumberside
17th Jul 2005, 16:18
CH Aviation reports that bmi baby will give up their Cork route at the end of November, is this true?

phil_2405
17th Jul 2005, 17:37
I don't seem able to book EMA-ORK for the winter with baby. Another route bites the dusts? :confused:

phil_2405
21st Jul 2005, 07:40
I've been told recently that bmibaby are planning to base an extra B733 at NEMA next summer, I guess one of their new Boeing's due? (not factory new obviously!). Anyone else heard about baby's NEMA plans?

Evil J
21st Jul 2005, 08:26
Do baby still fly out of here then?

bmibaby.com
21st Jul 2005, 09:30
When bmibaby opened up the new BHX base earlier in the year it meant that some of our aircraft & routes were transferred to that base from NEMA (grr!)

The airline has a chronic aircraft shortage which really needs to be addressed, especially when you consider that bmibaby is the only profitable segment of the bmi group at the minute (although I believe longhaul is breaking even.)

From the crew room grape vine we SHOULD, be getting additional aircraft next summer based at the airport, but that's bmi group aircraft. I don't know whether that means another Embraers or Boeings.

With regards to EZY's Airbuses, the crew I was talking to yesterday were convinced they were going for an Airbus conversion training course some time over the winter. :\

Little Blue
21st Jul 2005, 14:02
If u heard that the aircraft were going to come from the bmi group, then they sure won't be 737...baby have already got all of them.... Shame the fokkers have gone, eh?

phil_2405
21st Jul 2005, 14:42
I think he might have meant the rumour is the bmi group will base an extra aircraft at NEMA next summer but its not known whether that will be a baby aircraft or full service bmi mainline aircraft.

ALLMCC
21st Jul 2005, 15:29
Whether its a baby or mainline aircraft might be academic if the rumours about all becoming one again are true!

acbus1
21st Jul 2005, 17:46
The airline has a chronic aircraft shortage.....
Disagree.....they've got loads of Embraers.

They're chronic. :rolleyes:

eventmanager
21st Jul 2005, 21:59
bmibaby.com..

when you consider that bmibaby is the only profitable segment of the bmi group at the minute

Sorry but i think you will find that both bmi cargo and charter continue to make considerable profits for the bmi group sadly negated by other areas of the company, (both are pooled in to mainline for obvious reasons )

I think you will also find that BABY hasnt yet made an operating profit.

Lets not allow the truth to get in the way of a good story .....

easyboy
22nd Jul 2005, 09:33
bmibaby.com:

With regards to EZY's Airbuses, the crew I was talking to yesterday were convinced they were going for an Airbus conversion training course some time over the winter.

Our Airbus converstion courses start next month (and they will be completed by the end of the month).

The first Airbus dlivery will take place in September. The base will be converted by the end of the year.

Evil J
22nd Jul 2005, 19:26
But do we know how many EZY airbuses though?

Any news on based RYR's??

bmibaby.com
22nd Jul 2005, 19:53
Am very glad to hear that EasyJet will be replacing the hideous Boeing 733s at NEMA with brand new A319s later in the year. I've heard that the 319s are a delight to work on, despite the mini-galleys that EasyJet have had installed on them, and it will be very nice compared to the seemingly ancient ex-Go things currently flying around. I'm not sure how many aircraft are going to be based here, but EasyJet should realise that the airport is really ripe for expansion considering how everything really seems to be up in the air over here at baby.

With regards to Ryanair, who knows? I get to speak a lot with the ADMs, and despite all of the Nottingham routes performing well with FR, even the Shannon which a few people were quite sceptical of, Ryanair demand very attractive deals from the airport, which at the moment NEMA aren't budging for. However, rumours on the horizon seem to be that the airport would love Ryanair to do twice daily flights from their German cities; Niederrhein (Duesseldorf), Frankfurt (Hahn) & Hamburg (Luebeck) as the current once daily Cologne flight from EZY is not enough to support the large number of people who need to fly to Germany from the midlands. But based aircraft ... no idea.

I did hear we might be getting one Channel Express 733 instead of the current based A300 which sits on the tarmac all day. Perhaps we might be getting some Jet2 flights ...?

easyboy
22nd Jul 2005, 20:37
There are going to be 3 Airbus A319's at EMA, roumers are flying about that we are getting more aircraft, and that the airport won't allow us to expand till we get rid of the 'scrap' we have at the moment - but I'll believe that when I see it in black and white.

Roumers are just that until they are proven right.

Apparently the Airbus is miles better than the Boeing 737.

Things are looking up for EZY at EMA

phil_2405
22nd Jul 2005, 20:43
Would NEMA really not encourage any easyJet expansion because they currently operate older aircraft? It's not like they are operating B737-200's! I hope we do see some expansion soon, I believe the loads are good on all EZY routes.

As far Ryanair, I don't think we will see any based aircraft in the foreseeable future, just more routes in from other bases. The Shannon route is struggling apparently but is improving and you have to give routes time to develop I guess...I understand all the FR SNN routes are not performing excellently. Would love to see twice daily German flights but is the demand there? I think easyJet could definitely launch EMA-SXF.

As for Jet2, do we have too many loco's at NEMA already?? Which routes could they operate?

easyboy
23rd Jul 2005, 10:26
I was only commenting on what I have heard from many of the ground staff at NEMA that have good connections with the 'people upstairs'.

But lets be realistic, some of the Aircraft we currently have at EMA spend more time tech down route as they are so bad (well 1 is so bad it should be condemned and never be allowed to fly again)

Let's hope the Airbus brings some good news for us at NEMA.

The loads aren't too bad with us, we all know about the EDI route, but more often than not the others are pretty good, and now that the kids have broken up from school we should be pretty much full for the next 6 - 7 weeks - oh the delights of the summer holidays.

egnxema
28th Jul 2005, 09:53
Why has this commercial pilot not had a good nights sleep for 2 years when the new flight paths were not approved until a few months ago?:confused:

Jon Robins on how the Freedom of Information Act can be used to find out everything from MRSA levels in your hospital to planned air traffic over your home

Sunday July 24, 2005
The Observer

'I guess many people might regard where I live as being the back of beyond,' reflects Steve Charlish, of his home in Kings Norton, Leicestershire. 'But I chose to live here because I wanted splendid isolation. We might only be six miles from Leicester but there's no industry, no major roads, no trains and in the middle of the night there is a dead silence and then all of a sudden...'
Steve imitates the sound of distant thunder. He might have got his rural idyll, but it has been more than two years since he had a decent night's sleep. The reason for this is that he has the misfortune of living under a newly-designated flight path to Nottingham East Midlands Airport. :confused:

Steve, a 47-year-old commercial pilot and founder of Demand, a coalition of campaigners calling for a cap on flights into the airport, explains that the airport is the UK's freight hub. 'Which means night flights and lots of them,' he explains. 'People gripe about living close to Heathrow but there are only 16 scheduled night flights a night. We have in excess of 65.' He reckons he has been woken 13 times this week. 'When the planes come over head it sounds like thunder and I'm 26 nautical miles from the airport,' he adds.

Residents are waging a fierce campaign and claim they have been kept in the dark over plans to double the amount of controlled airspace over the county. They have long suspected that the number of night flights was about to increase by half - and this was confirmed earlier in the year after 12 months of hard campaigning. The campaigners now fear that maximum use of the single runway could mean freight flying into the airport every 90 seconds. They are also concerned about the development of a second runway.

'It was obvious from the start that this airspace expansion was all about building a three-lane motorway despite the fact that the airport was insisting the traffic would only be that of a B road,' Steve says. 'We are always in the dark.'

Demand was quick to see the potential of the new Freedom of Information Act, which came into force on 1 January, to prise open the lid on the policies of otherwise reluctant ministers and the aviation bosses. Some 100,000 public authorities are subject to the act including government departments, local authorities, schools and colleges, publicly owned companies and parliament itself - but not the security and intelligence services or the courts.

So Demand put in a request to the Civil Aviation Authority to find out who gave the go-ahead for the new flight routes and they also wanted to know why Leicestershire County Council was not included in the original consultation. Steve also wanted to know why three low-flying jets flew over his home last June before permission had been granted for the routes. 'But can I get any proper information out of anyone - can I heck,' Steve says. 'They just clam up.'

GRAHAM
28th Jul 2005, 21:58
Two years: ...maybe due to short-cuts from Clacton/BPK and on through Class G? Saves the firm time and money. Maybe even low level deliveries of recreational pharmaceuticals from the Low Countries? Who knows?

Evil J
29th Jul 2005, 08:16
...am too busy laughing to post a reply

(pulls self together)

....ofcourse being a "commercial pilot" Mr Charlish has never generated any aircraft noise!

A flight every 90 seconds, dont think they land that frequently at Heathrow, certainly not Gatwick, and NEMA could certainly never support a landing every 90s, not without every other one going around, the turn off's just aren't good enough.

I think this thread is running the risk of going the way of the Coventry one a while back, especially if it is hijacked by the complainers-so I shall keep any more of my opinions about these people to myself to save getting drawn into an argument.

almost professional
29th Jul 2005, 15:04
wot not even with you in the tower EJ!

Mike16
2nd Aug 2005, 16:29
Hi

I hope you are all fine, well was browsing the internet today looking for some flights to turkey and came across that airline i think that is being set up by the 18 year old, well it looks like they are coming to EMA ?
I copied the link , i hope it works
www.attitudetravel.com/uk/lowcostairlines/eastmidlands/
the website for alpha one is not working yet so we have to be patient here, but does anyone else no anything else ?

Take care

mike

easyboy
2nd Aug 2005, 17:04
I dont think so, as it also says that Air Wales and Flybe operate flights in the East Midlands, but they dont operate from EMA.

There is an Air Wales aircraft in EMA but thats operated by bmibaby

Mike16
2nd Aug 2005, 17:23
Hi

Well i hope he does come to EMA, be nice to go to LPA, are BY still doing the SSH this winter as i have read somewhere they are going to continue it in the Summer of 2006.

Take care

mike

phil_2405
2nd Aug 2005, 19:46
I see there is a small opinion survey on nottinghamema.com about where you would most like to fly to..do you think this is where airlines are interested in flying to or where NEMA wants airlines to serve?

http://www.nottinghamema.com/en/destinations-and-flights/destination-survey.html

Mike16
8th Aug 2005, 06:47
Hi

I hope everyone is ok,what a lovely weekend we have had with the weather, well yesterday we went for lunch in our village - Castle Donington at a lovely little pub called the Nags head, firstly i would love to recommend it to you,it was wonderful here, well whilst eating we kept noticing lots of cars going up the little lane next to this fine pub, so we were a little curious as we thought there was nothing here.
So after eating we decided to have a little drive up,well it was a little drive and we were met by about 20 cars and people everywhere,it was like a platform area for spotters and people who just like watching planes take of.
We were in shock i have lived in the local area for years now and also worked as cabin crew at the airport and never knew of this place.
It was fantastic. We decided to follow the signs called the Airport trail,what a lovely walk at the airport,basically in a nut shell it is walk along the one side of the airport in all the open countryside,i am glad i did this,i had a bit to much gateau,so i have walked that bit of now.,but really guys you should go down here,you have an excellent view of the runway and see all the aircraft,DHL were very busy and we watched the dreaded Air Scandic, i think they had bad delays over the weekend, think we have heard that before.
So many thanks to EMA for this lovely little treasure you have, i will definatly be back here.

Mike

egnxema
8th Aug 2005, 06:59
:D :D

Mike!! You've lived in Castle Donington for how long?? And you have only just found out what is up Diseworth Lane? :O

For the history buffs - Just on your left hand side, as you face the emergency gates at the top of Diseworth Lane there used to stand a big traditional windmill. It was the land mark that could be seen for miles, in much the same way that the current ATC tower is.

It was demolished in the early years of WW2 when the airport was an RAF base - too easy to spot from a distance.

I was a kid in Castle Donington, and our PE teachers at Castle Donington High School used to make us do Cross Country running along that side of the airport fence, then down to Hemington, then back to the High School. The only fun of running on frosty winter mornings were the screaming Orion Airways 737-200's in your ears, or the loud pitch whistles of the BMA Viscounts taxing past. :ok:

Mike16
8th Aug 2005, 07:53
Hi

I know, i feel really bad, but to put credit on my side,i have lived more at Melbourne side till recently, only moved to Castle Donington 6 months ago,but i thought i knew the area well .NOT !
but like i say earlier,it really is nice up there and well worth a trip out, but poor egnxema i could not do cross country up there especially after a big sunday dinner, plus i am getting old now at 35 !
Well maybe see you up there sometime

Mike